Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

Thanx Smooth_Criminal05 for your post.,appreciate it.

Michael Jackson's 2009 global album sales are 17.5 million (16 million since his death plus 1.5 million before then). Jackson has sold 18 million digital downloads this year globally so far plus 7 million DVD's and 3 million ringtones. That's a total of 42.5 million units sold so far.

In the final two weeks of October, entire month of November, and month of December I predict conservatively that his This Is It soundtrack will sell 3 million copies globally. His other catalogue albums will sell a combined 2 million albums. Jackson will sell another 1 million digital downloads, 2 million DVD's. That's a total of 8 million which takes his total 2009 unit sales to 50.5 million! It may even go higher then this.

What does mean - digital downloads? Albums, singles...???

As fas as I know, and believe in, This Is It album will be live version of the songs from the movie TII (and producers was to release this version than classic songs as a GH compilation), if so, the album will be huge a smash hit, Id say, it could sell more than 7... up to 10 mil. copies.

The 18 million digital downloads means singles. Michael this year so far has sold 17.5 million albums and 18 million singles bringing his combined album and singles sales for this year so far to 35.5 million.

As fas as I know, and believe in, This Is It album will be live version of the songs from the movie TII (and producers was to release this version than classic songs as a GH compilation), if so, the album will be huge a smash hit, Id say, it could sell more than 7... up to 10 mil. copies.

Sadly it's not a live version I LOVE the versions of his songs in This Is It and the 30th anniversay celebration.

The This Is It album will not contain any live recordings from the tour. Disc 1 will contain the original album versions of the songs performed in the movie. The songs will be no different then what appears on Essential, Number Ones, etc. The only new material to appear on disc 1 is "This Is It" the single version and "This Is It" orchestra version which is longer.

Disc 2 will have 3 earlier demo versions of some popular songs including Beat It, She's Out Of My Life, and Wanna Be Startin' Somethin plus an unheard spoken poem titled "Planet Earth".

Because of this, I imagine the album will debut at #1 in the US and in several international countries but not sell as good as a new album. If the album was 100% live then sales would be significantly higher. Regardless, I am predicting first week sales of between 120,000 and 160,000 in the US and 300,000-350,000 globally.

I think the album will do more than that....I think the people who don't have any of MJ compilation will buy this one. I think it will sell more than 300,000 in it's first week. See it's Amazone sales are quite steady. I think it will be a successfull album. I don't know why Smooth_Criminal05 is thinking little negatively about this album.

I think the album will do more than that....I think the people who don't have any of MJ compilation will buy this one. I think it will sell more than 300,000 in it's first week. See it's Amazone sales are quite steady. I think it will be a successfull album. I don't know why Smooth_Criminal05 is thinking little negatively about this album.

My estimates are conservative. I don't like overestimating on sales figures. While those are on the low end, I wouldn't be surprised if global first week sales went higher. We have to remember this is essentially another "best of" album which have been selling very well this year. Some MJ fans will not purchase this due to that. Others will however, such as new fans, or obsessive fans who buy everything. 350,000 seems to be a realistic number for first week sales, although sales over 400,000 are possible.

Thank you for all your number crunching smooth criminal05! I really appreciate how you break it down for us so easily.

I feel so happy for Michael because it's like the Thriller phenomenon again for him. But I just really wish that he could have been alive to really know just how much he was loved by so many all over the world. His music lives on and i think that was what he wished for more than anything.

Can you imagine when albums of all brand new songs will be released?! I hope that when that happens, the record company makes music videos, sends the producers on promotional tours, and basically markets the heck out of those albums! Those will be selling like hotcakes!

I somewhere read the album would be live...

Anyway, its an example of amateurish production..., they have the live versions and they will release the re-re-re-re-re-re-released old songs + 1 demo version of TII, by accident with the same title as the shows....

What a primitive management of MJs music...

I thought it was confirmed that this is it album will be another greatest hits album

Yes your right...for the most part. 90% of the material is essentially another greatest hits package. The only new stuff is the two versions of "This Is It", the 3 unheard demo's, and the spoken poem "Planet Earth".

When the new album is released in 2010, sales will be through the roof. It will be marketed as the album Jackson had been working on in the final years of his life. Not only will it debut at #1 on Billboard 200, the album will go #1 in as many as 30 other markets around the world. First week sales in the US could be as high as 500,000 in my opinion, with global first week sales easily exceeding 1 million. It will be the largest debut for an MJ album ever. I believe after the first year of the new Jackson album, US sales could hit 4-5 million which is amazing in today's market while global sales would hit 15 million...something unheard of in today's industry. Jackson would most likely win dozens of awards from Grammy's to AMA's, to VMA's, etc. It will be huge.

This Is It Soundtrack will sell well, but nothing compared to the new album trust me.

Yes your right...for the most part. 90% of the material is essentially another greatest hits package. The only new stuff is the two versions of "This Is It", the 3 unheard demo's, and the spoken poem "Planet Earth".

When the new album is released in 2010, sales will be through the roof. It will be marketed as the album Jackson had been working on in the final years of his life. Not only will it debut at #1 on Billboard 200, the album will go #1 in as many as 30 other markets around the world. First week sales in the US could be as high as 500,000 in my opinion, with global first week sales easily exceeding 1 million. It will be the largest debut for an MJ album ever. I believe after the first year of the new Jackson album, US sales could hit 4-5 million which is amazing in today's market while global sales would hit 15 million...something unheard of in today's industry. Jackson would most likely win dozens of awards from Grammy's to AMA's, to VMA's, etc. It will be huge.

This Is It Soundtrack will sell well, but nothing compared to the new album trust me.

OMG I can't *WAIT* for this new album!!!!

So will it be released in 2010 for sure? And will it be new songs his been working on in the last 5 years? Because we know he was.

Because of this, I imagine the album will debut at #1 in the US and in several international countries but not sell as good as a new album. If the album was 100% live then sales would be significantly higher. Regardless, I am predicting first week sales of between 120,000 and 160,000 in the US and 300,000-350,000 globally.

I agree

RELEASE LIVE ARRANGMENT ALBUMS.

Not him singing live, but just give me the 30th Anniversary Celebration versions of Beat It, The Way You Make Me Feel, and Billie Jean god those were amazing!

Are you 100% sure about this? Don't hype me up >: ( lol. I hope that it was music after Invincible as I really really loved that album and his style at that point.

This red marked quotation is wrong..., I am not sure, but lets say the MJs first week sales for Invincible was 3 mill. copies... :yes:

thats assuming its a great album and demand for MJ is still high

^ Demand for MJ will always be high! Are you kidding? lol

smooth_criminal05 always predicts correctly, so many other fans here always undergrad Michael and their predictions are always wrong, no surprises there! MJ is the greatest entertainer of all time, the most successful and the most famous celebrity in history.

Some fans just make me laugh when they doubt anything MJ related not succeeding, lol.

Last edited:
Well, I know that I will be buying more than my fair share of an MJ album of brand new material! A couple for me, one for my bro, one for my parents, one for the dog. . .. LOL! My dog is gonna learn to love MJ!

smooth_criminal05 always predicts correctly, so many other fans here always undergrad Michael and their predictions are always wrong, no surprises there! MJ is the greatest entertainer of all time, the most successful and the most famous celebrity in history.

Some fans just make me laugh when they doubt anything MJ related not succeeding, lol.

If I speak for myself I will say that I purposely try not to talk highly about the sales because from where I come from it is called the “evil eye” which means I don’t want to jinx it. I always believe in Michael and his ability to break records.

If I speak for myself I will say that I purposely try not to talk highly about the sales because from where I come from it is called the “evil eye” which means I don’t want to jinx it. I always believe in Michael and his ability to break records.
My mom believes in the evil eye so I understand.

This red marked quotation is wrong..., I am not sure, but lets say the MJs first week sales for Invincible was 3 mill. copies... :yes:

Invincible sold around 330,000 copies in it's debut week in the US. When the new Jackson album is released, sales will be higher due to the larger fanbase after Jackson's death. I think first week sales of 500,000 are realistic this time around in the US.

Invincible sold around 330,000 copies in it's debut week in the US. When the new Jackson album is released, sales will be higher due to the larger fanbase after Jackson's death. I think first week sales of 500,000 are realistic this time around in the US.

Yea. but hes talking worldwide. It sold 3 million in just 5 days :eek:

NEW US NUMBERS RELEASED: JACKSON IS BACK IN TOP 10

-Due to high media coverage last week (This Is It single, Kenny Ortega's Oprah Appearance, etc), Jackson's catalogue sales increased this week.

-Sales of Thriller surged 56% from last week and edged up to #24 from #44 last week. (that's a gain of 20 spots on the US charts). The album sold over 20,000 copies.

-Number Ones also experienced a sales boom of 48% over last week. This allowed the album to re-appear in the Top 10 at #7 (compared to #21 last week). Number Ones sold close to 39,000 copies.

-Overall album sales were 116,000 this week, up from 89,000 the week before. (Remember, the week before Jackson's death his entire catalogue sold 10,000 copies so sales are still up over 10 fold).

-Total album sales in the US since Jackson's death now stand at 5.73 million.

NEW US NUMBERS RELEASED: JACKSON IS BACK IN TOP 10

-Due to high media coverage last week (This Is It single, Kenny Ortega's Oprah Appearance, etc), Jackson's catalogue sales increased this week.

-Sales of Thriller surged 56% from last week and edged up to #24 from #44 last week. (that's a gain of 20 spots on the US charts). The album sold over 20,000 copies.

-Number Ones also experienced a sales boom of 48% over last week. This allowed the album to re-appear in the Top 10 at #7 (compared to #21 last week). Number Ones sold close to 39,000 copies.

-Overall album sales were 116,000 this week, up from 89,000 the week before. (Remember, the week before Jackson's death his entire catalogue sold 10,000 copies so sales are still up over 10 fold).

-Total album sales in the US since Jackson's death now stand at 5.73 million.

HDD figures from last week were wrong ! Soundscan had higher figures. that explains this increase for HDD.

Sales are strong though.

HDD figures from last week were wrong ! Soundscan had higher figures. that explains this increase for HDD.

Sales are strong though.

I often find HDD and Soundscan are off in their sales count. HDD had Jackson sales very low last week, while soundscan had them higher. It will be interesting to see Soundscans numbers tomorrow. Regardless, MJ is back in the top 10!

Back