The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

images

I found myself thinking about this again, today.
(this is from a thread from 2013)
Bravo!! What an honor.

I also have masses offered for Michael in the Catholic church, & I have to say at the beginning when the priest says "This Mass is offered for the repose of the soul of Michael Jackson," one get's a deep feeling of love, peace & thankfulness. I remember the first time I offered mass in 09 at the St. Francis Church in 34th St. in New York city, one priest asked me if it was "the Michael Jackson," and I said yes. Then he talked about Michael so lovingly about his talent and his kindness. His remarks really moved me at the time.

The last time I offered a mass was on March 23 and the next one is April 6th at a church near my house. I am so glad to see others are doing the same thing I have been doing also. Michael is greatly loved!

I have a feeling that fans from different religions are doing their own religious ceremonies for Michael too.

Pace your comment: Absolutely wonderful! His name being read at Mass...
That is the touching moment for me too, to hear his name read out & to know the whole mass and all the prayers are only for him.

@Agonum, do you have any homonyms in Swedish?

Plenty, plenty. It’s actually pretty shocking how many there are when you start to think about it.

Ett axplock (Blütenlese)​

• verb ‘råka’ /ˈroːˌka/ (accidently do something), and noun ‘råka’ /ˈroːˌka/ (rook, Corvus frugilegus).
  • verb ‘få’ /foə̯/ (receive, get), and adjective and pronoun ‘få’ /foə̯/ (few).
  • adverb and conjunction and pronoun ‘så’ /s̪oə̯/ (so, that, such), and noun ‘så’ /s̪oə̯/ (drinking tub for animals) and verb ‘så’ /s̪oə̯/ (sow).

We have plenty of homographs, too. Like adjective ‘tomt’ (indefinite neuter singular > ‘tom’) /tʊmt/ (empty) and noun ‘tomt’ /tɔmt/ (ground lot, garden).

There’s a very subtle difference in pronunciation between noun ‘tomten’ (def. neut. sing. > ‘tomte’) /ˈtɔmˌte/ (house gnome; also Santa), and noun ‘tomten’ (def. neut. sing. > ‘tomt,’ see previous paragraph) (ground lot, garden). “Det står en tomte på tomten” (There’s a house gnome [standing] in the garden) is a phrase that is practically impossible for immigrant Swedes to pronounce correctly.

In 1679 the Swedish scientist Olaus Rudbeck published “Atland,” a four-volume work in which he attempted to prove that Sweden was the original site of Atlantis and that all human languages were descended from Swedish. Though considered authoritative in his homeland, few outside of Sweden found Rudbeck’s arguments convincing.
via history.com​

😅

It's the discrepancy between the mouth movements and the dialogue. It just always looks so weird when it's been dubbed. I can't remember what your preference was but me? I'd go for subtitles any day.

EDIT - but it's lovely for me to hear so much German being spoken! :D

Last edited:
An example of partial voiceover, when the original speech is heard, I am very satisfied with this option))))
We have that, too, for old Disney stuff (“Kalle Ankas julafton”).

Back