Wembley DVD Critique /Quality and other prefered concerts over Wembley go here

Is plays on its full aspect ratio on my tv. So it depends which tv you're watching it on.
Your settings are wrong.
in your blu-ray player you have to set that your display is WS or 16:9.
your tv should be at auto for the AR.
there might be a setting for 4:3 like "keep aspect ratio" or 4:3 pillar-box or something like that.

when you aligned your bd-player and your tv propertly, you won't see 4:3 picture streched.
If you don't like black-barrs on the sides, you can zoom-in on your tv. that fills the 16:9 sceen without streching, but loosing picture on top and bottom. Its only if you prefer.

Last edited:
This comment is from the interview that Greg Phillinganes (and others) did with Vibe magazine...

"Greg: Crazy. But the craziest thing is at the Wembley shows I personally set out to make a statement. During the band solos I would play tunes from artists that I would find out were in the audience. So I had heard Prince was at the show. So I did a whole separate section of “It’s Gonna Be A Beautiful Night” by Prince. I’m talking about the groove, the breakdown and everything! We stepped down to the front of the stage and got the audience to clap on the four. We wore that shit out [laughs]. And I still don’t know if Prince was really in the audience. But the bad news is that session will not be included in this DVD because Prince decided not to give us the rights. And I wish he would change his mind."

http://www.vibe.com/article/bad-25-...rrated-album-era-and-competitive-obsessions-1

So is the Bad Groove section cut down? It's definately from the 16th from what I can see? Maybe Greg means it was another show.

Edit: It's definately from the 16th cos the water bottle is in exactly the same position on the steps. So either they cut out the little bit from the Prince song or they performed that on another night.

Last edited:

MJJLatvia.....what is the footage next to TWYMMF video at the bottom of your posts please?
Cant remember seeing that before.

Just watched the first 3 songs on my 50" Samsung and it is more than watchable. Is anyone having issue with the volume of their subwoofer? I had to go over and turn the volume up full on the sub itself to get it to kick anything out. If I leave it like that the next thing I watch will crumble the house. I thought if it was 5.1 it would be great.

So, I assume no one else is having issues with the .1 of the 5.1 surround. I get barely an audio out of the sub.

MJJLatvia.....what is the footage next to TWYMMF video at the bottom of your posts please?
Cant remember seeing that before.

Man In The Mirror from Los Angeles 1989 last night of the tour, January 27, 1989.

Here is a comparison video - looks like quite an improvement

Michael Jackson: Live at Wembley July 16, 1988 - VHS vs. restored DVD
http://youtu.be/NeZVW0D4TyI EPConcerts

I'm no expert, all I know is what I see with the naked eye, and looking at this the difference is night and day. If this was the original source, then they've done a phenomenal job.

Is plays on its full aspect ratio on my tv. So it depends which tv you're watching it on.

Your settings are wrong.
there might be a setting for 4:3 like "keep aspect ratio" or 4:3 pillar-box or something like that.

when you aligned your bd-player and your tv propertly, you won't see 4:3 picture streched.
If you don't like black-barrs on the sides, you can zoom-in on your tv. that fills the 16:9 sceen without streching, but loosing picture on top and bottom. Its only if you prefer.

There's a considerable difference in quality if you watch it 16:9 and not 4:3 (with black bars on the sides). Our TV was set to show everything "wide" and it was automatically fitting the footage to 16:9 . However it also had a setting which was called "normal" and when I switched to that it was 4:3 with black bars on sides. When the picture is not stretched it looks quite better.

I noticed on the stretched image there is a little more picture which is cut off when in the normal 4:3 mode, when I should have thought it would have been the other way around.

Another thing... about the surround sound mix. I haven't seen it yet, just going by members comments. Yes, we know they had the multi-tracks, but we don't know what the separation was like on the tracks. We don't know what instruments had their own track if any. We don't know if it was 4 track, 8 track, 24 track... nothing. The main question you need to ask yourself is... does it sound good?

But we do know for sure they had his vocals and the piano. Most likely, since it's a multi-track, they usually have all or most instruments alone on one track (or with others). They do have his vocals and they didn't even put it on center.....
It was wasted on drums.

Your settings are wrong.

My TV was setup correctly. My settings are awesome. I've watched the show in its original aspect ratio. 4:3

Like I said I am a quality freak. My settings are perfect.

Here is a comparison video - looks like quite an improvement

Michael Jackson: Live at Wembley July 16, 1988 - VHS vs. restored DVD
http://youtu.be/NeZVW0D4TyI EPConcerts

This is a perfect example of what they did wrong! Ugh! Don't get me wrong, it does look nicer, but the colors! That is the one thing that really got me mad with this. The colors and whites! And the darkness and contrast. Why is he blue?! But, Other than that it's nice and acceptable. But that stuff they just ruined. I think Smooth Criminal was the worst. Sigh. :/

But we do know for sure they had his vocals and the piano. Most likely, since it's a multi-track, they usually have all or most instruments alone on one track (or with others). They do have his vocals and they didn't even put it on center.....
It was wasted on drums.

They screwed up the 5.1 surround sound also.

Take a look at the Genesis Live At Wembley DVD. Perfect picture and pristine sound quality! The voice of Phill Collins is in the center speaker. And it seems like every instrument has its own speaker.

just finished watching the dvd on my 40 inch tv. the quality was not great but defo watchable!! the concert was amazing!!. after around 5 or 6 songs you get used to the quality.

i then switched to a little postage box size on my tv and the quality is amazing lol

My TV was setup correctly. My settings are awesome. I've watched the show in its original aspect ratio. 4:3

Like I said I am a quality freak. My settings are perfect.

Ok. It sounded like you were watching it streched to ws.

Angry about the quality of Bad Wembley? Here's who you can blame:
Reliance Mediaworks (Restoration)
POP Sound (Audio Sweetening)
Incendio (Colour Correction)
Clark Muller (Colorist)

Code, did you send an email to that company I gave you? (although now with the DVD credits listed, maybe did you try any of those?)

Not that it will do any good now, I guess. But they should know!

This is a perfect example of what they did wrong! Ugh! Don't get me wrong, it does look nicer, but the colors! That is the one thing that really got me mad with this. The colors and whites! And the darkness and contrast. Why is he blue?! But, Other than that it's nice and acceptable. But that stuff they just ruined. I think Smooth Criminal was the worst. Sigh. :/

you start to make me angry with your negativity -.-

you know that michael has a big color-light show on stage??? in this part blue-lights are shining on michael! ooooohhh he gets blue!!
MAGIC!!

Code, did you send an email to that company I gave you? (although now with the DVD credits listed, maybe did you try any of those?)

Not that it will do any good now, I guess. But they should know!

Yeah, I did email them but I have not gotten a reply. The others I did not try.

you start to make me angry with your negativity -.-

you know that michael has a big color-light show on stage??? in this part blue-lights are shining on michael! ooooohhh he gets blue!!
MAGIC!!

I'm sorry if I am being negative but it's the truth and I'm being realistic. Sorry. If you don't like my posts then don't read them. Simple. And look at the colors before and after with that bad videos and others, the lights aren't an excuse, they did a terrible job with the colors. Before you see it's not blue,that's not the lighting, just poor enhancements.

I'm sorry if I am being negative but it's the truth and I'm being realistic. Sorry. If you don't like my posts then don't read them. Simple. And look at the colors before and after with that bad videos and others, the lights aren't an excuse, they did a terrible job with the colors. Before you see it's not blue,that's not the lighting, just poor enhancements.

nearly same colors!! just that you can see them better because they made an sharp improvement!

i am more than realistic

Just thought there`s a clue on the dvd as to what type of tv we should be viewing this concert on....
5wb5i.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
hehe :yes: and it does look way better, ive tried both...
I cant fault it really on an old 26 inch crt tv..brilliant..:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Just thought there`s a clue on the dvd as to what type of tv we should be viewing this concert on....
5wb5i.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
hehe :yes: and it does look way better, ive tried both...
I cant fault it really on an old 26 inch crt tv..brilliant..:clap::clap::clap::clap:
WOw!

ahah! what is this, early 80s tv?

On that, its going to be so realistic, like you are there live. like watching the jumbotrons from far far. :bugeyed:eek:

I have a 60 inch TV, so unfortunately the quality is not great... but I don't care, Michael mesmerized me again and again :D I am just too happy to complain about it. Oh Michael!!! :wub: Gosh, those were the days!

WOw!

ahah! what is this, early 80s tv?

On that, its going to be so realistic, like you are there live. like watching the jumbotrons from far far. :bugeyed:eek:

Yeah, that's a TV from the 80's and yes! I feel the same way...it's like it doesn't feel real...
It's hard to explain, I am so used to watching those amateur videos of the screens but seeing this just felt unreal.

nearly same colors!! just that you can see them better because they made an sharp improvement!

i am more than realistic

Not nearly, there is a large blue highlight and yes, they did do good with the sharping. I didn't say that was a problem and so am I.

Not nearly, there is a large blue highlight and yes, they did do good with the sharping. I didn't say that was a problem and so am I.

if you think so, then go on with your negativity :) ill start my second concert session now in front of my laptop..

There is something everyone should know about changing mics during a concert. Each mic is carefully tuned for it's purpose.

Mike's mic is tuned for his singing and him only. The backup singers have their mics tuned to their uses. This is common when artists perform live. They have to tune the mics to the level of singing they do, the unique sound of each voice, female or male, backupsinger or lead singer. So Mike could not change mic with one of the backup singers, but he could have one spare for the change from Working Day And Night to Beat It, that is one posibillity. But he could not use the mic from one of the backupsingers, as his voice would not mix with the music as the sound engineer tunes the mics during sound rehearsals, and not during a concert.

then go on with your negativity :)

It's my opinion. If it's not a good one, oh well. You have your opinions and I have mine. Neither is right or wrong, they are opinions. If you want to tag it as negativity then fine, do so. As long as you ignore them since they seem to anger you.

Back