Unpopular opinions

As long as the internet and Clear Channel remains in existence, it never will.
Internet is also a medium for indie artists to thrive though. And the overall mainstream level is still horrib, but I can actually relate to the "dance pop" theme much more than boy bands and hip hop.

Lupus. Laryngitis. Age.

I don't see the words 'Neo-Soul is real music' anywhere in her post. She was obviously talking about RnB specifically, not ALL genres.

Stop giving MJ excuses..he sung live earlier in his career..he still could've did it later in his career as well..MJ was diagnosed with lupus in 84, but during the Bad tour he sung everything live..

You post all of what MJsCarousel said about Neo-Soul artist..The artists she mentioned in her quote are the most talented artist out in her opinion..and guess what? They all happen to be Neo-Soul artists..And if you read most of her arguments, she talks about Neo-Soul artists as if they are the most talented artists ever..I love Neo-Soul, but I believe that there are other artists who aren't in that genre that make great music..Anyways, lets move on..we can all agree to disagree!!

If Beyonce is ever considered in the league of Michael, it's an insult to Mike. Not trying be rude, but to be realistic. Mike just crushes B on every level. She's 29, does she have a trademark? Is there anything she pioneered? Come on now. Do I need to list of Mike's achievements and ground breaking feats? I think yall know.

Sorry to keep this argument alive but I joined in late lol.

Get rid of the digital stuff and put it out to pasture, and bring back 45s, LPs, cassettes, 8-tracks, & reel to reel. The cassette single and 16rpm records can stay away however, lol.

DirtyDianaMJ☆;2785772 said:
Stop giving MJ excuses..he sung live earlier in his career..he still could've did it later in his career as well..MJ was diagnosed with lupus in 84, but during the Bad tour he sung everything live..

I think you need to learn the distinction between 'excuses' and reasons.

P.S. Lupus can go into remission and flare up at any time. It was not a constant issue for Michael.

P.S. Lupus can go into remission and flare up at any time. It was not a constant issue for Michael.

If it wasn't a constant issue..then he could've sung live more..he still sung live after he was diagnosed with lupus and after all of those other conditions (Victory & Bad Tours)..those reasons aren't acceptable..but like I said lets agree to disagree..this is called the Unpopular Opinions thread..so not everyone is going to agree with other people's opinion..

If Beyonce is ever considered in the league of Michael, it's an insult to Mike. Not trying be rude, but to be realistic. Mike just crushes B on every level. She's 29, does she have a trademark? Is there anything she pioneered? Come on now. Do I need to list of Mike's achievements and ground breaking feats? I think yall know.

Sorry to keep this argument alive but I joined in late lol.

I didn't put Beyonce on the same level as MJ..

I said that Beyonce is a better performer (the best female performer) than she is an artist (she is not the best composer)..after I said that, MJsCarousal (the Beyonce hater) started attacking me because I praised Beyonce..

Anyways, Back to scheduled programming!!

Last edited:
DirtyDianaMJ☆;2785803 said:
If it wasn't a constant issue..then he could've sung live more..he still sung live after he was diagnosed with lupus and after all of those other conditions (Victory & Bad Tours)

Did you not read what I said? Lupus can go into remission and 'come back' at any time. Certain factors (age being one of many) can make it flare up in varying severity. He was able to sing live during Victory and Bad because, aside from generally being younger and fitter, he did not seem to be suffering from a lupus flare up AT THAT TIME. So what you said makes no sense whatsoever. Maybe he could've sung a little more live, for award shows, but not entire setlists, since in the later years (HIStory tour and MSG especially) Lupus was a far bigger problem for him than it had been during the Thriller and Bad eras. Lupus causes lung inflammation which leads to shortness of breath. That in itself (not even counting the other issues it can cause) is a very good reason why singing every song live was out of the question for MJ. Realistically, suffering from Lupus meant he shouldn't really have been touring at all. He was fortunately very fit and athletic as a younger man so it never became a big problem for him until later in life.

Did you not read what I said? Lupus can go into remission and 'come back' at any time. Certain factors (age being one of many) can make it flare up in varying severity. He was able to sing live during Victory and Bad because, aside from generally being younger and fitter, he did not seem to be suffering from a lupus flare up AT THAT TIME. So what you said makes no sense whatsoever. Maybe he could've sung a little more live, for award shows, but not entire setlists, since in the later years (HIStory tour and MSG especially) Lupus was a far bigger problem for him than it had been during the Thriller and Bad eras. Lupus causes lung inflammation which leads to shortness of breath. That in itself (not even counting the other issues it can cause) is a very good reason why singing every song live was out of the question for MJ. Realistically, suffering from Lupus meant he shouldn't really have been touring at all. He was fortunately very fit and athletic as a younger man so it never became a big problem for him until later in life.

I told you i'm done arguing..this is the UNPOPULAR OPINIONS thread and we can agree to disagree..My opinion still stands..now KEEP IT MOVING!!

Let me just say this, please stop trying to shove Beyonce down our throats, it's not going to happen. Beyonce live is no where near the calibre of MJ live, on his worst day, lip synching and standing still. If you think otherwise, feel free to do so. We all have a right to our own opinions. But no matter how many times you say it, it won't change reality for us.
Mj carousel is not hating on Beyonce because she thinks Neo soul is the only good music (where did she post that), I think she is reacting because she, and frankly I am as well, sick of hearing about these new and/or obviously less qualified individuals being hailed as the next MJ. It really is insulting to MJ. It reflects the lack experience in regards to what music is. I mean Bey may be one of the best out there now, but she is by no means one of the best.

Mj carousel gave a list of people to look up to learn about dance and performing. In all honesty, did you even look at them? And this is not to be condescending to you, but I think you might get a more rounded view if you investigate further. No one from the list of people she gave was Neo Soul. But they were all renowned dancers in their time and ours.

Education is our friend. One of the best things about a board that features people from all around the world and all walks of life, is exposure to ideas, and music, and schools of though that we would never have been able to know about if we only remained in our known environments.

I'm just saying.

But anyway, I think I just read a few posts up that Stacey said cool it with the Beyonce vs MJ thing. So I am going to now do as she asks.

Well said.

People like that feel they have all the answers and the exposure because there use to seeing the same thing all the time and you cant tell them different because they DONT know of anything differently.

There is never anything wrong with broadening the mind with anything it doesnt even have to be music or dance. But in relation to music its always good to know other types of music, other genres, other forms of dance BESIDES what is easily presented in the mainstream medium because when people limit themselves to only that they become ignorant and form a distorted view that is not accurate when it comes to music, dance, songwriting etc I wish some people werent so narrow minded and more open to new things. And Im so sick of people comparing Michael to medioce artists its very insulting to him and to his legacy.

Your highly intelligent, dont waste your time going back and forth with her... she wants to be ignorant of facts

Last edited:
Ok, thread reopened. But please keep it civil in here. Thanks!

Last edited:
I co-sign the above and supplement the whole of the Soulquarians as the greatest movement in r&b in the last twenty years.

dupsy said:
The grammy's are not that important nowadays ,they have divided it into so many genres and have increased the numbers of awards in each genre .for example they awarded just 23 grammy's in 1959 first grammy awards,in 1980 it had increased to 60 and last year they awarded over 110 awards.one cant compare the grammy's nowadays to the ones in the past.Every tom,dick and harry can win a grammy now and the saddest aspect is presently they award popularity over excellence.
There are four main awards in the grammy's:Album of the year,record of the year,song of the year and best new artist.Though beyonce have won 16 awards,she has only won one major award "song of the year for single ladies ' and she even shared the award with 3 other people because 4 of them were credited for songwriting.I dont see any big deal in her 16 awards but its good for marketing and publicity.THE BEATLES won just 7 grammys, does it mean she's better than them or even MJ with 14.

people dont care for the awards like they did in the past, that is why their ratings has been plummeting over the years.
And Michael have 19 GRAMMYS AS SOLO ARTIST!!!

Grammys of Michael AS SOLO ARTIST:

1. WON = 1980 "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" Best Male R&B Vocal Performance

2. WON = 1984 Thriller Album of the Year

3. WON = 1984 "Beat It" Record of the Year

4. WON = 1984 Thriller (with Quincy Jones) Producer of the Year

5. WON = 1984 "Billie Jean" Best R&B Song

6. WON = 1984 "Someone in the Dark" Best Recording for Children (Narration)

7. WON = 1984 "Thriller" Best Male Vocal Performance (Pop)

8. WON = 1984 "Billie Jean" Best Male Vocal Performance (R&B)

9. WON = 1984 "Beat It" Best Male Vocal Performance (Rock)

10. WON = 1985 The Making of Thriller Best Long Form Video

11. WON = 1986 "We Are the World" Record of the Year

12. WON = 1986 "We Are the World" (with Lionel Richie) Song of the Year

13. WON = 1986 "We Are the World" performed by USA for Africa (Michael & etc) Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal

14. WON = 1986 "We Are the World - The Video Event" performed by USA for Africa (Michael & etc) Best Music Video, Short Form

15. WON = 1988 "The Way You Make Me Feel" performed by Michael Jackson Best Performance Music Video

16. WON = 1989 "Leave Me Alone" Best Short Form Music Video

17. WON = 1993 Living Legend Award

18. WON = 1996 "Scream" Best Short Form Music Video

19. WON = 2010 Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award

PS. For those who still have doubts:

-The Grammy Award for Best Short Form Music Video has been awarded since 1984. A similar award for Best Long Form Music Video has also been awarded since 1984. In 1988 and 1989 the award criteria were changed and the video awards were presented for Best Concept Music Video and Best Performance Music Video. In 1990 the awards were returned to the original format. For videos winning the award, the performer(s), director(s), and producer(s) all receive Grammys.

-The Record of the Year is one of the four most prestigious Grammy Awards presented annually. It has been awarded since 1959. The honorees through its history have been:

1959-1965: Artist only.
1966-1998: Artist and producer.
1999-present: Artist, producer, and engineer and/or mixer

---------||---------------

But yeah, the Grammys have lost the shame long ago, in 2002 Michael was competing in the category Best Male Pop Vocal Performance for You Rock My World and guess who won: James Taylor for "Do not Let Me Be Lonely Tonight

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_received_by_Michael_Jackson#Grammy_Awards

Last edited:

-The Grammy Award for Best Short Form Music Video has been awarded since 1984. A similar award for Best Long Form Music Video has also been awarded since 1984. In 1988 and 1989 the award criteria were changed and the video awards were presented for Best Concept Music Video and Best Performance Music Video. In 1990 the awards were returned to the original format. For videos winning the award, the performer(s), director(s), and producer(s) all receive Grammys.

-The Record of the Year is one of the four most prestigious Grammy Awards presented annually. It has been awarded since 1959. The honorees through its history have been:

But yeah, the Grammys have lost the shame long ago, in 2002 Michael was competing in the category Best Male Pop Vocal Performance for You Rock My World and guess who won: James Taylor for "Do not Let Me Be Lonely Tonight

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_received_by_Michael_Jackson#Grammy_Awards
The number of grammys an artist wins don't matter..it's the kind of Grammy they win..Beyonce winning 16 Grammys doesn't really mean anything because she has only won one important award out of the 16..which is Song of the Year for Single Ladies..The rest of her awards are basically in the R&B field, which she has no competition in..There are people who have less Grammys than her, who have won more prestigious awards than she has (Lauryn Hill, Amy Winehouse, Alicia Keys, Dixie Chicks, Norah Jones,etc..) and they won them all in the same night, where it has took Beyonce forever to finally get a general field win..MJ has won 4 Important awards (Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Album of the Year, Producer of the Year), the latter in the same night all at the tender age of 24..plus having songs and albums inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame, recieving the Grammy Legend Award, and winning the Lifetime Achievement Award..Sure MJ has 19 Grammys, but the point is that he has won most of the prestigious Grammys (except Best New Artist)..So the number of Grammys that you win is very overrated..and the kind of Grammy you win is Underrated imo..

Quincy Jones has won more than U2.

Quincy is a very talented producer though. And he has worked a lot, he produced an album every 1-2 years in his heyday. I'd say he deserves his grammy's

This thread is going way off topic here. This isn't a 'who won more Grammys thread.'/

oops sorry!

on topic:
Not sure how unpopular this opinion is, but I believe Amy Lee is a *****

Sorry.the we are the world grammy's is not counted for michael
it was a group effort and was given to usa for africa[not michael alone]
he won 14 plus the lifetime achievement awards ,total grammys 15
really,I wouldnt have cared if he never won one grammy,to me he is the greatest.

Back