Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

US SALES THIS WEEK:

Michael Jackson album sales maintained strong sales in the US this week. Jackson's Number Ones album is #8 on the charts, the same as last week. Overall sales declined however. MJ had two other titles in the Top 50 including The Essential at #37 and Thriller at #43.

-Total album sales this week in the US were 120,000 compared to 145,000 last week.

-It is the 14th week since the passing of Michael Jackson. In each and every one of those weeks, MJ has ALWAYS had a Top 10 album in the US.

-We will continue to see these small declines each week until late October when This Is It the movie, soundtrack, and single are released. By November sales should surge in my opinion.

Last edited:
I apologize if it's a stupid question, does the Special Edition Albums, Thriller 25 (Vinyl and CD) counts for the original ones? For example increase the 100+ milllion copies that Thriller has. All my records are special edition.

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps the beetles new albums are selling slower than expected (in the US) if these figures on HitsDD continues until the closing date: http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

Wow. The Beatles sales are not going as good as predicted.

They are dropping in sales.

And MJ continues to sell consistently well.

I've noticed that The Beatles re-releases aren't doing as well as was expected. They sold a lot in the first week but second week they dropped by a huge amount, the vast majority of the albums dropped in sales by more than 50%.

don't mention this to any Beatles fans. Before the release of remastered albums they were all over the net saying how the Beatles were going to dominate and make MJs sales look insignificant this year. Since the first week of release they've been denying that they predicted great things for those albums! They're gutted. LOL

Week Ending Sept. 27, 2009: Battle Of The Pop Titans

Michael Jackson's Number Ones regains the #1 spot on the Catalog chart, sending the Beatles' Abbey Road packing after just two weeks on top. I expected the Beatles' catalog resurgence to last longer and I thought Jackson's posthumous sales spurt would subside more quickly. But fans had other ideas. Number Ones sold 39,000 copies this week and would have climbed from #9 to #8 if catalog albums were eligible to compete on The Billboard 200. Abbey Road sold 29,000 and would have dropped from #7 to #17.

Number Ones remains the year's best-selling album, with sales since Jan. 1 of 1,876,000 copies. The hit-studded collection has sold more copies this year than it did from the time of its release in November 2003 through the end of 2008 (1,708,000).

Here are some more amazing stats: Jackson has sold 5,280,000 albums since he died in June. In just three months, he has sold more than half as many albums as he did in the 9-1/2 years between Jan. 1, 2000 and his death. (He sold 10,245,000 albums in that period.) The week before he died, Jackson ranked #47 on Nielsen/SoundScan's running list of the best-selling albums in its history (which dates back to 1991). He currently ranks #28.

This is the 12th week at #1 on the catalog chart for Number Ones. That's the most weeks that any album has topped this chart in a calendar year since Johnny Cash's 16 Biggest Hits was the #1 catalog album for 19 weeks in 2006. In both cases, the albums were released years before the artists died, and topped the catalog chart for the first time the week following the artists' deaths. (Cash's album was released in 1999. He died in 2003.)

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/ch...ending-sept-27-2009-battle-of-the-pop-titans/

Week Ending Sept. 27, 2009: Battle Of The Pop Titans

Michael Jackson's Number Ones regains the #1 spot on the Catalog chart, sending the Beatles' Abbey Road packing after just two weeks on top. I expected the Beatles' catalog resurgence to last longer and I thought Jackson's posthumous sales spurt would subside more quickly. But fans had other ideas. Number Ones sold 39,000 copies this week and would have climbed from #9 to #8 if catalog albums were eligible to compete on The Billboard 200. Abbey Road sold 29,000 and would have dropped from #7 to #17.

Number Ones remains the year's best-selling album, with sales since Jan. 1 of 1,876,000 copies. The hit-studded collection has sold more copies this year than it did from the time of its release in November 2003 through the end of 2008 (1,708,000).

Here are some more amazing stats: Jackson has sold 5,280,000 albums since he died in June. In just three months, he has sold more than half as many albums as he did in the 9-1/2 years between Jan. 1, 2000 and his death. (He sold 10,245,000 albums in that period.) The week before he died, Jackson ranked #47 on Nielsen/SoundScan's running list of the best-selling albums in its history (which dates back to 1991). He currently ranks #28.

This is the 12th week at #1 on the catalog chart for Number Ones. That's the most weeks that any album has topped this chart in a calendar year since Johnny Cash's 16 Biggest Hits was the #1 catalog album for 19 weeks in 2006. In both cases, the albums were released years before the artists died, and topped the catalog chart for the first time the week following the artists' deaths. (Cash's album was released in 1999. He died in 2003.)

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/ch...ending-sept-27-2009-battle-of-the-pop-titans/

I do not understand what they are referring to in the sentence I bolded. Can someone explain that statistic for me and what they are using to derive it?

This Is It will probably send a major boost in sales, especially with the new single coming out on the 12th and the new album.

GLOBAL SALES FOR THIS WEEK:

-Jackson catalogue sold 338,000 albums this week compared to 384,000 last week.

-Jackson has 4 albums in Top 40 including: Thriller (#24), Number Ones (#25), Essential (#34), Bad (#37) .

-Thriller was the weeks biggest seller shifting 53,000 copies followed closely by Number Ones at 52,000 copies.

-Total global album sales since Jackson's death are now 15.47 million.

Now all we can do is wait for This Is It to drop on Oct 26th/27th around the world which will give a big boost to Jackson's CD sales plus with the movie coming on the 28th we should be looking at some impressive numbers in the first two weeks of November!

I do not understand what they are referring to in the sentence I bolded. Can someone explain that statistic for me and what they are using to derive it?

In Soundscan album sales MJ rnked as the the #47th biggest selling albums artist in the US since 1991.

Now with his death, he has moved up to #23.

Now you know what soundscan is right? It is a new way of tracing US sales all by computer, which means it more accurate than before.

It started in 1991 and only represents US sales.

The problem is, since it started in 1991, it was AFTER MJs peak success in the US(Thriller).

So this list doesn't do him any justice.

In Soundscan album sales MJ rnked as the the #47th biggest selling albums artist in the US since 1991.

Now with his death, he has moved up to #23.

Now you know what soundscan is right? It is a new way of tracing US sales all by computer, which means it more accurate than before.

It started in 1991 and only represents US sales.

The problem is, since it started in 1991, it was AFTER MJs peak success in the US(Thriller).

So this list doesn't do him any justice.

Thanks for the explanation! :)

But I think everyone can agree that MJ is one of the biggest selling artists of all time!

Thanks for the explanation! :)

But I think everyone can agree that MJ is one of the biggest selling artists of all time!

Oh yes.

He is easily among the top 3. Along with The Beatles and Elvis.

I assume its in this order.

1. the Beatles

2. MJ

3. Elvis

US FIGURES UPDATED:

-Jackson sold another 100,000 albums this week in the US bringing his total to 5.5 million.

-Number Ones, Essential, and Thriller were all in the Top 50.

Last edited:
Sales of Thriller actually increased in the US this week.

don't mention this to any Beatles fans. Before the release of remastered albums they were all over the net saying how the Beatles were going to dominate and make MJs sales look insignificant this year. Since the first week of release they've been denying that they predicted great things for those albums! They're gutted. LOL

Have you seen how hard they fell this week! I am sure their fans will be very disappointed.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

Global Sales This Week:

-For the first time since Jackson's death, MJ had no entries in the global top 40.

-Jackson's catalogue sold 286,000 albums this week with Number Ones and Thriller the top sellers which just missed the top 40.

-Jackson's total album sales since his death now stand at 15.86 million

*Even though The Beatles catalogue has done not as good in the US, globally the albums are very popular, they sold another 1,000,000 albums this week! Since they were released a month ago they have sold over 6,000,000 albums globally!

^ isn't that what you predicted they would sell by dec? oh no they might beat MJ this year... ah well MJ is still the king, he had no new releases.

^ isn't that what you predicted they would sell by dec? oh no they might beat MJ this year... ah well MJ is still the king, he had no new releases.

Jackson has sold 16.2 million albums in 2009 vs 6.5 million for the Beatles. By years end I suspect The Beatles will be at 11 million while Jackson should hit 20 million. So I wouldn't worry about The Beatles overtaking Jackson.

*Even though The Beatles catalogue has done not as good in the US, globally the albums are very popular, they sold another 1,000,000 albums this week! Since they were released a month ago they have sold over 6,000,000 albums globally!

I see! hmm... I missed that, thanks for the update :)

MJ's new TII album is the best seller at No.1 on Amazon UK, it will be interesting to observe the sales after TII online premier today. I feel that TII album might kill the sales of Number Ones, we'll see.

I'd be nice if TII have 5 or 10 millions copies sold because since June 25th "new fans" came out.
Michael has more fans since then so he should sale more.

God I am angry!!! Just read the Herald Sun in Australia and the stupid music reporter named Cameron Adams wrote an article where the fool said that 5 million copies of Michael's back catalogue have sold worldwide since his death!!! Grrrr friken racist reporters! 15 million copies have sold since Michael's death!!!!

I'm going to find the contact details of this reporter and complain.

People complain here about that reporter named Cameron Adams: E-mail: news@heraldsun.com.au

I can't find a specific email but if you email the above address and ask for that specific reporters email as you have a complaint regarding non accurate reporting by Cameron Adams.

P.S: Put it in your own words. Don't copy and paste what I wrote here as they will not take your emails seriously if everyone's email sounds the same.

God I am angry!!! Just read the Herald Sun in Australia and the stupid music reporter named Cameron Adams wrote an article where the fool said that 5 million copies of Michael's back catalogue have sold worldwide since his death!!! Grrrr friken racist reporters! 15 million copies have sold since Michael's death!!!!

I'm going to find the contact details of this reporter and complain.

They are ignorant reporters! I can’t understand why they have such a backward mentality! These days you can verify information so easily from the internet. I bet many people won’t buy that and they will go online to check it. It is not like we’re living in the old ages when we only have what we are told on TV and newspapers, things changed and these types of reporters make fools of themselves.

They are ignorant reporters! I can’t understand why they have such a backward mentality! These days you can verify information so easily from the internet. I bet many people won’t buy that and they will go online to check it. It is not like we’re living in the old ages when we only have what we are told on TV and newspapers, things changed and these types of reporters make fools of themselves.
I wrote an email to the address I posted above and got this response:

Hi Isabella,

We can’t provide you with a direct email address for Cameron, however if you send an email to the news desk at news@heraldsun.com.au and attention it to Cameron we can pass that along.

For complaints you can email the Reader Helpline email address helpline@heraldsun.com.au.

This will be passed along to the editor.

Best regards,

Nathan Mawby

Herald Sun Editorial Assistant

9292 1226

40 City Rd, Southbank

Here is an update from Amazon music best sellers:

Today Michael's TII CD reached number 2 on Amazon USA on top-ten best sellers yesterday it was 3rd. I hope it reaches #1 in the US soon.

It is still number 1 on Amazon UK since yesterday.

Back