"Michael", a biopic about Michael Jackson, is officially happening.

As a fan the estate has been hit and miss with the release of music from the vaults and new albums (Xscapre was great, Thriller 40 was awful).

However, from a business perspectiv, the estate have done really well with the big money projects (This Is It, Immortal, MJ musical etc.).

On that basis, the biopic should do well. And who knows, maybe the estate have wisely been patient with emptying out the vault to ride off the badk of the potenial success of the film. Time will tell.

I think that many non-fans have a lot of unanswered questions that might make them curious about the film.
that's true @HotStreet ...i'm just trying to figure out my answer for @Victorious as they make a stellar point.
I'll probably be annoyed by countless inconsistencies in the film, but I'm very excited to see how Jaafar manages it all.
those long time supporters who go shall cry alot of tears and be reminded of the happier times. i think.

I think that many non-fans have a lot of unanswered questions that might make them curious about the film.
I'll probably be annoyed by countless inconsistencies in the film, but I'm very excited to see how Jaafar manages it all.

Yes I hope so! Fans will go see it even if they hate it, I wonder if it attracts the general audience

Last edited:
Not according to @IhateTheMedia it hasn't.

The hype for this movie has exceeded every other film in existence. It's bigger than Marvel films, Titanic and Avatar combined apparently.
Realistically, this movie might be a very big breath of fresh air compared to those. A non CGI sorta drama always hits nice.

Not according to @IhateTheMedia it hasn't.

The hype for this movie has exceeded every other film in existence. It's bigger than Marvel films, Titanic and Avatar combined apparently.
Gone with the Wind had a pre-release interest of 78% when it came out, Michael's interest is below Avatar 2 which had around 58% when it was surveyed before it came out. Mourning Consultant's survey put the biopic at 55% which is the same as Black Panther. It will easily make over 1 Billion like Lionsgate forecasted.

From February 2023

Gone with the Wind had a pre-release interest of 78% when it came out, Michael's interest is below Avatar 2 which had around 58% when it was surveyed before it came out. Mourning Consultant's survey put the biopic at 55% which is the same as Black Panther. It will easily make over 1 Billion like Lionsgate forecasted.
It would be interesting to see an update on this Morning Consult survey.

Never in this life will this movie make 1 billion. It will be successful, but not like a highly anticipated superhero movie.
I guess it will not make as much money as Bohemian Rhapsody

Anyone else here concerned about lionsgate? Not as a producer necessarily but as a distributing studio. Lately they've been in the news quite frequently for the wrong reasons (box office misfires if not outright bombs, shady trailer critic quotes etc etc).

Never in this life will this movie make 1 billion. It will be successful, but not like a highly anticipated superhero movie.
I guess it will not make as much money as Bohemian Rhapsody
Very few movies have made a billion after Covid. It was happening all the time the years right before, mainly Disney related movies though. Also China doesn't accept as many Hollywood made movies now, and that was a big part of the box office for the billion dollar movies.

Anyone else here concerned about lionsgate? Not as a producer necessarily but as a distributing studio. Lately they've been in the news quite frequently for the wrong reasons (box office misfires if not outright bombs, shady trailer critic quotes etc etc).
No.

… shady trailer critic quotes …
Probably that's a reference to Coppola's upcoming, self-funded Megalopolis, which had mixed critic reactions, some hated, some loved it and felt it's ahead of its time. So I thought the trailer using critic quotes about his past movies was a fun and bold move when I saw it. Megalopolis will get people talking about very important topics for sure (unless the film is overshadowed by the cultural divisions it was made to address).

I feel studios that take big risks (meaning they have great confidence in creators) will become really popular with audiences.

Last edited:
Probably that's a reference to Coppola's upcoming, self-funded Megalopolis, which had mixed critic reactions, some hated, some loved it and felt it's ahead of its time. So I thought the trailer using critic quotes about his past movies was a fun and bold move when I saw it. Megalopolis will get people talking about very important topics for sure (unless the film is overshadowed by the cultural divisions it was made to address).

I feel studios that take big risks (meaning they have great confidence in creators) will become really popular with audiences.
The critic quotes were not real, AI generated and the person that did it has been fired iirc.

The critic quotes were not real, AI generated and the persoon that did it has been fired iirc.
Yes, they apparently fired the consultant who didn't fact check the quotes. The actual idea was creative, though its appreciation among viewers was probably divided and somewhat confusing to some.

Marketing movies which have no particular target audience but society as a whole can be a great challenge and quite portentous to the subject of this thread.

Back