Vanity-Fair: MJ`s Family: Inside Their Desperate Attempt to Oust Estate Executors

I’m getting a lot of calls about the Michael Jackson story in Vanity Fair, which is an excerpt of a book by Randall Sullivan. Sullivan long ago wrote the unimpressive story of the Billionaire Boys Club. Now he’s back. Anyway: Sullivan says in his piece that Michael Jackson’s funeral was delayed because of financial wrangling between his estate and Janet Jackson over who was going to pay for everything.

This is incorrect. I know it, and the people who have called in know it. Indeed, the estate paid for everything including the Staples Center memorial blockbuster, a $100,000 party that followed in a hotel, and the eventual funeral at Forest Lawn. For the Staples Center extravaganza, AEG Live kicked in. The funeral was delayed over wrangling among family members and Colony Capital about whether Michael should be buried at Forest Lawn or at Neverland.

This went on for weeks. Also, Sullivan–at least in this excerpt– jumps right over the Staples Center deal where Janet pushed Paris Jackson forward to speak, where Louis Farrakhan sat in the row in front of me, and that big party that followed. There is also no mention of Joe Jackson bringing a Michael Jackson impersonator to the BET Awards four days after Michael died. That’s because Sullivan wasn’t there, and doesn’t know what he was talking about.

The Vanity Fair excerpt also deals with Katherine Jackson’s “abduction” earlier this summer. Again, Sullivan doesn’t seem to get it. Katherine Jackson’s lawyer, Perry O. Sanders, a nice guy, went to Arizona to meet Mrs. Jackson with Jermaine and Janet. When he got there, they refused to let him see her. They also told him there were no phones in the rooms where she was staying. This was an out and out lie, which I debunked exclusively.

I do fear that Sullivan’s book is going to be a cover to cover mess after reading this stuff. We’ll see in time what else has to be corrected.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/10/0...d-100k-for-a-big-family-party-and-the-funeral

From the Estate Of Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson’s Wembley Concert is the No. 1 selling DVD in the world. Spike Lee’s Bad 25 documentary is drawing rave reviews from film critics and will air on ABC Thanksgiving night. Entertainment Weekly gave Bad 25 album an “A” calling it “a potent reminder of just how much Bad's pulsing pop holds up.” Cirque du Soleil’s “Michael Jackson the Immortal World Tour” was Pollstar’s top selling North American concert tour in the first six months of 2012, debuts this month in Europe and recently received Billboard’s Creative Content Award. And "This Is It" is the most successful concert film…EVER.

The world loves Michael Jackson. Rest assured that every action the Estate takes will continue to endeavor that fans experience exciting new projects that further build upon and enhance his incredible legacy as an artist and humanitarian, while securing the financial future of those he specifically named as his beneficiaries.

Sadly the full potential of Michael’s legacy continues to be hindered by a small handful of people who recklessly spread false rumors and obsess over stale, internet-fueled conspiracy theories much as they did when Michael was alive. These rumors have long since been debunked and have no legal or factual foundation.

This week, some of these baseless theories appeared yet again in an article in Vanity Fair in the form of an excerpt from a book written by Randall Sullivan that will rehash these tired theories. While we do not want or need to respond to all of the nonsense, we do want to remind everyone of at least a few truths.

The suggestion that John Branca or Howard Weitzman have a conflict of interest when it comes to AEG, and for that reason did not join Katherine Jackson in suing AEG, is not only false but reckless and noticeably unsupported by any facts. The Estate chose not to join in the lawsuit because it saw no evidence that AEG was culpable in Michael's tragic passing. Eventually, should the case proceed to trial any decision on AEG’s liability will be decided by a jury. That said, the Executors are troubled by the unfortunate and distasteful information being brought out in those proceedings which could sully and damage Michael's reputation and our memory of him.

Another outrageously false claim is that Michael’s burial was delayed by any action of the Estate.

As for the Will filed in the Probate Court, let's be clear: IT IS LEGALLY VALID, and the court properly appointed John Branca and John McClain as co-Executors. Those who wished to contest Michael’s wishes had every opportunity to challenge his Will. It should be noted that the 2002 will is consistent with Michael’s wishes as expressed in three prior wills.

Sitting in the cheap seats and perpetuating tired cloak and dagger theories as Mr. Sullivan has done is not journalism, it's gossip mongering for profit. Look no further than some of the sources Sullivan relied upon for much of the incorrect information he chose to include in this book.

Our commitment is and always has been to Michael’s legacy, his beneficiaries, his fans and to the spirit of an extraordinary artist and humanitarian who continues to touch the world.

"That said, the Executors are troubled by the unfortunate and distasteful information being brought out in those proceedings which could sully and damage Michael's reputation and our memory of him."

Oh, my god.

I wish that the Estate would sue this guy since the executors are likely going to be dragged through the mud in his book judging by the Vanity Fair article. If they can't sue him on Michael's behalf, then they should sue for themselves. It sounds to me like this guy writing the book is outright calling them crooks and frauds who forged Michael's will and then took over his Estate. The author of the book should not get away with that. I personally think that the Estate should take this guy to court rather than just release statements.

Last edited:
Thanks ivy. when u read statements like that u think it would/should come from the family. but the estate are fighting on many fronts. the family included..

I feel bad for Prince, Paris and Blanket. Nobody thinks of them with these things.

I feel bad for Prince, Paris and Blanket. Nobody thinks of them with these things.

I know right its like they saying "who cares bout the kids its all bout the $$$$" its disgusting

I can state from meeting and talking to the man that John Branca is nothing like how that Vanity Fair article describes him and is in fact a very warm and understanding person.

I know right its like they saying "who cares bout the kids its all bout the $$$$" its disgusting

If the family would protect Michael and his reputation then they protect his kids as well. His kids truly loved him and they say the best things about him that people 3 or 4 times their age cannot seem to do. I would rather hear about Michael from Paris than from Katherine or any other Jackson at this point. Even in death Michael continues to be disrepected and trashed and his children have to see this. These articles, books and behaviors the last 3 years are just shameful. I feel bad for the kids because they are stuck in this craziness that you just know Michael would hate for them to be in.

If the family would protect Michael and his reputation then they protect his kids as well. His kids truly loved him and they say the best things about him that people 3 or 4 times their age cannot seem to do. I would rather hear about Michael from Paris than from Katherine or any other Jackson at this point. Even in death Michael continues to be disrepected and trashed and his children have to see this. These articles, books and behaviors the last 3 years are just shameful. I feel bad for the kids because they are stuck in this craziness that you just know Michael would hate for them to be in.

i wish the family would care more and sheild the kids away from the crazyness......then again that family are the crazyness!

The last 3 years have been a real eye opener for me. It's not at all what I expected or thought would happen. I think it's just sad.

I dont think any of us expected it to be like this

4440465_f260.jpg

New Michael Jackson Book Looks Like Clip Job: Read Original Stories Here

The new Michael Jackson book excerpted in Vanity Fair looks like a clip job. As well, author Randall Sullivan seems to have depended on the most questionable of the Jackson so called “insiders” as his sources. They include Brian Oxman, who was never Michael’s lawyer, was fired by Tom Mesereau during the 2005 criminal case, and is now disbarred finally after many sanctions by the California Bar Association; Howard Mann, a Toronto online gaming entrepreneur who recently lost a major case to the Jackson estate; and Tohme Tohme, Michael’s short-lived manager currently being sued by the estate.
No one I’ve talked to associated with the Jackson estate, or the real “inner circle” has spoken to Sullivan. His book is being published by Grove Press, which sold the rights to Vanity Fair. The magazine can’t know that Sullivan’s sources are highly suspect, or that much of the material they’ve got from him comes other sources including this column. Sullivan never covered Jackson during his life, wasn’t around during his trial or its aftermath, but now pitches himself as an expert.
Sullivan also seems to be, at least in the Vanity Fair excerpt, on the side of the Will-doubters. This is the group that thinks Michael Jackson’s Will was forged or invented. I liken them to the Obama birthers.
Sullivan cites this column toward the end of his excerpt in the new Vanity Fair, but really–most of the stuff in this story comes from other places. It’s a clip job. I suspect his book will be much the same. Look for the fingerprints of other disgruntled ex-Jacksonians.
Anyway, here are some links to stories I wrote where Sullivan may have found inspiration:

http://www.showbiz411.com/2009/06/26/20090626michael-jacksons-last-will-was-completed-in-2002
http://www.showbiz411.com/2009/06/28/20090628jackson-family-where-theres-a-will-theres-a-way
http://www.showbiz411.com/2009/06/27/20090627michael-jackson-burial-neverland-ranch\
http://www.showbiz411.com/2009/06/2...therine-mom-custody-john-branca-legal-mistake
http://www.showbiz411.com/2009/06/2...ney-debt-400-million-neverland-mijac-aeg-tohm

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/10/0...ooks-like-clip-job-read-original-stories-here

regardless of whether rogers right or not. i have to laugh at how hes acting like some jealous old .... writing articles saying how bad this book is like the author is treading on his toes talking about HIS subject.. green eyed monster or what lol

I love the letter from executors, so carefully worded but makes clear where they are standing:D

"The world loves Michael Jackson. Rest assured that every action the Estate takes will continue to endeavor that fans experience exciting new projects that further build upon and enhance his incredible legacy as an artist and humanitarian, while securing the financial future of those he specifically named as his beneficiaries."

In my opinion, they are doing that, they look after Michael's legacy the way Jackson's should have done years ago.
Also loved the part that they are saying that they are securing financial future of those named as his beneficiaries:D
Can you read that Randy, Jermaine and Co?

"Sadly the full potential of Michael’s legacy continues to be hindered by a small handful of people who recklessly spread false rumors and obsess over stale, internet-fueled conspiracy theories much as they did when Michael was alive. These rumors have long since been debunked and have no legal or factual foundation."

They are right about that.
I'm sure they include some of the Jackson's on that small handful of reckless people.

"The suggestion that John Branca or Howard Weitzman have a conflict of interest when it comes to AEG, and for that reason did not join Katherine Jackson in suing AEG, is not only false but reckless and noticeably unsupported by any facts. The Estate chose not to join in the lawsuit because it saw no evidence that AEG was culpable in Michael's tragic passing. Eventually, should the case proceed to trial any decision on AEG’s liability will be decided by a jury. That said, the Executors are troubled by the unfortunate and distasteful information being brought out in those proceedings which could sully and damage Michael's reputation and our memory of him."

I didn't even know it was possible for them to join in for lawsuit?
That says a lot about Katherine vs AEG lawsuit. If they saw no evidence of AEG's culpability, why K and Co didn't see it? Were they blinded with $$$$ signs? Interesting choice of wording whether the case is going to trial:)
The last part of the paragraph is troubling. They know what is going to come out and they say it could sully and damage MJ's reputation and our memory of him:cry:

"Another outrageously false claim is that Michael’s burial was delayed by any action of the Estate."
Another interesting choice of wording:) The delay came from family.

"Sitting in the cheap seats and perpetuating tired cloak and dagger theories as Mr. Sullivan has done is not journalism, it's gossip mongering for profit. Look no further than some of the sources Sullivan relied upon for much of the incorrect information he chose to include in this book."

and that should have directed to Jackson's too.

shelly_webster;3719836 said:
This is incorrect. I know it, and the people who have called in know it. Indeed, the estate paid for everything including the Staples Center memorial blockbuster, a $100,000 party that followed in a hotel, and the eventual funeral at Forest Lawn. For the Staples Center extravaganza, AEG Live kicked in. The funeral was delayed over wrangling among family members and Colony Capital about whether Michael should be buried at Forest Lawn or at Neverland.

There is also no mention of Joe Jackson bringing a Michael Jackson impersonator to the BET Awards four days after Michael died.

The Vanity Fair excerpt also deals with Katherine Jackson’s “abduction” earlier this summer. Again, Sullivan doesn’t seem to get it. Katherine Jackson’s lawyer, Perry O. Sanders, a nice guy, went to Arizona to meet Mrs. Jackson with Jermaine and Janet. When he got there, they refused to let him see her. They also told him there were no phones in the rooms where she was staying. This was an out and out lie, which I debunked exclusively.

That party that Jackson's held after the funeral, they have been partying ever since at Michael's cost.

How sick is to bring impersonator and only 4 days after his son death:puke:

What Roger is on about in his last paragraph?
P Sanders went to Arizona with Jermaine and Janet, but once he got there, J & J didn't let him talk to Katherine?
That makes no sense if J&J allowed and wanted him to travel there to meet K, but once there, he wasn't allowed talk to Katherine at all?

Did I read it somewhere that Sullivan interviewed Tohme for this book?
If so, I think Tohme's case to get money from estate looks pretty slim if he has to resort giving interviews for this kind of book.
Oxman is no surprise, he just loves to see his name on tabloids.

The last 3 years have been a real eye opener for me. It's not at all what I expected or thought would happen. I think it's just sad.

I agree, real eye opener. Some of the people I thought were bad ones, turned out to be good ones, and some of the people I thought to be good ones, turned to be bad ones.
The biggest change for me was Jackson family members. I used to think highly of them, but like you said, last 3 years has been an eye opener.

I hope fans don't buy that mess...we already know the public WON'T ... Let's hope CURIOSITY don't get the best of some of us.

I hope fans don't buy that mess...we already know the public WON'T ... Let's hope CURIOSITY don't get the best of some of us.

I'm with you Memefan.

No offense to anybody, but it does appear that WE are always to ones to run out and purchase these types of things and/or support a tacky MJ related program on television. Knowing good and well, that we not only know what's going to be written and/or said, but that those things will be upsetting to most of us.

I ain't spending any of my hard earned dollars on any of that type of nonsense. IF I'm at all interested, I will just come here (one of the reasons I love this place) and read what has been posted on said topic and that includes articles such as this, or books written by family members.

At this point, in my opinion, the Jackson Family, not Michael, will come out looking really bad, if anything. ESPECIALLY after the whole Mother Napping incident, wherein the general public got a chance to see how desperate certain members of the Jackson Family are when it comes to getting their hands on Michael's money.

And lastly, let me just add, if they want to discuss the "fake" Will again, can they please come up with something aside from the often repeated story regarding WHERE Michael was when he signed the document. At this point, that argument is played out, in my opinion.

We all saw autopsy report so Sullivan is mostly talking shite.
I cannot understand how he could be so stupid to write something that can be proven to be untrue in seconds, although what he wrote about LaToya, Janet and katherine, that was true.

I think like a lot of these tabloid journalists, he relies on people's laziness to look up facts for themselves. And the sad thing is that journalists get away with relying on people's laziness because people ARE lazy to look up facts for themselves. If it's on TV people believe it, no matter if facts tell otherwise.

I think like a lot of these tabloid journalists, he relies on people's laziness to look up facts for themselves. And the sad thing is that journalists get away with relying on people's laziness because people ARE lazy to look up facts for themselves. If it's on TV people believe it, no matter if facts tell otherwise.

Depends what is in the book,if there is crap about Michael, then we need to go on war against this Randall guy and start commenting in Amazon and other places, but if the crap is about Jackson's, they get what they deserve. As Janet put it nicely, you can lead the horse near to water, but you cannot make the horse drink. They can clean up their own mess and fight their own fights.

I'm quite sure Randy will say executors are behind this book too:D

I hope one of us reads the book and then gives us a summary about it. It will eventually find its way to Jetzi so no point to purchase it anyway:D

This is unrelated to above post, but I'm surprised that Janet hasn't issued a statement yet, as headliners are not pretty for her.

Last edited:
I would be happy to do a summary.

See I don't think ignoring is the answer. If we see ourselves as an activist fans and want to correct misinformation then we should be informed about what is out there and that means some people have to get the stuff and read and summarize it and so on. But at the same time it requires not all of us rush and buy it and give the people sales / money.

I agree with that Ivy. You read that book and do the summary for us who refuse to buy it. If there is crap about Michael, we'll go on war for Michael, but if there is crap about Jacksons, Janet knows what to do and Randy can take up twitter and X17:D

I agree with that Ivy. You read that book and do the summary for us who refuse to buy it. If there is crap about Michael, we'll go on war for Michael, but if there is crap about Jacksons, Janet knows what to do and Randy can take up twitter and X17:D

I am ONLY and advocate for Michael and his three kids that's it.Like you said Bubs, I've always going to war for Michael and always will. Of course the estate gets my full support. But if this is all about the Jackson family and their greedy selves then let them fight their own battles.

Oh no not another so called insider....How many is that now? -_- It's so boring, so tired and played out. Half of the book I'm sure will be ish we already heard and other rumors...who the hell cares anymore? And Vanity Fair...Gee what a surprise there, not! Really pisses me off this kind of ish get's more attention then a book that is positive about MJ. Oh this world! SMH

I can't believe what I'm reading. There was a PARTY after the memorial service? Who are these people?

I'm deeply saddened that this book is being published. I thought all those sketchy writers had been done with MJ subject by 2010. Apparently not.

What can we do to limit the damage from this book? Other than leaving negative reviews to it? I'm afraid a twitter war will only give it more attention. It's freaking 704 pages! Almost like a Taraborelli bio. Imagine how much BS about Michael may fit inside!

I can screenshot through the Kindle book and upload it for everyone who is curious, so that we do not have to support it with our money. (Mods please let me know if such a download will be allowed - I don't want to spend time for nothing).

Back