Should Janet Jackson Be Inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?

Should JJ be inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame?

• Yes, She absolutley deserves it!

Votes: 33 61.1%
  • No, She hasn't earned it!

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • IDK, I'm on the fence!

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny though, people say an award shouldn't be taken seriously when their favorite artist is ignored...

All my favorite artists are mostly old school artists and some non commercial artists today. A grammy Marvin gaye won is different from A grammy lets say Beyonce would win because Marvin Gaye exactly deserved it not to mention Marvin Gaye has only won 3 grammies which is less than some artists today but does that make them better because of that? No... does it make them more deserving? No.... because the industry today gives out awards not based on deserving talent but its more of a popularity contest.

but if JJ were inducted tomorrow, people would be singing a different tune. Why people do that is just commical to me.

If Janet Jacksonw was to be inducted tomorrow I honestly really wouldnt care (because I dont take awards show seriously today because there all based on popularity) but my opinion that she doesnt deserve to be in still would not change. Janet hasnt done anything innovative.

It's funny though, people say an award shouldn't be taken seriously when their favorite artist is ignored...
The point is that while I agree that the number of awards or industry recognition an artist gets is not the ultimate determining factor in measuring that artist importance or success...it is still most deffinitly IMPORTANT. It's "SERIOUS" to the artist on which the honnor is being bestowed upon so why wouldn't it be "serious" to that artist's fans? I have yet to see an artist reject a grammy or refuse inductment into the R&R hall of fame.
P.S. Thanks to all that have participated in the disscussion

Once upon a time an award use to mean something it use to be deserving and it use to be base off an artists true talent. But that opinion does not go for awards today because awards today doesnt mean anything. There have been artists that have gotten legendary awards, 10 grammies etc and they have not written a single song in their life, there vocals are poor, there video is not the greatest... today awards are solely based on popularity and mass appeal period.. not based on real talent. I can name a hundred artists right now that make great music but they have never bee nominated for anything because an award is not about how great an artist is.

If Janet Jacksonw was to be inducted tomorrow I honestly really wouldnt care (because I dont take awards show seriously today because there all based on popularity) but my opinion that she doesnt deserve to be in still would not change. Janet hasnt done anything innovative.
Technically, most of the acts in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame shouldn't be in there because they don't make "Rock N Roll". That includes the Jackson 5 & Michael. Most of The Beatles music isn't really Rock either, nor is Madonna, Elvis Presley, the Ink Spots, Grandmaster Flash, Smokey Robinson, and so on. Rush is Rock but aren't in there, nor is Motley Crue, Genesis, Van Der Graaf Generator, Johnny & Edgar Winter, and many other acts. Then again Jann Wenner hates Genesis music, lol.

These types of topics never solve anything. But get people upset. Over and over and over and over.
Well, my personal opinion was that I was on the fence about her being in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The reason why is because I honestly do not know enough about her to be certain. (i have to do my research)
But, what I do know so far, is that she's very talented, very beautiful and I do enjoy some of her music very much. She did put in the wrench time into her craft and does deserve to be noticed and I think this is all really what it is.

Anyways, that's all I'm saying for this topic. No use debating opinions here because as you can all see... it just goes around and around and around until someone starts crying. -_-

Technically, most of the acts in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame shouldn't be in there because they don't make "Rock N Roll". That includes the Jackson 5 & Michael. Most of The Beatles music isn't really Rock either, nor is Madonna, Elvis Presley, the Ink Spots, Grandmaster Flash, Smokey Robinson, and so on. Rush is Rock but aren't in there, nor is Motley Crue, Genesis, Van Der Graaf Generator, Johnny & Edgar Winter, and many other acts. Then again Jann Wenner hates Genesis music, lol.

rock and roll is a relative term. it's meaning really has nothing to do with music, but it allows all kinds of popular acts to get in, so, i think the inducted members are appropriate. the term rock and roll sounds more like a jazzy person and a poppy person, and a bluesy person, and a rock person can get in, more than the term 'pop' hall of fame. anyways, Michael did write some rock type tunes, and so did the beatles. and the Stones wrote some tunes that sounded more pop like, such as 'Miss You', which even incorporates blues, and r and b.

Of course, being MJ's sister did help her have connections many other rookies can only dream of and start from a relatively better position. So obvious. Everyone knows how crucial it is to have connections in the showbiz. But this does not mean she didn't make efforts to get where she is. She did.

I know, that's how I feel. Janet has worked her ass off to get where she is today but it was her connections that got her started on the path. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis were THE producers in the mid 80s and being Michael Jackson's little sister certainly helped secure those connections. But as I said before Janet worked her ass off and that was what gained her the success she has today.

She's also the first and only artist to be nominated in pop, rock, rap, R&B, and dance at the Grammys

To this day, Janet remains the only artist in Billboard history to hit no.1 on the Dance, Pop, Rock, Rap, R&B, Adult Contemporary and Top 40 charts.

I know, that's how I feel. Janet has worked her ass off to get where she is today but it was her connections that got her started on the path. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis were THE producers in the mid 80s and being Michael Jackson's little sister certainly helped secure those connections. But as I said before Janet worked her ass off and that was what gained her the success she has today.

Seriously?

How did MJ get in? Same way Janet did. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis weren't the producers till after Control. Jimmy said so himself that he and Terry weren't on Quincy Jones status when they started working with Janet. Being MJ's little sister has nothing to do with Janet's success because as far as I know MJ has 7 other siblings that had lackluster solo success.

all my favorite artists are mostly old school artists and some non commercial artists today. A grammy marvin gaye won is different from a grammy lets say beyonce would win because marvin gaye exactly deserved it not to mention marvin gaye has only won 3 grammies which is less than some artists today but does that make them better because of that? No... Does it make them more deserving? No.... Because the industry today gives out awards not based on deserving talent but its more of a popularity contest.

If janet jacksonw was to be inducted tomorrow i honestly really wouldnt care (because i dont take awards show seriously today because there all based on popularity) but my opinion that she doesnt deserve to be in still would not change. janet hasnt done anything innovative.

once upon a time an award use to mean something it use to be deserving and it use to be base off an artists true talent. But that opinion does not go for awards today because awards today doesnt mean anything. There have been artists that have gotten legendary awards, 10 grammies etc and they have not written a single song in their life, there vocals are poor, there video is not the greatest... Today awards are solely based on popularity and mass appeal period.. Not based on real talent. I can name a hundred artists right now that make great music but they have never bee nominated for anything because an award is not about how great an artist is.

yes, she has!!! :eek:

Seriously?

How did MJ get in? Same way Janet did. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis weren't the producers till after Control. Jimmy said so himself that he and Terry weren't on Quincy Jones status when they started working with Janet. Being MJ's little sister has nothing to do with Janet's success because as far as I know MJ has 7 other siblings that had lackluster solo success.
Yes he does have 7 other siblings, and they ALL (save for Tito) tried there hands at a solo music career and were able to do so BECAUSE of their CONNECTIONS to people in high places...the ONLY difference between them and Janet is the work ethic. Michael even said this time and time again. The brothers were just too damn lazy and expected their name to get them automatic success. The point was that while we all know Janet is talented, her talent is really not that serious. She made it to where she is today because she had something her siblings lacked and thats is determination and a crazy work ethic. And if you think being MJ little sister hasn't contributed to the oppertunities she got, then your in straight denial. BUT we are getting off topic here...

Yes he does have 7 other siblings, and they ALL (save for Tito) tried there hands at a solo music career and were able to do so BECAUSE of their CONNECTIONS to people in high places...the ONLY difference between them and Janet is the work ethic. Michael even said this time and time again. The brothers were just too damn lazy and expected their name to get them automatic success. The point was that while we all know Janet is talented, her talent is really not that serious. She made it to where she is today because she had something her siblings lacked and thats is determination and a crazy work ethic. And if you think being MJ little sister hasn't contributed to the oppertunities she got, then your in straight denial. BUT we are getting off topic here...

:lmao: @ "crazy work ethic"

Come on now! Janet is very talented and I know it hurts you to say it but she's very talented. Why are you acting like MJ just got in with his talent. Hate to break it to you he got in the door the same way his other siblings did. It was his drive that made him excel his other brothers and the same can be said about Janet. Being MJ's little sister doesn't have shit to do with her success and influence on the industry/dance world.

Joe got all the Jackson's one foot in the door.

Seriously?

Michael talent level smashes janet please don't go there.

Janet worked hard no doubt. jermaine had a good solid career and just stopped basically.

but Janet ain't never been on MJ's level.Quincy Jones from the musical standpoint would have laughed Janet out of the studio. vocally she was flat but the right songs did wonders.

Michael talent level smashes janet please don't go there.

Janet worked hard no doubt. jermaine had a good solid career and just stopped basically.

but Janet ain't never been on MJ's level.Quincy Jones from the musical standpoint would have laughed Janet out of the studio. vocally she was flat but the right songs did wonders.

Janet act, sings, dances, writes and produces.

Who said she was? Janet is on her own level just like MJ was on his own. No need to compare the two. They're completely different. and no need to bash Janet to up your idol. It just shows your insecurities. Janet is a great singer and the fact that her most successful single ever is a ballad proves that so you can go back to your hole right now :)

:lmao: @ "crazy work ethic"

Come on now! Janet is very talented and I know it hurts you to say it but she's very talented. Why are you acting like MJ just got in with his talent. Hate to break it to you he got in the door the same way his other siblings did. It was his drive that made him excel his other brothers and the same can be said about Janet. Being MJ's little sister doesn't have shit to do with her success and influence on the industry/dance world.

Joe got all the Jackson's one foot in the door.
Why am I acting like MJ got in based on his talent? Because he DID lmao. It's called an AUDITION lol, something Janet never had to do (accept when she decided to go the acting route...and even then, the Director or casting personnel of the FIRST show she was on said he asked her to come and see him AFTER he saw her on the JACKSON's variety show, is that a connection? um yea). But, back to Mikes audition...It happened back in 1968 at Barry Gordy's house in detriot lol read up on your Jackson history. MICHAEL (and his back up singe...I mean brothers, BLEW HIM OUT OF THE WATER). I'll say it one more time, Janet Jackson, weather YOU want to admit it or not it's up to you, got where she is today because of...
1). Her CONNECTIONS,
2). Her DRIVE, AMBITION, and WORK ETHIC,
3). Her talent.

In that order exactly...IMHO!

Seriously?

I think you misunderstood me slightly. I never said Janet isn't talented and doesn't deserve her success, she does. She worked really hard to get where she is today. All I said was that it was easier for her than other artists to get the top producers to work with her because Michael is her brother. Any artist who has a successful parent/sibling in the business gets a bit of a leg up as they have more access to connections than people who are starting out from fresh. Its the same in any field of work. If you know someone in that field its easier to get a foot in the door. But after that leg up its up to them. Some fail whereas some succeed.

Why am I acting like MJ got in based on his talent? Because he DID lmao. It's called an AUDITION lol, something Janet never had to do (accept when she decided to go the acting route...and even then, the Director or casting personnel of the FIRST show she was on said he asked her to come and see him AFTER he saw her on the JACKSON's variety show, is that a connection? um yea). But, back to Mikes audition...It happened back in 1968 at Barry Gordy's house in detriot lol read up on your Jackson history. MICHAEL (and his back up singe...I mean brothers, BLEW HIM OUT OF THE WATER). I'll say it one more time, Janet Jackson, weather YOU want to admit it or not it's up to you, got where she is today because of...
1). Her CONNECTIONS,
2). Her DRIVE, AMBITION, and WORK ETHIC,
3). Her talent.

In that order exactly...IMHO!

1. What happened to Jermaine? Latoya? Rebbie? :lol:
2. Correct. The same can be said about MJ in the late 70's. He easily could've evaporated into obscurity like his other brothers

:sigh: Anything to discredit Janet. She wouldn't have had a career spanning 3 decades if it wasn't for talent and innovation. Stay mad ;)

I think you misunderstood me slightly. I never said Janet isn't talented and doesn't deserve her success, she does. She worked really hard to get where she is today. All I said was that it was easier for her than other artists to get the top producers to work with her because Michael is her brother. Any artist who has a successful parent/sibling in the business gets a bit of a leg up as they have more access to connections than people who are starting out from fresh. Its the same in any field of work. If you know someone in that field its easier to get a foot in the door. But after that leg up its up to them. Some fail whereas some succeed.

I disagree, it wasn't easier for her to get in because she's a Jackson. I don't know most of y'all are acting like ALL the Jackson's were successful. 1. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis weren't top producers before they worked with Janet so try again. 2. Just because her family is "famous" that didn't help her either. because no one cares about the other Jackson's.

2. Correct. The same can be said about MJ in the late 70's. He easily could've evaporated into obscurity like his other brothers

:sigh: Anything to discredit Janet. She wouldn't have had a career spanning 3 decades if it wasn't for talent and innovation. Stay mad ;)
Oh WOW...ok lmao ok

Clearly you either didn't read my other post or your picked the parts that you wanted to focus on...Jergreasy, Letalk to much, and Rebbie lacked what both MJ and Janet had which was drive, ambition, and work ethic. LMAO MJ would have NEVER "evaporated into obscurity " in the late 70's (or any other period for that matter...unless HE wanted to) because 1). He was out of this worl TALENTED 2). In the late 70's HE was working on a MOVIE lol. (again read up on your Jackson history before poppin off at the mouth) and 3). Off the Wall came out in 79 and it blew the fuck up. Nobody is trying to "dicredit" Janet...simply trying to point out that the girl had some help. lol...Innovation? well thats a whole other conversation so Ima leave that one alone.

Oh man...yea you give Janet fans a REALLY bad name.

Oh WOW...ok lmao ok

Clearly you either didn't read my other post or your picked the parts that you wanted to focus on...Jergreasy, Letalk to much, and Rebbie lacked what both MJ and Janet had which was drive, ambition, and work ethic. LMAO MJ would have NEVER "evaporated into obscurity " in the late 70's (or any other period for that matter...unless HE wanted to) because 1). He was out of this worl TALENTED 2). In the late 70's HE was working on a MOVIE lol. (again read up on your Jackson history before poppin off at the mouth) and 3). Off the Wall came out in 79 and it blew the fuck up. Nobody is trying to "dicredit" Janet...simply trying to point out that the girl had some help. lol...Innovation? well thats a whole other conversation so Ima leave that one alone.

Oh man...yea you give Janet fans a REALLY bad name.

:rofl:

Do you remember when the Jackson's were falling off? I think it was around the time Destiny was released and the Variety show flopped. I'm speaking of that time period. MJ easily could've died off into obscurity after that. As great as OTW is he could've died off into obscurtiy after that album too if he didn't change his image and sound. Stop acting like MJ was the only talented person in the world lmfaooo. Oh and you must be one of those loons that just ramble on and on about how Janet doesn't have talent and just depended on her name to get by. Without actually giving her music a listen AHAA!! *NEWS FLASH* Nobody cares about the Jackson's. Period. The saying her last name helped her is a bunch of horse shit.

and lets not forget that there was time in the 90's when MJ wasn't popular and Janet was still doing her thing. Reason why he asked her to do "Scream" in the first place. :D

Janet wrote and produced a rock song called "Black Cat"
Black Sabbath has a song called "Laguna Sunrise" and KISS has a song called "Beth", but that doesn't qualify them into an Easy Listening Hall Of Fame or getting on the Lawrence Welk Show. "Ob La Di Ob La Da" doesn't qualify the Beatles into a Reggae Hall Of Fame either. :p

Yes. Case in point, I believe JJ is talented and influencal in her own right, whether others feel so or not. Hell, she shoulda got it in at least 2001; what happened??

^^^^Again Jann Wenner has to approve who gets in. The 25 year thing doesn't really mean anything.

Black Sabbath has a song called "Laguna Sunrise" and KISS has a song called "Beth", but that doesn't qualify them into an Easy Listening Hall Of Fame or getting on the Lawrence Welk Show. "Ob La Di Ob La Da" doesn't qualify the Beatles into a Reggae Hall Of Fame either. :p

Yea, I know. I was just pointing out that she does have rock songs and one she wrote and produced herself :)

oh em gee. Not everything is said to discredit Janet. Just um, accept the fact that the people here are MJ fans first and foremost, no one has to love her as much as we love Michael. Clearly, you do, k. But really lay down on the snappy attitude a weeee bit, it comes across well.. gives Janet fans a bad name, I would agree. And I adore Janet, so please don't attack me.

About the whole connections-drive-talent thing, Janet has all of those, it's a compliment! So does Michael. Which is why they're super successful as opposed to...
La Toya who has connections, but absolutely no talent, and Jermaine who has connections and a little talent. They don't compare, because they're average, whereas Michael is a musical genius and Janet is a very talented and driven artist. Can you really disagree with that?

Oh, and sometimes fallacy is nothing more that someone being tired of arguing with a hostile opponent. No offence intended!

After looking at all these pages, and this is irrelevant but im surprised Mariah hasn't got in there yet, with all the sucess she's had in the past (not to mention that she's written, prduced, and arranged almost all her material).

I've removed all the off-topic posts in this thread. Debate by all means, but please, keep it respectful and relevant. Anything else is unnecessary.

Having connections in the industry will only get you so far. You can have all the connections you want, but if you're delivering Britney Spears post-2006, you'll be dropped rather quickly. John McClain took note of Janet's story saying she wanted a change and do something on her own. That's when HE recommend Jimmy and Terry to Janet. At that time they were UP AND COMING producers of the 80s. I mean, did PRINCE really need them? A musical genius more talented than anyone in the Jackson family.

In any event, Janet got where she is because of her. The connections only went so far, and that was evident before Control came out. After that it was all up to her, and her talents. Janet is by far a more well-rounded talent than any of the Jacksons. Musically, who is the most talented is all subjective, but her catalog is definitely more diverse than them all. And it's a fact that Janet can and will act circles around all 8 of her siblings.

The reason why Janet worked and her siblings didn't is because she was putting out something that had never come from the Jacksons. No one was being sassy and bitchy like Janet on "What Have You Done....". None of them had that poise and vulnerability that Janet had. That's why she worked. She was different, she was fresh, she stood out from her peers, and this was noted at MTV Icon.

And if you're still on the fence, plz read:

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2388590&postcount=35

http://rhythmlessnation.blogspot.com/2009/07/sang-it-aretha.html

Having connections in the industry will only get you so far. You can have all the connections you want, but if you're delivering Britney Spears post-2006, you'll be dropped rather quickly. John McClain took note of Janet's story saying she wanted a change and do something on her own. That's when HE recommend Jimmy and Terry to Janet. At that time they were UP AND COMING producers of the 80s. I mean, did PRINCE really need them? A musical genius more talented than anyone in the Jackson family.

In any event, Janet got where she is because of her. The connections only went so far, and that was evident before Control came out. After that it was all up to her, and her talents. Janet is by far a more well-rounded talent than any of the Jacksons. Musically, who is the most talented is all subjective, but her catalog is definitely more diverse than them all. And it's a fact that Janet can and will act circles around all 8 of her siblings.

The reason why Janet worked and her siblings didn't is because she was putting out something that had never come from the Jacksons. No one was being sassy and bitchy like Janet on "What Have You Done....". None of them had that poise and vulnerability that Janet had. That's why she worked. She was different, she was fresh, she stood out from her peers, and this was noted at MTV Icon.

And if you're still on the fence, plz read:

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2388590&postcount=35

http://rhythmlessnation.blogspot.com/2009/07/sang-it-aretha.html

Of course that your "objective" opinion. Michaels talent is untouchable, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back