Thriller 40th Anniversary

A gentle reminder and word of caution on Thriller 4K. How it looks is not a problem. It's how it sounds that will draw the most complaints.

When I saw it in 2018 I noted that all of the audio appeared to have been recreated with the exception of spoken lines of dialogue. The song itself, the score and sound fx are all different from the original. The 2018 version (which I assume will be released next month) unfortunately makes several missteps that us diehards will know is wrong.

I get that the Estate and/or Landis' team were forced into recreating the audio. But there's simply no excuse for not matching it accurately, other than a lack of care.

They may have fixed it (pigs might fly) but my hope is that someone in the community will seek to restore the original audio track and sync it to the 4k version anyway.

The differences wouldn't take anything away from the stunning experience of seeing this in IMAX, but on streaming with repeat viewing, it might get ugly.
Oh wow. I do remember hearing at the time that there were issues in some theaters with the Atmos mix or equipment which caused it to sound weird. But you're saying that the mix in the way it is actually supposed to be heard is that different from the original too?

In that case I would hope they'd opt for the original mix or an upgrade thereof, over the mix created for the theater experience.

A good old horror movie looks best on an old VHS tape, it adds to the atmosphere. The better the quality the more fake it looks.
I disagree. Old movies can look very good in better quality. I watched some of the old Universal monster movies in 4K recently and they look amazing.

A gentle reminder and word of caution on Thriller 4K. How it looks is not a problem. It's how it sounds that will draw the most complaints.

When I saw it in 2018 I noted that all of the audio appeared to have been recreated with the exception of spoken lines of dialogue. The song itself, the score and sound fx are all different from the original. The 2018 version (which I assume will be released next month) unfortunately makes several missteps that us diehards will know is wrong.

I get that the Estate and/or Landis' team were forced into recreating the audio. But there's simply no excuse for not matching it accurately, other than a lack of care.

They may have fixed it (pigs might fly) but my hope is that someone in the community will seek to restore the original audio track and sync it to the 4k version anyway.

The differences wouldn't take anything away from the stunning experience of seeing this in IMAX, but on streaming with repeat viewing, it might get ugly.
I really hope the original audio is included when they release it on Blu-Ray.

Last edited:
Is this a real demo or something someone made with multitracks?
Michael is singing so soft here, I like it a lot.

I disagree. Old movies can look very good in better quality. I watched some of the old Universal monster movies in 4K recently and they look amazing.
Oh I agree on the universal horror films, they look awesome. I was more referring to grindhouse style B movies like return of the living dead, dead of night or children shouldn’t play with dead things.
I mean sometimes the make up and practical effects are not good enough and great image quality would expose that stuff. Imagine you can see the wires that move a monster, that would be detrimental lol

Here's the thing, when they were working on the remaster, i don't think they were able to relocate the original audio sources, including the original music edit for the video mix, instead they recreated the video edit using the master of the album version.

Last edited:
Oh I agree on the universal horror films, they look awesome. I was more referring to grindhouse style B movies like return of the living dead, dead of night or children shouldn’t play with dead things.
I mean sometimes the make up and practical effects are not good enough and great image quality would expose that stuff. Imagine you can see the wires that move a monster, that would be detrimental lol
I think those can look great too. I like how the original Dawn of the Dead looks on 4K Blu-Ray.

Here's the thing, when they were working on the remaster, i don't think they were able to relocate the original audio sources, including the original music edit for the video mix, instead they recreated the video edit using the master of the album version.
That honestly sucks that they were able to remaster the video, but not the audio source. What other MJ videos were they unable to locate?

I 99.9 % believe that it will just be an AI 4K upscale (Topaz Labs) And not a true 4k scans from the film reels.
Get outta here with your negativity please

Whenever they do that, they only upscale them to 1080p, they NEVER go as far as 4K using an SD source.

That honestly sucks that they were able to remaster the video, but not the audio source. What other MJ videos were they unable to locate?
Here's the thing i don't know why they weren't able to locate the original sound effects reel for the music video, most likely due to the estate's piss poor organization of Michael's stuff.
I'm unsure about other music videos, I only had insight into what was used for the Thriller remaster.
Personally Beat It is my favorite MJ music video so I pray they locate the original sound effects reel for that at least whenever they decide to remaster that!

Yeah I sadly doubt they have everything located to remaster every video. For whatever reason the archives weren't kept in check over the years.

I 99.9 % believe that it will just be an AI 4K upscale (Topaz Labs) And not a true 4k scans from the film reels.
If the rumor is true that there will be 4K music videos on streaming platforms, im sure the platforms have standards in regards to the quality of the videos that are to be put onto them, so im sure they wont be able to get away with some crappy upscale.

Last edited:
We can call the estate liars all we want, but I’m really curious what the truth is. I truly don’t think they’d release non-4K videos in 2022 unless they truly didn’t have access to the original negatives. I wonder where they went. Destroyed? Misplaced?

I wish MJ was more attentive.

I definitely doubt that they use artificial intelligence since it is a lot of negativism of many here

That's nothing we here at mjjc can't fix on the audio tip

Idk...John Landis was pretty keen on saying how they went back to the original negatives...there's only one correct way to do 4k & they should know by now we will call them out on it. Buts let's not be negative about it

Keep the fingers crossed that no DNR's applied.
This. They shouldn't remove the film grain because then they remove details too. Also I hope they don't change the aspect ratios. Thriller will probably be widescreen because it was shown in a movie theaters.

I wonder if there is a widescreen version of Ghosts? It was shown in theaters in 1997.

Last edited:
We can call the estate liars all we want, but I’m really curious what the truth is. I truly don’t think they’d release non-4K videos in 2022 unless they truly didn’t have access to the original negatives. I wonder where they went. Destroyed? Misplaced?

I wish that the police raid’s weren’t so intentionally destructive to the point MJs daily possessions and storage weren’t totally destroyed.

They DEFINITELY have all the original reels/master tapes for the footage, but some of the additional things like sound effects reels and stuff like that could've gotten misplaced

You know what Michael didn't intend to DIE! So he didn't think that he needed to finish things , keep everything immaculate. He thought he would be around for years and years! So did we! Gone to soon.
But death is inevitable, and when you’re a figure as prominent and culturally important as he is, a lack of organization is self-destructive.

People should stop worrying, eventually we will get to hear other music, life is long. We always want more and more lets just stay realistic.
So he was not tidy, so what it was his life and his stuff, can we really blame him for that? In his head he must have been a mess, I would be if I was in his shoes. It's a miracle he kept going with making music and his humanitarian work. I would have lost all faith in mankind. He was incredibly courageous and forgiving.

People should stop worrying, eventually we will get to hear other music, life is long. We always want more and more lets just stay realistic.
So he was not tidy, so what it was his life and his stuff, can we really blame him for that? In his head he must have been a mess, I would be if I was in his shoes. It's a miracle he kept going with making music and his humanitarian work. I would have lost all faith in mankind. He was incredibly courageous and forgiving.
Amen to that.

We can acknowledge the man’s remarkable talent and heart while also faulting him for his mistakes. His affairs were in almost comic disarray, and because of that, who knows how much material is permanently lost? As a public figure, he should’ve done better. That isn’t diminishing him; it’s just the reality of his actions.

We can acknowledge the man’s remarkable talent and heart while also faulting him for his mistakes. His affairs were in almost comic disarray, and because of that, who knows how much material is permanently lost? As a public figure, he should’ve done better. That isn’t diminishing him; it’s just the reality of his actions.
It's weird because he had to of went through the archives for Private Home Movies. Maybe he had some decent record keeping before the raids happened and after MJ just didnt care anymore.

It's weird because he had to of went through the archives for Private Home Movies. Maybe he had some decent record keeping before the raids happened and after MJ just didnt care anymore.
I don’t think so, sadly. Brad Sundberg said that anyone who gave MJ anything important might as well have chucked it into the void, because they’re never seeing it again, so there’s a reputation at play.

Back