"Michael", a biopic about Michael Jackson, is officially happening.

MJJC isn't what it used to be. Lately, some immature individuals have been causing unnecessary arguments and derailing conversations with off-topic discussions that have nothing to do with the thread.
facepalm-really.gif
Agree, but why does it need to be said in size 200 font? lol

The "last" Beatles song became a top 10 Hit literally just a year ago. Xscape went number 1 in multiple countries. MJ has gotten Two top 10 hits in the 2010s. There is interest and there is a chance for success. Especially if they make a duets album.
Any band who get that much media attention would have scored a hit that way. Truth is I already forgot that song like most other people probably. Getting a top 10 hit is sometimes overrated. In this case of the Beatles it certainly was. And in case of MJ getting one with Drake it is too.

Why is it so important to stay on topic? We will automatically go "on topic" once there are new announcements or when the trailer is released. In the meantime we have got to entertain ourselves.
Do that in dm's or in the chat. Or maybe... visit other forums?

Any band who get that much media attention would have scored a hit that way. Truth is I already forgot that song like most other people probably. Getting a top 10 hit is sometimes overrated. In this case of the Beatles it certainly was. And in case of MJ getting one with Drake it is too.
It could be argued that songs like Chicago or Heaven Can Wait getting some sort of afterlife through Tiktok are more real "hits" than getting a fluke No. 1 for one week and being forgotten immeditely like Now and Then was.

Do that in dm's or in the chat. Or maybe... visit other forums?
Doesn't this site have a ignore/block button? Problem solved. 😄 Nobody is forcing you to read anybody's posts, you volunteer to read them. I don't block, but when i see certain names I don't even bother to read what they post. Also I'm pretty sure that anywhere on the internet there are trolls or cynics. Places like Lipstick Alley & Prince.org is full of them. Go read the comments on almost any Youtube video or Twitter/X & Instagram. A lot of news/magazine sites block comments until they are approved or remove them.

That's true but I felt that way about the Beatles in general. That song got me to listen to them though and now I'm a real fan. So that sort of publicity is still enough, still a valid success for MJ or any other artist, hardcore elitist not withstanding.

So is Heaven Can Wait, it is top 20 every week.

So Chicago is almost on 300 million streams, approximately half of Thriller’s total. Yet we see Thriller scoring about the same amount of streams as Chicago daily. It makes me wonder how it is possible it is catching up on Thriller. It can only be so that Chicago was at one point on 1 million daily streams I guess

Cool. :D

So Chicago is almost on 300 million streams, approximately half of Thriller’s total. Yet we see Thriller scoring about the same amount of streams as Chicago daily. It makes me wonder how it is possible it is catching up on Thriller. It can only be so that Chicago was at one point on 1 million daily streams I guess
I don't pretend to understand any of it, I just post stuff as FYI. 🤣

Just posted some monthly figures on the chart watch thread. Chicago is No.5 in that one, as well.

It could be argued that songs like Chicago or Heaven Can Wait getting some sort of afterlife through Tiktok are more real "hits" than getting a fluke No. 1 for one week and being forgotten immeditely like Now and Then was.
Not sure, interesting question or dilemma or whatever.

I’d argue that songs getting radio play during rush hour in the morning and evening are much more of a hit than Chicago that has never been played on the radio nor has it ever entered an official chart.

Crazy how the movie is only a little over 7 months away now, it feels like it was just yesterday when we got that video of Jaafar rehearsing Man In The Mirror. It's like in another blink of an eye the movie will already be here lol

I seriously can't wait for this biopic, 2025 is packed with a lot of releases that I'm looking forward to but Michael is still the thing that hypes me up the most.

I think the influence of the biopic on Elvis streams and Queen's streams are worlds apart. While Elvis certainly had a bit of an uptick, I think it has long since evaporated. I really think every Christmas has more influence on his streams than the biopic did.
But with Queen the effects were sensational and long-lasting. Queen currently has a big lead over MJ. If after the biopic MJ is in front of Queen and can keep it that way, it will be a great success.

Last edited:
I think the influence of the biopic on Evli's streams and Queen's streams are worlds apart. While Elvis certainly had a bit of an uptick, I think it has long since evaporated. Really think every Christmas has more influence on its streams than the biopic did.
But with Queen the effects were sensational and long-lasting. Queen currently has a big lead over MJ. If after the biopic MJ is in front of Queen and can keep it that way, it will be a great success.
ooh, now that is interesting! (y)

The Aviator, written by John Logan and directed by Scorsese, is my favourite biopic ever.

Logan is a brilliant, nuanced writer that has an ability to ground larger than life figures. The Aviator is about one of Michael's favourite subjects- Howard Hughes. Michael used to spend hours picking Katherine Hepburn's brain about what he was like when he was only around 20. So to now have him pen MJ's life story is so poetic.

I've always known that Hughes was an eccentric recluse, but the film touched on his childhood traumas, his abusive mother, his suspected OCD, his obsessive perfectionism, his abrasiveness, the breakdown in his psyche etc. in compassionate ways. You find yourself rooting for him. The pacing was excellent, the dialogue compelling.

This film is definitely not going to be another Bohemian Rhapsody. Didn't love that one, script was a superficial mess.

The whole production team here is wildly talented and they seem passionate about their subject.

[...] Logan is a brilliant, nuanced writer that has an ability to ground larger than life figures. The Aviator is about one of Michael's favourite subjects- Howard Hughes. Michael used to spend hours picking Katherine Hepburn's brain about what he was like when he was only around 20. So to now have him pen MJ's life story is so poetic. [...]
I love John Logan interviews. He's so interesting and articulate. I hope he does some interviews once the film is out, I hope it isn't just the actors.

Re-posting this little clip (from 2020):

Chicago was mega viral on TikTok throughout 2023. The app skews young, and hearing MJ's voice over trap production had its novelty.

Chicago was mega viral on TikTok throughout 2023. The app skews young, and hearing MJ's voice over trap production had its novelty.
I think MJs voice is surprisingly adept with the modern sounds. It's certainly no fault of his if he doesn't. He embraced hip hop sensibilities.

Back