The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

How come you celebrate Christmas in January? That’s interesting!
It's @hope 's story to tell but it's the Great Schism. Surely you've heard of that?
The case was like this))))
The Separation of the Catholic and Orthodox Churches, also the Great Schism, the Great Schism and the Great Schism[1] is a church schism that occurred in 1054, after which the unified Christian Church was finally divided into the Roman Catholic Church in the West, centered in Rome, and the Orthodox Church in the East, centered in Constantinople.

So in 1582 in Europe there was a new Gregorian calendar while in Russia continued to use Julian calendar.

In Russia, the Gregorian calendar was introduced in 1918, but the Church did not approve of this decision.

In 1923, on the initiative of the Patriarch of Constantinople, a meeting of the Orthodox Churches was held, at which it was decided to correct the Julian calendar. The Russian Orthodox Church due to historical circumstances could not take part in it. Having learned about the meeting in Constantinople, Patriarch Tikhon nevertheless issued a decree on the transition to the "New Julian" calendar. But this caused protests among the church people and the decree was canceled in less than a month
Therefore Christmas is celebrated in Russia on January 7 on Gregorian calendar that corresponds to December 25 on Julian calendar.

Sorry, I fumbled with the terminology. Complete clause!
There you go! Two separate but linked clauses is absolutely what the colon is for. But I have seen people claiming that a complete sentence can be placed after a colon. And it crops up in journalism and in novels all the time nowadays. That is now standard usage, it started years ago and has stuck.

I can't even ...

I must think beautiful thoughts. I must think about Michael. I will be calm. I will think about Michael.

artworks-000073129454-j0b1pj-t500x500.jpg

We have a nice family coffee table and then do presents. After that a nice family dinner. New Years Eve is very important here ... to the kids, especially. Christmas actally starts on this day.

We also have a 2. Weihnachtstag - second day of Christmas (26th)
Julafton (24), juldagen (25), annandag jul (26).

Can you exemplify this kind of use that upsets you? You’ve piqued my interest!
Don't know what to tell you now
It's never really what they tell you now
You oughta know what they tell you now
And not really what they tell you now
Don't know what to tell you now
It ain't really what they tell you now
Don't go where they tell you now
It ain't really what they tell you now
My only regret
Is that I never took the time to forget

your posts.

Yes, it’s tomorrow. I wish we had it like you, with it still being a church holiday. The monetary cog wheels, the stress of giving and getting, the forced happyness, the disgusting food and all the poor animals that’ll have to be slaughtered for the occasion… is all a bit too much. And the hysteria starts almost in October these days!

New Years Eve is the worst day of the year, in my book. I tend to have very dark thoughts around then.
I'd like to go to Europe for Christmas. I think it's a particularly beautiful time. And I love the holidays. The streets are beautifully decorated. Gifts can be given and received, time with loved ones, extra days off, watching traditional movies, and holiday food that evokes childhood memories))))) Truly, I know our New Year's salads are perplexing to people from other countries 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Although I understand that sometimes it's hard to keep the holiday spirit alive.

I'd like to go to Europe for Christmas. I think it's a particularly beautiful time. And I love the holidays. The streets are beautifully decorated. Gifts can be given and received, time with loved ones, extra days off, watching traditional movies, and holiday food that evokes childhood memories))))) Truly, I know our New Year's salads are perplexing to people from other countries
You eat salad at New Year? Is that to counteract all the heavy Christmas food that's been eaten over the holiday period?

Can anybody tell me
Why the yapping, it just won't stop?

@Agonum & why did you ask/question hope yesterday or .. dunno day before [ they all blend into one big f off day ] that she didntknow how to spell michael jackson in her lang age you really take the biscuit you do son
take a chill pill , go stuff your gob wit jelly bellys ,
member them ~?
@Fuzball don't get your snout in it , i know you wanna

whew fk
also I have the general on loop so my brain is high jacked currently

My only regret
Is that I never took the time to throw

the Christmas decorations

You will often see plenty of ‘o’ with diaeresis (= ö) in Turkish. So if you see those, there’s a good chance it’s either Turkish, German, or Swedish. There are but a handful more countries with it in its alphabet.
О! My first thought was that it was German or Swedish....
I didn't know those three languages had one thing in common. Thank you!

You eat salad at New Year? Is that to counteract all the heavy Christmas food that's been eaten over the holiday period?
Okay. Now I'm not going to surprise you very pleasantly, I apologize in advance))))) Well, we don't celebrate anything on December 25, it's a regular day for us....
Then these salads can not neutralize anything, so they are heavy, they are with mayonnaise 😅😅😅😅 For example, Olivier salad, it is made with boiled potatoes, sausage, boiled carrots, eggs, pickles, canned green peas and mayonnaise or sour cream. And there is also "Herring under a fur coat" 🤣🤣🤣🤣 it's salted herring under layers of boiled vegetables 😆😆😆😆😆
It's somehow stuck from Soviet times....

Can anybody tell me
Why the yapping, it just won't stop?

@Agonum & why did you ask/question hope yesterday or .. dunno day before [ they all blend into one big f off day ] that she didntknow how to spell michael jackson in her lang age you really take the biscuit you do son
take a chill pill , go stuff your gob wit jelly bellys ,
member them ~?
@Fuzball don't get your snout in it , i know you wanna
I did what? I think you’re confusing me with Fuzball.

Back