The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

Estate as usual. They like to mess up with songs - even with those ones that have finished mixes that were approved by MJ.
That's the one thing I can give Xscape, they bothered to include originals. I mean, I understand remixes help with relevancy to the younger crowd, especially. But where they really fumble imo is exactly what you said - tampering with MJ's original visions/mixes with complete disregard for them (not finding latest versions, etc.). It's like they see "MJA" on a track and think, "This doesn't represent Michael."

didn't Birchey use it in his remix?
No idea. I never really enjoyed his. Had too much counter rhythm for my liking.
I only heard it once, more than a year. I’m also not a guitar player, all I can remember is how funky it was and how it turned an “ok” track into a “great” track imo. They played the album version right after and it highlighted how much better BB & MP version was. Tbh trying to replicate it won’t do it justice, I wish it could leak or be released. It really had a classic David Williams sound. Just think of his solo on WBSS and that’s the closest comparison I can think of. I kind of zoned out during it because I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.
Welp, guess I don't need summer Jams, I can just imagine a MJ smash hit instead.

I only heard it once, more than a year. I’m also not a guitar player, all I can remember is how funky it was and how it turned an “ok” track into a “great” track imo. They played the album version right after and it highlighted how much better BB & MP version was. Tbh trying to replicate it won’t do it justice, I wish it could leak or be released. It really had a classic David Williams sound. Just think of his solo on WBSS and that’s the closest comparison I can think of. I kind of zoned out during it because I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.
Why wasnt this version released then?

This is wild. Bill Botrell on TDCAU being recorded at Hayvenhurst:

Yes. Early ideas.

I remember him singing the hook. DYKWYCA. The groove was the same.

May 9,10,15,16 1986.
That's a lot of time for Hayvenhurst.
Must've had a whole track and maybe test vocal on verse.
He responds to TDCAU but goes into DYKWYCA.

This confused me a little

Last edited:

I'm sure this has been asked before in this 365 page thread, but are the early versions of songs on this YouTube channel legit? The reason I ask is that they don't seem to check many boxes of the "fake leak" checklist. There are mixes of Black or White, Smooth Criminal, You are not Alone etc.

@BlackAnon

Maybe you can help with this, but regarding those lyrics you posted from "Remember The Time" (circa 1990)...

If I recall correctly, some of the Riley "producer demos" were cut in late '90, and then brought to MJ in early '91.

According to that photo, lyrics were written for that particular track by '90. Do you know if MJ had heard the demo of what would become "Remember" in '90 and had started writing lyrics, or was it a song MJ started separately, and then when Teddy came along in '91, the lyrics happened to fit well with one of his demos ?

This is another aside - my apologies - but I wondered about the Janet Velvet Rope interlude called 'Speaker Phone' in which Janet talks to Lisa Marie over the phone.

I've read people say that Michael is doing the low harmony of the opening "I get so lonely", and considering Lisa Marie's involvement, I don't think it's unlikely. To me, the most apparent that Michael sounds is the "lonely" phrasing (listen with headphones). Or maybe it's just Janet singing in a low register.

I'm sure this has been asked before in this 365 page thread, but are the early versions of songs on this YouTube channel legit? The reason I ask is that they don't seem to check many boxes of the "fake leak" checklist. There are mixes of Black or White, Smooth Criminal, You are not Alone etc.
Those come off as fake to me. That page seems to post altered album versions and title them as demos

@BlackAnon

Maybe you can help with this, but regarding those lyrics you posted from "Remember The Time" (circa 1990)...

If I recall correctly, some of the Riley "producer demos" were cut in late '90, and then brought to MJ in early '91.

According to that photo, lyrics were written for that particular track by '90. Do you know if MJ had heard the demo of what would become "Remember" in '90 and had started writing lyrics, or was it a song MJ started separately, and then when Teddy came along in '91, the lyrics happened to fit well with one of his demos ?
Teddy was already on board in 1990 and according to him, he already had the hook and chorus written when he presented it to Michael. Michael wrote the verses and Teddy revised them.
"I had the hook and I knew where it was going. I had this wild relationship at the time. The chorus and the hook is based exactly on how that relationship went down. So I brought that with me. I knew it was special."

Teddy was already on board in 1990 and according to him, he already had the hook and chorus written when he presented it to Michael. Michael wrote the verses and Teddy revised them.
"I had the hook and I knew where it was going. I had this wild relationship at the time. The chorus and the hook is based exactly on how that relationship went down. So I brought that with me. I knew it was special."
Wow, never knew that. I appreciate it ! :)

I mean yeah, Eddie could have took those lyrics and put them in the fake Monster. He had access to many songs like Xscape and GYWOOM, he put a GYWOOM ad-lib in the fake Monster too.
Yes Eddie was more involved than most people think and the fake tracks were most likely demo's for MJ

Side-note: 'Remember The Time' was also inspired by 'Rock with You' (Teddy mentioned this), and I think they could work hauntingly well as a mash-up!

This is wild. Bill Botrell on TDCAU being recorded at Hayvenhurst:

Yes. Early ideas.

I remember him singing the hook. DYKWYCA. The groove was the same.

May 9,10,15,16 1986.
That's a lot of time for Hayvenhurst.
Must've had a whole track and maybe test vocal on verse.
there's more

I think the songs that made the album were clear to M. as we went along. Those were more finished and I did careful mixes for Q to hear. I think only those went over to Westlake. M. was keeping his experiments to himself.

Back