The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

Time for another bingo round!

Is the fake song super fake?

cSC5MEL.png

I'd love more info on the Bad sessions and what songs were worked on and when others were discarded.

From what I've read the Bad sessions at Westlake lasted at least a year, that seems like a lot of time to work on just 12 songs. Surely some were at least worked? For instance the production on Fly Away feels more polished than most of the demo's we've heard from the sessions.
Hayvenhurst also has a studio and I'd assume the songs were recorded there before making their way to Westlake

How I see it is Michael recorded at Hayvenhurst while Quincy prepped the Westlake studio. Once everything was situated at Westlake, Michael brought his works in progress to see what has potential to be included on the album. They gathered to listen to the songs and what they felt wasn't strong enough was discarded until they narrowed down the 12 strongest

Michaels most creative period of music was between 1983-1986 everything he worked on at home during that era was amazing

Hayvenhurst also has a studio and I'd assume the songs were recorded there before making their way to Westlake

How I see it is Michael recorded at Hayvenhurst while Quincy prepped the Westlake studio. Once everything was situated at Westlake, Michael brought his works in progress to see what has potential to be included on the album. They gathered to listen to the songs and what they felt wasn't strong enough was discarded until they narrowed down the 12 strongest
Reasonable to assume sessions at Hayvenhurst continued concurrently with those at Westlake, as well, given MJ's prolific nature. Interesting to note is John Barnes stating the intention at Hayvenhurst was making records rather than mere demos. Leaves me curious as to how the initial versions compare to or evolved into the later ones.

Reasonable to assume sessions at Hayvenhurst continued concurrently with those at Westlake, as well, given MJ's prolific nature. Interesting to note is John Barnes stating the intention at Hayvenhurst was making records rather than mere demos. Leaves me curious as to how the initial versions compare to or evolved into the later ones.
Well we got the Speed Demon demo. If any indication, very similar to final song. Just more polished once recorded at Westlake.

Well we got the Speed Demon demo. If any indication, very similar to final song. Just more polished once recorded at Westlake.
Off topic but I would love to hear actual real demos of Liberian Girl , Bad ( the actual song) , a few from Dangerous like In The Closet , Remember the Time. I think being the perfectionist he was , there would be multiple demos of each song, like we found with Human Nature and Billie Jean.

Interesting to note is John Barnes stating the intention at Hayvenhurst was making records rather than mere demos. Leaves me curious as to how the initial versions compare to or evolved into the later ones.
According to Damien the ones he has heard at the usco weren't much different than their final versions.

Same with Little Susie or The Toy/BoJ.

Bruce Swedien stated that all songs recorded for HIStory were created from scratch. No reels from previous sessions were used except Earth Song.

We know there's a Dangerous version of TDCAU that's is according to Matt Forger identical to the version on History. We also know from Damien LS from late 70s is same as the released one. MTS was recorded from scratch within hours - I guess it's the same as the early 80s one.

Steve Porcaro said in late 90s that MJ has recorded C45 twice. (post Thriller & History?)

This raises the question whether there's a vocally complete pre-History version (mid 80s??) of "Changes"?🤔

This raises the question whether there's a vocally complete pre-History version (mid 80s??) of "Changes"?🤔
Probably not, theres only 2 versions of Changes, the one from 1985 and the one from 1995. Only difference as far as I can tell is that they added Andrae Crouch on the 1995 version and thats it.

Bruce Swedien stated that all songs recorded for HIStory were created from scratch. No reels from previous sessions were used except Earth Song.

Probably not, theres only 2 versions of Changes, the one from 1985 and the one from 1995. Only difference as far as I can tell is that they added Andrae Crouch on the 1995 version and thats it.
According to John Barnes, it was already incomplete in the 80s.
I'm surprised that MJ brought in a choir for a very incomplete song...

I'll be somewhat disappointed if the version the estate ends up releasing is the version from the Bad era because by the looks of it the Andrae Crouch choir seems to be the highlight of the song. Damien has given a lot of praises to that part specifically.

According to John Barnes, it was already incomplete in the 80s.
I'm surprised that MJ brought in a choir for a very incomplete song...

Michael was probably hoping to complete the song in 95

and that's what I adored about John.....he didn't allow Quincy the privilege of thinking the Hayvenhurst sessions were only demos, they were making records and great ones at that. Michael at the time was probably under the impression his contract with Quincy was up

Is there a Dangerous version of Don't Be Messin Round?
There is.
o0771051012490868131.png

Korgnex's mix of the song might have been made out of that version since he mentioned that the mix wasn't made out of the versions from the Thriller/Bad era.

There is.
o0771051012490868131.png

Korgnex's mix of the song might have been made out of that version since he mentioned that the mix wasn't made out of the versions from the Thriller/Bad era.
Yeah but what I find weird is how the vocals seem less refined in this so called “Dangerous” version.

Also Korgs mix is terrible

There is.
o0771051012490868131.png

At some point, wasn't there a clip on Korgnex's channel / a soundcloud years ago. It was from the Dangerous era & it sounded like Michael saying "Don't Messin" with echoes following him. It's been down for years but I haven't been able to find it ever again.

At some point, wasn't there a clip on Korgnex's channel / a soundcloud years ago. It was from the Dangerous era & it sounded like Michael saying "Don't Messin" with echoes following him. It's been down for years but I haven't been able to find it ever again.
At this point i wonder if someone has all the versions of Don't Be Messin Round

Also Korgs mix is terrible
I wish he'd upload those songs as is instead of making those unnecessary mixes that no one asks for. It'd be great if he uploaded the 2008 demo of Best Of Joy instead of working himself up with a remix that he can't finish, fans deserve hear MJ's last completed song just the way he left it.

Do you mean this one? It doesn't really sound like the one Korg has posted. It's probably a different version.

Back