The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

There is a good chance 'Groove of Midnight' has finished vocals right, with Bruce Swedien there? (and Rod Temperton)
You would hope so, wouldn't you? Leaving aside the chit-chat about hair products, it's a proper working session. Both Bruce and Rod are giving Michael direction as to what to try out vocally. I can't properly hear what Bruce is saying but Rod is clearly giving Michael some options on how he might sing the next bit. So there has to be more, surely?

You would hope so, wouldn't you? Leaving aside the chit-chat about hair products, it's a proper working session. Both Bruce and Rod are giving Michael direction as to what to try out vocally. I can't properly hear what Bruce is saying but Rod is clearly giving Michael some options on how he might sing the next bit. So there has to be more, surely?
Iirc they looked for this demo for B25 but were unable to find it. A box of tapes including some sort of audio of it was sold on ebay a while back, though.

Screenshot-2017-09-06-13-39-42.png

Screenshot-2017-09-06-13-39-21.png

Iirc they looked for this demo for B25 but were unable to find it. A box of tapes including some sort of audio of it was sold on ebay a while back, though.
I think Korg has the tapes. He is a well-known MJ collector, after all.

As for the tapes the Estate were trying to find, they've either been overwritten with Siedah Garrett's vocals or have been transferred to Warner, with Mike's vocals kept as a "writer's demo" track.

Thanks Pentum!

That’s it, eh? Hopefully we will hear more eventually. Hard to keep track of everything I’ve heard/haven’t heard yet lol
And for some reason that small clip required a tag. A laughably bad one at that... That aside, Damien recently said that the line is probably the strongest and most coherent part of MJ's vocals. Nearly all the rest are mumbles.

And for some reason that small clip required a tag. A laughably bad one at that... That aside, Damien recently said that the line is probably the strongest and most coherent part of MJ's vocals. Nearly all the rest are mumbles.
Yes, I have accepted that most of the unheard unreleased demos are like that. Fine by me to be honest. I just want to hear stuff in CDQ full. Snippets are a damn curse to us fans. Songs used to leak in full right away back in the days

And yet the kids on YouTube think all these songs are fully finished, just waiting to be heard by their iPad aware ears. Just imagine thinking "I'm Still The King" is out there...

Damien said on Twitter that the version of “Changes” he heard at the US Copyright Office, which requests the most recent rendition of any submitted works, dates to September 1995… yet Joseph Vogel claims there are versions from the final Brad Buxer sessions of 2007/2008.

Damien said on Twitter that the version of “Changes” he heard at the US Copyright Office, which requests the most recent rendition of any submitted works, dates to September 1995… yet Joseph Vogel claims there are versions from the final Brad Buxer sessions of 2007/2008.
But Damien also said that the version of Adore You that he heard at the Copyright Office had no vocals except for a choir, which we now hear that MJ did in fact record some vocals for it. Maybe not all of the songs registered are the most up-to-date versions.

Not that I expect there to magically be versions that are fully releasable though, but now I think that there might be versions of some of those songs that are a bit more completed than the ones that are registered, even if it's just slightly.

And Joe Vogel has already commented on the progress of the song "Changes"? Otherwise, I'll ask him.

But Damien also said that the version of Adore You that he heard at the Copyright Office had no vocals except for a choir, which we now hear that MJ did in fact record some vocals for it. Maybe not all of the songs registered are the most up-to-date versions.

Not that I expect there to magically be versions that are fully releasable though, but now I think that there might be versions of some of those songs that are a bit more completed than the ones that are registered, even if it's just slightly.
Very true! I suppose the idea of more complete versions being out there isn’t all that surprising when you remember that the estate was responsible for turning everything in.
It is an interesting back and forth. I find Damien to be more reliable, personally.
I think, given their sources, Damien is the preferred source for anything Invincible onwards, whereas Joe is basically top-tier with Bad-era material.

Oh yes, now that you mention it, I knew this! But still, Bruce Swedien and Rod Temperton in the studio, I doubt they were still writing the lyrics, there must be more

Back