"Michael", a biopic about Michael Jackson, is officially happening.

I only follow or read traditional old school media like a lot of people still do (at least I think lol) but I do agree a little big that I am disconnected from some reality. I simply don’t care for social media or tiktok or whatever latest hype.

I still don’t know how to measure and give “going viral” weight, I’m sorry.
Traditional press media won’t show any hype for it. That’s not really how the modern world works for this sort of thing.

There’s an online buzz for this that will only continue to get stronger.

I only follow or read traditional old school media like a lot of people still do (at least I think lol)
Yep! Me also!

The msm will be a bit more of a slow burn, imo. The other day I posted this from an interview Colman Domingo did with The Times:
Adding in the previous paragraph:

Colman Domingo interview, The Times, 15 August 2024
by Kevin Maher

"Joe fiercely loved his children", Domingo says. "He may not have been a warm person, but he loved them. And he had a different way of showing it, like, 'I'm going to make you the best that you are, because that's my way of loving you.' He was a very complicated man."

And on whether the film, which has been approved by the family, will address the accusations ... he says, "We go through three decades of Michael's life and we get to the early Noughts. That's all I can say." He adds that the Jackson family are "on board with us making the most complex film possible."
It was a two page spread bc Domingo has a new film out (Sing Sing) so he's doing PR for that. The bit about the Michael biopic was a short piece right at the end. The bit I couldn't be bothered to include was this:

"[Domingo] is being courted by Marvel ... Next up though comes, comes another Oscar-baiting behemoth of a part - Joe Jackson,the controlling and controversial patriarch of the Jackson family, in Michael."

I think it's just too soon to see much hype in the msm. As the release date gets closer and more of the actors start doing more interviews, it'll start to build up. Even when the actors have other projects to promote they are going to be asked about this one.

Yep! Me also!

The msm will be a bit more of a slow burn, imo. The other day I posted this from an interview Colman Domingo did with The Times:

It was a two page spread bc Domingo has a new film out (Sing Sing) so he's doing PR for that. The bit about the Michael biopic was a short piece right at the end. The bit I couldn't be bothered to include was this:

"[Domingo] is being courted by Marvel ... Next up though comes, comes another Oscar-baiting behemoth of a part - Joe Jackson,the controlling and controversial patriarch of the Jackson family, in Michael."

I think it's just too soon to see much hype in the msm. As the release date gets closer and more of the actors start doing more interviews, it'll start to build up. Even when the actors have other projects to promote they are going to be asked about this one.
Seeing as rthe mainstream media literally hates Michael's fucking guts and wishes that he was erased from history, i'm not sure why anyone expects them to hype this movie up. They want it to fail, unless it demonizes Michael.

Seeing as rthe mainstream media literally hates Michael's fucking guts and wishes that he was erased from history, i'm not sure why anyone expects them to hype this movie up. They want it to fail, unless it demonizes Michael.
It’s been ages, there are enough new, young media people who can look at it with an open mind

It’s been ages, there are enough new, young media people who can look at it with an open mind
LOL, i wish this was true. They hate Michael more than the orange man. It's apart of the system, they have to hate Michael. See all of those crooked journos shilling that faux LN documentary and review bombing the musical? Or cries from the media to remove him from the Musical Hall of Fame, not including his images in the Wembley anniversary etc. They go out of their way to avoid mentioning him or they'll intentionally rate him low out of spite since they are angry he's not cancelled. Every outlet in America hates Michael Jackson, no figure is hated more by the media than him.

I'm not expecting anything. But that comment from The Times counts as a positive, imo. For sure there will be a lot of negative msm comment about the biopic. Perhaps there won't be any msm hype. I don't really care. But, for me, The Times write-up was a pleasant surprise. I hope to see more of it. If I'm to be disappointed, so be it.

I'm not expecting anything. But that comment from The Times counts as a positive, imo. For sure there will be a lot of negative msm comment about the biopic. Perhaps there won't be any msm hype. I don't really care. But, for me, The Times write-up was a pleasant surprise. I hope to see more of it. If I'm to be disappointed, so be it.
It's the people vs Media, and the public will win. Michael Jackson is by far the most popular figure in the world. The estate has broken industry records with every posthumous release across multiple entertainment mediums

It's the people vs Media, and the public will win. Michael Jackson is by far the most popular figure in the world. The estate has broken industry records with every posthumous release across multiple entertainment mediums
Business wise everything is going well but if I wasn’t a fan I would not have any knowledge about any of the projects surrounding Michael. If you are above 40 like me and have no clue about modern media there simply is no buzz surrounding MJ anymore. The last buzz that caught my attention through mass media was sadly LN and also Thriller40 but that died out really quickly.

Lionsgate says otherwise, also so do most people

Michael has higher interest than Avengers Endgame around Millennials and Zoomers.
I just hope you don’t put too much importance on social media only because you could be disappointed when you realize there are still dozens of millions of old school people who find their information through other means. I can only hope I will also see ads for the film on billboards, tv ads, newspapers and other more tangible ways for me.

When the movie gets ready to come out, the actors (maybe the director too) are going to have to go to mainstream outlets to promote it. Like on TV talk shows: Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Steven Colbert, The View, Entertainment Tonight, Kelly Clarkson, GMA, Kelly & Mark, Graham Norton, etc. and also entertainment magazines like Rolling Stone or Variety. Not everybody follows stuff online.

I just hope you don’t put too much importance on social media only because you could be disappointed when you realize there are still dozens of millions of old school people who find their information through other means. I can only hope I will also see ads for the film on billboards, tv ads, newspapers and other more tangible ways for me.
As of April 2024, there were 5.44 billion internet users worldwide, which amounted to 67.1 percent of the global population. Of this total, 5.07 billion, or 62.6 percent of the world's population, were social media users.

Don't want to be too critical but can you go a little easy please rather than fucking this and fucking that, hate etc all the time?

You always sound so angry, relax 😌

Sorry dude, but I can't help but notice that you exaggerate absolutely everything.

Michael is the most popular figure in the world, a few days ago it was that he was the most loved person in the world.

Can you not just accept that he was human? He doesn't have to the best, or have the most followers , it's not a competition.

Your obsession about him being number 1 at everything will eventually bite you on the backside.

First off I'd argue Cirque De Soleil and The Broadway Musical both get tons of good publicity for MJ. They really have the longest legs.

There's no MJ hype because there hasn't been any "new" music since 2014, 2018 if you count the Drake song. Awful in hindsight but it did notch MJ another top 10 Hit. Anyway, there's nothing there. No summer hit to hear, the school year just started, so that's over. Thriller 40 was as clinical a project as can be, in a streaming deal that's basically locked behind a treasure map.

The We Are The World was positively received also.

Anyway, on a side point maybe, in this movie thread, let's talk about the movie, I guess:

The movie has to have good acting. We like good acting in movies.

I just saw Twisters yesterday. I had absolutely no interest in it, I was chaperoning..but I got. Invested. Because stories have that affect. Because being in the cinema is made for immersion. And my investment was kept because the acting was good and the narrative progressed, I was invested. S/O to Glen Powell in particular, mans a master class.

And it's the same with Michael, get the audience hooked and we will notice. Good acting will sound great to those who want it. And word of mouth might just work just like it did for MJ in his entire career.

And I'll even be generous: long movies can work. But I had to pee a lot and I hate getting up so it's also annoying. But sure, the film can be a few hours long.

Anyway, on a side point maybe, in this movie thread, let's talk about the movie, I guess:

I just saw Twisters yesterday. I had absolutely no interest in it, I was chaperoning..but I got. Invested. Because stories have that affect. Because being in the cinema is made for immersion. And my investment was kept because the acting was good and the narrative progressed, I was invested. S/O to Glen Powell in particular, mans a master class.

And it's the same with Michael, get the audience hooked and we will notice. Good acting will sound great to those who want it. And word of mouth might just work just like it did for MJ in his entire career.

And I'll even be generous: long movies can work. But I had to pee a lot and I hate getting up so it's also annoying. But sure, the film can be a few hours long.
I just watched Oppengamer, and that's masterpiece! I hope Michael will have something in common with this movie (in a way of acting)

The performance sections of the movie I hope will be explosive and full of energy so you can really feel it.

Will be great to hear his music boom out of those cinema speakers.

It will be a struggle to stay seated during the concert reenactments.

[...] The movie has to have good acting. We like good acting in movies.
It all hinges on Jaafar. He has to deliver.

I'm getting more and more hyped with every Colman Domingo interview I read. Maybe Lionsgate could do me a personalised trailer showing CD doing his thing as Joe. :ROFLMAO:

I just saw Twisters yesterday. I had absolutely no interest in it, I was chaperoning..but I got. Invested. Because stories have that affect. Because being in the cinema is made for immersion.
Exactly! And Michael's life was practically operatic in scale, drama, tension and heightened emotions. It needs that big screen.

And my investment was kept because the acting was good and the narrative progressed,
I'm hoping for good things from John Logan.

Honestly, I don’t care much about this biopic. It will never meet my expectations so I just hope it preforms well and nothing negative comes from it.

All I care for is maybe after the movie we will eventually get new unreleased music. That’s it not planning on getting all wrapped up with the movie. It’s either good or it’s not.

Honestly, I don’t care much about this biopic. It will never meet my expectations so I just hope it preforms well and nothing negative comes from it.

All I care for is maybe after the movie we will eventually get new unreleased music. That’s it not planning on getting all wrapped up with the movie. It’s either good or it’s not.
I’m sure you will get pumped once the hype start. I can’t wait for MJ to hit the headlines one more time. It doesn’t need to be my favorite film either. I just want it to be the start of a new era of younger fans and older people to adjust their opinion about his artistry.

Look at Johnny Cash‘s biopic. He got a second (post humous) career and a fresh set of fans because of the film.

I'd rather not here unreleased music, unless it's really up to scratch, if it's not it will just seem like a desperate attempt at making money, I really can't get on board with that, Michael deserves to be remembered for the artist he was

I'd rather not here unreleased music, unless it's really up to scratch, if it's not it will just seem like a desperate attempt at making money, I really can't get on board with that, Michael deserves to be remembered for the artist he was
I guess you can look at things that way. If that’s the case then I guess it’s all over… you can only rehash everything that been released so many times. That would be truly disappointing if we never get another album release of unheard songs. That would mean the Estate doesn’t want any of my money anymore lol. Last MJ purchase for me was Escape and that’s probably the longest stretch of time ever that Mike didn’t get any of my money lol.

I guess you can look at things that way. If that’s the case then I guess it’s all over… you can only rehash everything that been released so many times. That would be truly disappointing if we never get another album release of unheard songs. That would mean the Estate doesn’t want any of my money anymore lol. Last MJ purchase for me was Escape and that’s probably the longest stretch of time ever that Mike didn’t get any of my money lol.
There's only so many songs left in the vault. Only so many to "contemporize". They can't just throw out new songs just because.

Anyway that really is unrelated to this film, unless we're talking soundtrack, which we're pretty sure is at least being considered. You can just hope the outtake you want the most might just end up includes.

Back