The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

The Chiltern Hills are quite modest as far as height goes. But it's lovely countryside around there.

Early-morning-Ivinghoe-Chris-Smith.jpg

The Cotswolds covers a big area and the countryside varies. The hills are not massive but there are some steep escarpments. The Cotswolds are classic 'chocolate box' English countryside.

1000_F_56527980_s7719BCzZ1oB6WyJ91E7yBKMPexVKZ32.jpg

Just had a quick look. Apparently they are identical except for this:

"The female has orange on the lower part of her beak, where as the male has a pure black beak."

Just had a quick look. Apparently they are identical except for this:

"The female has orange on the lower part of her beak, where as the male has a pure black beak."

ohhh I thought that the main body color was the difference. So guess our King is a male

It is. I don't know enough about them to know the male from the female. You can see them in parts of north London.
I don’t think you can actually tell the genders apart, at least not for the European (nominotypical) subspecies. The female has a red spot on the lower beak during mating season, but that’s more often than not hard to actually see.

I don’t think you can actually tell the genders apart, at least not for the European (nominotypical) subspecies. The female has a red spot on the lower beak during mating season, but that’s more often than not hard to actually see.
I just posted some RSPB info. I certainly wouldn't be able to tell the difference when they are in flight. One thing about them, when I saw them for real, I was surprised at how small they are. The photos I had seen had led me to believe they were much bigger.

I just posted some RSPB info. I certainly wouldn't be able to tell the difference when they are in flight. One thing about them, when I saw them for real, I was surprised at how small they are. The photos I had seen had led me to believe they were much bigger.
Yes, they’re tiny, but incredibly tough!

Back