A Message from the Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley concert DVD Quality [Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will pre-order the 3CD and 1DVD editon from some online shop in my country so I can get it on release date. Can't wait till September!

The 3 CD + 1 DVD set I will buy for sure, maybe even 2 of them. The case, I will consider only if the extras are worth it. For one, it's not available to my country, and buying from a place like ebay would mean having to pay way more than the retail price of USD 199.

I will buy both versions. :)

Already preordered a lot :lol:

I can't afford this release. :)

I already posted this in the other thread as well the one that has to with the release of the single but thought you all might want to read it here too...

[h=6]From the Estate: We've just learned that Michael Jackson's new single, "I Just Can't Stop Loving You"/"Don't Be Messin' 'Round", available exclusively at WalMart, is currently the top selling music title on Wal-mart.com and has a real shot at being #1 on the Billboard Single Sales Chart this week!! Sales will be counted 'til this coming Monday at midnight (local time in each market), so please urge everyone you know to grab a single at their local WalMart store or on the website, and let's get Michael's first single from BAD25 a #1 debut!! #BAD25[/h]

I already posted this in the other thread as well the one that has to with the release of the single but thought you all might want to read it here too...

From the Estate: We've just learned that Michael Jackson's new single, "I Just Can't Stop Loving You"/"Don't Be Messin' 'Round", available exclusively at WalMart, is currently the top selling music title on Wal-mart.com and has a real shot at being #1 on the Billboard Single Sales Chart this week!! Sales will be counted 'til this coming Monday at midnight (local time in each market), so please urge everyone you know to grab a single at their local WalMart store or on the website, and let's get Michael's first single from BAD25 a #1 debut!! #BAD25

We could have beat Kety Perry or who-ever with this Bad25 . . .

Here is a More HQ snippet of the wembley VHS :

That clip truly looks like VHS footage, but is still cropped, which is why we get a more blurry footage (the cropped image is enlarged again). It gives me more confidence that the restoration will be quite good, since the original tape has the full recording image.

Plus: the end result should be true 4:3...stretching the wrong way makes VHS footage incredibly ugly.. :)

That clip truly looks like VHS footage, but is still cropped, which is why we get a more blurry footage (the cropped image is enlarged again). It gives me more confidence that the restoration will be quite good, since the original tape has the full recording image.

Plus: the end result should be true 4:3...stretching the wrong way makes VHS footage incredibly ugly.. :)

Bad few secs snippet in teaser is 4:3. It still looks very bad in 4:3 also.

I hope they will release a Teaser/Trailer for the Wembley concert soon. - In the final quality.

I hope they will release a Teaser/Trailer for the Wembley concert soon. - In the final quality.

I want a new longer trailer too but we should let them restore the quality with with care slowly. I want the best quality possible.

yeah, I think we all want the best possible quality!

Just hope it will be better than the preview clip.

I'm sure the final quality will be better then what we have seen.

"We also could have chosen to release the Japanese concert from the first leg of the tour as there is a master of that show; but that concert was essentially a reincarnation of the Victory Tour with only two songs – “Bad” and “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” – added at the end. It isn’t what we believe the fans would want."

truestory.jpg

I'm sure the final quality will be better then what we have seen.

Why? No offence but I don't understand why people think the estate would release footage that hasn't already been enhanced. It's in their interest to show the best quality footage they have when publicising a new dvd release so I'm sure that snippet of bad is AFTER it has been improved. In any case, if that is un enhanced footage then there's not much improvement can be made. They can't add more detail to the picture.

Gosh, can we please stop complaining and just wait.. This is what we've all been waiting for. They're doing their very best if you don't like the results don't buy it.

Why? No offence but I don't understand why people think the estate would release footage that hasn't already been enhanced. It's in their interest to show the best quality footage they have when publicising a new dvd release so I'm sure that snippet of bad is AFTER it has been improved. In any case, if that is un enhanced footage then there's not much improvement can be made. They can't add more detail to the picture.

I say it again that it is unreleaseable quality judging by that snippet. No way on earth they would release that. Also one official dude in twitter (Ivy reposted that here) and MJJUnderground said it is not the quality we will see and it will be better.
They're probably working on it and remastering even now. Also it's not exactly trailer of the product. It's like just a teaser. And I posted here compares how teasers can be differen't than final thing. Remember This Is It teasers. Why do they look different than movie? Cause it's a teaser not a promotional DVD trailer. I think the real DVD trailer just will be released this summer.

Compare from TII TV Spot to the final thing.

These letterboxed footages were never interlaced in movie -

vlcsnap-2012-05-31-16h00m09s199.png

vlcsnap-2012-05-31-16h00m19s85.png

Letterboxed footage in movie -

vlcsnap-2012-05-31-16h16m48s246.png

Another angle in TV Spot PLUS it is live snippet that has been dubbed over in movie.
Also color is graded differently in final movie. It is more violet in TV Spot. Check jacket. Slight difference but anyway.

vlcsnap-2012-05-31-16h01m31s40.png

Here's the same moment in movie -

vlcsnap-2012-05-31-16h05m01s69.png

And this is to compare color to TV spot snapshot from around the same angle -

vlcsnap-2012-05-31-16h06m45s102.png

Last edited:
Very nice of them that they actually commented to us, very good! I'm just preparing for a decent quality concert in terms of video, not expecting anything incredible, but certainly better than the Bootleg DVD's of the Bad tour.

Here's a message Paul Bercher answered via email a couple a years ago when I asked him about the possibility of them releasing some of nocturne video footage recorded during Janet Jackson's RN tour. His response:

Hi Kerry,
I was the video director for Janet's tour as you mentioned. Each show was recorded but I'm afraid they were just for archival purposes and most probably will never be released for public viewing. There was a performance which was recorded for commercial belief and I believe is available on Amazon but only on the VHS format.

The reason many of these performances are not commercially released is because most tours will only take about 4 cameras with them mainly for the purpose for screen shots which would not be suitable for a home release. These cameras would need to be augmented with many more and extra lighting would need to be brought in at considerable expense to make a top quality performance video. Also the audio quality of the live show would not be acceptable for this purpose.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best regards,
Paul Becher

Also, note that this is same footage that the estate is about to release on DVD. Again when they are recording for television there is a lot of extra things they have to do including more lighting, audio equipment, camera's ect. This did not happen with concert we are getting on DVD. I'm just saying. And i'm sure I will love it despite this!

Here's a message Paul Bercher answered via email a couple a years ago when I asked him about the possibility of them releasing some of nocturne video footage recorded during Janet Jackson's RN tour. His response:

Hi Kerry,
I was the video director for Janet's tour as you mentioned. Each show was recorded but I'm afraid they were just for archival purposes and most probably will never be released for public viewing. There was a performance which was recorded for commercial belief and I believe is available on Amazon but only on the VHS format.

The reason many of these performances are not commercially released is because most tours will only take about 4 cameras with them mainly for the purpose for screen shots which would not be suitable for a home release. These cameras would need to be augmented with many more and extra lighting would need to be brought in at considerable expense to make a top quality performance video. Also the audio quality of the live show would not be acceptable for this purpose.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best regards,
Paul Becher

Also, note that this is same footage that the estate is about to release on DVD. Again when they are recording for television there is a lot of extra things they have to do including more lighting, audio equipment, camera's ect. This did not happen with concert we are getting on DVD. I'm just saying. And i'm sure I will love it despite this!

They don't HAVE to do all those things. Fans want to see this type of thing period. They don't care if it's necessarily the best possible quality with all the bells and whistles. You take what you can get. It's nowhere near unreleasable. It's not like you can't enjoy it.

They don't HAVE to do all those things. Fans want to see this type of thing period. They don't care if it's necessarily the best possible quality with all the bells and whistles. You take what you can get. It's nowhere near unreleasable. It's not like you can't enjoy it.
wait!!... I agree. no need to get angry, I'm just passing on info. don't shoot the messenger. lol

I'm really curious to see what they can actually do to enhance the quality of the VHS sourced video. There's not much you can do with 250 lines of resolution...I can't see another recent example of high budget official release from a VHS source ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back