A Place With No Name (Second Single from Xscape) Discussion

Re: L.A. Reid confirms A Place With No Name is the next single (released on August 11)

I'm really happy for the ITC footage! And it does seem the video will have a story line after all. Can't wait to see it!

Re: L.A. Reid confirms A Place With No Name is the next single (released on August 11)

It really feels like Michael is still with us in 2014, such clever up to date marketing i see..and its STILL s00o0o exciting . oh estate I thank you guys and the ones who are behind production. Thank you for not making Michael into an "old" artist or in any way "forgotten". with your skills, he did it again.. Still "with" us, On the scene , even in death. 0_o Got to wait these twooo days out :D omg itc footage:eek: Cannot wait ..........

Last edited:

And the award for the best single artwork for 2014 goes to...
Buwn14NIUAEKotI.jpg

This artwork is stupendous and really eye-catching, agree?!

The best version of the album cover imo because of the background. Perspective problems (length of head/top hair,jaw/lip wrong in combination with the "round thing") still there. But overall I like the cover.

In print, so far they are all way too dark and not bright/colorful enough imo

Last edited:

On some covers his lips are visible, on some not.

I love the sky against the backdrop of stars! Such a cool artwork :D

Last few years feel like I have been constantly waiting for something.
New album, new single, new book, new article, new show, new..............
and I'm still waiting mode, new short film to come out.

Worst case scenario is that there nothing to come out:no:

On separate issue, if somebody goes to Times Square, can you take a video of the Sony screen and have a few sworn statements from fellow watcher people that they actually saw this MJ video advertised on Times Square. Last time when Xscape was advertised on Times Square, there was some people here who made an argument that they weren't real, and possible photos were faked. I want proof that people really see it there :giggle:

On separate issue, if somebody goes to Times Square, can you take a video of the Sony screen and have a few sworn statements from fellow watcher people that they actually saw this MJ video advertised on Times Square. Last time when Xscape was advertised on Times Square, there was some people here who made an argument that they weren't real, and possible photos were faked. I want proof that people really see it there :giggle:

LOL. There's a live times square cam feed - http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/?cam=tstwo_hd

sony screen is the second one from the bottom. It might be seen online if they show the right screen at the right time.

Last edited:

are you seriously going to trash this (yet to be seen) video over semantics?

Seriously, re-read the posts.

And for those fans in New York City, "A Place With No Name" will be shown on the massive Sony screen in Times Square at the very same moment.

Finally something Xscape related will be on the Sony screen and masses will see it. I expect plenty of photos and clips from plenty of fans in the area.

Finally something Xscape related will be on the Sony screen and masses will see it. I expect plenty of photos and clips from plenty of fans in the area.

Weren't they advertising Xscape with a still image of the artwork in Times Square a few months ago?

Weren't they advertising Xscape with a still image of the artwork in Times Square a few months ago?

yes they were with a video, right after the album announcement. Mkgenie posted pictures and videos about it. but Tygger doesn't believe it's authentic because she didn't see multiple people posting about it. That's what Bubs was mentioning in her post.

I have provided enough additional photos to prove I was there at Times Square , I'm angry this is still an issue

Last edited:

OMfg the thought of behind the scenes footage of ITC has me running all over the place with excitement.

I agree with what Wendi said earlier:

It really feels like Michael is still with us in 2014, such clever up to date marketing i see..and its STILL s00o0o exciting .

That's where I'm at right now. Thats how I felt when I heard Xscape. It's kind of an uneasy sorta happiness. Its not the SAME, not by a long shot, but I think its the best we're going to get with MJ not being here. So in a way I kinda feel bad for being so excited still and feel like its a 'Michaelmania' without him around (because I know for a fact he wouldn't personally approve of ANY of this). But at the same time, I'm glad it is his music being focused on and that it is reaching new audiences in this way. Its like this handling of his legacy is really allowing him to 'live' forever. And for me, as a fan, it allows me to celebrate rather than mourn. You know?

As long as they keep the quality up, this can be a really great thing for many years to come.

In-The-Closet-the-dangerous-era-obsession-7978434-2560-1749.jpg

I'm angry this is still an issue, WTF

Don't be. It is (or was) an issue for one single person. It's their problem if they expect multiple people to stand outside at Times Square waiting for a commercial and/or a video and photograph it just to satisfy their demands. For example even for this upcoming Wednesday I would expect MJ fans be at home across a TV to watch the 2 hour special SYTYCD, not stand at Times Square and take a picture of a screen.

I have provided enough additional photos to prove I was there at Times Square , I'm angry this is still an issue, WTF

Please don't think that one person speaks for all of us. I was incredibly grateful for your posts and the pictures and didn't doubt you for one second. And I'm sure many, many others agree with me.

I have provided enough additional photos to prove I was there at Times Square , I'm angry this is still an issue, WTF

Don't worry:hug: You have received a questionable honour of being estate/sony plant, and you do their dirty job fooling fans believing in invisible advertising :shades:

Last edited:

because I know for a fact he wouldn't personally approve of ANY of this.

Hahaha, sorry but you are so funny. You know nothing especially "for a fact"!

Sony is advertising its use of its screen on Wednesday to promote Xscape so there is no doubt what will be there. Masses will see it and plenty in the area will document it. That I am sure of.

Historic you have an answer. It is up to you to believe it or not. There is no other evidence unfortunately.

Hahaha, sorry but you are so funny. You know nothing especially "for a fact"!

Well MJ has said repeatedly that he doesn't like showing off unfinished work. And that he's a perfectionist. And that those songs remained in the vault for a reason. And I don't think he'd appreciate anything going out under his name that doesn't have his seal of approval. So based on these previous 'facts' - that's how I know for a fact that he wouldn't approve of any of this. lol

But I will admit that statement is an opinion - as he never said that out right because he is dead, and you're free to believe what you would like :) No biggie on my end!

J5master;4035527 said:
Well MJ has said repeatedly that he doesn't like showing off unfinished work. !

It´s another case when a artist is dead and MJ for sure know that he has a life after death where his unfinished work will not left in the wault.

Ok if you don't like that one, there's also the idea that he's a perfectionist and that said works were not finished. Either way, MJ is not here to speak for himself whether he would approve of the states those songs that HE worked on are now being released (by other people other than himself). If he didn't care whether they'd be released or not, there wouldn't be a vault period. MJ didn't know he was going to die at the time he did, he certainly didn't plan it - so you can't really say that he had planned something for those vaults or that he would have wanted them to come out eventually.

I mean, its like first/second drafts of a piece of writing or a piece of art. Any artist, ideally, wouldn't want people to see the unfinished version of something - even if its good. Its not part of the artist's vision.

So it is for these reasons that i am 99% sure MJ would not be happy about all of this.In that small little sentence in a post that we're currently nit picking on - I'm just going off of MJ's words and MJ's words only - the post was supposed be uplifting :p. But that said, its a mute point because people will buy what they want to buy, and it doesn't affect MJ personally because he is not here. As long as it has a positive impact on how he is remembered, I'll support it.

Last edited:
Some of the videos Samuel Bayer directed:

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Metallica - Until It Sleeps
Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams
My Chemical Romance - Welcome to the Black Parade
Justin Timberlake - What Goes Around…Comes Around
Blind Melon - No Rain
The Cranberries - Zombie
Rolling Stones - Anybody Seen My Baby?
Robbie Williams - Angels

So I don't think it will be just a tribute type of video.

They say the vido tells the songs story

The beautifully shot short film, directed by iconic award-winning director Samuel Bayer, whose credits include seminal videos from Nirvana and The Rolling Stones, has been created by following Michael’s overall vision for short films which tell the song’s story, in this case, of a man enticed into a magical “place” by a mysterious woman. The short film also includes outtakes and behind-the-scenes footage of Michael shot during the production for “In The Closet” short film, which have been kept in the vault since 1992.

respect77;4035545 said:
Some of the videos Samuel Bayer directed:

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Metallica - Until It Sleeps
Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams
My Chemical Romance - Welcome to the Black Parade
Justin Timberlake - What Goes Around…Comes Around
Blind Melon - No Rain
The Cranberries - Zombie
Rolling Stones - Anybody Seen My Baby?
Robbie Williams - Angels

So I don't think it will be just a tribute type of video.

Thanks! Impressive list! Based on these videos, I am hoping for something visually impressive and artistic in nature. Also worth noting that most of these songs were massive hits. Hopefully, his luck will rub off on this song as well

Annita;4035548 said:
They say the vido tells the songs story

The beautifully shot short film, directed by iconic award-winning director Samuel Bayer, whose credits include seminal videos from Nirvana and The Rolling Stones, has been created by following Michael’s overall vision for short films which tell the song’s story, in this case, of a man enticed into a magical “place” by a mysterious woman. The short film also includes outtakes and behind-the-scenes footage of Michael shot during the production for “In The Closet” short film, which have been kept in the vault since 1992.

So Basically, we are going to have 2 people we really are not bothered about seeing, dancing in front of unseen footage of Michael Jackson that we really do want to see. It seems like it might be one of those moments at the cinema when someone walks in your way during an important scene xD

Michael Jackson Music Video to Debut on Twitter, in Times Square

The late Michael Jackson is still thrilling the entertainment world.

His music video for "A Place With No Name," a reimagining of America's 1972 hit "A Horse With No Name", will premiere on Twitter in a tweet from the official @MichaelJackson account on Wednesday, Aug. 13, at 10 p.m. ET.

Simultaneously, the video's debut will take place in New York City's bustling Times Square, where the large Sony screen will display the video.

See also: 6-Second Vine Video Is the Funniest Parody of Iggy Azalea's 'Fancy'

A teaser for the music video will be shown on Fox's So You Think Can Dance on Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET, when the show's contestants will take on MJ songs for their routines. Travis Payne, a former backup dancer and choreographer for the King of Pop, will create the episode's opening group routine, set to "A Place With No Name."

http://mashable.com/2014/08/11/mich...er-All-Partial&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=rss

Honestly, I do not understand the cynicism expressed by some posters when we haven't even seen the video. Let's see it first before complaining about it

Well MJ has said repeatedly that he doesn't like showing off unfinished work. And that he's a perfectionist. And that those songs remained in the vault for a reason. And I don't think he'd appreciate anything going out under his name that doesn't have his seal of approval. So based on these previous 'facts' - that's how I know for a fact that he wouldn't approve of any of this. lol

But I will admit that statement is an opinion - as he never said that out right because he is dead, and you're free to believe what you would like :) No biggie on my end!

"MJ has said repeatedly that he doesn't like showing off unfinished work." repeatedly??? Where, when? Link, source, quote please! And that's why this time Estate and producers decided to create new songs inspired by MJ's vocals instead of trying to finish his work. READ THE BOOKLET. Also MJ himself released A LOT of unfinished material and demos while he was still alive: 2001 Special Editions, Thriller 25, The Ultimate Collection. Also unfinished work was released beacuse his fans requested it. If it's up to Epic and Estate they would just release contemporized/finished versions.

"And that those songs remained in the vault for a reason." - He NEVER EVER said anything like that. That would be like saying: my songs suck and I'm creating them for more than 10 years just for myself and not for the world and my fans. STUPID. He wanted to release that music. That's why he recorded it, that's why he worked on some songs for more than 10 years (APWNN), Scared of the Moon, Cheater. He recorded vocals for Slave 24 times!!! Hollywood Tonight...

"I don't think he'd appreciate anything going out under his name that doesn't have his seal of approval." - He is dead, he left a will in which he appointed people who he trusted. He could have wrote in his last will that he don't want his work be released after he dies. He DID NOT wrote such thing.

So you know nothing. It's just your opinion - opinion of 1 fan. Definitely not a fact.

Last edited:

Damn, I don't have a twitter account. :(

You could just make one. It takes a few seconds...

a video launched through twitter? how? a youtube video posted on twitter?

...and anyways, you don't NEED one. They will post an embedded video on their twitter feed and you watch there. At least, that's how they did it for another band I like.

I think it's stupid to expect some short film masterpiece when the master is gone. Bar the hologram, this has been a great project. I still believe they can pull this off.

I'm looking forward to it. It looks like they are going with the vision of the song which is what I was hoping. IMO this project has been superb including the hologram which imo was a marketing masterpiece.

Back