Who Should Star In The 'We Are The World' Remake?

Calotte12

Proud Member

The Grammy Awards go down in Los Angeles this Sunday, January 31, but the biggest musical event of the next few days could actually come the day after. That's when Quincy Jones will be recording a new version of "We Are the World" that will be released as a charity single to benefit earthquake survivors in Haiti.

Jones is teaming up with Lionel Richie to organize the event, with "Crash" director Paul Haggis filming the session. A handful of singers are already attached to it (including Usher and John Legend), but the rest of the musicians who will show up to lend a hand (and a voice) have yet to be named officially. The original version of the song, recorded 25 years ago by an all-star lineup in support of relief in Africa, featured a veritable murderer's row of talent (along with a handful of "Oh yeah, that guy" entries). So let's take a look at some of those original members of USA for Africa and see if we can't figure out who their 2010 equivalents are.

Lionel Richie
2010 Equivalent: Lionel Richie. The dude is helping to produce the thing, after all. It's doubtful he'd pass up an opportunity to sing on two of the biggest

Paul Simon
2010 Equivalent: Dave Matthews. The DMB frontman can provide Simon's mix of folk, rock and world music with a little extra grit in the sugar.

Billy Joel
2010 Equivalent: Elton John. The former Joel touring partner missed out on the first "We Are the World." Since every charity single needs a piano man, John is perfect for the job, as Ben Folds seems a bit too acerbic for the gig.

Michael Jackson
2010 Equivalent: Justin Timberlake. The heir to Jackson's throne as America's greatest entertainment export should be front and center. However, it should be noted that Jackson supposedly recorded parts for "We Are the World" in preparation for his "This Is It" concerts, so the 2010 version of Michael Jackson could very well be Michael Jackson.

Tina Turner
2010 Equivalent: Rihanna. The Barbados-born diva has already lent her voice to the "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon (as have many people on this list), but she could not only provide some memorable melody but also a touch of Caribbean flavor.

Bruce Springsteen
2010 Equivalent: Jon Bon Jovi. He'll satisfy the "Working Class Hero From New Jersey" slot.

Stevie Wonder
2010 Equivalent: Stevie Wonder. He already performed at "Hope for Haiti Now," but why wouldn't you bring back a legend to reprise his role in the original? The case could also be made that, in this particular instance, Wonder is actually the 2010 version of Ray Charles, another USA for Africa member.

Diana Ross
2010 Equivalent: Beyoncé. The new Queen of the Divas needs to stand next to Timberlake as the alphas of the group.

Cyndi Lauper
2010 Equivalent: Justin Bieber. This should be self-explanatory.

Huey Lewis
2010 Equivalent: Maroon 5's Adam Levine. Because seriously, Maroon 5 are totally the News.

Dan Aykroyd
2010 Equivalent: Jack Black. What's a charity single without an appearance from a random comedian? As a bonus, Black can actually sing. This slot could also be taken up by Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen or Jason Segal.

David Paich and Steve Porcaro of Toto
2010 Equivalent: Sean Foreman and Nathaniel Motte of 3OH!3. Because it's inevitable that these guys will eventually write a song about one of the Arquettes.

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2010/01/29/we-are-the-world-remake/

How is Rihanna a replacement for Tina? She's not even a replacement for Bob Dylan. :p

Michael Jackson
2010 Equivalent: Justin Timberlake. The heir to Jackson's throne as America's greatest entertainment export should be front and center. However, it should be noted that Jackson supposedly recorded parts for "We Are the World" in preparation for his "This Is It" concerts, so the 2010 version of Michael Jackson could very well be Michael Jackson.

Tina Turner
2010 Equivalent: Rihanna. The Barbados-born diva has already lent her voice to the "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon (as have many people on this list), but she could not only provide some memorable melody but also a touch of Caribbean flavor.

Diana Ross
2010 Equivalent: Beyoncé. The new Queen of the Divas needs to stand next to Timberlake as the alphas of the group.

ohhellno.gif

Michael Jackson

1497gah.gif

ththl_563089e46bb28bf24ec25ca36c0d5.gif

th2550153.gif

MAKE A NEW SONG!!! DON'T LET A BUNCH OF FAMWHORES DISGRACE THE MEANING OF THE ORIGINAL!!!!!

I can tolerate most of the artist on the list but come on now, Justin effin' Bieber?!

o_O

No! No! No! I'm sorry... But no...

Michael Jackson

MTV should just stop pushing Justin Timberfake as an MJ replacement. He ain't.

I wouldn't mind Usher singing MJ's part IF they don't want to add MJ's vocals.

Justin Timberlake equivalent to MJ? JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE??? GTFO

They're so pathetic. Why can't they make a new song??

I am sorry but without MJ I won't be buying this song! I have already donated a few times to red cross without the song. Oh and Justin Timberlake is no MJ and never will be!

what's the matter, mtv? did songwriting go out of style?

maybe i should ask that of lionel. i don't know.

i guess 'hands across america' made people gun shy when it comes to coming up with a new song.

i got a better idea. why don't everybody just give to haiti and forget the attempted remake.

i need an asprin.

when will mtv, lionel and Jones ever learn? you can't arrange for lightning to strike.

Last edited:
ahahahah, this is laughable, Justin Timberlake is equivalent of Michael Jackson hahahahah, thanks for the laugh :lol:

im gonna slowly moonwalk outta here and laugh, heeeheee heeeeee, shamon!!!! ooooooo hooooo!!!! awwww!!!! :rofl:

BunnyHead you gifs are AWESOME!!!!!! now im out :rofl: bye :lol:
( sorry i was just staying here cause of those gifs, cant stop laghing :rofl: )

JT? compared to Mike? :hysterical: oh lord, I ain't even gonna start on that one. :rofl:

Next...

Justin Timberlake????....nooooooo......:no::no::no: and another NOOOOOO...I'm sorry, there is NO EQUIVALENT.....and never will be...

WTF? :blink: Justin Timberfake as Michael's equivalent? They GOT TO BE kidding. If anything he is Elvis' equivalent. Why not make him that? Deranged, assholes of media people? yeah I know the answer already..

It's really bothering that MICHAL JACKSON is America's biggest ''entertainment export'' it's bothering them so much.. considering how they hype all the other current and past mofo's .

Why can't they just have a "We are the World" Reunion? or re-release using MJ's vocals still?

Let them young folk write they own song! lol! and I feel bad about saying that cause I know it's to help people. But they can re-release it or seriously write their own song.

And no one can replace Michael but what I don't get is. How come it's always Justin Timberlake? they don't sound or move alike. They let Usher perform on all these sorts of tributes but they never give him the MJ equivalent thing? I would compare him as a dancer before Justin. Usher still can't touch mike though.

So I'm just going to pretend that I didn't read the JT thing..cause Michael is untouchable!!!! So...no.:glare:

IMO.. "We Are The World" sould NOT be remade!!!! Re-release it. They shouldn't tamper with a legendary song and collaboration. If it ain't broke..don't fix it!:closedeyes:

NO to JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE!!!!

I prefer Usher if Michael's place has to be taken by an updated artist.

NO to Justin Bieber!!! Out of all the talent we have today, I'm sure they can find somebody else.

NOOOOOO to JACK BLACK!!!!! He disrespected Michael so bad, it would be a travesty!

Everyone else is acceptable. I think Shakira should be there, Wyclef, Will.i.am, Alicia Keys, Janet Jackson! Maybe Prince can finally record his part. . .hehe!

Bet you anything Janet won't participate in this song, not even if they ask/request her.

Last edited:
NOONE! The original song is an anthem and should not be sang by anyone else except for the original participants. If they want to release a humanitarian song they should release What More Can I Give! The rest is crap!

Prince

Maybe Prince can finally record his part. . .hehe!
Yeah right. Prince doesn't do anything if he's not in control of it. That's part of the reason why he recorded his own song for the original "We Are The World" album.

Michael Jackson
2010 Equivalent: Justin Timberlake. The heir to Jackson's throne as America's greatest entertainment export should be front and center...

Let it be Prince Rogers Nelson. He was invited but never showed up for the January 1985 recording session, and remember he was supposed to sing face to face with MJ on the original.

I hope he doesn't turn down Quincy's offer this time.

Marty In LA

Let it be Prince Rogers Nelson. He was invited but never showed up for the January 1985 recording session, and remember he was supposed to sing face to face with MJ on the original.

I hope he doesn't turn down Quincy's offer this time.

Marty In LA
Actually, he did show up. When his limo drove up, some paps jumped in the car to get his picture. His bodyguard 'Big Chick' attacked the photographer and smashed his camera. The photographer had the bodyguard arrested, so Prince left to get him out of jail. Prince even made a song about the incident called "Hello" and put it as the B-side of his single "Pop Life". Prince later offered to put a guitar solo on "We Are The World", but Quincy told him all the music had been recorded, so Prince got Wendy & Lisa and wrote and recorded a song especially for the album "4 The Tears In Your Eyes" and also made a video for it that was shown at Live Aid. The version on the video is different than than the one on the We Are The World album.

Re: Prince

Yeah right. Prince doesn't do anything if he's not in control of it. That's part of the reason why he recorded his own song for the original "We Are The World" album.

And the real reason why he and Mike never collaberated lol. Love Prince Roger Nelson though.

Back