Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

Thanks for up dates Arabian Knight :), Michael's sales are still like hot cakes :whoohoo:

GO MICHAEL; GO MICHAEL!! :clapping:

It's strange The Beatles aren't selling as good as Michael, they have lots of fans as well. :unsure:

Thanks for up dates Arabian Knight :), Michael's sales are still like hot cakes :whoohoo:

GO MICHAEL; GO MICHAEL!! :clapping:

It's strange The Beatles aren't selling as good as Michael, they have lots of fans as well. :unsure:

Not as many as the media wants YOU to think.

JACKSON SELLS 90,000 ALBUMS IN THE US LAST WEEK

-Number Ones and Thriller are in the top 50. Essential just misses.

-Thriller sales were up as we get closer to Halloween. The album is #44 in the US, while Number Ones is at #21.

-I expect sales to increase next week as buzz from the new single and increased media coverage will positively impact the MJ catalogue.

Watch out for Taylor Swift, her album "fearless" entered the top ten again, a huge jump from 20 to 10, will check thoes sales updates again...

Beware MJ Fans;
MJ fans are being warned to be on their guard as spammers try and take advantage of demand surround the release of the singer's posthumous 'This is it' track.

Symantec, makers of Norton security software, has warned that unscrupulous criminals are spamming Michael Jackson fans with a link to song. The track actually premiered on MichaelJackson.com at midnight on the 12th October. However the link on the dodgy email downloads software onto a user's computer allowing it to be controlled remotely.

Read all: http://www.techdigest.tv/2009/10/this_is_it_-_th.html

Taylor Swift's Fearless sold 5,000 more copies compared to Number Ones this week. Sales of Fearless are doing amazing and have been unbelievably consistent all year. Fearless will be re-released at the end of the month and by the second week of November Fearless will overtake Number Ones as the best selling album of 2009.

And because of Kanye she took over the news instead of Michael's tribute and AGAIN because of Kanye everyone is going to vote for her to win nominations.

I think it's partially due to the poor planning on Apple/EMI's parts--a lot of fans (myself included) had a lot of difficulty tracking down the box sets. I'm still waiting on my Amazon.com mono box order.

But I don't think they were ever going to surpass MJ this year--most fans already have their catalog on CD; not everyone felt a need to upgrade.

Isn't Taylor Swift's new release consider as a new album??

The sales of Thriller and Number Ones have increased globally this week. Thriller has sold 61,000 copies this week making it the 20th biggest selling album this week while Number Ones sold 54,000 making it the 25th biggest selling album of this week.

JACKSON SALES INCREASE GLOBALLY THIS WEEK

-As we get closer to the release of This Is It and Halloween, sales of Jackson's catalogue increased this past week around the world. The release of "This Is It" to radio also contributed to the increase in sales as it got Jackson's name out there in the media.

-Thriller was the 20th biggest selling album shifting 61,000 copies. Total 2009 sales stand at 3.3 million.

-Number Ones was the 25th biggest selling album shifting 54,000 copies. Total 2009 sales stand at 2.9 million

-Jackson's total catalogue sold 320,000 albums this week up from 290,000 the week before.

-Total album sales since Jackson's death broke over 16 million this week!

*I imagine next week sales will continue to increase. We have a new magazine (ET) coming out this weekend with Jackson on the cover, promo on Oprah Friday, a Dancing with the stars tribute next week, plus we are getting even closer to Halloween and This Is It The Movie. The biggest week of sales will for sure be the numbers which come in Nov 3rd-5th. Now that will be interesting.

Last edited:
As previously reported, for the second time since his passing, Michael Jackson has taken radio by storm.

The King of Pop's "This Is It" earns its first Billboard chart ink with a No. 43 debut on R&B/Hip-Hop Songs. The song is Jackson's landmark 50th career entry on the survey.

"This Is It" charges in after just two days of airplay in the chart's tracking week. It's Jackson's first chart appearance since "One More Chance" wrapped a 19-week run on Feb. 28, 2004, after reaching No. 40.

Despite radio and fans abuzz about the ballad, Epic Records does not plan to release the song as a digital single, instead electing to offer it only on the Jackson hits package "This Is It," due Oct. 27.

Without a digital component, the track's potential to dent the Billboard Hot 100 will be compromised.

Still, Skip Dillard, operations manager of Inner City adult R&B WBLS (107.5 FM)/New York, echoes the majority of radio's largely positive outlook about the song.

"It seems that everyone remains attached to all things Michael, so the reaction so far has been all-thumbs-up. We'll see what our listeners say after we play it more."

http://www.billboard.com/column/cha...ursday-michael-buble-michael-1004022719.story

'Michael Jackson's This Is It' Set To Become Biggest Concert Film Of All Time;
But while the presale numbers are impressive, some are suggesting that "Michael Jackson's This Is It" could shatter box-office records. According to a report by Hollywood gossip czar Nikki Finke, concert promoter AEG (which also financed the film) is predicting that it will take in a total of $250 million in its first five days alone, which would make it the biggest opening of all time (besting current title-holder "The Dark Knight," which earned $203 million in its first five days).

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1623916/20091015/jackson_michael.jhtml

But the record for first weeks earning is hold by Dark Night with 158M in it's first week of release(3 days).....203M is it's first 5 days sales. So I guess this will be a new BoxOffice record.

JACKSON SALES INCREASE GLOBALLY THIS WEEK

-As we get closer to the release of This Is It and Halloween, sales of Jackson's catalogue increased this past week around the world. The release of "This Is It" to radio also contributed to the increase in sales as it got Jackson's name out there in the media.

-Thriller was the 20th biggest selling album shifting 61,000 copies. Total 2009 sales stand at 3.3 million.

-Number Ones was the 25th biggest selling album shifting 54,000 copies. Total 2009 sales stand at 2.9 million

-Jackson's total catalogue sold 320,000 albums this week up from 290,000 the week before.

-Total album sales since Jackson's death broke over 16 million this week!

*I imagine next week sales will continue to increase. We have a new magazine (ET) coming out this weekend with Jackson on the cover, promo on Oprah Friday, a Dancing with the stars tribute next week, plus we are getting even closer to Halloween and This Is It The Movie. The biggest week of sales will for sure be the numbers which come in Nov 3rd-5th. Now that will be interesting.

I hope your predictions to come true and to exceed our expectations. I always try to underestimate sales forecast, this is just may habit :) but I really hope that we’ll see a significant increase in sales.

Since the new movie “THIS IS IT” will show rehearsals of songs which are available in all Michael’s Greatest Hits albums then we can expect people to buy any of them, sales might reflect on all of them not just the soundtrack. This is a very important advantage that we have over Tylor Swift even with her new re-release, Michael’s singles, albums, etc… have a great potential to increase sales since they will be promoted in a sold-out box office hit movie. We shouldn’t be disappointed if Michael didn’t have the best selling album of 2009, his own albums compete with each other… Most importantly he is the best selling artist of 2009 and that’s really important because he didn’t release a new album (TII not included in 2009).

Thriller is the 3rd biggest selling album of the year so far with 3.3 million copies sold according to mediatraffic. I think it will overtake U2 who are currently in 2nd place within the next 3 or 4 weeks since their album No Line On The Horizon is only 100,000 copies ahead. Plus the Thriller album will increase in sales due to Halloween and the This Is It movie.

Last edited:
Thriller is the 3rd biggest selling album over the year with 3.3 million copies sold according to mediatraffic. I think it will overtake U2 who are currently in 2nd place within the next 3 or 4 weeks since their album No Line On The Horizon is only 100,000 copies ahead. Plus the Thriller album will increase in sales due to Halloween and the This Is It movie.

I hope so :praying

Yep and then if you add singles sales on top of that Michael has sold a total of 31 million + so far this year.

Michael Jackson's 2009 global album sales are 17.5 million (16 million since his death plus 1.5 million before then). Jackson has sold 18 million digital downloads this year globally so far plus 7 million DVD's and 3 million ringtones. That's a total of 42.5 million units sold so far.

In the final two weeks of October, entire month of November, and month of December I predict conservatively that his This Is It soundtrack will sell 3 million copies globally. His other catalogue albums will sell a combined 2 million albums. Jackson will sell another 1 million digital downloads, 2 million DVD's. That's a total of 8 million which takes his total 2009 unit sales to 50.5 million! It may even go higher then this.

Just wondering, doesn't this mean MJ's total sales would be leaning towards 800 million in total rather than 750 like its been reported for the last few years???

Michael Jackson's 2009 global album sales are 17.5 million (16 million since his death plus 1.5 million before then). Jackson has sold 18 million digital downloads this year globally so far plus 7 million DVD's and 3 million ringtones. That's a total of 42.5 million units sold so far.

In the final two weeks of October, entire month of November, and month of December I predict conservatively that his This Is It soundtrack will sell 3 million copies globally. His other catalogue albums will sell a combined 2 million albums. Jackson will sell another 1 million digital downloads, 2 million DVD's. That's a total of 8 million which takes his total 2009 unit sales to 50.5 million! It may even go higher then this.
um.. you didn't count single sales though.

Just wondering, doesn't this mean MJ's total sales would be leaning towards 800 million in total rather than 750 like its been reported for the last few years???

Actually from what i heard his actual sales were around 350 million units. Second only to beatles who, at the time, had around 400 million sales. If all of what's said is true then yeah, MJ should be head to head with the beatles.

I'm not sure about any of the data though so don't take my word for it.

Thriller is the 3rd biggest selling album of the year so far with 3.3 million copies sold according to mediatraffic. I think it will overtake U2 who are currently in 2nd place within the next 3 or 4 weeks since their album No Line On The Horizon is only 100,000 copies ahead. Plus the Thriller album will increase in sales due to Halloween and the This Is It movie.

It's said Thriller is around 3.7 million this year....Smooth_Criminal05 can you confirm these numbers??

Thriller has sold 3,050,000 albums since Jackson's death globally. The album sold 260,000 copies between January and June 25th. So if you add those two figures together it equals 3,310,000 copies sold this year. I imagine by years end sales will be in the 3.6 to 3.7 million range.

Number Ones has sold 2,800,000 since Jackson's death (globally). The album also sold 110,000 copies from January to June 25th. Total 2009 sales for the album stand at 2,910,000. My estimate for the entire year on this album is around 3.2 to 3.3 million.

This Is It Soundtrack only has 9 weeks to chart in 2009 (Nov 5th to Dec 31st). Regardless of this, the CD should shift close to 3 million copies globally in that time which would make it one of the top 10 biggest selling albums of 2009. This would also mean Jackson will finish the year with 3 different albums all which sold over 3 million copies each...a huge accomplishment.

Jackson's total unit sales for 2009 (albums, singles, digital downloads, dvd sales, & ringtones) will exceed 50 million globally. 20 million of that will come from the US!

Back