A Message from the Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley concert DVD Quality [Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some might be referring to how the Vision set was made. 4x3 videos were rendered inside of a 16x9 frame, meaning people who still have older 4x3 tvs have the 4x3 videos "window boxed" inside of a letterbox frame. Which made the frame appear to have black boarders on all four sides instead of filling the frame.

Seeing how this concert was shot 4x3, it should stay that way. They are already fighting the quality issue by using a VHS source, cropping that for 16x9 will not only effect framing it will also make the image look even worse.

I think some might be referring to how the Vision set was made. 4x3 videos were rendered inside of a 16x9 frame, meaning people who still have older 4x3 tvs have the 4x3 videos "window boxed" inside of a letterbox frame. Which made the frame appear to have black boarders on all four sides instead of filling the frame.

Seeing how this concert was shot 4x3, it should stay that way. They are already fighting the quality issue by using a VHS source, cropping that for 16x9 will not only effect framing it will also make the image look even worse.

Those with modern tvs still had black borders down the side on nearly all videos though, except for the widescreen ones.

Can't defend Vision. Like the Michael album, it was awful. Let's hope they don't crop it because we'd miss alot of his footwork. Watch Motown 25 cropped to 16:9, then you'll see what I mean.

So far the estate seems to be doing everything they can to make BAD 25 worthwhile, except one thing. The proper remastering and release of the music videos from the Bad era. That is a shame, film prints exsist of 90% of the videos, why not do a scan and put them on blu? How about a one night only theater event? Show Moonwalker, Bad, TWYMMF in their filmed glory!

It's interesting looking at the clip we have from Spike Lee's docu. The clips shown from the final TWYMMF video seem to be of the quality we are used to on the DVD releases etc. however those alternate takes he's added look crystal clear.

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-nHgkqc-tw

A comparison between the DVD quality Thriller we see in every release, and a clip of Thriller from the Moonwalker blu ray. There's a pretty distinct difference in quality there. That Moonwalker clip looks like it's directly from the original film negative, whereas the DVD clip... is probably remastered from the Making of Thriller VHS tape lol

Someone needs to do some reverse engineering of that Moonwalker film negative. Not only Thriller in fantastic quality, but the Bad Tour filmed at 1080p. Where is all this footage today?

Makes me want to buy a Blu Ray player! lol.

Last edited:
But still I am trying to get my hopes up for the coming release. Maybe they CAN do wonders with the source tape. Or maybe they were playing with us and they DID use the film reels or Umatic tape. I don't know.

God, wouldn't THAT be SO amazing!? Best surprise, ever!

I still find it hard to believe they have dozens of tapes of shows, yet this one is missing, AND they only have ONE source of multi tracks.

Let me in that storage facility. I'll find it :D I'll even watch and listen to every unmarked audio tapes.

I still find it hard to believe they have dozens of tapes of shows, yet this one is missing, AND they only have ONE source of multi tracks.

Let me in that storage facility. I'll find it :D I'll even watch and listen to every unmarked audio tapes.

Had the same discussion with several people lately. Let's create a search and rescue group, become P.Is and ransack the storage facilities :tease:

Those with modern tvs still had black borders down the side on nearly all videos though, except for the widescreen ones.

Why is this an issue? Modern tvs are 16x9, most of these videos were shot for older 4x3 tvs. They only way to properly show these videos on a modern tv is to center the 4x3 frame, so your going to get black bars on the sides. Us Video nuts have a saying, it's not about filling the screen, it's about the original aspect ratio. If you don't want the black bars, you can use the zoom feature on your tv or player remote.

Why is this an issue? Modern tvs are 16x9, most of these videos were shot for older 4x3 tvs. They only way to properly show these videos on a modern tv is to center the 4x3 frame, so your going to get black bars on the sides. Us Video nuts have a saying, it's not about filling the screen, it's about the original aspect ratio. If you don't want the black bars, you can use the zoom feature on your tv or player remote.

Would they do what I do on some of my youtube videos?

The blurred borders fill the black bits, I've seen it on TV but I'm not sure if they'd do that and actually release it?

I wouldn't like those blurred sides. They should leave the aspect ratio way it originally was.

They wouldn't do that. It's not a good look and distracting.

Didn't say it was an issue. Using the zoom feature will immediately cut off the top and bottom of the picture as they are already at the edge of the screen. The black borders are only on the sides on a modern tv.

In this regard: BEST POST EVER!

I respect different opinions, but the ones who disagree, simply don't get it!

People prefer this to having black bars? At 1:01, you can barely see him. And you miss the moonwalk. The friggin' moonwalk!!

Who knew the black bars was such an issue.
It's quite simple, like someone said already.
In todays 1080/720/16:9/etc world, 4:3 footage is centered on the screen.
There are still commercial on TV presented that way on HD channels, and even news stations will do this on certain videos they show.

If you have a regular old TV, its not an issue, but if you do have a newer wide screen one, it's simply going to be centered.

In this regard: BEST POST EVER!

I respect different opinions, but the ones who disagree, simply don't get it!

Clearly you don't respect different opinions. However the irony is that I wasn't disagreeing with anyone. I was just commenting on the fact that if the Bad Tour dvd is 4:3 then it will have borders on the side like most of the short films on Vision. I wasn't even complaining about black bars, I prefer it to be in the original aspect ratio. I was simply lamenting that in an ideal world we would have everything in widescreen. Quite why you felt the need to tell me "I don't get it" yet at the same time claim to respect others opinions is beyond me. Fact is: there were no different opinions. So quit being judgemental and acting superior.

Last edited:
Jackson_popcorn.gif

In this example they just fix bugs like jitter, coloring etc. They don't improve actual quality here.

I think it's wrong to make people feel their contribution to the topics is off with comments like that, even if it's not exactly what the poster claimed.

I think it's wrong to make people feel their contribution to the topics is off with comments like that, even if it's not exactly what the poster claimed.

My comment has nothing to with poster and his contribution. And I don't understand why you think this is ''off''. I'm discussing the video and it's content. I tell what I think about it. I express my opinion why this video isn't suitable to be example for Wembley DVD. It's ok that one has different point of view than other one. I wasn't nor rude nor insulting. Everyone can't be like this on everything :wub::bowling::jump::rollin::clapping::rofl::dancin::wild: . I'm just being realistic.

I don't expected Blu-Ray i only want a good DVD quality and i hope they restore this recording very well :).But i hope there will be have a better quality than Yokhama......

Sorry for my english......

My comment has nothing to with poster and his contribution. And I don't understand why you think this is ''off''. I'm discussing the video and it's content. I tell what I think about it. I express my opinion why this video isn't suitable to be example for Wembley DVD. It's ok that one has different point of view than other one. I wasn't nor rude nor insulting. Everyone can't be like this on everything :wub::bowling::jump::rollin::clapping::rofl::dancin::wild: . I'm just being realistic.

People want to remain positive. And yes it had to do something, the person gave the video as an example for the possible "restoration" of this one, but I never said it was "insulting" wtf. And I didn't say your opinion was off I said it made the suggestion of that user seem "off" when they were just trying to contribute. The fact that you want to remain realistic doesn't mean people won't continue to be positive or that they "can't". Most people expect the best out of it, and they are also saying what they think about it and the content. IMO some people take technical issues too serious. If the quality is bad in your opinion once it's released just don't buy it, period.

I see nothing bad in some criticism. Perhaps lets just move on with this, shall we.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back