US Presidential Election ... [All recent threads merged here]

Re: US Presidential Election

CindyRilla, thanks for everything you have posted. You and Datsmay definitely keep things interesting . . .

I am still struggling with dialup but getting adsl by the end of the month. Once I do so, I will take your advice and give Zeitgeist a watch.

Ohhhh I'm so sorry you are on dial up. Dial up is a killer! I was on that for many YEARS until our area finally had cable internet. Then about a year ago, I got fed up with Comcast TV & Internet (had been with them since 2000) Prices kept going up for no more but WORSE services! It was a nightmare (and I'm saying that politely! LOL) We were paying over $120.00 a month for VERY crappy internet services and only 70 channels on TV!
Last year in April, we got a great offer and I signed up with Qwest DSL for 26.99 a month for LIFE. And with the deal, I also get great landline services, AND DirecTV with over 140 channels - all 3 services on ONE BILL for around 100.00 a month!

I hope your DSL service is as reliable as ours has been. I've NEVER regretted leaving Cable internet.

BTW, my husband found a really good quality of Zeitgeist on Bittorrent. He really likes this movie and was not aware of it until he read my long winded email. LOL
ALSO Zeitgeist is coming out with an Addendum to this Oct 2008. On the author's web site you can see a trailer video about it.

It is soooo hot here today! Seriously we were like 47F last week and rain and cold and BAM we're up over 94F here today! This keeps happening.. we jump from winter right into summer. We really don't have spring anymore.

Hopefully it won't be too hot on Sunday. Lots of peeps are going to that Rally in Downtown, Portland, Oregon. I wonder if we'll be allowed to bring our camera's to this. ??? ANYONE KNOW?

Last edited:

My godness MJ fans have been Obamatized.

Not quite sure how to take that... but I've been a fan of Michael's since I was knee high to a grass hopper - I even remember watching him on the Ed Sulliven show.. yea that's how old I am.

As for Obama... well, for me - from the get go of all this, it was sort of a toss up between Clinton and Obama. I've watched this closely - very closely - have done my research and well it's now down to THREE to choose from by the time it comes to OREGON.

My decision and VOTE is for Obama. I didn't just get Obamatized.. It's been a long year for me and it's what I have decided and it's finally my turn to vote. :)

I'm sry, Cindy, but what does this have to do with this thread topic?
Sorry Mello, it was sort of a reply to another on here..

I know.. my momma' always told me "NEVER talk about Politics, Religion, Race or Sex when at work, or where ever".. (probably like here), she said "you'll cause some waves..."

But I was rather miffed with the MASS media and how they really tried to stick it to Obama for what his pastor had said. It still goes on, and McLame is just biting at the chance to bring it up again when and if it's OBAMA vs McLame in Nov 2008.

as opposed to duped? or further duped if we're talking relativity.

Well that's politics for ya! All of them are completely full of it. Clinton should just give up now, she's got no chance. Frankly, I don't care who gets the nomination, though obviously it's going to be Obama at this point. I never really liked any of them. I don't like politics in general, as it's nothing but one big game of saying what people want to hear, not saying what's actually is. I just don't like Obama's manner, but I don't think he'll make any better or any worse or a president, should he win, then Clinton. Now we'll just have to see if all those people who voted for Obama are willing to see that vote all the way through.

I knew this was going to be big, but not this big!

I don't know if you guys are watching the news tonight.. but on local and NATIONAL news stations it is saying the Obama Rally that took place May 18, 2008, on Waterfront Park, near Downtown Portland Oregon was HUGE and was the biggest turnout in history for the Democrat party:

Senator Obama spoke before a crowd of 75,000 people in Portland, Oregon on May 18th, 2008. This was the largest crowd of any event in the Democratic Primary.

Here is another cool video someone uploaded to Youtube:

I am currently recording TONIGHT the bits of news from CNN, MSNBC, Associated Press on this and hope to compile it and upload it. Tomorrow night should also be interesting too...

Tomorrow is THE DAY for Oregon & Kentucky.... I already know what Oregon will show :)

Last edited:

i dont want any of them to be my president :puke:

**heads to Canada**

Oh my, that's a lot of people! Polls are closing in about an hour or so... I think these two states are going to be interesting. He's getting closer and closer to that golden number. Now that he's ahead in delegates, superdelegates, and the popular vote... I think it's clear who the winner is overall.

Oh my, that's a lot of people! Polls are closing in about an hour or so... I think these two states are going to be interesting. He's getting closer and closer to that golden number. Now that he's ahead in delegates, superdelegates, and the popular vote... I think it's clear who the winner is overall.

I am so glad I do NOT live in KY... I've been watching this all intensely and VERY shocked... dang..
I heard on the news tonight that in KY, 22% of VOTERS ADMITTED to pollsters that RACE FACTORED INTO HOW THEY VOTED!!!

And those were the ones that ADMITTED to THIS! Obviously you know the percentage is probably higher... *sigh*

Thank heavens I do NOT live in KY but in OREGON instead!

NY is barely covering this now over Oregon as it is still running (although it definitely looks like Obama has Oregon) .... but we'll all hear more about Oregon tomorrow... :)

Which is FINE by me as long as it's NOT this guy :tease::

:wild:

(psssst! DO SOMETHING!)

Last edited:

i dont want any of them to be my president :puke:

**heads to Canada**

Hun, Canada even strongly supports Obama...
So we are now down to 3, you gotta' vote. You can't just NOT vote...
Of the 3 who would you go with?

please don't move to Canada.... they have the same probs and heartaches we have...

***and my siggie died too... :( it was only about my son Cameron with Autism. ***

Edit >> OHHH it (siggie) is back up again! LOL

Last edited:

Actually, you don't have to vote if you don't want to. I've never voted and I don't think I ever will, lol.

Actually, you don't have to vote if you don't want to. I've never voted and I don't think I ever will, lol.

And that MIGHT be partly why Bone head BUSH made it a 2nd term in the White House....

This year for the Nov 08 elections, there has never been a bigger turn out thus far as what we've seen in the past months. Many who had NO involvement before are now getting involved and/ or voting in these primaries more than ever...Nobody wants to see another Bush in the White House.

Also if you DON'T VOTE, you have no right to complain. However, if you are younger than 18, you by all means have a right since you are not old enough to vote. (I think I read some where recently that they are considering to LOWER the voting age to like 14 or 16 years old )

Last edited:

Well I don't complain. All politicians are in essense the same to one another, they all are about empty promises and inconsistent policy where nothing is consistent and nothing really makes a real difference. Changes in law don't change the way the world is. I'm neither Democrate nor Rebublican, and with the electoral college in place, it makes the actual vote seem somewhat obsolete anyway. To me, Bill Clitnon was basically as bad as Bush because of his neutral and passive approach.

Last edited:

Well I don't complain. All politicians are in essense the same to one another, they all are about empty promises and inconsistent policy where nothing is consistent and nothing really makes a real difference. Changes in law don't change the way the world is.
Very dangerous way of thinking.
My anchestors had thought that way... then Hitler got 'elected' and they learnt different with the rest of the world.

What's dangerous? Seeing that politics is largely a game of semantics and policy shifting? You have to make people believe something before you can make them live it. Changing the law doesn't do that. Our votes don't really count anyway. It's an indirect system which can go either way. If the electoral college wasn't in place, I might be more interested. But politicians aren't interested in doing what the "people" want, they are interested in saying what the people want to hear and then doing something totally different.

And Hitler got elected because the rest of the world put Gemany in to such a bad position by putting so many restrictions on them and weighing them down with an insurmountable debt that the people were willing to believe whatever they were told, as long as it looked to be a solution to their impovershed conditions. Hitler was dynamic and he made them believe he could bring their country back to glory. You have to be able to change the way people percieve before you can change the way they live. Laws and policies rarely have that affect. Only conditioning really does. When people are made to be desperate, they'll do almost anything.

Last edited:

you describe that right.

Hitler was the one who came and made ppl think they do have influence again.
Before that they've thought all taking part in politics wouldn't change a thing anymore anyways. And all those politicians before Hitler weren't changing things enough.

And yeah there's also surely some part of blame how restrictions were put on Germany... but start with the ppl in the country... and start with asking ppl how Hitler could happen... my grandparents could tell.
It was the believe politics will not change the whole situation ever... well then came Hitler (ab)used politics perfectly and surprised in a way also his political opponents... because ppl were drunk in passiveness and yep also feeling sorry for themselves.
The principle is easy if the good ppl don't do a thing... the bad ppl will win everything.
Valid as much for ppl in power as for ppl on the street.

Last edited:

I think the voting system in the Us is very corrupted and wrong anyway. we all have to vote here in Aus and it works out fairly fine.

I think the voting system in the Us is very corrupted and wrong anyway. we all have to vote here in Aus and it works out fairly fine.
yeah but if that is true, it's time to take part in maybe changing the system and not just not to take part anymore... that's what I call dangerous.

It's not that I don't think politics can't have an affect. It can. But simple changes in law or policy won't do it. You have to change the way people see, the way they percieve, before a law will be accepted and thought of as either right or wrong. It takes a long time to open people's eyes, and politics is so fickle, with leaders and policies and reform changing so often, that some people don't even know what's going on. Change happens when you can teach people, one thing or another, not through simple changes in written laws, etc...

Someone like Hitler happens when people are desperate and they decided that what Hitler was saying to them sounded good, so they went with it. The root of the problem began not with the people but with the aftermath of WWI.

Attempts have been made to change the electoral college system, but because things are so complicated in our senate, the bill has never even gotten through. It's been tried, several times.

Last edited:

It's not that I don't think polotics can't have an affect. It can. But simple changes in law or policy won't do it. You have to change the way people see, the way they percieve, before a law will be accepted and thought of as either right or wrong. It takes a long time to open people's eyes, and politics is so fickle, with leaders and policies and reform changing so often, that some people don't even know what's going on.

Someone like Hitler happens when people are desperate and they decided that what Hitler was saying to them sounded good, so they went with it. The root of the problem began not with the people but with the aftermath of WWI.

Hitler is not the point let's not get to far ot... the point is voting or not... taking part in politics or not. And I'm saying passivity is dangerous.
If you think of yourself as good and smart and intelligent and you do not take part then be it... but there's a huge danger ppl who are not good spirited do take part to use the (maybe not perfect) system for their agenda.

There were reasons why JFK told his ppl: "Don't ask what your country is doing for you, better start with asking what you can do for your country."

Better think twice before you decide not to take part as long as you have the chance to take part.

And just as an example, in England in the late 1700s, slavery eventaully was banned, and it wasn't because of it being banned in Congress, it was because people, the wifes of slave ship sailors largely, began to oppose it in large numbers, telling their husbands that if they continued to go on these voyages that that was the end of their being together, telling them it was either them or the slave ships. And so the men working those ships started not showing up, and the slave industry began to lose money, etc... It was also a lot of woman realizing how morally wrong slavery was, and influencing their husbands because of it. Because of this overall affect and awakening within the public regarding slavery, congress then decided that it was time to do away with it. It's not so much votes which cause change, but how people think and act. They can affect change within their government through how they conduct themselves, not particularly just through votes. It's when there is a shift in people's perceptions that changes within politics really start to have an impact, usually that is the only time changes in politics that actually matter occure, when people themselves change. That's my entire point. I'm not suggesting being passive. I'm simply stating that the greatest way to affect change is by yourself changing, not relying of elected officials to make everything right.

Last edited:

Olbermann's extremely annoying and a complete sensationalist. i feel very uneasy about Clinton, but this guy needs to tone down the thrilling impressions he's adding to the already unnecessary hype in this campaign.

and regarding the matter, yesterday in Puerto Rico Obama said:

"I have learned that when you are campaigning for as many months as Senator Clinton and I have been campaigning, sometimes you get careless in terms of the statements that you make and I think that is what happened here,"

"Senator Clinton says that she did not intend any offense by it and I will take her at her word on that."

very honourable man considering how she blasted him for every little thing one can dig up.

Olbermann's extremely annoying and a complete sensationalist. i feel very uneasy about Clinton, but this guy needs to tone down the thrilling impressions he's adding to the already unnecessary hype in this campaign.

When you look at all the MASS (controlled) MEDIA we have out there in the US, ie: CNN, Fox, ABC, and such, Olbermann often has the courage to speak out on what many of us think... and dare not say.

About the only NEWS I watch anymore is Olbermann, and Bill Moyer's Journal. Oh, and Jon Stewart of the DailyShow is another interesting but different way of getting the news :rofl:

What I would consider ANNOYING is Bush & Company... or McCain (please NOT another 4 years of the same!) Or Hillary... I'd like a woman in the White House one day, but NOT this woman, NOT THIS CLINTON. Not this time.

Jon Stewart is one of the few american comedian TV show hosts that I actually find funny. Letterman, Leno, O'Brien etc all piss me off. I don't like being yelled at and I don't appreciate comedians who laugh at their own jokes. Stewart does the same I suppose but I just find him less condescending as opposed to the others.
I've never understood why yelling your jokes at someone is considered funny :unsure:

either way I agree with you Cindy it's a more interesting way to get the news :lol:

you describe that right.

Hitler was the one who came and made ppl think they do have influence again.
Before that they've thought all taking part in politics wouldn't change a thing anymore anyways. And all those politicians before Hitler weren't changing things enough.

And yeah there's also surely some part of blame how restrictions were put on Germany... but start with the ppl in the country... and start with asking ppl how Hitler could happen... my grandparents could tell.
It was the believe politics will not change the whole situation ever... well then came Hitler (ab)used politics perfectly and surprised in a way also his political opponents... because ppl were drunk in passiveness and yep also feeling sorry for themselves.
The principle is easy if the good ppl don't do a thing... the bad ppl will win everything.Valid as much for ppl in power as for ppl on the street.

I agree. One of my favorite quotes is:

"The only way for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."
- E. Burke (1729-1797)

And close behind:

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever does."
- Margaret Mead (1901-1978)

Greedy, selfserving people seeking power count on the opposing populace remaining silent and/or ignorant.

Saying that it doesn't pay to participate because ALL politicians are false is a cop out. There ARE people with high ideals that strive to (and some even succeed) enter politics. They need citizen support to do what is right however. They need a groundswell of letters behind them to help them push legislation through. It does not take that great a percentage of the population active to swing the rest around. Most people are followers. That is why the two quotes above are so valid, 300 years ago and still today.

Last edited:

I'm voting for Obama. I refuse to vote for Hillary Clinton. If I'm going to vote for a Clinton, it will be Bill again. Aside from the affair he had and lied about it, he did a pretty good job in office.

If it comes down to her and McCain, I'm jumping the aisle and voting Republican.

Hopefully Obama wins the Democratic Nomination and is smart enough NOT to choose her as his runningmate.

Back