So many reasons to release Bad Tour '89 L.A concert on DVD.

So basically, the chances for a 88 Bad Tour DVD are slim to none, right? :(

So basically, the chances for a 88 Bad Tour DVD are slim to none, right? :(

But you have to remember that we actually don't know what The Estate and Sony have and how good the quality of that footage is. Its the same mystery that surrounds the "Unreleased Songs"!

I personally believe that The Estate want to preserve Michael's legacy and in time (after the release of the Opus book and the This Is It home video) they will revisit those concerts and try to release one. Also, Michael wanted the O2 50 concerts to show his children what he does best and eventually they will see his past concerts.

Just don't hold your breath because it will take a long time!

My worst fear is that they (Sony) will release Munich 97 concert next and as someone else said it. I won't know wether to be happy or be sad.

Just curious but why is it your worst fear?

Birchey is essentially pretty much right in what he says throughout this thread and I'll try to provide a little more factual information based on first-hand experience:

Paying top dollar to record an event does not neccesarily guarantee outstanding results - recording is as much an art as a science - that's why recordings are sometimes re-made many times over at different studios with different engineers & producers (all of whom might be considered world-class) but the results often differ hugely.

Yes, Mike had audio and video recording crews travelling with him throughout the Bad tour. However, when it came close to the date of the Simulcast broadcast for the 'Around the World', documentary detailing the Bad tour and showing concert footage from many different venues (and also the MTV special of that same time), Mike decided that the concert audio recorded thusfar was simply not good enough, (& having heard it I concur). Mike decided to use an outside recording facility to record the Wembley Bad shows and to 'replace' (as far as was appropriate and practically possible), the rejected concert audio in the documentary with the 'new' Wembley recordings.

In an ideal world, with the resources Mike had, it might reasonably be assumed that this would not have been necessary, but in reality that's what happened.

In an ideal world everything of even the slightest archival importance would be in its' proper place, documented and preserved in optimum conditions. But people are fallible, mistakes are made, stuff does go astray - I was recently talking to the manager of a band which sold tens of millions of records who was telling me how their record company lost, (and to this day never recovered) a set of multitrack masters - stuff like this does actually happen.

I'm not sure where you and Birchey get your "Facts" from, but lets see:

1. Youtube has better footage than Michael has?
2. Birchey's has the best audio available of Michael's Bad Tour?
3. Out of at least 100 shows the video and audio crew just couldn't get it right, so there are no good copies of the bad tour, and Michael didn't replace them?
4. There is better footage from the Victory that took place say 5-8 years earlier (the audio and video footage on the One DVD were both superb)?
5. the people michael paid to document the show didn't have enough sense and were incapable of writing Date, Venue on the footage and they just through the footage into a box and said here michael?
6. Michael paid this company thousands for bad quality video. Ok.
7. hugh hefner has a better video library than the king of pop? wow.

It would make more sense that Michael took the footage and dropped it into a lake of fire. Your sources appears to have given you bad "factual" information. Neither of you two have anything to verify what you are saying to be true. And i'm sure you all can't reveal your sources. :clapping:
And all this time we've been signing petitions and you have been sitting on this "factual" info all this time. Wow.

Last edited:
Just curious but why is it your worst fear?

well it has been mentioned above by many other people also. History munich is a great concert but first all most of us have seen it countless times in (near) perfect quality. I think I had a incredible quality video 9 years ago if not more. Secondly, for me at least not being live takes away ALOT. To me MJ pours his soul when he sings and if I am not hearing his live voice it ain't the same for me.

If you are dancer or have a keen eye you can see MJ's refinement was at best during History tour. stranger is moscow is perfect example of that but the energy of bad and dangerous was not there. True some nights he is on fire but as a whole I would rank History below Dangerous or Bad.

My personal favorite is Dangerous world tour (what I would do for Munich 92 or Wembley--Oh boy!) but we have seen the one from HBO Romania and that is one heck of a concert. So I am VERY happy for that even though I saw it first in 93-94 Lol!

But I can certainly understand for those people who say BAD 2nd leg is MJ's peak. There is something to it no doubt. Plus the fact that we do NOT have any good source for that concert leg. True, the BAD japan is out but while being an excellent concert it lacks Dirty Diana, TWYMMF, Smooth Criminal, and my personal best Another Part of Me.

So given all that I say BAD 2nd leg world tour is indeed the best choice for a fan based or mass release. I am split between LA and wembley but leaning towards the later be because of its legendary status. So video from LA and audio from Wembley if not both.

anyways... enough said... LOL!

P.S despite all of that its not like any of us will not buy the History Munich 97 if they release it. We just can't stop! hahaha its who we are so no mater what NOT buying it is OUT of the question :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you and Birchey get your "Facts" from, but lets see:

1. Youtube has better footage than Michael has?
2. Birchey's has the best audio available of Michael's Bad Tour?
3. Out of at least 100 shows the video and audio crew just couldn't get it right, so there are no good copies of the bad tour, and Michael didn't replace them?
4. There is better footage from the Victory that took place say 5-8 years earlier (the audio and video footage on the One DVD were both superb)?
5. the people michael paid to document the show didn't have enough sense and were incapable of writing Date, Venue on the footage and they just through the footage into a box and said here michael?
6. Michael paid this company thousands for bad quality video. Ok.
7. hugh hefner has a better video library than the king of pop? wow.

It would make more sense that Michael took the footage and dropped it into a lake of fire. Your sources appears to have given you bad "factual" information. Neither of you two have anything to verify what you are saying to be true. And i'm sure you all can't reveal your sources. :clapping:
And all this time we've been signing petitions and you have been sitting on this "factual" info all this time. Wow.

Sarcasm gets you no where, especially when you do not have the slightest clue and I mean the slightest clue,whats going on and you do not have a clue who Go Flying is and what he has done in the past, Including working for Michael (My lips are sealed) If I was you I wouldn't challenge someone with alot more FACT under there belt than yourself.

And when you say all this time we have been signing petitions, well those petitions just wont work. Like I said Sony don't got s**t!!!

Look I aint gonna answer each of you're little queries, we are very busy at the moment trying to do what Sony has never done and thats get The Bad Tour to the fans in some shape or form, be it the as you say "the best audio available of Michael's Bad Tour"

Sarcasm gets you no where, especially when you do not have the slightest clue and I mean the slightest clue,whats going on and you do not have a clue who Go Flying is and what he has done in the past, Including working for Michael (My lips are sealed) If I was you I wouldn't challenge someone with alot more FACT under there belt than yourself.

And when you say all this time we have been signing petitions, well those petitions just wont work. Like I said Sony don't got s**t!!!

Look I aint gonna answer each of you're little queries, we are very busy at the moment trying to do what Sony has never done and thats get The Bad Tour to the fans in some shape or form, be it the as you say "the best audio available of Michael's Bad Tour"

Honestly Birchey, no beef with you on my end. These are just questions i'm asking myself in response to your "facts". They don't add up. I can proclaim all day that the earth is flat and say a little birdie told me so but,,,, you get what im saying? At the very least Michael would have a good copy of the Japan show if anything. Nothing you're saying is going to convince me that Mike just trashed this stuff and no good copy exist. Doesn't fit what I learned and read about Michael. His music video collection has been preserved but not his concert footage. Just doesn't make since. But you can talk around the questions I've presented you all you want and say well so and so said... but you only appear to be avoiding the question. It does not add up. Again, please don't take this as me being a smart azz with you because it's not my intention. I don't even know you to even muster the energy to do that and i'm even a fan on Youtube (LOL). :punk: much love.

Honestly Birchey, no beef with you on my end. These are just questions i'm asking myself in response to your "facts". They don't add up. I can proclaim all day that the earth is flat and say a little birdie told me so but,,,, you get what im saying? At the very least Michael would have a good copy of the Japan show if anything. Nothing you're saying is going to convince me that Mike just trashed this stuff and no good copy exist. Doesn't fit what I learned and read about Michael. His music video collection has been preserved but not his concert footage. Just doesn't make since. But you can talk around the questions I've presented you all you want and say well so and so said... but you only appear to be avoiding the question. It does not add up. Again, please don't take this as me being a smart azz with you because it's not my intention. I don't even know you to even muster the energy to do that and i'm even a fan on Youtube (LOL). :punk: much love.

I am not trying to convince anyone, its just I dont think Michael had every show he did in amazing quality like so many people think. Heres very important points which pretty much prove that

1. Michael had the last concert in LA specially filmed and mixed professionally, this is the only concert that we really see any official Bad tour footage from either by MJ or Sony, that in itself speaks volumes

2. Michael hired an outside recording company to record the early Wembley shows in which the audio for his APOM video and also the later dubbed audio from Bad Tour Around The World special (Replacing Nocturnes audio) was taken.

To be honest I dont actually think Michael cared for any of the Bad tour shows, minus a couple that were specially filmed/recorded. I mean he didn't release much live stuff, never really talked about it, I just think he did the shows for the people in the crowd.

And its seems funny how the only Official clips we get released are from the "specially filmed concerts, Triumph Tour footage on "The One", Yokohama 1987, Los angeles 1989, Bucharest 92, Munich 97. All were filmed for commercial use!

And talking about quality, One clip that was used on the video "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin 2008" with Akon, of Tokyo 1987, That is the sort of stuff Sony use, I mean I have that clip better quality than them on a Promo VHS

I get it now. And here is where we agree! I mentioned this in another thread a while ago. The footage of the bad tour that was released to media outlets like MTV, VH1 and what we see on Youtube is recorded by 5-7 cameras and were basically the shots used on the jumbo screens for the audience which is why there are very little wide shots because the audience already has their own wide shots. The intent of this footage is very different from the intent of camera footage you plan to air as a long form concert special. The lighting techniques are even adjusted specifically for television viewing where as the clips we see on youtube are not. For concerts Mike planned to air specifically for television viewing he likely hired an additional camera crew (with 30 or so cameras and cranes to capture all kinds of angles) and a concert director to film the tour for television(look at the credit from the Yokomah show there was director from Japan and all the additional cameramen were from Japan as well). In this case, like you are saying, there may be only one or two concerts he did this for and what keeps being said is it was the concerts in London. The reason i've know this is because I had the same thoughts as other fans have, but about Janet. I wondered why she didn't release footage from all her other venues on dvd but she wouldn't because the filming format is not of the same quality (even though the footage is crystal clear). she did however release a couple of songs from the other venus as bonus material but she'd never do that for an entire dvd. With her Velvet Rope, and All For You tour she hired a director and brought in 30 additional cameras to film the tour specifically for HBO and dvd. I asked her choreographer if she did this for every show and she said Janet records every show but for television she only does one or so shows because it would cost too much to hire 30 cameramen and tote them and their equipment around.

Also with the audio from Janet's concerts. For the ones she released to MTV and VH1 the audio was not as crystal clear as the audio captured when they filmed the footage for t.v. so this is very similar to what you are saying about Mike. I get it. And this pretty much common practice in the industry. But unfortunately everyone doesn't get the opportunity to film for t.v.

:)

Surely ALL the shows were recorded due to the BIG screens either side of the stage for the audience?

I honestly have no idea what to think regarding how many videos, good or bad quality ones he had of his shows, but I read an interview with a guy who worked with michael and he had an interesting quote.

Quote by Cory Rooney
"The one thing that I’m looking forward to coming out is Michael had been sitting on all of the footage of the Victory tour because he owns all of the footage of the Victory tour. I used to beg him all the time please. As a matter of fact, I do have a DVD unedited. It’s the straight footage for you It’s amazing. The guy did not lip synch. His voice sounded so amazing. It’s ridiculous. He did all the dancing. He did all the stuff like that. It’s just that he conditioned himself to be able to do that.”

So if he had all the footage to victory tour (the one he was least satisfied with) I would expect him to have had the ones from bad tour as well. :)

just my thoughts.

well it has been mentioned above by many other people also. History munich is a great concert but first all most of us have seen it countless times in (near) perfect quality. I think I had a incredible quality video 9 years ago if not more. Secondly, for me at least not being live takes away ALOT. To me MJ pours his soul when he sings and if I am not hearing his live voice it ain't the same for me.

If you are dancer or have a keen eye you can see MJ's refinement was at best during History tour. stranger is moscow is perfect example of that but the energy of bad and dangerous was not there. True some nights he is on fire but as a whole I would rank History below Dangerous or Bad.

My personal favorite is Dangerous world tour (what I would do for Munich 92 or Wembley--Oh boy!) but we have seen the one from HBO Romania and that is one heck of a concert. So I am VERY happy for that even though I saw it first in 93-94 Lol!

But I can certainly understand for those people who say BAD 2nd leg is MJ's peak. There is something to it no doubt. Plus the fact that we do NOT have any good source for that concert leg. True, the BAD japan is out but while being an excellent concert it lacks Dirty Diana, TWYMMF, Smooth Criminal, and my personal best Another Part of Me.

So given all that I say BAD 2nd leg world tour is indeed the best choice for a fan based or mass release. I am split between LA and wembley but leaning towards the later be because of its legendary status. So video from LA and audio from Wembley if not both.

anyways... enough said... LOL!

P.S despite all of that its not like any of us will not buy the History Munich 97 if they release it. We just can't stop! hahaha its who we are so no mater what NOT buying it is OUT of the question :)

Well maybe they will keep Bad (I mean the best) till last?

MJ has nearly ALL his shows in great quality.

Each and every show he has ever done has been recorded in as good quality as the released Dangerous tour DVD.

So does this mean that only the following exist in true HQ Quality..

Triumph Tour L.A
Bad Tour Yokohama
Bad Tour L.A
Bad Tour Wembley
Dangerous Tour Bucharest
HIStory tour Munich

I could be wrong about Bad Tour wembley??

Triumph Tour L.A
Bad Tour Yokohama
Bad Tour L.A
Bad Tour Wembley
Dangerous Tour Bucharest
HIStory tour Munich

I'm sure that they would of done a good job with Bad Wembley because it was such big news at the time and Princess Diana and Prince Charles attended one of those shows and that made it even bigger news!

Triumph Tour L.A
Bad Tour Yokohama
Bad Tour L.A
Bad Tour Wembley
Dangerous Tour Bucharest
HIStory tour Munich

These are the ones that are publicly available (most of them only have a few parts available). The others are locked up in a vault somewhere in the world!!!!

I think there are more professionaly filmed from the american tour, then just the LA last concert.
MITM from Moonwalker has shots from one of the American shows (Bad outfit), cause the concets in US were in smal arenas and you can see the crowd on the side of the stage by the Bad outfit. So if the footage in the "Ones" dvd are from the LA last concert, the MITM on moonwalker might be from one of the other LA nights, cause his hair on the footage from LA that we've seen on the Ones dvd, is different. Or from another city.
The blue shirt is from the Europe leg and the crowd shots too.
The MITM in Moonwalker and the MITM, WDAN, IJCSLY, some of Beat It and APOM, BAD on the "Around the world" special are from the same night.

Last edited:
Great suggestion for LA' concert, I'd prefer maybe they should release a 3 disc set of the Bad Tour, 1st disc would be the premiere of the Europeon concert in Rome, 2nd disc would be one of 7 Wembley shows in London and the 3rd disc would be the final concert in LA.

Great suggestion for LA' concert, I'd prefer maybe they should release a 3 disc set of the Bad Tour, 1st disc would be the premiere of the Europeon concert in Rome, 2nd disc would be one of 7 Wembley shows in London and the 3rd disc would be the final concert in LA.

THAT WOULD BE ACE!!

:punk:

You bet, because I wanna the whole show in Rome so badly and I also wanted to see Wembley and LA too.

Now that we have a release date for This is It on Bluray/DVD (January 26th), I'm hoping that Sony realizes that *gasp* there's a demand for live Michael Jackson material and the Bad/Victory/other tours are released on DVD/Bluray soon after.

*prays*

I either want Kansas City (which is rumored to have all the songs fully sung live from firsthand accounts), or MSG (which has every song live except MITM).

As for the Victory Tour, the Dallas concert would be best. Eddie was there!

Back