A Message from the Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley concert DVD Quality [Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gah, no i didn't! I figured they wouldn't be able/want to tell me.
I'll ask now to see if they respond.

I didn't bother to purchase the Vision boxset because I have Dangerous/HIStory I & II...So I don't really know what you guys are talking about, as in the remastering for Vision was bad. In what way? Worried about the Bad DVD now :-/

The videos were obviously done by a different company than the HIStory/Dangerous DVDs. Some looked better than others, but the whole thing looked like Joe Blow transferred a VHS tape of his videos and made a DVD out of them.

Also, confused about the Princess Di comments...I thought Michael said he didn't perform it, because she was there? But he in fact, did? Confused.

It has already been established that he DID perform DD that night. It's only semi been established that he did TWYMMF.
MJ remembered wrong or was embellishing that story for PRIVATE HOME MOVIES :)

Excellent news indeed !
You did not ask anything about the footage quality, DVD content (extra material) ?

Asked about bonus stuff.

"You'll just have to wait and see...

;) "

That either means YES or NO/NOT ALLOWED TO SAY NO.

On Vision DVD set I think they just tried to put too much on each disc. Thus leading to quality issue.
Maybe the producer has been given the constraint to make the whole MJ video collection fit on three discs ? Not sure it is a matter of skills from JIMGABLE. Even some of us could have produced the boxset better given good quality masters and sufficient disk space.

No, that's not it. A dual-layer dvd can fit 4 hours of high quality video on a single sided disc.
Each disc didn't touch that, so it wasn't a matter of constraints on a disc. It was they just get the sources or transfers as well. (Not to mention the lack of surround tracks for the videos...)

I'm waiting for a Blu-Ray with legitimately remastered videos from the original film prints :D (plus the full version of Ghosts)

He did do TWYMMF and Dirty Diana. My mum was there on the 14th and the 16th of July, and she remembers the shows vividly.

Uh, surely you meant NOT like Yokohama (which was great quality).
I'm really worried this will look like crap. Regardless if that clip is before or after enhancing, it's not very good looking at all.

Uh, surely you meant NOT like Yokohama (which was great quality).
I'm really worried this will look like crap. Regardless if that clip is before or after enhancing, it's not very good looking at all.

Yeah, you're right. It's worse than Yokohama....Either way, that looks like total shite...

Based on what they said, they have other u-matic (high quality source) tapes of various other shows, but apparently only this shows multi tracks.

If that's the case, I'd have preferred the live album be made up of remastered/mixed Wembley, and the DVD be of another show with regular stereo mix accompanying the video.

But that's just my .02

It this what it'll look like? :bugeyed

That's like Yokohama :fear: :(

Apparently it's worse than Yokohama, you saw that this show will come by a VHS, but calm down, by the way the remastering will be done with extreme attention and dedication.

Have anyone seen this show of Led Zeppelin in 70s? The quality is amazing, I think everything it's possible nowadays oO

That longer snippet was from months ago - it was released roughly the same time as the Daybreak snippet. Ergo, it's before the restoration process.

Personally i think we should all email the estate and ask them to release a proper teaser showing the actual quality of the dvd.

Another example that I forgot to put in my previous post about remastering, see this very nice result made from an old VHS, and by the video description I think that was made by a normal person, not from a company specializes in it.

Another example that I forgot to put in my previous post about remastering, see this very nice result made from an old VHS, and by the video description I think that was made by a normal person, not from a company specializes in it.

We deserve an excellent release! There is always something wrong with the releases quality wise. Even when our idol was alive we got cheap releases with bad picture sound quality (The One, History Volume 1 and 2). Seems like all other artists in the world are releasing top notch quality footage.

Only we Michael Jackson fans are constantly let down by the record label, although the concept of the products are great!!!! That is always the problem with MJ releases, at first they always seem to good to be true.

But still I am trying to get my hopes up for the coming release. Maybe they CAN do wonders with the source tape. Or maybe they were playing with us and they DID use the film reels or Umatic tape. I don't know.

Just wanted to share.

Jackson_popcorn.gif

No, that's not it. A dual-layer dvd can fit 4 hours of high quality video on a single sided disc.
Each disc didn't touch that, so it wasn't a matter of constraints on a disc. It was they just get the sources or transfers as well. (Not to mention the lack of surround tracks for the videos...)

I'm waiting for a Blu-Ray with legitimately remastered videos from the original film prints :D (plus the full version of Ghosts)
I think most of MJ's videos weren't shot on film. So a Blu-ray probably won't ever be released except maybe for Ghosts.

I think most of MJ's videos weren't shot on film. So a Blu-ray probably won't ever be released except maybe for Ghosts.

Not true. MJ did record every video on film, that's why he called them 'short films'. The directors he used were mostly famous film directors. I don't see any reasons for the directors to shoot differently. Michael wanted that film look. ;)

Apparently it's worse than Yokohama, you saw that this show will come by a VHS, but calm down, by the way the remastering will be done with extreme attention and dedication.

Have anyone seen this show of Led Zeppelin in 70s? The quality is amazing, I think everything it's possible nowadays oO

Yeah, it's released on BR and DVD. Taken from film reels not crappy VHS tape. So this example is invalid.
BTW even Charlie Chaplin films from 30s and 40s have been released on blu-ray just because sourced of original film reels. Check the quality below. This Wembley DVD will never ever come close no matter what technology is used. It's sourced from crappy old VHS which is probably worse quality than Yokohama bootleg. Period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9gY2akv384

Last edited:

In this example they just fix bugs like jitter, coloring etc. They don't improve actual quality here. I don't think Wembley has such serious bugs they could fix. But if they could improve quality.. :/ I dunno really. Doubt it.

He did film his videos. I think prolly all of them.

This was discussed heavily in the Vision thread prior to release (although I can't seem to find it now). About 95% of MJ's videos were indeed shot on film. The issue is that anything post Bad era was edited on video (which was industry standard at the time). So the original film elements would have to be found/scanned and reconstructed. The other issue is some of MJ's videos became every effects heavy and most of those effects were composited in/and for 480i resolution, most if not all those effects would be have to recomposited or even recreated depending on the original source elements. So the current video master is the best quality there is until some serious/costly work is down.

Thriller was shot/edited on film, part of the reason for that is that it was shown in festivals and on some movie screens. A film print was the only proper way to do that at the time. Billie Jean was shot on film, but was edited on video. Which is obvious when you look at it, really old school video effects. Billie Jean is one of the early videos that would need to be recreated.

Check out the work they are doing with Star Trek the next generation, this is pretty much exactly what they would have to do with MJ and others videos from that late 80's onword. The show was shot on film but edited on video, in order to get better quality and in HD they have redo the post production process.

It doesn't look great, but these clips are low quality. The clips from the TV weren't as bad as what's online. It's still not Yokohama, or Rome quality but it's better. You can see his face. You can see him smiling. This was before the restoration process, so who knows what we'll get. Of course it won't be crystal clear HD, but it'll be great. Finally see Michael back where he belongs. All over shops, in the news. The whole Bad 25 project is what fans have been screaming for for years on end. Unreleased demos, pictures, and a live CD. Not everything goes the way we want it to go, but atleast they didn't go, 'Oh it's a VHS, lets not put a concert in the set.' Billie Jean from the Bad Tour second leg? Yes please! :wild:

This was discussed heavily in the Vision thread prior to release (although I can't seem to find it now). About 95% of MJ's videos were indeed shot on film. The issue is that anything post Bad era was edited on video (which was industry standard at the time). So the original film elements would have to be found/scanned and reconstructed. The other issue is some of MJ's videos became every effects heavy and most of those effects were composited in/and for 480i resolution, most if not all those effects would be have to recomposited or even recreated depending on the original source elements. So the current video master is the best quality there is until some serious/costly work is down.

Thriller was shot/edited on film, part of the reason for that is that it was shown in festivals and on some movie screens. A film print was the only proper way to do that at the time. Billie Jean was shot on film, but was edited on video. Which is obvious when you look at it, really old school video effects. Billie Jean is one of the early videos that would need to be recreated.

Check out the work they are doing with Star Trek the next generation, this is pretty much exactly what they would have to do with MJ and others videos from that late 80's onword. The show was shot on film but edited on video, in order to get better quality and in HD they have redo the post production process.

thanks for this info!

Not true. MJ did record every video on film, that's why he called them 'short films'. The directors he used were mostly famous film directors. I don't see any reasons for the directors to shoot differently. Michael wanted that film look. ;)
Are you sure about that? Except for certain videos that were planned to be shown in a cinema like Thriller, there was no reason to shoot on film. Shooting on film is very expensive and since music videos were edited on video, I don't think they were shot on film.

Up until recently, Video could not shoot in the quality of film, so shooting something that needed to look quality had to be shot on film.
You can tell the difference when something is shot on film and on video in this era. For instance "Black or White" was shot on film, compare that to "will you be there" which was taken from a video taped performance. The industry standard starting in the mid 80's was to shoot on film for major artists. Obviously MJ was a major artist :eek:)

The reason why the videos look bad is they are using the same video masters from 15-30 years ago. They can only look as good as the video masters.

Yes, most of his stuff was on film.
Stuff like the videos from OFF THE WALL and some stuff later was tape.
Even with that said, they can still put SD content on a blu-ray, and just remaster the actual film stuff.
Anyway, they didn't do that for Visions.

We deserve an excellent release! There is always something wrong with the releases quality wise. Even when our idol was alive we got cheap releases with bad picture sound quality (The One, History Volume 1 and 2). Seems like all other artists in the world are releasing top notch quality footage.

The HISTORY and DANGEROUS dvds were excellent video and audio quality...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back