Will.I.Am said Mike Wanted Autotune!!

Uh no he can't. T-Pain is not a singer, he is an act. All of his songs are sung by autotune not actual vocals. Until I hear his vocals (which would probably be never) then I am sticking to the notion that T-Pain is not a singer.

T-Pain can actually sing. Is he my favorite? Absolutely not. But he can sing... probably better than you may think. Go to the 2:00 mark:

Errrr, I doubt that and I serisously doubt that MJ used autotune in his music. Experiement, yes, use in his music, no.

Same here and I just do not feel that he should use anything to enhance his voice. Just sing the song.
He most certainly has used digital enhancements and probably autotune. In "Unbreakable", there is some sort of digital effect clearly on display right before he starts the second verse. I have no clue what it is. He uses effects on his vocal layering so that his voice alone sounds like a massive choir (ala "You Are Not Alone"). There are probably countless other digital enhancements he uses to give his songs a certain sound. He enjoys giving his songs a certain sound and he also does backup vocals on a lot of his songs himself and he uses a lot of digital enhancements in the process.

haha Supe, i remember trying to convince some folk on here that T-Pain can actually sing because i caught his performance on MOBO awards last year:

it was decent. his discography sucks balls, but he can sing. the Auto-Tune is "his" fad, i guess. we wouldn't be talking about him without it, haha.

eighthnoterojo, that's exactly it. just another effect. like your example about the reverb, it's almost always used subtlety, but crank it up in every tune and it becomes annoying.

^^ Exactly. T-Pain needs to stop using the Auto-Tune for once and show himself then. Because he uses it so much people think he CAN'T sing. That's why some freaked when someone heard that will.i.am said that MJ was open to use that, lol!

Heh, this thread has actually caused my enjoyment and respect of Teddy to go up a little bit.

that cher's song is crap and her voice is yuck. sorry. does anyone seriously think it's a great song?
I hope MJ would never use autotune to make his voice sounds like that.
I'd die.

Cher sounds awesome in Believe. She actually has a voice, and sounds great. T-Pain's voice is no where near as good as that of Cher's.

^^ Exactly. T-Pain needs to stop using the Auto-Tune for once and show himself then. Because he uses it so much people think he CAN'T sing. That's why some freaked when someone heard that will.i.am said that MJ was open to use that, lol!

lol..i'm sure that as long as tpain's dollars show themselves, he prob doesn't feel any need to show himself..lol

Exactly! But you know I actually like it when Kanye does it, because he's experimenting, like MJ is, I just hope no artists uses it for the entire album like T-Pain does, lol. That's where most of the distraught posts are basically emoting right now, lol.

haha Supe, i remember trying to convince some folk on here that T-Pain can actually sing because i caught his performance on MOBO awards last year:

it was decent. his discography sucks balls, but he can sing. the Auto-Tune is "his" fad, i guess. we wouldn't be talking about him without it, haha.

eighthnoterojo, that's exactly it. just another effect. like your example about the reverb, it's almost always used subtlety, but crank it up in every tune and it becomes annoying.
New effects and techniques are indeed prone to being a 'fad.' I agree with whoever posted that earlier. Auto tune will probably ride a high while it's still fresh and new (ie. get used everywhere, lol,) and then fall out of fashion when peeps get bored of hearing it all the time, probably within less than a couple years. Then it will start to sound dated. It will then get labeled as 'that 00's sound.' lol It will drop off the radar for a while, until peeps want to use it to sound retro. lol

Ok, I'm exaggerating (or am I?) but eventually it will get used in a more tempered and thoughtful manner. Maybe. lol

autotune has been around for a very long time. do you have the music & me album? autotune is used on Euphoria and Morning Glow

Back