Wembley DVD Critique /Quality and other prefered concerts over Wembley go here

Im sure we have a group of people here that would be happy to play with the quality andsee what they can do to be more for fans likeing.. Give them time!!! Not saying it will look 100% better, but we will see what people pull out.

One of these days the masters will be found and be released.. one of these days might be one of these decades lol! but eventually we will see clear..

For now, the fact I have signed petitions and waited years after years waiting for this.. I am happy to view this.. and I have enjoyed concerts with worse quality, we just didnt complain because it wasnt an official release.. Im happy though and i did not even watch it yet.. TOMARRROOOOWWWW!! Ive seen the quality though.

I watched the concert yesterday and I think the quality is ok. It could have been better but I really enjoyed the concert. Michael's performance was amazing!

another disappointment - first frame issues during Billie Jean, now I notice an awful distortion when MJ goes AAOW in Rock With You. It is not there in the CD mix! :(

They screwed up 5.1 surround sound.

I ripped the core six channels (bit-to-bit to the original master) and produced my own mix, in my opinion like the way it should be, the way MJ liked his mixes: thick, well spread and beautiful dynamics. Also the bass was lacking character in the original version. In my version you can HEAR it groovin, while you can FEEL it!!! and the vocals are more clearer.

For the record, no I didn't just play around with bass and treble.

David Powell did an outstanding job recording this jewel, but the mixing company totally screwed the surround and stereo mixes up. My opinion.

PM, Whizzle. I pretty much agree with you on everything on this live cd mix. No bass, low vocals, can't really feel this. I don't feel they used the 5.1 good enough.

Sitting here now listening to the CD (just got it physical).

PM, Whizzle. I pretty much agree with you on everything on this live cd mix. No bass, low vocals, can't really feel this. I don't feel they used the 5.1 good enough.

Sitting here now listening to the CD (just got it physical).

I can't pm you. Can you pm me your email?

There is something everyone should know about changing mics during a concert. Each mic is carefully tuned for it's purpose.

Mike's mic is tuned for his singing and him only. The backup singers have their mics tuned to their uses. This is common when artists perform live. They have to tune the mics to the level of singing they do, the unique sound of each voice, female or male, backupsinger or lead singer. So Mike could not change mic with one of the backup singers, but he could have one spare for the change from Working Day And Night to Beat It, that is one posibillity. But he could not use the mic from one of the backupsingers, as his voice would not mix with the music as the sound engineer tunes the mics during sound rehearsals, and not during a concert.

True. But its not like he has only one mic setup. at least two, in case the one thats used fails while performing.

I don't understand why making such big deal. it s not like they choose the mics by color. "Main mic is silver for tonight, then we must take reserve mics in silver". He just got backstage one of the mics setup for him in black. Its easy like that.

Hi Whizzle i m giorgio from italy i m totally wih you about the sound is it possible to hear your mix?

I can't pm you. Can you pm me your email?
I added you as contact. Maybe it works to PM me now? Remember to CHECK the "Send message to users even if they are not on your contact list:" which is located below the reply box under the smileys.

I ripped the core six channels (bit-to-bit to the original master) and produced my own mix, in my opinion like the way it should be, the way MJ liked his mixes: thick, well spread and beautiful dynamics. Also the bass was lacking character in the original version. In my version you can HEAR it groovin, while you can FEEL it!!! and the vocals are more clearer.

For the record, no I didn't just play around with bass and treble.

David Powell did an outstanding job recording this jewel, but the mixing company totally screwed the surround and stereo mixes up. My opinion.

Could you teach or just tell us what program you use to strip down the instruments and vocals into separate channels? (like the original multitracks are) I try removing certain sounds on Audicity because i dont know how to on Sound Forge Pro 10.. im having lots of trouble.

Could you teach or just tell us what program you use to strip down the instruments and vocals into separate channels? (like the original multitracks are) I try removing certain sounds on Audicity because i dont know how to on Sound Forge Pro 10.. im having lots of trouble.

SPlayer can do it for you but it won't save, You have to go in the audio tab and click "Channel Controller" and you have to make sure you are on the 5.1 audio channel in SPlayer. I use "DVD Audio Extractor" and it does that pretty well and saves the audio.

Last edited:
Im to tired to read 27 pages, but a few I saw didnt have this, but... Am I the only one pissed about them dubing the CD vocals over the performance ? You can clearly tell there are songs that have cd vocals on them....

The programs that code753cr indicated are good to begin with. ;)

And for good sounding results (audio editing) you need to use programs like Reason. Because software like Sony Vegas is extremely limited when it comes to audio editing.

When I completed my final settings (nearly there) I will share one song. :)

Which song do you want to hear the most?

please take the rest of this discussion to 2000 watts.

This is about DVD quality and not exchanging emails or audio files.

I remember the hysteria of Michael Mania when he came to London for these shows. I was 8 years old and been a fan since I could walk! Because of the crowds and being young I didn't get to go but can remember all the clips on the news and my brothers friend who got to go telling me how amazing it was. The Wembley shows of 88, in particular this one have been the holy grail of MJ releases and now after 24 years of waiting we have it complete to own. Yet what amazes me is that still some people aren't satisfied and are posting negative comments about the quality. Everyone is in their right to post what they want but come on guys we finally have a complete 88 Bad Wembley show! I think the estate has done a great job with the VHS quality, the sound is fantastic and the show is amazing!! Yes the quality isn't HD but the performance and the atmosphere more than make up for it. Michaels untimely passing made the world appreciate the genius he really was and in turn a whole new fan base was born. Now with the release of this historic concert his Legacy can live on and the whole world can watch Michael Jackson in his prime proving that he was and always will be the King Of Pop.

Just watched the dvd with two of my friends!!
LIKE OMG..the energy MJ had!! Best concert/voice ive ever seen/heard.
And yeah, I think the quality is amazing! (watched the dvd on a 42" with an upscale blu-ray player)
heres a screenshot:
322544_10151149644413190_910664049_o.jpg

SPlayer can do it for you but it won't save. I use "DVD Audio Extractor" and it does that pretty well.

Thank you :)
And back on subject, audio is great just wish they could have mixed the instruments better, the drums in Smooth Criminal are kind of dull compared to the leaks back in 2011, the drums from the leak sound like Brunei 1996, the DVD hides that sound in the background. With quality like that it deserves to be mixed properly, dont know why they edited stuff out!

Thank you :)
And back on subject, audio is great just wish they could have mixed the instruments better, the drums in Smooth Criminal are kind of dull compared to the leaks back in 2011, the drums from the leak sound like Brunei 1996, the DVD hides that sound in the background. With quality like that it deserves to be mixed properly, dont know why they edited stuff out!

They should hire me, I am soooo dying to do it for them!

I watched it last night on my computer and the screen was like half screen but the quality of the dvd was good. Its not like blurry it is very visible

I just finished watching this on my fairly new Vizio flat-screen and I'm not certain if it's because I played it on my Xbox 360 (dont have my dvd player setup at the moment), but the quality although viewable was a bet strange at times. The only complaint that I had is that it did not appear to be as clear as I believe it could have been, visually. I won't claim to be an expert, or claim that they could have done more, but there were times where I thought...really? Again, it didn't take away from the show but it did make me shake my head a few times. The coloring was off during a few moments, and the close-ups were fairly awkward at times (especially during Billie Jean). That isn't something that I'm certain that they have control over so I'll let it slide.

The audio is what saves is, that and the fact that I know this is from a VHS copy. When I consider the source, it makes it 100% ok...when I consider how spolied we are in this age, it made me want it to be a little crisper...think History tour Munich quality...that would have been something else. But as I said, the audio did wonders for this. It was truly incredible and I honestly much rather have fantastic audio and acceptable visuals than the other way around.

So although it seems like I've done nothing but complain, I'm satisfied overall. Solid job estate, on the whole package.

As I got my Deluxe Box finally, I was able to watch the DVD on my Bravia TV using a standard DVD player. So I think, I can share with you my point of view on the quality of the show.

At the beginning, I wanted to split my thoughts on each song separetely but it would take too much to write and too much time. So overall, I can say that I'm rather satisfied with the quality. Some shots are restored in a really good way, some not. I'll stick to those second.

Color correction done on some songs is really bad... If you watch eg. Rock With You you can see a lot of blue highlight in some shots like this one:

20sxhd0.jpg

What's more can you see on this pic? The fat as hell halos... I bet that MJMax or MJJLatvia would get rid of them in a few mins. Those halos have a really bad influence on the overall view of the show to me.

4l2cjn.jpg

Another thing that was mentioned like houndred of times is MJ's oragne skin that appears mostly on close-ups. It is really unnatural and it simply seems to be oversaturation.

28v36va.jpg

I noticed as well some damaged frames but can't find them right now, as I would have to watch the full show again right now. But it's not that important. They're not that visible to reduce the viewing experience ;)

To sum it up, the pro crew that was chosen to restore the VHS did a good job but they didn't pay attention to the details. Still we have no comparison as we don't know how the source they've been working on looks like. The strong filters, like denoising one, can but not must suggest that VHS was really in a bad condition. I'll stay to my first opinion and state that the quailty is watchable. And of course it was an awesome experience to finally watch the full BWT show with really good audio ;) Some vocals were incredible!

Re: Wembley DVD Critique /Quality - All discussion on the quality of Wembley DVD go here

I really just think they did a poor job and this isn't quality they should be putting on DVD. I really wish they had the 35 MM. They could of edited and made new angles and even 16:9 and Blu Ray.

I hate so many angles of the concert, what really got me mad was the end of APOM and the close up right on his face! Ugh!

Completely agree with angles comment. Not just in that performance but frequently throught the concert. Incidentally, I've noticed that they HAVE used audio from another concert, or so it would seem....

Check out the performance of Bad mid-way/towards the end. You'll hear it :)

Thats not possible. You can strip the ac3 in 6 separate ch, but not into multitracks like the originals. There are filters that can cut the vocals out or other few tricks, but the results arent anything close to the original multitracks.

Re: Wembley DVD Critique /Quality - All discussion on the quality of Wembley DVD go here

Completely agree with angles comment. Not just in that performance but frequently throught the concert. Incidentally, I've noticed that they HAVE used audio from another concert, or so it would seem....

Which concert? I don't see nothing wrong with the Bad performance. Bad is lip-synced so of course it sounds like that we have heard it before :)

Im to tired to read 27 pages, but a few I saw didnt have this, but... Am I the only one pissed about them dubing the CD vocals over the performance ? You can clearly tell there are songs that have cd vocals on them....

They didn't do that; Michael did. In Smooth Criminal, Bad and Man in the Mirror, Michael had "CD vocals" (pre-recorded vocals) play. He didn't sing the songs live.

Still we have no comparison as we don't know how the source they've been working on looks like.

I have posted this now the third time since there are so many posts and I guess no one has seen it..

Original VHS Quality:
vlcsnap2012091617h10m16.png

"Restored" "DVD Quality":
comparerh.jpg

Yes! They did edit the audio. If you listen to MITM there are times you hear Who's when they shouldn't be there and it's been said they have edited the audio and times where he sings something and it doesn't match the video. They most likely used July 15th with this. They did a bad job editing the audio at times too, they messed up.

Back