Quincy Jones talks Michael Jackson with Roger Friedman (video)

Quincy's getting a bit old...I take what he says with a grain of salt, like the whole "he wanted to be white" thing.

Does Quincy Jones confirm Michael's voice on 'Breaking News'? No. He doesn't.

Does he confirm Michael's voice is not on Breakind News? No he doesn't do that either.

Let's not forget the vast number of people who think that Quincy Jones wrote all of MJ's material and that "Michael wouldn't be anything without Quincy." That is a very common perception amongst casual fans and non-fans.

With "the family didn't thank me" I tend to think he believes this as well at least to a degree

Q was already making paradigm-shifting records when Michael was only six years old. Have some respect!

Sure wish Q had remembered those words. "Have some respect".

But back on your point, I totally give it to him, he is a great talent. But I'll never see him as merely great again. That goes beyond talent.

P.S. And when MJ was six, his talent was already wowing people.

Does he confirm Michael's voice is not on Breakind News? No he doesn't do that either.

And therein lies the problem. It shouldn't be hard. Michael Jackson has one of the most distinctive voices around. It doesn't matter if he's doing an angry song while making a personal or political statement, or singing with his trademark tenor or falsetto in a midtempo groove or ballad. There is only one Michael Jackson... and many of us are open to believing he's on the track, we just don't like tracks where we have to guess who we're listening to, or take someone's word, or hunt and peck for vocals.

With "the family didn't thank me" I tend to think he believes this as well at least to a degree

Then he'd be wrong. Doesn't take away from the fact he still gets a big amount of credit for the success of MJ's solo material with Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad.

He also didn't say it wasn't him on BN. So... RF should just try to stay neutral and write on his scoops. He's taking this way too personally.
i'm sure sony shares the same sentiment. lol. he's a loose cannon. got fired by his own company. he's not good at working for anyone but himself. so if he tries to ally himself with someone, most likely, his enemy will rejoice. Michael couldn't ask for anything better, cus freidman is too sloppy.

well he's breaking pattern, here. he prides himself in his opinions, whether he is right or wrong. this time, he doesn't have one. that doesn't bode well for the cascios. plus, he's on camera, freidman is being pushy to a sloppy degree, and i would think Jones wants to put his best foot forward, in the face of leading questions.

And therein lies the problem. It shouldn't be hard. Michael Jackson has one of the most distinctive voices around. It doesn't matter if he's doing an angry song while making a personal or political statement, or singing with his trademark tenor or falsetto in a midtempo groove or ballad. There is only one Michael Jackson... and many of us are open to believing he's on the track, we just don't like tracks where we have to guess who we're listening to, or take someone's word, or hunt and peck for vocals.

well he's breaking pattern, here. he prides himself in his opinions, whether he is right or wrong. this time, he doesn't have one. that doesn't bode well for the cascios. plus, he's on camera, freidman is being pushy to a sloppy degree, and i would think Jones wants to put his best foot forward, in the face of leading questions.

but is there really a problem with what he said here?

If you think that there is at least some vocals of MJ on the Breaking News song then the right answer would be something in the middle - just like Quincy said.

I never said there's a problem with what he said. My problem is with the tracks. I want to enjoy the artist I'm listening to. I don't want to have to hunt them out or have doubts about who I'm listening to.

If you think Mike is on the track, then what Quincy said probably doesn't cause you to change your opinion. If you don't think Mike is on those tracks, then Q's comments probably didn't change your opinion.

My personal opinion is there should be no doubts when it comes to the music of Michael Jackson.

My personal opinion is there should be no doubts when it comes to the music of Michael Jackson.

Yeah I agree. Whatever we think about Jones, or the stuff he said about Michael, he knows his voice. Not that his opinion is worth more than any other artist who worked with Michael, but it's the doubt that kills everything. There should be none.

but is there really a problem with what he said here?

If you think that there is at least some vocals of MJ on the Breaking News song then the right answer would be something in the middle - just like Quincy said.
jones didn't have an answer. the right answer is you either feel it or don't. it wasn't like this in the past and it should't be like this now. this wasn't done to elvis or anybody else. like i said earlier i had a copy of the credits that was taken down, and i know that those who support this fraud would be gung ho to bring them up if they supported it, not. so this argument is being kept up for argument's sake. but you go ahead and support what you want. all i know is...in most cases we are taught fool me once.....
and MJ was constantly accused of being too trusting. now some seem ok with the sonys and the cascios who come across like the nefarious ones in MJ's life. those who THOUGHT Michael was too trusting, maybe missed obvious statements he made in video, promising never to write for sony again, after the box set. so they think cus MJ was still signed, that he trusted them. he didn't. and there were nothing but remakes and archival stuff he knew could see the light of day. and now there is an atmosphere of trusting sony, except for those of us who don't.

Last edited:
^^Yes I forgot the part about him being accused of being too trusting. Thanks for reminding me of that. Quincy is hedging and that is telling. He cannot say yes or no because he is not sure, and I commend him for this. Others might say "yes" because they feel that other producers have said "yest it is Michael." Obviously, he can think for himself, and I like that. He knows his artistic reputation is on the line here.

Jackson_popcorn.gif

^^Yes I forgot the part about him being accused of being too trusting. Thanks for reminding me of that. Quincy is hedging and that is telling. He cannot say yes or no because he is not sure, and I commend him for this. Others might say "yes" because they feel that other producers have said "yest it is Michael." Obviously, he can think for himself, and I like that. He knows his artistic reputation is on the line here.

agent m made it obvious in his video protest, that he wasn't too trusting, despite those accusations. agent m, the avid student of books, has been telling us that sony, the emperor is wearing no clothes, and i shouldn't buy sony's malarchy, so i'm not buying this album. if MJ was around, i would buy the album, and i know the war would continue, but at least, i would have been able to trust the material. why should i trust a company that MJ couldn't trust? just because you work with or for someone doesn't automatically mean you trust them. he made it clear. if the relationship was good, MJ would have put out much new material, while he was here. but sony made it clear that they didn't respect him as a songwriter, despite his legendary history, that filled their pockets. now they wanna use their hacks. they proved they are not good at a and r, and they're proving it now. everything from their 'talent' to their 'songwriting', they prefer over Michael's talent and songwriting in latter years. those snarky comments they made about 'how MJ matured as a songwriter' on this new album. agent m made sony just like he made mtv. his career gave the industry three big shots in the arm, when they needed it most. his decisions, writing, publishing and business, made sony the musical empire it is, today. if it weren't for Michael, the record company would be just another casualty of the industry. and how do they repay him? with disrespect, and thinking they can do a better job than he could. a two year old could see this, and NOT deny it.

Last edited:
What the problem of Jones with the Jacksons ? He seem to say they don't know the voice of their own brothers ? The Jacksons have worked more with Michael than him...so I think their opinions is probably very credible about this subject, he seem to say that the Jacksons have never done any music !!! They know how a studio work and how to mix various voice, he seem to forget that they have done and produced lot of albums with Michael (Destiny, Triumph, Victory etc...).

And Quincy seem to forget that Randy Jackson have done the percussions in "don't stop till you get enough", he was probably in studio with them for that.

Quincy has said some dodgy things in the past 1,5 years. But I still have the utmost respect for him, he's a legend. And we all say stuff we later regret.

Seems here as if he doesn't want anything to do with the new album and probably didn't like what he heard either. He knew the way Michael worked (crying to not release the first verson of Thriller because he thought it was awfull) and the way the album is put together now is not the way Michael would want it too.

Quincy Jones lost the plot a long time ago. He's a shadow of the man we used to know - 'senile' some might say.

This is a guy who refuses to believe - despite all ther medical evidence - that MJ had Vitiligo. He thinks Michael hated being black and used to sit in a bath of bleach each evening - how stupid do you have to be to believe that sh**!?

Quincy did ok before MJ - the odd Grammy they used to dish out to 'Black' people to try and make out the award were not racist - but MJ made him the big name him later became. After MJ, what did Quincy ever do that was worthwhile? Nothing I can think of.

Ask the general public what Quincy Jones did before or after working with MJ. Would they be able to tell you one thing? Doubt it.

Ask the general public who made the mega selling albums 'Dangerous', and most of them will be able to tell you.

Although Quincy, through jealousy and old age, has tried to make out he was the force behind MJ's success, it's bullsh**. Qunicy needed MJ more than MJ needed Quincy. MJ was a huge talent before he ever set eyes on Quincy.

Stop taking the ramblings of an old man as 'gospel' - just because it suits you - unless you want to accept all the other sh** Quincy has dished out against MJ. Otherwise you just look like hypocrites.

Quincy Jones lost the plot a long time ago. He's a shadow of the man we used to know - 'senile' some might say.

This is a guy who refuses to believe - despite all ther medical evidence - that MJ had Vitiligo. He thinks Michael hated being black and used to sit in a bath of bleach each evening - how stupid do you have to be to believe that sh**!?

Quincy did ok before MJ - the odd Grammy they used to dish out to 'Black' people to try and make out the award were not racist - but MJ made him the big name him later became. After MJ, what did Quincy ever do that was worthwhile? Nothing I can think of.

Ask the general public what Quincy Jones did before or after working with MJ. Would they be able to tell you one thing? Doubt it.

Ask the general public who made the mega selling albums 'Dangerous', and most of them will be able to tell you.

Although Quincy, through jealousy and old age, has tried to make out he was the force behind MJ's success, it's bullsh**. Qunicy needed MJ more than MJ needed Quincy. MJ was a huge talent before he ever set eyes on Quincy.

Stop taking the ramblings of an old man as 'gospel' - just because it suits you - unless you want to accept all the other sh** Quincy has dished out against MJ. Otherwise you just look like hypocrites.

I'm not a fan of Quincy and I have never taken his words as gospel. I agree the creative force behind Michael's unprecedented success was none other than Michael Jackson himself.

Yet, I recognize Quincy Jones, the music producer. Quincy is indeed a great talent himself. Off the Wall/Thriller/Bad trilogy is probably one of the greatest music collaborations of all time. Quincy deserves his credits. There is no such thing as who needs who more. Quincy could do well without Michael (although I reckon he wouldn't be a household name without Michael). Michael would still be a mega star without Quincy (but, no one knows whether he would have the biggest selling album of all time?) Why can't we just accept the fact that Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson created magic together...

I'm not happy with what Quincy said about Michael. Quincy definitely had questionable behavior in the past. But, how does it have anything to do with his ability as a producer? Based on what he said in this interview alone, he said he could not hear Michael because the vocals are stack. That's a fair statement.

Let's make an assumption here. Let's say Quincy "approved" the album. Will you still think he's senile?

I don't have anything good to say about Quincy, the individual. But, I respect him as a musician. I would consider his professional opinion though. Does it make me a hypocrite?

No one in this world is one-dimensional. He might be a jealous grumpy man, yet he is still a great musician. By the way, I never heard him dissing Michael's music. Quincy Jones acknowledged Michael's talents as much as you and I.

Last edited:
Again, as for what Quincy did after Thriller, he created two well-received albums, one of which netted him 7 grammy awards, including "Album of the Year". He also produced the last studio recordings of Ella Fitzgerald on this album.

People's opinions on the tracks aside, can people stop acting like Quincy didn't do anything after MJ? There are a LOT of people who also say the same about MJ: that he did not do anything worthwhile after his work with Quincy. That is just as ridiculous as acting as if Quincy didn't do anything worthwhile outside of his work with MJ.

^And Quincy's input on Bad was lesser than it was in Thriller and Off The Wall. Starting with Bad, MJ began taking on the role of producer and executive producer more than the previous two albums.

Which is great - he sold a bunch of albums and took his sound in an new direction, but again, it really doesn't do anything to prove or disprove the legacy of Off The Wall and Thriller, or even Bad.

quincy is also responsible for mess called we are the world 25 .so i am not going to listen to him when he dissed new album.

quincy is also responsible for mess called we are the world 25 .so i am not going to listen to him when he dissed new album.

Will you listen to him if Quincy praised the new album?

Anyway, did he diss the new album? He just expressed his opinion. He said he could not hear Michael because the vocals are stack. He said he didn't think it's a good idea to release materials because Michael is not here to provide his finishing touch. These are his opinions. Thus far, he didn't say anything negative regarding the album.

It's okay for people to be excited and supportive of the new album. I will buy the album myself. Still, there is nothing wrong for people to not support the album. Both will.i.am and Quincy Jones worked with Michael in the studio. They have first hand knowledge of how Michael was like as a musician. Both of them found it uneasy to release materials without Michael's approval, which, im my opinion, is totally understandable.

Michael respected Quincy Jones and other artists himself. Yet, some fans can't wait to trash him or other artists if those artists have different opinions from their own.

saleswise? Dangerous sold more than Bad...so your point again???

But both dangerous & bad combined haven't sold as much as thriller. My point was that thriller was the product of a very special confluence of talents in the right place at the right time.

Will you listen to him if Quincy praised the new album?

Anyway, did he diss the new album? He just expressed his opinion. He said he could not hear Michael because the vocals are stack. He said he didn't think it's a good idea to release materials because Michael is not here to provide his finishing touch. These are his opinions. Thus far, he didn't say anything negative regarding the album.

It's okay for people to be excited and supportive of the new album. I will buy the album myself. Still, there is nothing wrong for people to not support the album. Both will.i.am and Quincy Jones worked with Michael in the studio. They have first hand knowledge of how Michael was like as a musician. Both of them found it uneasy to release materials without Michael's approval, which, im my opinion, is totally understandable.

Michael respected Quincy Jones and other artists himself. Yet, some fans can't wait to trash him or other artists if those artists have different opinions from their own.

i don't trash people .since mj died quincy has been negative things about him and his kids .he is telling people that they just want money by selling this album.do u really think that he had guts to come out when mj was alive and told in interview that he bleached his skin,those are not his kids.
he is two face like others who are coming out of woods.people are really showing their color and u are saying fans are basing him.
last thing i am going to say that he might be genius in his work but as a human being he is disgrace,as a friend he is disgrace so in my book people like this are not respected.
who needs enemy when u r surrounded by friends like quincy.
even if he praised this album ,i am not going to listen to him ,he always will be two faced to me ,he can go and kick a rock with his open toe.

I disagree with the recent things Quincy has said but lets not diminish his success here. In regards to Thriller it became the biggest selling album of all time for multiple different reasons. Quincy is a great producer and mixed with the imagination, brilliance and stubborness of Michael, it was an electric combination. Also the time helped. The growth of MTV at the time of Thriller of course helped it become more visible due to Michael's imagination and revolutionary ways to revitalise what was originally a marketing tool. Motown 25 was also important for the success of Thriller. Quincy didn't always make the best decisions, thinking that Billie Jean was too weak to be on the album, then wanting the opening bass line cut as it was too long. But would Thriller had been as successful without Quincy, of course it'd be still one of the biggest selling albums of all time but would it have been the biggest?

It's also worth mentioning: How much of what MJ learned in the studio with Bruce, Rod, Quincy and other musicians/songwriters did he use when taking control of his later albums? Probably a lot.

It's also worth mentioning: How much of what MJ learned in the studio with Bruce, Rod, Quincy and other musicians/songwriters did he use when taking control of his later albums? Probably a lot.

well MJ knew what sounded good when he was a little boy, and that's why he broke from Motown. but, indeed, he was a sponge, also.

Quincy turned his back on MJ many years ago - through jealousy and spite - and he has said some despicable things about Michael, before and after his death. Also, he was nowhere near MJ when he needed him during the trials. I don't need to know any more about the man that that. I don't hate the man, but I don't have any respect for him either.

Next people will be telling me we should respect Diane Dimond because "she is kind to animals", or we should respect Tom Sneddon because "he keeps a nice garden"!

Back