Quincy Jones talks Michael Jackson with Roger Friedman (video)

now he says that after doggin him in 05 and after his death and havin nerve 2say mike wasnt that talented...bullshit. he can eat it. And after WATW25 and this new PYT we all KNOW the driving force and talents behind Otw-BAD and it aint QJ

100% Agree! Without Michael's magic what has Quincy done since BAD?

Google Translate needs the "Quincy Jones" language.

:rofl:

:) Is this your professional diagnosis doctor, or just a personal opinion?

lmao:)

A bit of both...you can too. Take a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB9T7mxRmAs

and read this

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/archive/Quincy-Jones-Michael-Jackson-Didnt-Want-to-Be-Black.html

If these are not proof of senility or dementia...I don't know what is

100% Agree! Without Michael's magic what has Quincy done since BAD?

Well said. Don't stop 'til you get enough demo=album version. And it was all MJ.

the raw vocal tracks (accapella) is 'stacked' - there is no 'unstacked' accapella in existence according to the cascios

My take on this - RF is being paid by sony to 'ameliorate' the dissident fan problem in exactly the same way that Sony employed Raffles on a consultant basis to help 'manage' the TINI problem.

Re Stacked Vocals: Lead Vocals are normally recorded one take per track on a multitrack recorder - in other words each take is distinct and discreet and can be listened to in total isolation without FX.

These individual takes are then 'comped' or composited into a master lead vocal track which can also be listened to on it's own without fx and in complete isolation.

What you hear on the BN accapella is an awful (both from a technical and tech-aesthetic perspective) compilation of all the vocal tracks mishmashed into one. Whoever assembled that comp either didn't care about the quality of the comp or wanted to confuse/disguise the component parts of the comp. Either way it's a scandalously shameful standard of work. My cat could edit and comp better than that!

I find Quincy's silence quite telling - and his remarks about the way Michael the album has been 'assembled' quite damning.

Best post of the thread! :clapping:
I totally agree, especially about the stalked accappella :)

:rofl:

A bit of both...you can too. Take a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB9T7mxRmAs

and read this

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/archive/Quincy-Jones-Michael-Jackson-Didnt-Want-to-Be-Black.html

If these are not proof of senility or dementia...I don't know what is

Well said. Don't stop 'til you get enough demo=album version. And it was all MJ.

MJ, QJ, BS, et al was a highly successful and long term collaboration, a team effort. Ever wonder why 'Blacbird' is a Lennon-McCartney song and not a Paul McCartney song?

MJ, QJ, BS, et al was a highly successful and long term collaboration, a team effort. Ever wonder why 'Blacbird' is a Lennon-McCartney song and not a Paul McCartney song?

Dangerous >>>>>>Thriller

Enough said.

Dangerous sold more than Bad....

What is the COMMON DENOMINATOR in all this?

MICHAEL FREAKIN' JACKSON...THAT'S WHO. What this proves, MJ was destined for global music domination. Be it with Quincy Jones, teddy Riley....

Absolutely nothing. Which also means he should've kept his mouth shut when asked about Michael's skin disorder instead of blatantly lying about Michael doing it to himself and enjoying the fact that he was "turning white".

and that was a blatant bad move by Jones..and we put him on blast for that. but the issue in this thread is a seperate issue. he's giving great credit to Michael as a songwriter, when he's talked of many legends such as sinatra, and Charles, etc.

people have their moments, but Jones' resume still is impressive.
we pick and choose those moments for our arguments but everybody on this board does that.

but Michael is responsible for keeping him relevant. as well as keeping beiber and many relevant, judging from press articles strewn across this site, though i'm sure that wasn't the press' intent.

these are the things that remind me that Michael will always be relevant in everybody' heart, despite all adversity.

Last edited:
not word by word

Q = did you heard new tracks?

- I heard about them somebody asked me ... to identify them

Q= did you heard breaking news?

- yeah they played that for me

Q= sounds like Michael

- how can you tell though sounds stacked up.

Q= melody is Michaelish

- hi -himm

- ... I can't tell there's too many stacks on. It could be I don't know.

Q= there's been a lot of controversy

- when you stack a voice that much it's hard to tell ....

some talk about sauces

- his family doesn't have a clue what we did in the studio ...

Q = Joe Jackson says that he was always in the studio

- he's a liar

Q= what do you think of Joe?

- I take the fifth. what do you think of him?

Q= I don't think much of him

- nothing much to think. not once the family thank me for doing what I did ... not once nobody

Q= Did Michael thank you.

- of course. Michael knows what happened though

- company didn't want me to do it in the beginning

Q= They thought you were too jazzy

- He started on the "Wiz" and said I'm going to do my solo album help me find producers. (I said) Michael I don't want to talk about it, right now we got a picture and that's what they shoot for and you really have to be on target. everything is ... these are great directors. I didn't really wanted to do the "Wiz" (talks about how he became involved with Wiz)

Q= was Michael a good songwriter?

- God yes. That don't stop till you got enough is .... (talks about art and how he arranged the songs).

- Brad? and I were smoking cigarettes .. at the end of the tape I hear this (hums human nature melody). we already had thriller and billie jean ... had him lay it live? pyt, human nature and beat it. I said I wanted ... black rock n roll. it's what it is anyway. and he selected the song with all the voices? on so we went to his house at Hayvenhurst ... put the voices? on we waited in the hall and that's it. .... when you got a song like Billie Jean just like a monster? with 3 chords on it and then you have this kaleidescope of colors, harmonic information? it's astounding. One producer should do an album. We started the whole thing with multiple producers but one producer should do it. It's like a film director it is. You have to design the whole piece .. what follows what proceeds.

Q= African thing on Wanne be starting something?

- Michael came up with it.

Q= Man in the mirror

- It's on Bad. .. Little ballad.

- It's a process. It's a never ending process. you have to use .... judgement. a lot of love a lot of trust. When you tell to artists like Frank Sinatra to Ray Charles to jump without a net you better know what you're talking about. they don't play man. I was ready for ... I've been doing this since I'm 13. You better have it together because they are watching like a hawk. ....

that's the best I can do. hope it helps.

Thanks Ivy! :)

and that was a blatant bad move by Jones..and we put him on blast for that. but the issue in this thread is a seperate issue. he's giving great credit to Michael as a songwriter, when he's talked of many legends such as sinatra, and Charles, etc.

people have their moments, but Jones' resume still is impressive.

perhaps we pick and choose those moments for our arguments, but everybody on this board does that.

Fair enough.

For people wondering what Quincy Jones did since Bad, he created an album which won him him a grammy for Album of the Year (Back On The Block) and also created another well-received album, Q's Jook Joint. Back On The Block also won 6 other grammy awards.

People can disagree with some of his comments, but there's no need to try to downplay his resume. If he's not worth anything, then why did MJ choose him to helm three of his projects, nearly half of his adult studio work?

I think MJ and Q did some great things, then MJ went on and did some different but equally great things.

^^No one is denying that Jones did great work on OTW, Thriller and Bad... but it's just, he didn't do this work on his own! It was a collaboration of the two of them! But still, many times Jones makes it sound, like he (Jones) was the only one responsible for the success of those projects. But never again, after parting with Michael, did he reach those heights!

^^No one is denying that Jones did great work on OTW, Thriller and Bad... but it's just, he didn't do this work on his own! It was a collaboration of the two of them! But still, many times Jones makes it sound, like he (Jones) was the only one responsible for the success of those projects. But never again, after parting with Michael, did he reach those heights!

And neither did Michael. And your point is?

One thing I can say about Quincy is that I've NEVER heard him say that his work with Michael was all his own. Others (the media) may try to make people believe that, but I've never heard Quincy say it was all his work without any help from Michael. A producers job is to get all the right people together. Yes, Billie Jean was Michael's but I guarantee that Quincy is the one that gathered the behind the scenes players for that song, along with all the other songs Michael produced ALONE. If anything, they helped each other. Michael helped Quincy become popular to a new generation and Quincy helped Michael pull out talents that he probably didn't even know he had. Yes, Quincy has said some questionable things about Mike, but as far as his WORK goes, his talent and achievements can't be denied.

pianoman04;3089548 said:
One thing I can say about Quincy is that I've NEVER heard him say that his work with Michael was all his own. Others (the media) may try to make people believe that, but I've never heard Quincy say it was all his work without any help from Michael. A producers job is to get all the right people together. Yes, Billie Jean was Michael's but I guarantee that Quincy is the one that gathered the behind the scenes players for that song, along with all the other songs Michael produced ALONE. If anything, they helped each other. Michael helped Quincy become popular to a new generation and Quincy helped Michael pull out talents that he probably didn't even know he had. Yes, Quincy has said some questionable things about Mike, but as far as his WORK goes, his talent and achievements can't be denied.

Well as for the songs on the Bad album, Quincy didn´t want to have Smooth Criminal song on that album but Michael insisted. And it turned out to be Michaels best song ever in my opinion not to mention the music video which is far superior to Thriller. This tells that Quincy wasn´t right on every song all the time.

john13th;3089560 said:
Well as for the songs on the Bad album, Quincy didn´t want to have Smooth Criminal song on that album but Michael insisted. And it turned out to be Michaels best song ever in my opinion not to mention the music video which is far superior to Thriller. This tells that Quincy wasn´t right on every song all the time.

Who said he was right on every song all the time? And it's not about being right and wrong, because in music it all boils down to taste and preference. He has his opinions just like every other human being on this earth lol

Quincy poor ole man will forever have to answer questions about Michael as he is part of Michael's legacy and not vice versa which is what bugs him to hell, LMAO

Does Quincy Jones confirm Michael's voice on 'Breaking News'? No. He doesn't.

I don't think anyone is reading that much into this. He's asked if its Michael Jackson on Breaking News, and Quincy never gives an affirmative answer. At best, he says "It could be". That's not very promising to me. If I have a doubt about a track, and someone who had as close a working relationship to Michael Jackson as Quincy can only say "It could be", that's not a good sign.

Plus, I was interested in the opinions of people without any attachment to this album. We got one.. and it wasn't very positive.

Good points. I wonder what he thinks of the song in general.

Quincy poor ole man will forever have to answer questions about Michael as he is part of Michael's legacy and not vice versa which is what bugs him to hell, LMAO

Well just to bring a little reality into your perspective:

During five decades in the entertainment industry, Jones has earned a record 79 Grammy Award nominations, 27 Grammys, including a Grammy Legend Award in 1991.

In 1968, Jones and his songwriting partner Bob Russell became the first African-Americans to be nominated for an Academy Award in the "Best Original Song" category. That same year, he became the first African-American to be nominated twice within the same year when he was nominated for "Best Original Score" for his work on the music of the 1967 film In Cold Blood. In 1971 Jones would receive the honor of becoming the first African American to be named musical director/conductor of the Academy Awards ceremony. He was the first African-American to win the Academy's Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, in 1995. He is tied with sound designer Willie D. Burton as the most Oscar-nominated African American, each of them having seven nominations.

Quincy Jones discography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quincy_Jones_discography

Q was already making paradigm-shifting records when Michael was only six years old. Have some respect!

^^And yet everything people ever seem to talk about is Thriller and Bad! And his connections to Michael.... kinda sucks for him! None of his other stuff got the recognition his work with Michael got!

^^And yet everything people ever seem to talk about is Thriller and Bad! And his connections to Michael.... kinda sucks for him! None of his other stuff got the recognition his work with Michael got!

only ignorant people reduce the sum of a man's contributions to humanity to one moment in time. The same ignorant people who think that Leonardo Da Vinci was only famous for the Mona Lisa or that Michaelangelo was only famous for the ceiling of the cistine chapel, or that Newton was only famous for the (fictitious) apple on the head moment, or that Einstein was only famous for e=mc2... the list is endless.

Let's not forget the vast number of people who think that Quincy Jones wrote all of MJ's material and that "Michael wouldn't be anything without Quincy." That is a very common perception amongst casual fans and non-fans.

Many people don't know what a producer's role is and think Quincy was the man pulling the strings on the whole MJ phenomenon. To say that Quincy had no role in Mike's legendary music and albums is every bit as wrong as those who think Quincy was the sole mastermind. Mike AND Quincy AND Bruce AND Rod AND the other great talents will tell you that it was no one person who created that magic. They did it together.

Both Mike and Quincy did genius things on their own and together and with others. What they did together.... They did together.

Let's not forget the vast number of people who think that Quincy Jones wrote all of MJ's material and that "Michael wouldn't be anything without Quincy." That is a very common perception amongst casual fans and non-fans.

Many people don't know what a producer's role is and think Quincy was the man pulling the strings on the whole MJ phenomenon. To say that Quincy had no role in Mike's legendary music and albums is every bit as wrong as those who think Quincy was the sole mastermind. Mike AND Quincy AND Bruce AND Rod AND the other great talents will tell you that it was no one person who created that magic. They did it together.

Both Mike and Quincy did genius things on their own and together and with others. What they did together.... They did together.

I totally agree.
The fact he said such stupid things about MJ so many time :)doh:) doesn't change the fact that he did a great job as a producer.
That is also why his saying that MJ wasn't really that big just after his death was such a disrespectful and ignorant statement :mello:

I'm in two minds about Quincey. On one hand I cannot shrug off his success. He's a phenomenally talented composer and producer and has had so much success. But I just cannot forget the horrible things he said after Michael passed. They were horrible and I find it hard to forgive him for what he said.

Michael and Q have a lot of 'history' between them - the good times they shared in the studio have been talked about, the bad times and their disagreements have been largely private. Q would likely have found it near impossible to forgive mike for walking off with the multitracks midway through an album that Q was contracted to produce and deliver.

Back