The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

"The Brazilian singer Tom Jobim, who worked with Quincy Jones, acknowledged having listened to the demo of Goin' To Rio and said he had arrangements of Brazilian music".

What's the source for that? Also, I wonder why the estate didn't put it on disc 2 of OTW 2016. Rights issues over the Quincy thing?
Going To Rio has always be an interesting one. Sounds like an upbeat song but no proof it was ever recorded. The Off The Wall era prob has very little left. Hope I'm wrong though.

yea, that's definitely the second finished track with LL.
hoping that we will get that one in the future, since I'm also a huge LL fan.

they did two songs, both complete vocally.

but knowing LL, chances are low that we get unreleased stuff where he contributed... he has loads of unreleased stuff himself which he keeps private (~30 unreleased songs with Dr.Dre).

I don't think WDYK was meant for Victory....that was known as a Thriller outtake even before Michael passed.
According to the Estate, it was.

I say "according" because I don't believe any of the background info they gave lol
Well Michael was a work_aholic,he always did put songs that he was working on aside for later use so that could be true,who do you know does sound like a Victory track tho

Going To Rio has always be an interesting one. Sounds like an upbeat song but no proof it was ever recorded. The Off The Wall era prob has very little left. Hope I'm wrong though.
I've been wanting to hear it since the title popped up on the net but unfortunately I doubt that day will ever come.

I don't even think it's in the hands of collectors but who knows. Maybe Korgnex knows more about it?

Well Michael was a work_aholic,he always did put songs that he was working on aside for later use so that could be true,who do you know does sound like a Victory track tho
It could very well have been, it's just that I don't trust the Estate since they claim The Toy was made for Thriller even though the song was shelved because of the album. And also they claim WALWTG was considered for Thriller but Matt Forger said it wasn't.

It could very well have been, it's just that I don't trust the Estate since they claim The Toy was made for Thriller even though the song was shelved because of the album. And also they claim WALWTG was considered for Thriller but Matt Forger said it wasn't.
I think What A lovely way to go was meant for one of his earlier albums but when it didn't make it,he reworked it for the Thriller album but it didn't make the cut so it remained unreleased,at least that's what I heard

I always took their claims that songs were “considered for Thriller” to mean that MJ started working on them again during that era, not that they were necessarily brought to Quincy/Westlake. Obviously that’s the Estate’s poor wording at play, but I think it’s wholly possible that “Who Do You Know” and “What a Lovely Way to Go” were brought up again at Hayvenhurst.

wondering if BTM was ever considered for Victory at some point
Unfortunately, “Behind The Mask” didn’t make the cut for the Thriller album and, although Michael worked on the track over the years, a finished version wasn’t released until the Michael album.

Is it true that Behind The Mask was left off Thriller because of a dispute in the songwriting credits?

The version we've heard doesn't sound strong enough for the album, I imagine the Westlake version is superior

I always took their claims that songs were “considered for Thriller” to mean that MJ started working on them again during that era, not that they were necessarily brought to Quincy/Westlake. Obviously that’s the Estate’s poor wording at play, but I think it’s wholly possible that “Who Do You Know” and “What a Lovely Way to Go” were brought up again at Hayvenhurst.
I know who do you know was because he reworked it for the Thriller album when it wasn't finished for the February release,he was still working on it

exactly....take what they say with a grain of salt

In the 93 deposition, he said he wrote a lot of songs for OTW and when they asked if he can think of any, he said a lot of the unreleased songs named were considered for the album but we don't know if they were fully recorded

Is it true that Behind The Mask was left off Thriller because of a dispute in the songwriting credits?

The version we've heard doesn't sound strong enough for the album, I imagine the Westlake version is superior
I suspect that the vocals from the Michael remix came from a Quincy/Westlake mix, which of course they weren’t permitted to release.

I suspect that the vocals from the Michael remix came from a Quincy/Westlake mix, which of course they weren’t permitted to release.
It’s the same vocal take as the demo, but they spliced some portions and added pitch correction to the 2010 mix.

It’s the same vocal take as the demo, but they spliced some portions and added pitch correction to the 2010 mix.
I dunno, the 2010 mix has different vocals and at least two additional verses. It’s possible they simply went with a different vocal mix, but I’d be more inclined to believe otherwise.

Btw, searching on the web I came across many old foreign forum threads reporting interviews with producers, managers and so on. One published on March 2007 I think is quite interesting:

"Raymone Bain, Michael Jackson's spokeswoman, has revealed the names of the producers working on the artist's new album. The three are Rodney Jerkins, a long-standing favourite of Jackson, Will.I.Am of the Black Eyed Peas (of the collaboration between the two, Rockol already reported on 9 October), and Neff-U. However, Bain, before releasing the names of the three producers, had stated: 'He hasn't decided if he's going to do a show in Vegas yet. He's been in the studio since November, intent on working on his music'.

What could he have been working on from November 2006 until March 2007? I wonder if at least one of the tracks has vocals in a fairly advanced state of completion.

I would love to get some clarifications from Neff-U, after Brad Buxer and Michael Prince he's the person who has worked with MJ the most in his final years, and after Brad left he became MJ's main producer. Why hasn't he been interviewed in the recent years?

His sessions with MJ has to be the most experimental MJ had ever been; he was making classical music (Lady Of Summer), hard rock music (D.I.E), at least 3 hip-hop songs, ballads (Water), he was working on demos that dated from 10-20 years ago at that time and there's plenty of more that isn't known. I would love for Neff-U to talk more about the experience he had with Michael and whether there's anything from his sessions that's more or less advanced.

MP mentioned Craze on The MJCast, he saw the file on his HDD while browsing for CGYWOOM. For some reason, I doubt MP just had an instrumental or a writer's demo of Craze laying around...

Craze is from Invincible? If it is then it's entirely possible it's a totally unfinished demo. MP worked on TUC and that's why he has stuff like that.

I saw some very cool footage of YMO playing the song in the studio, believe it's from a forthcoming documentary

Those are just alternate vocal takes that were on the Behind The Mask multitrack. For some reason, our incompetent estate chose to release a version of the Behind The Mask demo sourced from some random cassette. Same story for What A Lovely Way To Go, they obviously have the multitrack, but chose to release a version from a cassette.

N
Those are just alternate vocal takes that were on the Behind The Mask multitrack. For some reason, our incompetent estate chose to release a version of the Behind The Mask demo sourced from some random cassette. Same story for What A Lovely Way To Go, they obviously have the multitrack, but chose to release a version from a cassette.
Probably couldn't be bothered transferring it lol.

Back