The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

81SegRX4R8L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Alle vier Staffeln!!

I started watching Sliding Doors last night (or really, this morning. At 3 AM). I fell asleep about half an hour into it, though; not because it’s bad, but because of my tiredness. I especially love Hannah in the bits I’ve seen thus far (but that’s really no surprise since I enjoy his work pretty much unconditionally). And before I dozed off, I managed to catch that line of his! However, it turns out that it’s not really his, but Monty Python’s.

James: Cheer up. Remember what the Monty Python boys say.
Helen: “Always look on the bright side of life”?
James: No, “Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.”
Turns out that quote has a lot of history.
I didn't really remember or understand the Monty Python's Flying Circus part of the joke. It was interesting to learn about it. Turns out that phrase has been quoted a lot of places.

And this phrase is heard more than once in the movie)))) this is a special moment.

"Mask of life, feelin' insane"
Depression. That is, at least to me, the feeling and NOT feeling of depression. That whole song and video. It is still hard to watch but also consoling, because it shows there are many dealing with this and I just LOVE the rain sequence. Everyone hates it, but to the depressed - it makes them feel SOMETHING, and connects them, although they feel alone. Michael is showing that you are not alone in this, although you are. It also shows hope, the rain is a very good thing here :)

That is just my interpretation. I think he helped/helps a lot of people with this song and short film.

But only the first movie. It has an awesome atmosphere, different from the other movies (I'm so sorry they changed the director) and love the whole soundtrack 😍😍😍😍
The first one I saw was New Moon so that's my fave. Then I saw Eclipse. Then I saw the first one and wasn't so keen bc the production values are lower - bc of it being an indie film. You need the first film to set the story up but it doesn't really land for me. Everything goes up a level, imo, with the 2nd film.

One of my fave scenes - Jake and Paul shapeshift and then fight like crazy

"I guess the wolf's outta the bag!" :)

2m 11s

The first one I saw was New Moon so that's my fave. Then I saw Eclipse. Then I saw the first one and wasn't so keen bc the production values are lower - bc of it being an indie film.
I guess that's what I like, that kind of atmosphere.
You need the first film to set the story up but it doesn't really land for me. Everything goes up a level, imo, with the 2nd film.
Interesting. I got stuck on the first one and watched it several times, but the others only once each and they didn't hook me.
One of my fave scenes - Jake and Paul shapeshift and then fight like crazy

"I guess the wolf's outta the bag!" :)

2m 11s

I liked Jacob's jump shot the most. 😍😍😍

If you get an hour and a half of free time, you can watch the birds and squirrels have a treat. 🤣🤣🤣

I watched the beginning))))) cute.

I guess that's what I like, that kind of atmosphere.
I get it. Indie films can be really cool. I think the main problem I had was the colours. They seemed so flat to me. Everything seemed weirdly grey. Edward's sparkly skin didn't work so well, imo. In the second film it was much prettier. It was lots of little things that didn't quite add up for me. But a lot of it was just that I saw the 2nd film first. I guess I imprinted on it, lol.

Also, Jacob's hair looks crap in the first film. They did a better job of it after that. :D

Interesting. I got stuck on the first one and watched it several times, but the others only once each and they didn't hook me.
The thing for me is, I'm not mad keen on books being adapted for film. I'm always very picky!

I liked Jacob's jump shot the most. 😍😍😍
Yeah, it's fab.

"Did you see him phase on the fly?"

"Mask of life, feelin' insane"
Still trying to figure out the meaning of "Mask of Life". Does it mean portraying life but not feeling like you're really living it? Is it when you pretend that everything is as usual, doing the usual things, but in reality you are lost in your soul?

I get it. Indie films can be really cool. I think the main problem I had was the colours. They seemed so flat to me. Everything seemed weirdly grey. Edward's sparkly skin didn't work so well, imo. In the second film it was much prettier. It was lots of little things that didn't quite add up for me. But a lot of it was just that I saw the 2nd film first. I guess I imprinted on it, lol.

Also, Jacob's hair looks crap in the first film. They did a better job of it after that. :D

The thing for me is, I'm not mad keen on books being adapted for film. I'm always very picky!
Usually I don't really like such bleakness and lack of bright colors in a movie, but here was an exception. Maybe it was the music, it hooked me probably more than the movie. 😅😅😅😅 I remember back then I downloaded almost all the songs to my playlist))))).

Yeah, it's fab.

"Did you see him phase on the fly?"
Yeah, that transformation was impressive!

If you get an hour and a half of free time, you can watch the birds and squirrels have a treat. 🤣🤣🤣

I watched the beginning))))) cute.
When I was little we didn´t have a real supermarket in my area, so there was a local farmer (?) driving through the village with a van selling milk, bread, etc. So when he came, he rang a bell and we got out to buy. Funny, but this bird food service reminds me of that lol.

I love the flapping sounds of the wings!!!

Still trying to figure out the meaning of "Mask of Life". Does it mean portraying life but not feeling like you're really living it? Is it when you pretend that everything is as usual, doing the usual things, but in reality you are lost in your soul?
Yes, that´s how I see it as well. And maybe experiencing that everything is unreal to you, like behind a milky glass.

Turns out that quote has a lot of history.
I didn't really remember or understand the Monty Python's Flying Circus part of the joke. It was interesting to learn about it. Turns out that phrase has been quoted a lot of places.

And this phrase is heard more than once in the movie)))) this is a special moment.
Apparently it has become an internet meme, too.

The Spanish Inquisition (Monty Python)

Yes, that´s how I see it as well. And maybe experiencing that everything is unreal to you, like behind a milky glass.
Follow-up question, then… is he feeling insane despite the mask, or because of it? Or is it, perhaps, completely unrelated?

Funny thing, I’ve never really thought much about “mask of life” before. I'm not sure how to interpret it. It’s a powerful phrase, that much I know.

Back