The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

schleifen = 1. sanding (a piece of wood, for example); 2. dragging sth behind you
schleudern= 1. spinning/to spin, 2. to skid (car on ice for example)
Isn’t Schleifer = Swedish ‘kvarn’?

shopping

Peppar- och (respektive) saltkvarn.

lerkaka-kvarnar.jpg

Väderkvarn.

“den som kommer först till qvarnen, får först malet” (1880), from Sachsenspiegel (1220–1235): “Die ok irst to der molen kumt, die sal erst malen.” (‘He who comes to the mill first shall grind first.’)

What would you call these three adaptations? )))
I’m useless when it comes to anything related to kitchen, but isn’t the first one a ‘mixerstav’? (“mixing stick”?)

And just maybe, was there a glimpse of a ‘kvarn’ in there, too?

2543475-origpic-1656c9.jpg

Mixerstav.

zassenhaus-elektrisk-saltkvaern-z033069-3178-1.jpg

(Elektrisk) saltkvarn.

illustration-pratkvarn-455px.jpg

Pratkvarn.

I’m useless when it comes to anything related to kitchen, but isn’t the first one a ‘mixerstav’? (“mixing stick”?)

And just maybe, was there a glimpse of a ‘kvarn’ in there, too?

2543475-origpic-1656c9.jpg

Mixerstav.
Okay, so that's the name.
There's no mill.
zassenhaus-elektrisk-saltkvaern-z033069-3178-1.jpg

(Elektrisk) saltkvarn.

illustration-pratkvarn-455px.jpg

Pratkvarn.
That's unexpected.) Sometimes silence is gold.

Isn’t Schleifer = Swedish ‘kvarn’?

shopping

Peppar- och (respektive) saltkvarn.

Pfeffermühle, Salzmühle
mahlen = to grind
lerkaka-kvarnar.jpg

Väderkvarn.

“den som kommer först till qvarnen, får först malet” (1880), from Sachsenspiegel (1220–1235): “Die ok irst to der molen kumt, die sal erst malen.” (‘He who comes to the mill first shall grind first.’)
😃 Wer zuerst kommt, mahlt zuerst!

Mühle = mill

I am a bit confused now or mixed up lol. Gotta make a list of all the words pertaining to milling, grinding, etc

😅

@Agonum

Ik hev dat nich allet verstohn, wat du proten häs!

I am motivated rn to talk more Plattdeutsch, ha! I have an app to learn it/re-learn it, but there is so much going on rn

So .... :geek:

The verbs we talked about. In German:

schleifen = a) to grind (sharpen the knife before using), to sand (the the wooden table)
b) to drag something or someone along the floor (example: Linus von den Peanuts schleift seine Decke hinter sich her)

schneiden = to cut

schleudern = to skid (on an icy road), to hurl (a rock into the lake), to spin (Ich schleudere den Salat, die Waschmaschine schleudert die Wäsche)

mahlen = to grind, to mill (In German you "mahlen" the grain as well as coffee beans)
die Mühle = the mill (Getreidemühle, Pfeffermühle, Wassermühle, Kaffeemühle, ...)
die Tretmühle = tread mill

mischen, mixen = to mix

Last edited:

One day I am doing quite well understanding your Swedish posts and some days, like today lol, I only understand train station lolol.
Like my brain has a language glitch.

Snus = Schnupftabak?

proverb:
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof
= literally: All I understand is train station!
= meaning: I don´t understand a thing!

Mühle? (engl. mill)
Yes. But how about ›der molen‹ in »Die ok irst to der molen kumt, die sal erst malen«? I suppose this is Lower German, and it should also be noted that it is from the 13th Century.

Also, I’m surprised that linguistic sample does not have its proper noun given with initial capital letter. Is that a more modern thing, then? Or could it perhaps be, that I am in fact completely lost and don’t know the first thing of what I’m trying to say? You tell me!

Preach it, sister!

Yes. But how about ›der molen‹ in »Die ok irst to der molen kumt, die sal erst malen«? I suppose this is Lower German, and it should also be noted that it is from the 13th Century.

I am no expert on early German languages, but if I remember correctly the scentence translates:

Wer zuerst zu der Mühle kommt, der soll auch zuerst mahlen.
Who first arrives at the mill, shall therefore mill first. (The translation tries to stay close to the original wording, not very elegant)

Also, I’m surprised that linguistic sample does not have its proper noun given with initial capital letter. Is that a more modern thing, then? Or could it perhaps be, that I am in fact completely lost and don’t know the first thing of what I’m trying to say? You tell me!

Yes! Also, older versions of German don´t have a standardized grammar, like we have today. There were variations.
Preach it, sister!
I want to respond with AMEN lol, but bear with me, my uni years are long gone .... 🤓😁

Back