The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

The estate had so many songs in hand for the Michael album - and I'm sure they had more that we don't know of since this is the first time we're ever hearing about If You Don't Love Me's inclusion - that it just makes me question more and more why instead of going for a few of the dozens of real songs they had available, they decided to go with 3 fake songs and thought they could fool everyone into thinking that it wasn't an impersonator singing them even though it obviously was, and on top of that how no one over Sony tried to oppose to those 3 tracks being released. Like, this is a level of idiocy that irks me lol.

The Faking Michael podcast can't come out soon enough because at the end of it all this is a story that fascinates me and I really want to know how a fraud of this scale came to be.
The estate/Sony were not aware that the songs were illegitimate, that is why. Some people had raised suspicions about the songs but they were obviously overruled and released anyway.

Did anyone ever manage to archive the alleged snippet of "Turning Me Off" that floated around ? I believe it was mentioned on TheMJCast.
I've wondered this as well but it is possible that they were referring to some fake snippets in 2020 that were random MJ adlibs plastered over the instrumental of Take On Me lol.

Based on the 1993 deposition, we can infer that Rolling the Dice was a home demo that never left Hayvenhurst, like several tracks from Prince’s “Piano and a Microphone 1983” (i.e. Cold Coffee and Cocaine). If this is the case, it’s likely that the reason it was left off of Thriller 40 was because it wasn’t up to the vocal par that the Estate requires to release a song, and not Quincy’s rejection, as Quincy would’ve had no say on it. All of the home demos are very rough scratch vocals, laying the groundwork. The reason we have the home demos we have is because they are from songs Michael either released or worked on in an actual studio (Behind the Mask). Something that never made it to a studio probably isn’t going to be released.
We've gotten multiple songs that never made it to a studio. What a Lovely Way To Go is hilariously unfinished.

Based on the 1993 deposition, we can infer that Rolling the Dice was a home demo that never left Hayvenhurst, like several tracks from Prince’s “Piano and a Microphone 1983” (i.e. Cold Coffee and Cocaine). If this is the case, it’s likely that the reason it was left off of Thriller 40 was because it wasn’t up to the vocal par that the Estate requires to release a song, and not Quincy’s rejection, as Quincy would’ve had no say on it. All of the home demos are very rough scratch vocals, laying the groundwork. The reason we have the home demos we have is because they are from songs Michael either released or worked on in an actual studio (Behind the Mask). Something that never made it to a studio probably isn’t going to be released.
well, some of your so called "home demos":
  • I'm So Blue
  • Free
  • Price Of Fame
  • Al Capone
  • Do You Know Where Your Children Are

There are a couple of songs we recorded for the Bad album that we had to cut that are just sensational.”
- Frank DiLeo to RS magazine in early 2010

I'm pretty sure Frank meant songs that were worked at Westlake. From the engineers we know that only 12 songs were fully finished.

Price Of Fame and Crack Kills were worked on until early 1987 (prob Feb/Mar??). Fly Away, Someone Put Your Hand Out, Turning Me Off, Al Capone, Don't Be Messin' Around were worked on at least until late 1986. Maybe there're other songs that were still on the table in 1987 that haven't been mentioned by engineers yet?!?

@Fuzball I hope so mate. Bad era is my favourite era, Mike was just in the zone during that time.

I like listening to the evolution of Dangerous demo's, if you go from Work That Body/She Got It and work your way through to songs that almost made the record, you can hear them beginning to sound more polished/focused and they start have more flourishes of that Michael sound

I've wondered this as well but it is possible that they were referring to some fake snippets in 2020 that were random MJ adlibs plastered over the instrumental of Take On Me lol.
Thanks for the insight. I had no idea about that. Sounds akin to that Bee Gees track being passed off as "Tomboy". lmao.

The estate/Sony were not aware that the songs were illegitimate, that is why. Some people had raised suspicions about the songs but they were obviously overruled and released anyway.
I wonder if Teddy Riley could've changed their direction. But he remained silent.

There are a couple of songs we recorded for the Bad album that we had to cut that are just sensational.”

I'm pretty sure Frank meant songs that were worked at Westlake. From the engineers we know that only 12 songs were fully finished.

Price Of Fame and Crack Kills were worked on until early 1987 (prob Feb/Mar??). Fly Away, Someone Put Your Hand Out, Turning Me Off, Al Capone, Don't Be Messin' Around were worked on at least until late 1986. Maybe there're other songs that were still on the table in 1987 that haven't been mentioned by engineers yet?!?
What you do to me .tomboy .

Guys I have question about song adore you I saw the snippet MJ sung .did he sung verse or chords there is choir group sing ?

There are only so many songs Michael could have made

IIRC, he was also mentioned as really digging "Buffalo Bill", and although technically Victory era, perhaps he just lumped any solo post-Thriller tunes as being earmarked for Bad. Can't imagine these guys are as hung up on dates and such like us fans.

Ha ha. It's a demo. You get what you pay for.

Sometimes M. would run a song through many times while he formed the words, the sound of 'em, the vowels, the rhymes, the rhythm of the phrases.

There's a longer version of this. Like 15 minutes. It's got epic vocal moments - goose bumps.
I just threw the track together just for the purpose. I sat with guitar, M. experimented on the mic.
Fond memories of both of these.

Brad Sundberg played the long one at one of his things.
Took me by surprise cause I didn't have it! Kinda insulted. Took a couple years for him to finally send it to me.

I like the pre-Slash versions tho.
Whole nother vibe.

Are we sure these were worked on at Westlake? It's hard to pin what made it to Westlake as opposed to what stayed at Hayvenhurst

Are we sure these were worked on at Westlake? It's hard to pin what made it to Westlake as opposed to what stayed at Hayvenhurst
those titles were mentioned by engineers who worked at Westlake with Q and Bruce

those titles were mentioned by engineers who worked at Westlake with Q and Bruce
Reason why I’m asking is because with Michael’s team confirming Streetwalker as the only outtake from the album and everything else being discarded during pre production, were the songs actually worked on at Westlake or were they only previewed

Reason why I’m asking is because with Michael’s team confirming Streetwalker as the only outtake from the album and everything else being discarded during pre production, were the songs actually worked on at Westlake or were they only previewed
Streetwalker is the only unreleased song that was finalized in 1987.

The others were discarded at different WIP stages.

I'd love more info on the Bad sessions and what songs were worked on and when others were discarded.

From what I've read the Bad sessions at Westlake lasted at least a year, that seems like a lot of time to work on just 12 songs. Surely some were at least worked? For instance the production on Fly Away feels more polished than most of the demo's we've heard from the sessions.

Back