The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

can't find the right kind of picture.

Waves-crashing-on-sea-wall-560x315.jpg
Far too aggressive for a puny skvalp! šŸ˜…

throat pain = Halsschmerzen

Schmerzen = pain = "pine" in Niederdeutsch (lower German)

voice chords = StimmbƤnder (literally)

@bluemoon7

One more for you. I couldn't resist. You might not love it. It's in English not Latin so for some people that kind of spoils it. For me, I actually prefer it and, anyway, the singing is exquisite and Roy Goodman's treble is the best I've ever heard. Imo! :)

FYI - in case you're not familiar with the story, Roy Goodman was playing rugby just before coming in to do the recording!

David Willcocks conducting. 1964. King's College, Cambridge. Allegri: Miserere

11m 10s

throat pain = Halsschmerzen

Schmerzen = pain = "pine" in Niederdeutsch (lower German)

voice chords = StimmbƤnder (literally)
HalssmƤrta we could say, but we say ā€˜halsont.ā€™

Pina! Great word. ā€˜Pineā€™ in Norweigan, too!

StƤmband. Incredible word.

@bluemoon7

One more for you. I couldn't resist. You might not love it. It's in English not Latin so for some people that kind of spoils it. For me, I actually prefer it and, anyway, the singing is exquisite and Roy Goodman's treble is the best I've ever heard. Imo! :)

FYI - in case you're not familiar with the story, Roy Goodman was playing rugby just before coming in to do the recording!

David Willcocks conducting. 1964. King's College, Cambridge. Allegri: Miserere

11m 10s

Oh, so treble is the countertenor part? I donĀ“t know this expression other than in treble clef *shame*

rugby: so he was warmed up perfectly lol!

Oh, so treble
It's the boy treble. The really high stuff. High C's? Listen to Roy Goodman at approx 9m 42s. That's the treble voice.

I'm not a singer! This is not my area of expertise! When adults sing this stuff (in other words, there are no children in the choir) a female soprano sings the part that was written for the boy treble.

is the countertenor part? I donĀ“t know this expression other than in treble clef *shame*

rugby: so he was warmed up perfectly lol!
And quite muddy, apparently!

Wow, that almost sound Norwegian to me! Is that your tongue?
Lower German = Niederdeutsch is the German that was spoken before the great second vowel shift came and the German as we speak it today evolved. So lower Geman is quite close to English in some aspects and also Dutch.
Niederdeutsch is still being spoken in Northern Germany. My grandparents spoke it, my parents can, me and my bro undestand but speak not very well. It is an own language, no dialect.

The grammar varies a lot due to the area/town and it is more spoken than written:

Ik kan wol en betken platt proten, mine Oma en Opa hev platt gesproken

(disclaimer: grammar may not be completely valid lol)

Spol
Stƶn
Kvid
Klirr
Drill
KlƤmt
GluttsnƤppa (ā€œglutt! glutt!ā€)
Pang
Brak
Popcorn!
SkƤll
Skall
Pling
Surr
Bubbel
Sorl

From Wikipedia:

Low Germanhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_German#cite_note-13 is a West Germanic language[12][13] spoken mainly in Northern Germany and the northeastern part of the Netherlands. The dialect of Plautdietsch is also spoken in the Russian Mennonite diaspora worldwide.

Low German is most closely related to Frisian and English, with which it forms the North Sea Germanic group of the West Germanic languages. Like Dutch, it has historically been spoken north of the Benrath and Uerdingen isoglosses, while forms of the High German language (of which Standard German is a standardized example) have historically been spoken south of those lines. Like Frisian, English, Dutch and the North Germanic languages, Low German has not undergone the High German consonant shift, as opposed to Standard High German, which is based on High German dialects. Low German evolved from Old Saxon (Old Low German), which is most closely related to Old Frisian and Old English (Anglo-Saxon).

The Low German dialects spoken in the Netherlands are mostly referred to as Low Saxon, those spoken in northwestern Germany (Lower Saxony, Westphalia, Schleswig-Holstein, Hamburg, Bremen, and Saxony-Anhalt west of the Elbe) as either Low German or Low Saxon, and those spoken in northeastern Germany (Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Brandenburg, and Saxony-Anhalt east of the Elbe) mostly as Low German, not being part of Low Saxon. This is because northwestern Germany and the northeastern Netherlands were the area of settlement of the Saxons (Old Saxony), while Low German spread to northeastern Germany through eastward migration of Low German speakers into areas with a Slavic-speaking population (Germania Slavica).

It has been estimated that Low German has approximately 1.6 million speakers in Germany, primarily Northern Germany,[14] and 2.15 million in the Netherlands.[15]

Lower German = Niederdeutsch is the German that was spoken before the great second vowel shift came and the German as we speak it today evolved. So lower Geman is quite close to English in some aspects and also Dutch.
Niederdeutsch is still being spoken in Northern Germany. My grandparents spoke it, my parents can, me and my bro undestand but speak not very well. It is an own language, no dialect.

The grammar varies a lot due to the area/town and it is more spoken than written:

Ik kan wol en betken platt proten, mine Oma en Opa hev platt gesproken

(disclaimer: grammar may not be completely valid lol)
Wow! Thatā€™s pretty similar to Swedish, too! Help me out with ā€™betken,ā€™ though? And maybe ā€˜plattā€™ as wellā€¦

Back