So many reasons to release Bad Tour '89 L.A concert on DVD.

I have signed so mnay petitions in the last few years for this DVD and it never materialises! I would love to to have the bad tour. I would have thought that now would be a good time for them to get it out there.....

At Sams club, the BAD tour footage of songs is on DVD from the Japan show 1987.

Sony don't have anything, They dont have access to any of the footage other than whats already been cleared. Chances are rough copies of concerts are held in storage with the exception of a few concerts that may have been mixed specially.

I have been told that Nocturnes audio recordings were pretty bad too, check out the bad tour audio I have posted on my youtube, that comes from a far superior mix, made in only a couple of nights but by a professional with the perfect ear for sound.

As it stands, the cost of storing all this footage/audio and keeping it in good condition all these years might have been too much, also I dont think having them transferred to digital media would have been done for no apparent reason. This footage was only for Michael, it was not meant for release, he paid for it and he would have to pay for its upkeep and security. Sony have got hardly anything from him in all these years.

Chances are the estate cant even get copies. The best shot we got so far is pushing this pro bad tour audio from Wembley 1988, its 100% physical and we know it exists, and it captured the pure electricity of Michael, he was giving an extra 10% that night.

Soon a campaign is coming to get this audio released please be patient we will hear the magic :)

My Youtube: www.youtube.com/birchey3000

Well how did Sony and AEG get the footage for the original (press release) trailer for O2 50 concerts?

And how did they get the triumph tour footage for "The One" Documentary?

Also how did Michael get the footage to create the "Brace Yourself footage"?

The chances are that Michael's ATV company or the Estate has the footage.

Well how did Sony and AEG get the footage for the original (press release) trailer for O2 50 concerts?

The o2 Trailer contains clips of Bucharest which is on DVD, that footage was sold to HBO.

The One documentary had Michael as the producer, he allowed the footage, its from his personal Archive.

The Brace Yourself footage is mostly from LA 1989 which Michael had specially mixed for his viewing and for use on cleared trailers/specials like Brace Yourself, The One & also on a Soul Train awards montage in 1989.

Michael owns the footage, he paid for it and his documentary crew. Sony have got scraps, only things Michael have allowed them, do you not think they would have released it all by now. They can release it if they have it and they aint got it lol

The o2 Trailer contains clips of Bucharest which is on DVD, that footage was sold to HBO.

The One documentary had Michael as the producer, he allowed the footage, its from his personal Archive.

The Brace Yourself footage is mostly from LA 1989 which Michael had specially mixed for his viewing and for use on cleared trailers/specials like Brace Yourself, The One & also on a Soul Train awards montage in 1989.

Michael owns the footage, he paid for it and his documentary crew. Sony have got scraps, only things Michael have allowed them, do you not think they would have released it all by now. They can release it if they have it and they aint got it lol

Well the quality of the Triumph tour footage from "The One" was quite good and I'm sure the rest of that concert will be just as good.

As to the O2 trailer, I do remember a small bit of footage from the History Tour (The Gold Jacket and Trousers) and that looked pretty good as well.

If we can persuade Sony and/or the Estate that this will both make money and protect Michael's legacy then they should release some concert DVD's.

Please Vote http://legacyrecordings.uservoice.com/pages/6333-reissue-requests/
And remember that they won't put it in the accepted part of the site because they will most likely keep it top secret until its ready for release!

Pretty much every concert up until the 1993 allegations(1970-1993) was just about 100% live! With the exception of the History Mumbai concert(mostly live), The History tour was 40-60% lip-synced/mimed/back-tracked. It appears This Is It was going in the direction of pre-1993 accusations(songs mostly performed live). If only he hadn't died...Sigh!

Unlike many artists of today, Michael never mimed to hide behind lack of talent. I remember when Justin Timberlake lip-synced. He dropped his microphone and a torrent of boos emerged from the sea of spectators.

I think the Triumph Tour LA footage was planned for release. The US Copyright Office has it registered as "The Jacksons At The Forum" from September 26, 1981. Footage from that tape was used in The Jacksons Live! album commercial and in "The One"

it's most likely that the Estate/Michael's production company has the original tapes to the shows

Sony don't have anything, They dont have access to any of the footage other than whats already been cleared. Chances are rough copies of concerts are held in storage with the exception of a few concerts that may have been mixed specially.

I have been told that Nocturnes audio recordings were pretty bad too, check out the bad tour audio I have posted on my youtube, that comes from a far superior mix, made in only a couple of nights but by a professional with the perfect ear for sound.

As it stands, the cost of storing all this footage/audio and keeping it in good condition all these years might have been too much, also I dont think having them transferred to digital media would have been done for no apparent reason. This footage was only for Michael, it was not meant for release, he paid for it and he would have to pay for its upkeep and security. Sony have got hardly anything from him in all these years.

Chances are the estate cant even get copies. The best shot we got so far is pushing this pro bad tour audio from Wembley 1988, its 100% physical and we know it exists, and it captured the pure electricity of Michael, he was giving an extra 10% that night.

Soon a campaign is coming to get this audio released please be patient we will hear the magic :)

How is that possible? The estate and Michael's production company controls it all

With the exception of the History Mumbai concert(mostly live),

Huh? History Mumbai was live?

Ive watched the video for Scream and TDCAU from that concert, those two arent live. Was the rest of the show?

Birchey, you makes sense on a number of points, but i disagree with you on others. You are correct that records labels only control an artist's "records" and to a large degree their music video collection, even though the artist has some say on any commercial release. The record company also has great control over the artist or another third parties ability to commercially release vhs, dvd ect., of one of their signed artist because in all standard contracts these items are considered as competing "records" of sorts which the record company has no pull over and makes no profit from. remember the record company only owns the master audio recordings, whereas the publisher and writers are the owners of the "idea" i guess and give their consent for anyone, including the artist, to recreate from the original idea or concepts. The Making of Thriller was paid for and exclusively released by Michael, but to release the video on VHS had to be approved by his record label or they would have sued him. So mike's concert music is in and of itself another master copy thats is exclusively owned by michael, he at the time would have had to pay sony a nice share to release a Bad Tour back in the day, even though they didn't pay one dime towards it's production and I think this is the reason Michael Janet and Madonna have not released their early concerts on dvd. Now when michael and Janet got enough pull after a couple of successful records and renegotiated their contracts, they were then able push for the ability to release any of their concerts on dvd without the consent of the record company which is why Michael was able to release the Dangerous Tour (with sony paying him to do so) and Janet was able to release two of her later concerts without one mention of the record company in the credits.

Now in saying all that, Michael paid too much money to document those tours to leave with bad copies of any of the shows with regard to the video and audio. Michael has to pay the video studio all sorts of money to have camera persons travel with him around the world,,, and if "This Is It" behind the scene footage is any indication of the quality michael was looking for in this archived footage, then I can only assume that his early concert footage is in pristine condition because Michael was able to pay such a large bill for the footage more then than now. Each recording would have been saved, transcribed and summarized for easy retrieval and so if Michael had the need to release any of the footage it would be an easy process. And even through michael wanted to use the footage for his own viewing pleasure who, let along Michael Jackson, wants to watch footage that's in crappy condition. And knowing Michael he was always thinking about how something could be released or recreated even though the original goal was for personal viewing. So if the original material is bad how could he do anything with it. When it was determined through legal documents a large portion of his assets include his video archives, which i believe includes all his concert footage, and similar excellent quality footage from Michael Home Video. So i just can't believe that michael wouldn't demand this footage be created and maintained in excellent condition.

A video or lighting company that worked on the Victory tour had these stills on their website

0002.jpg

0004.jpg

0010.jpg

0011.jpg

0012.jpg

So a Victory Tour release could be possible too

Birchey, you makes sense on a number of points, but i disagree with you on others. You are correct that records labels only control an artist's "records" and to a large degree their music video collection, even though the artist has some say on any commercial release. The record company also has great control over the artist or another third parties ability to commercially release vhs, dvd ect., of one of their signed artist because in all standard contracts these items are considered as competing "records" of sorts which the record company has no pull over and makes no profit from. remember the record company only owns the master audio recordings, whereas the publisher and writers are the owners of the "idea" i guess and give their consent for anyone, including the artist, to recreate from the original idea or concepts. The Making of Thriller was paid for and exclusively released by Michael, but to release the video on VHS had to be approved by his record label or they would have sued him. So mike's concert music is in and of itself another master copy thats is exclusively owned by michael, he at the time would have had to pay sony a nice share to release a Bad Tour back in the day, even though they didn't pay one dime towards it's production and I think this is the reason Michael Janet and Madonna have not released their early concerts on dvd. Now when michael and Janet got enough pull after a couple of successful records and renegotiated their contracts, they were then able push for the ability to release any of their concerts on dvd without the consent of the record company which is why Michael was able to release the Dangerous Tour (with sony paying him to do so) and Janet was able to release two of her later concerts without one mention of the record company in the credits.

Now in saying all that, Michael paid too much money to document those tours to leave with bad copies of any of the shows with regard to the video and audio. Michael has to pay the video studio all sorts of money to have camera persons travel with him around the world,,, and if "This Is It" behind the scene footage is any indication of the quality michael was looking for in this archived footage, then I can only assume that his early concert footage is in pristine condition because Michael was able to pay such a large bill for the footage more then than now. Each recording would have been saved, transcribed and summarized for easy retrieval and so if Michael had the need to release any of the footage it would be an easy process. And even through michael wanted to use the footage for his own viewing pleasure who, let along Michael Jackson, wants to watch footage that's in crappy condition. And knowing Michael he was always thinking about how something could be released or recreated even though the original goal was for personal viewing. So if the original material is bad how could he do anything with it. When it was determined through legal documents a large portion of his assets include his video archives, which i believe includes all his concert footage, and similar excellent quality footage from Michael Home Video. So i just can't believe that michael wouldn't demand this footage be created and maintained in excellent condition.

The footage from Private Home Movies is clearly shot from an amateur view, Michaels documentary team, not for one second is it part of Nocturnes video productions, they were 2 different things completely so putting them in the same basket is not right.

Do you know the cost of producing and maintaining the audio/video of the tour? lets say each camera feed, each audio feed, then the documentary team, we are talking about 1000's of tapes. Let alone the audio which in itself was poorly recorded and also recorded on very fragile digital media. The maintaining or transferring of such material would cost a staggering amount, Michael couldn't even free the funds for a proper documentary team on This Is It! And where is this stuff registered? Or being held, why do we know so little. I think its because there is so little, and the amount of interest taken by people who worked with Michael at the time and also from the estate over these Master Wembley 1988 recordings just proves that.

Gotta go, well reply some more in a bit

The footage from Private Home Movies is clearly shot from an amateur view, Michaels documentary team, not for one second is it part of Nocturnes video productions, they were 2 different things completely so putting them in the same basket is not right.

Do you know the cost of producing and maintaining the audio/video of the tour? lets say each camera feed, each audio feed, then the documentary team, we are talking about 1000's of tapes. Let alone the audio which in itself was poorly recorded and also recorded on very fragile digital media. The maintaining or transferring of such material would cost a staggering amount, Michael couldn't even free the funds for a proper documentary team on This Is It! And where is this stuff registered? Or being held, why do we know so little. I think its because there is so little, and the amount of interest taken by people who worked with Michael at the time and also from the estate over these Master Wembley 1988 recordings just proves that.

Gotta go, well reply some more in a bit

Not to go tit-for-tat, just a discussion on my end. But we are talking about footage filmed when michael had a ton of money and money that increased over the years even after dangerous.Even still with "This Is It" the footage was good enough to produce 200 million dollars in two weeks, when according to some he didn't have enough in the budget to hire a full up video crew. not to mention the amount of money michael was making on each show during the victory, bad and dangerous tours were certainly enough to create his very own video library. Of course the Home Videos were filmed by a much smaller crew but if michael went to that length to save that footage what more would he have done for his concert footage. Of course we are both speculating here. But if we are going off Michael past history on things he has saved in excellent quality, then it is only reasonable to believe he'd do the same for concert footage. all those original demos that have been released were save because michael knew they could be released at some point. And even for the footage that was released to t.v. that footage was good, so it's hard to buy your theory that the footage was trashed and the audio was bad because we all have seen good footage. One last note, with advance technology, storage of all this material could be store in much smaller spaces, but thanks for the discussion. :clapping:

Why cant we simply put these questions about all these unknown anwers to the 2 main men who worked on the BAD TOUR - Quincy Jones and Frank Dileo

Surely they must know something in relevance to all this?

From what I heard was that if a BAD concert was going to be released it would be one of the London concerts at Wembley as that already has a lot of footage already done for it. It'd be easy to release.

From what I heard was that if a BAD concert was going to be released it would be one of the London concerts at Wembley as that already has a lot of footage already done for it. It'd be easy to release.

Stop getting me all excited and stuff,:clapping:,j/k

I am watching the live in Japan dvd right now it is amazing. I just love watching live footage. I hope the bad dvd does get released.

i got lost in translation...are we saying that sony doesnt have anything, its all in michaels estate, or its poorly recorded somewhere? i think the family would release something...they would want something to keep michaels memory going (plus, money for joe and jermaine...lol)

our best bet is probably finding some fans who have it! i think the underground trading circle have more footage than sony or anyone!

i got lost in translation...are we saying that sony doesnt have anything, its all in michaels estate, or its poorly recorded somewhere? i think the family would release something...they would want something to keep michaels memory going (plus, money for joe and jermaine...lol)

our best bet is probably finding some fans who have it! i think the underground trading circle have more footage than sony or anyone!

Sony don't have much, I cant say for sure but, what have they shown us??? Plus all the stuff belongs to Michael. Another thing I would like to dispell is most fans ideas of some magical golden archive somewhere with all his shows in alphabetical order, lol that ones funny, but some fans do think that.

And you are right most the stuff we got comes from fans or from people who worked with Michael in the past, The Estate has to start sifting through everything now to see what they can find!

Sony don't have much, I cant say for sure but, what have they shown us??? Plus all the stuff belongs to Michael. Another thing I would like to dispell is most fans ideas of some magical golden archive somewhere with all his shows in alphabetical order, lol that ones funny, but some fans do think that.

And you are right most the stuff we got comes from fans or from people who worked with Michael in the past, The Estate has to start sifting through everything now to see what they can find!

If that was true, then it would be a whole lot easier. I can understand and accept that, cause I know if a record company has everything they will do everything to release it.:( Especially during a time like this.

Birchey thanks for all the info. I am of Mj for past 22 years and God knows how I have wanted Bad tour from Wembley or the Brunei special one (not the History tour one). You mentioned something is in the works for Bad wembley concert how and where? Please point me to the post where you mentioned it or the thread.

Moreover, why does the wembley audio exists for sure? Have you heard any good quality clips? I got the 2 CD like 6-7 years ago but the audio was nothing batter than any other unauthorized versions. I keep hearing about these things but nothing ever happens (at least not before MJ's death).

Like in 2002 or so there were a fan in Isreal or Italy selling History concert rehersals for $900 I didn't had the money otherwise would have bought it and the only person I knew who ever had Brunei special concert was Remey Chambers sp?? (the cherographer) and I spoke with him in 2003 at MJ's birthday in LA. I clearly remember some Italian fans discussing with him about a VHS master tape from Brunei special concert. They wanted some insane $1000 for that (the Italian guys) so I couldn't do anything :(

My worst fear is that they (Sony) will release Munich 97 concert next and as someone else said it. I won't know wether to be happy or be sad.

Birchey thanks for all the info. I am of Mj for past 22 years and God knows how I have wanted Bad tour from Wembley or the Brunei special one (not the History tour one). You mentioned something is in the works for Bad wembley concert how and where? Please point me to the post where you mentioned it or the thread.

Moreover, why does the wembley audio exists for sure? Have you heard any good quality clips? I got the 2 CD like 6-7 years ago but the audio was nothing batter than any other unauthorized versions. I keep hearing about these things but nothing ever happens (at least not before MJ's death).

Like in 2002 or so there were a fan in Isreal or Italy selling History concert rehersals for $900 I didn't had the money otherwise would have bought it and the only person I knew who ever had Brunei special concert was Remey Chambers sp?? (the cherographer) and I spoke with him in 2003 at MJ's birthday in LA. I clearly remember some Italian fans discussing with him about a VHS master tape from Brunei special concert. They wanted some insane $1000 for that (the Italian guys) so I couldn't do anything :(

My worst fear is that they (Sony) will release Munich 97 concert next and as someone else said it. I won't know wether to be happy or be sad.

www.youtube.com/birchey3000 for the clips of wembley

Plus soon a special 10 minute promo of Wembley 88 pro audio clips, Mixed with some very rare video ;)

And I sent you a PM

Back