The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

And to think the Estate has already released an album's worth of outtakes from that era and it still has SO much more content to offer (Make Or Break, Chicago 1945, Buffalo Bill, Tomboy, Changes, Turning Me Off, etc). It's one of the most fascinating periods in MJ's career that's for sure.
Turning me off .tomboy .changes .and even what you do to me no evidence if verses recorded maybe they are only mumbling

I hope everyone know sthat they are going to milk the released demos for all they are worth, take Al Capone for instance, we still havent heard the JB mix or the Roger Troutman mix. think about the elements left out of other, more important outtakes.

…it was a great time to be a fan mate. Bad 25 was a fantastic release.
Not that I don’t agree with you, but that take is almost a revision of how it played out when Bad25 was actually released.
The project was almost as hated on as the MICHAEL album.
And I see the same happening with the movie.. I don’t see ALL or even the biggest part of mjFam coming together and pushing & supporting a MJ project/release.. Unfortunately!!!

Last edited:
I hope everyone know sthat they are going to milk the released demos for all they are worth, take Al Capone for instance, we still havent heard the JB mix or the Roger Troutman mix. think about the elements left out of other, more important outtakes.
If Sony/Estate are going to reissue Bad in same way they've treated T40, then expect something like this:

1. Cheater
  2. Throwing Your Life Away
  3. Someone Put Your Hand Out
  4. Streetwalker (if we're lucky it'll be its finalized mix)
  5. APOM (1985 EO mix)
  6. Chicago 1945
  7. IJCSLY (solo mix)
  8. We Are Here To Change The World
  9. We Are The World (solo demo)
  10. Scared of the Moon
  11. Chicago 1945 (new Porcaro mix)
Basicly, the leaks and previously released stuff from TUC.

Not that I don’t agree with you, but that take is almost a revision of how it played out when Bad25 was actually released.
The project was almost as hated on as the MICHAEL album.
And I see the same happening with the movie.. I don’t see ALL or even the biggest part of mjFam coming together and pushing & supporting a MJ project/release.. Unfortunately!!!
Well people really hated that Afrojack Mix of Bad. The pitbull version especially. And the estate pushed that way more, and it was accordingly kinda awful lol. But I didn't Care. Because it was actually awesome to me haha.

What exactly do you mean? Keep in mind that the leaked Sundberg mix from October 1986 is just a WIP version.
So the way they progressed, they just downplayed that early polish. Interesting.

I'm talking about 1987 mix. Why wasn't that on a Bad special edition or TUC?

Last edited:
I don't hate the released version of Streetwalker, but I definitely enjoy the vibe of the demo more and that lq leak seems to be the best of both.

Definitely something I've been wanting to hear in HQ for a long time now.
I think at this point you're either in the Streetwalker or APOM camp lol. I like both, but definitely one more.

So far we've gotten about 4 songs released twice in 20 years... The Way You Love Me, This Is It, Best of Joy, and Behind The Mask. Maybe there's others.

So the way they progressed, they just downplayed that early polish. Interesting.

I'm talking about 1987 mix. Why wasn't that on a Bad special edition or TUC?
The officially released version is Bottrell's 1988 mix.

Well, I know for sure the version we hear on Bad Re-issue was done between Bad and Dangerous, while Michael was on tour.

What is heard on the Streetwalker release is my rough mix from Smoketree.
I played the horns, (samples) drums, bass, and guitars, and Jasun Martz came in to do the blues harp.
Here is why I'm shocked that some of my roughs have been released: There was a process that I learned well, that any MJ release went through: a process of vetting, re-thinking, replacing midi with live players, etc. It was a long process. "Streetwalker" never did that. Nor did "Come Together". I doubt I ever made an analog mix of Streetwalker, somebody just took it from the DAT.

Last edited:
Kinda. They've replaced live instruments with midi during late production stages.

Funny enough, the 1978 recording was already fully fleshed out - it has full vocals & orchestra.
When Janet made those comments about Michael writing classical music as early as the late 70s maybe she meant the likes of Little Susie?

She's reportedly mentioned a song called "Iowa" in an interview with Q magazine.

Btw, does any of you scans of that magazine? Should be issue 81 from 1993.
Don't know if these are quotes from the article itself. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Yes, the song is "Iowa", wrote in 1977 just before "The Wiz".
It was on a interview for the "Q" magazine in 1993.
She said: "He put all the songs he had written onto tape in the studio in our parents' house... These are the things he's written for orchestras, that are classical music-- like something from Bach or Beethoven."
IOWA
Piece of classical music written by Michael, as confirmed by his sister Janet, in an interview with Q
magazine in 1993 – remains unreleased.
‘He (Michael) has a song called Iowa, that he wrote – people will never hear that song,’ said Janet. ‘Just before he left to film The Wiz, he put all the songs he had written on to tape in the studio in our parents’ house. Not one of them has been heard and those were songs to cry for. These are the things that he’s written for orchestras, that are classical music – like something by Bach or Beethoven.’

So far we've gotten about 4 songs released twice in 20 years... The Way You Love Me, This Is It, Best of Joy, and Behind The Mask. Maybe there's others.
When & where was ‚This Is It’ released twice?

If you think of the two different Mixes, they came on the same release.
If that counts as two different releases, then how often for example ‚In The Closet‘ was released.

I agree with your other examples though!

I still find it interesting that Michasl thought the 1988 version of Streetwalkee was superior because it isn’t at all. The 1988 one is great domt get me wrong, but the vibe of the 87 feels so much more fitting to what Streetwalker is about, plus it doesn’t feel like an aggressive cousin to TWYMMF

I still find it interesting that Michasl thought the 1988 version of Streetwalkee was superior because it isn’t at all. The 1988 one is great domt get me wrong, but the vibe of the 87 feels so much more fitting to what Streetwalker is about, plus it doesn’t feel like an aggressive cousin to TWYMMF
Well Someone put your head out DEMO might be superior as well compared to the progressed version.

Depends what you're looking for. I think the final version is better but the uptempo feel of the earlier is nice.
Well Someone put your head out DEMO might be superior as well compared to the progressed version.
Streetwalker is uptempo both ways, one's just groovier. Ones more cowboy.

... I think sometime he worked just too long on certain Song ideas.

I mean how good was the simple piano/vocal demo of LNFSG compared to later released heavily produced songs. The pure Michael strikes through mainly from OTW to Bad in my opinion. The Little Susie Demo would be so interesting to hear. Maybe another example.

I still find it interesting that Michasl thought the 1988 version of Streetwalkee was superior because it isn’t at all.
There was also "Streetwalker" a true orphan, I made that track while MJ was on tour for Bad. Holed up at Smoketree for a couple weeks, played all the stuff, and my friend Jasun Martz came and played the blues harp solo, when I sent it in Michael said, "Billy that harmonica is ignorant!" (and not in a good way) I wrote the whole thing off until noticing a week ago that they released it! As is.

Back