Barack Obama has been elected President of the US

Dude, I hope ya'll don't think that Obama is the Messiah or something LOL

I was afraid of this. :p Just because Obama is in office doesn't mean the war is gonna end immediately. Doesn't mean America is gonna turn into a fantasy Disney animation with woodland creatures jumping around with flutes playing in the background (yes i got that from Colbert/Stewart LOL). I mean, Obama is only one man. He can only do so much in the circumstances passed on to him. Listen to Obama. Don't expect stuff to happen right when he sits his butt down in the oval office. "Change" might not happen in 3 years or 4 years. He's not a miracle worker. lol

I'm just afraid that when he gets in office and America doesn't start looking like heaven on earth by a certain amount of time, then people are gonna label him a bad president or something.

LOl, no one thinks Obama is the second coming. At least I hope not, I think most people are realistic that there's only so much he can do. It will be an uphill battle. However, he has already done a lot to help improve the U.S. reputation around the world just by being elected president, but I don't expect things to get better overnight or for him to even keep every promise he's made. He is an inspiring guy though and there is definitely something that's special about him, so if he gets people excited and makes them feel inspired I don't see anything wrong. I just hope they're realstic and not expecting him to solve every problem overnight, there's a lot of mess that was left by the last administration for him to clean up and it's not gonna be easy at all. One thing I know for sure though is that Obama couldn't possibly be any worse than Bush lol, so that's a good thing.

really I don't understand this thread. You should be in Germany this time and there you would get the chance to express the great joy about this choice of the American people. But no one here is going to believe he will change the world in one day (*hey hey listen to Michael's song, lyrics below)
but for heaven's sake give him at least the OPPORTUNITY! Here in Germany the most people who have followed Obama's way, me too, I have watched several documentations about him, criticals too, are convinced that he is a very rational thinking and determined man, IF he will really get the chance (with the support of all the people who have trust in him in USA and all over the world) he will achieve and drive forth many things. As God wills!
*)

Maybe you and I can't do great things
We may not change the world in one day
But we still can change some things today
In our small way

Empty words are not enough
Where there's hurt, we'll be a crutch
When there's thirst, we'll
fill each other's cup
Because we care, we love enough to share

In our small way

In despair we'll be the hope
And the prayer that frees the soul
We'll be there to share each
lonely road Because we love,
I know we care enough

In our small way

Just a little time is all it takes
What a difference just a smile
can make you'll see
Love is all we need

In our small way

Well, most peeps are happy that he's made history with this election as being the first black pres. and showing that nothing is impossible when t comes to race/skin color/all that. I was know that's the main reason why I was screamin' and actin a fool that night :lol:

But on a serious note, I don't believe he's Jesus or anything of unrealistic proportions. He's a politician, and only human, which is also why I KNOW people will be putting helluva pressure on him. He's now known as President - Elect Barrack Obama, rather than Senator Barrack Obama, and it's awesome, but at the same time nerve-racking. It's almost as if I can feel that pressure rubbing off on me. I know I believe in him, as most of you do, but has this ever gone through anyone's mind yet? 8 years of mess that people will expect Obama to clean up; geez.

I just read the latest online news updates for today in the U.S. and it is really bleak r/t unemployment, financial outlook, etc. Mr. Obama has a horrendous job facing him, what he is walking into will take years to correct. May he have the tenacity, guidance, faith, and wherewithall to tackle what stands before him.

If Bill Clinton could turn around 12 years of Republican BS from the Reagan and Bush Sr years, I have no doubt Barack Obama can turn around 8 years of Bush Jr BS......even though Bush Jr did far more damage than Reagan and Bush Sr ever did.

Well, you know, he has high expectations coming into this. But for anyone who thinks Obama is going to fix this mess in his first term is a damn fool.

I believe in him though. Something about him is just unique and he stands out from any other politician. Obama was merely unknown a few years ago... and look where he is now. Not only do I respect him, but I praise him for being able to do what he's done.

Plus, anyone who can bust moves the way he did on Ellen has my vote.

Barack Obama held his first conference today. He didn't really reveal much at all. No new cabinet positions were announced. He got in trouble for making a joke about Nancy Reagan. When asked if he had spoken to any of the past Presidents and he said "I've spoken to all of them" then realising that didn't sound right said "the living ones" and made a joke that he didn't try to contact dead Presidents in a seance like Nancy Reagan did. It was actually Hillary Clinton who allegedly tried to contact dead Presidents by performing a seance. So Obama called Nancy Reagan to apologise. He also made a crack about the first dog when asked if he had chosen one yet saying that "it wont be a mutt like me". lol

Dude, I hope ya'll don't think that Obama is the Messiah or something LOL

I was afraid of this. :p Just because Obama is in office doesn't mean the war is gonna end immediately. Doesn't mean America is gonna turn into a fantasy Disney animation with woodland creatures jumping around with flutes playing in the background (yes i got that from Colbert/Stewart LOL). I mean, Obama is only one man. He can only do so much in the circumstances passed on to him. Listen to Obama. Don't expect stuff to happen right when he sits his butt down in the oval office. "Change" might not happen in 3 years or 4 years. He's not a miracle worker. lol

I'm just afraid that when he gets in office and America doesn't start looking like heaven on earth by a certain amount of time, then people are gonna label him a bad president or something.

:
Originally Posted by wannabestartinsomthin21 He's better then McCain, obviously. Any democrat would be, I would think. But the way some act, it's as though he's going to change the world and he won't. It doesn't work like that. I'm sure he'll make a fine president, but people are already going on about him being the best president ever and he hasn't even gotten in to office yet. If he doesn't deliver on their expectations, you know how people are, a lot of his fanatics right now might turn on him, which would be total bs.

: Originally posted by gemini27
barack obama came at a time when people are in need of a saviour. remember, these are desperate, hard times. but i also think that it i unfair to think that he holds the solution to all problems that the u.s. is facing. that is definitely too much to ask from him! he is not God who descended from heaven and will deliver the u.s. from all the troubles it is up with.

i am sure he will do his best but certainly, the road is hard and long. yes, i hope people will have the tolerance bec. he cannot just turn the economy around in one snap. after all, he may have the best intentions but he is, after all, human

I agree with you gemini27. He did say in his acceptance speech that nothing should be expected to be turned around in a matter of days or months. He actually said that it may take a few years, but it would happen with effort and hard work. (paraphrasing)

I don't get the comments above from J5master and wannabestartinsomthin21. I read a few of the posts in the threads and I only saw people that were excited about the event of history being made and the promise of something eventually getting back to what used to be the better part of living in America.

I think the remarks are left of center and downgrading. We whom voted, have a perfect right to feel elated and optimistic about the future. No one has ever changed a bad situation in split time. Why would anyone even think that it could happen? Well, maybe back in the Western days when a bullet changed everything and the dead man lay in the dirt outside the saloon while the good guys go get a cold one to wash down the grit from their throats.

I'm glad I didn't get the chance to read the negative racist remarks posted by the sludge of society. I'm beginning to think that some people are perpetrating a fraud and that they are not actually human, but some type of alien void of nature. It never stops and those of us who wish for change in every way possible are the only ones who really understand what change means.

Great poem Dance. See? People can't help if they feel inspired by something like that, and it's all good to me.

It is not Barack's sole responsibility to turn this mess around. Every able American citizen will have to do their part. Let's just be thankful that he has a good head on his shoulders and that he's not acting like there isn't a rough road ahead.

It's time to roll up our sleeves, peeps. We don't have time to bicker. Things are falling like dominoes and Barack is not the one that pushed the first one. He's replacing the president that wouldn't come clean with the American people and tell us the dominoes had started falling. The current president kept saying the economy was fine, when in fact, it wasn't. Now we have lost time. Everyone has to pick up the pace because of that.

When Barack gets into office and starts the engine, be ready to help him steer this thing into a new direction. If we do not help him, we will lose more time and the dominoes will continue to fall.

Right now, it has to be all for one and one for all. If not, the dominoes are going to knock down everyone and will not care who is Republican or who is Democrat. The dominoes are not going to stop to ask.

It is not Barack's sole responsibility to turn this mess around. Every able American citizen will have to do their part. Let's just be thankful that he has a good head on his shoulders and that he's not acting like there isn't a rough road ahead.

It's time to roll up our sleeves, peeps. We don't have time to bicker. Things are falling like dominoes and Barack is not the one that pushed the first one. He's replacing the president that wouldn't come clean with the American people and tell us the dominoes had started falling. The current president kept saying the economy was fine, when in fact, it wasn't. Now we have lost time. Everyone has to pick up the pace because of that.

When Barack gets into office and starts the engine, be ready to help him steer this thing into a new direction. If we do not help him, we will lose more time and the dominoes will continue to fall.

Right now, it has to be all for one and one for all. If not, the dominoes are going to knock down everyone and will not care who is Republican or who is Democrat. The dominoes are not going to stop to ask.

Good post:) People shouldn't be so hard on each other over political affiliation - most people mean well no matter who they voted for. And not every problem started with Bush - some predate him to the Clinton era or before. Bush no doubt made a big mess of things, but he too is only one man.

Nice one :) :kickass: thats was very good!!!

Thank You! :D

I was soooo greatly affected by this year's elections...i cried seven times (because i was sooo happy ) and i'm not even American! lol!

I'm an Iraqi living in the UK. I just didn't know how to celebrate on that day, i so wished i was an American citizen just to vote for Obama!

I could suppose why Mr.Powell declined to continue to serve in Mr.Bush's administration and why now he is hesitating to even seriously consider serving in any administration at all.

The point is that he had to tell conscious criminal lies about many critically important to world peace things (like that existence of WMD's or terrorism support in Iraq) back in the days he worked for Bush.

I am not sure that inviting that compromised person to serve again would be a good start. Even himself probably understands that.

I think we all know that it's not going to turn around overnight. We listened to his acceptance speech, we get it. But he is a smart man, and he's going to surround himself with smart people. His appeal to our better natures, rather than our suspicions and hostilities, restores pride in our country's ideals. Those two things together better prepare us to deal with the challenges facing us than anything we've experienced in the past eight years.

:

No one has ever changed a bad situation in split time. Why would anyone even think that it could happen? Well, maybe back in the Western days when a bullet changed everything and the dead man lay in the dirt outside the saloon while the good guys go get a cold one to wash down the grit from their throats.
:hysterical: but really, u r so right!
:

I'm glad I didn't get the chance to read the negative racist remarks posted by the sludge of society. I'm beginning to think that some people are perpetrating a fraud and that they are not actually human, but some type of alien void of nature. It never stops and those of us who wish for change in every way possible are the only ones who really understand what change means.
i am surprised that there are still those who seem to live in the dark ages who still esposes racism! don't they know that in this present times, barriers have been broken? people from across the globe communicate and see each other in real time without even leaving their homes. i mean, everything has gone global and racism is a thing of the past!

According to witnesses and some of Ms.Palin public speeches, she, as well as Mr.Bush, does not know geography well:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/05/palin-didnt-know-africa-i_n_141653.html

We should let her know that Africa is not a country, but rather a continent.

Iraq and Iran are not "correct" and "wrong" ways to address one country, but rather two different countries. The same goes for Austria and Australia.

Iran (235) is not related to Mendeleev's table of chemical elements, Uran(ium) is.

And so on. Now Ms.Palin and Mr.Bush may have already learn those complicated things.

What fascinates is that so many people voted for those politicians.

According to witnesses and some of Ms.Palin public speeches, she, as well as Mr.Bush, does not know geography well:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/05/palin-didnt-know-africa-i_n_141653.html

We should let her know that Africa is not a country, but rather a continent.

Iraq and Iran are not "correct" and "wrong" ways to address one country, but rather two different countries. The same goes for Austria and Australia.

Iran (235) is not related to Mendeleev's table of chemical elements, Uran(ium) is.

And so on. Now Ms.Palin and Mr.Bush may have already learn those complicated things.

What fascinates is that so many people voted for those politicians.

I think people should leave her alone now that's she has lost. I don't like the way people are still attacking her and how people in the McCain camp are bringing out stories about her. I almost feel sorry for her. Which is surprising because I don't agree with her morally as a person. But the campaign is over so I see no reason to try to discredit her any further. She's irrelevant now.

It's been a long time coming but change has come

The man is not God but the man is good.
I trust Barack Obama to be straight with me as a United States citizen and I hope beyond hope that his administration will repair relations and set the stage for reconciliation within and without the American borders.

Not going to be easy by a long shot, no doubt, but if I got confidence in any person to do it, it is Barack Obama.

John Lucas

Robert George: Ms.Palin got colossal amount of votes -- those people really liked and respected her. It is not fair to completely forget about her, throwing away. The quality of a politic, and how the party treats him/her is also lesson of every elections. And why people vote is also matter of research.

Last edited:
PALIN RUINED IT. he chose an unstable woman who couldn't even manage her home and expected her tohave his back in managing the country.

oh yes, she understands foriegn policy b/c she can see russia from alaska and um...afriaca's a state or a country? oh wait, a continent?

she's too dim witted to have acces to the button or the red phone. no way no how.

There is very few people that I would feel honored to be in there presence.. Barack Obama is one of them..

I don't think the US foreign policy will change under Obama's administration

Hotdamn! Hillary could have a spot on the Dream Team! At least that's the rumor.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j7ZwF6-JMFCtAQDEJ80LwnbOt45wD94F0RHO0

Obama weighs Hillary Clinton as secretary of state

By NEDRA PICKLER – 1 hour ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — President-elect Barack Obama is considering Hillary Rodham Clinton to be his secretary of state, Democrats said Friday, exciting a burst of speculation that he would transform the former first lady and his fierce campaign foe into one of his top Cabinet officials and the nation's chief diplomatic voice.

Obama was silent and out of sight in Chicago, one day after quietly meeting with Clinton at his headquarters there. She addressed a transit conference in New York and said emphatically, "I'm not going to speculate or address anything about the president-elect's incoming administration, and I'm going to respect his process."

Obama is also reaching out to Republican Sen. John McCain, hoping to make an ally of the man he defeated for the presidency only last week. Obama meets with McCain on Monday.
Obama has not made his choice for secretary of state and is considering other candidates, said Democratic officials, speaking on a condition of anonymity about deliberations they weren't authorized to discuss.

Others believed to be under consideration include Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., Democratic Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico and retiring Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb.
Choosing Clinton, the former first lady, would be a striking decision for Obama. Even more so would be any administration role for McCain.

Advisers to both McCain and Obama say they don't expect an administration post for the defeated Republican presidential nominee, but Obama's aides say he would like to have the Arizona senator partner with him on legislation they both have advocated, such as climate change, government reform, immigration and a ban on torture.

All this fits with an idea that Obama often talked about on the campaign trail, as he praised the presidency of Abraham Lincoln as described by Doris Kearns Goodwin in her book "Team of Rivals."

"Lincoln basically pulled in all the people who had been running against him into his Cabinet because whatever personal feelings there were, the issue was: How can we get this country through this time of crisis?" Obama said at one point.

Lincoln appointed three of his rivals for the Republican nomination to his Cabinet. Obama turned to one rival for vice president, picking Democratic primary candidate Joe Biden even though Biden had questioned whether Obama had the experience to be president.
In his first two weeks as president-elect, Obama has struck a bipartisan tone. He paired a Republican and a Democrat to meet with foreign leaders this weekend on his behalf in Washington, for example.

It's far from clear how interested Clinton would be in being his secretary of state. She'd face a Senate confirmation hearing that would certainly probe her husband's financial dealings — something the Clintons refused to disclose in the presidential campaign.
But remaining in the Senate may not be Clinton's first choice, either, since she is a junior senator without prospects for a leadership position or committee chairmanship any time soon.

Democratic officials, speaking on a condition of anonymity about private negotiations, say Clinton asked Sen. Edward Kennedy to establish a subcommittee that she would lead that would allow her to shepherd health care reform through the Senate. But Kennedy, chairman of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor & Pensions, wants to lead the effort as a capstone to his career, and there also are other members with more seniority than Clinton whom he wouldn't want to bypass.

Being secretary of state could give Clinton a platform for another run at the presidency in eight years. Obama could also get assurances from her that she wouldn't challenge him in four years.

And, unlike the vice presidency that Obama never seriously considered her for, as secretary of state she would serve at his pleasure.

Clinton didn't give any clues to her thinking when she addressed a public transit industry conference Friday in Albany, N.Y., beginning with a joke about news accounts of her trip to Chicago.

"I'd like to start by saying I'm very happy there is so much press attention and interest in transit, especially questions about my own," she said. But she said she wouldn't discuss anything about Obama's incoming administration, and she ignored reporters asking her about it as she left.

Another Democrat emerged as a possible contender for an administration post Friday — Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle was contacted by Obama's transition team, according to a gubernatorial spokesman who did not disclose details. Doyle, a two-term governor a
nd former state attorney general, was an early backer of Obama.
An alliance between Obama in the White House and McCain in the Senate could help both sides — Obama by having a Republican ally on some issues, and McCain to help rebuild his own power. The two men spoke about getting together when McCain called Obama to concede on Election Night, advisers on both sides say.

Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, a McCain confidant, and Rep. Rahm Emanuel, the Illinois Democrat whom Obama has chosen to be his White House chief of staff, also plan to be at Monday's meeting in Chicago.

"It's well known that they share an important belief that Americans want and deserve a more effective and efficient government, and will discuss ways to work together to make that a reality," Obama spokesman Stephanie Cutter said in announcing the meeting.
Associated Press writers David Espo, Jim Kuhnhenn and Liz Sidoti in Washington, Richard Richtmyer in Albany, N.Y., and Scott Bauer in Madison, Wis., contributed to this report.

Last edited:
Back