Quincy Jones talks Michael Jackson with Roger Friedman (video)

respect77;3087520 said:
So Quincy can't tell? Didn't that Estate statement claim he was one of those ex-producers of MJ who said for sure it's him. Seems like the Estate were lying. Just like we expected.

Estate's statement didn't mention Quincy Jones at all. They never claimed anything about Quincy. How hard is it to read it again before calling people liars.

Six of Michael’s former producers and engineers who had worked with Michael over the past 30 years - Bruce Swedien, Matt Forger, Stewart Brawley, Michael Prince, Dr. Freeze and Teddy Riley - were all invited to a listening session to hear the raw vocals of the Cascio tracks in question. All of these persons listened to the a cappella versions of the vocals on the Cascio tracks being considered for inclusion on the album, so they could give an opinion as to whether or not the lead vocals were sung by Michael. They all confirmed that the vocal was definitely Michael.

Michael’s musical director and piano player on many of his records over a 20-year period, Greg Phillinganes, played on a Cascio track being produced for the album, and said the voice was definitely Michael’s. Dorian Holley, who was Michael’s vocal director for his solo tours for 20 plus years (including the O2 Concert Tour) and is seen in the This Is It film, listened to the Cascio tracks and told me the lead vocal was Michael Jackson.

thanks for typin it up.. didnt feel like watchin the whole vid!

-Dal

Think its funny that quincy can admit he doesn't know yet others are insisting they know its not yet they've never been in the studio with mj. I think people should just admit they are expressing their belief. Nott factsI

Damn Roger do u worked for the Casio's? LMAO Give it up already! It shouldn't be that hard to say it's MJ period! The more they try the harder they fail!

Q wasn't even sure if that was MJs voice and he did The Wiz Soundtrack, Off The Wall, ET, Thriller, We are the world and Bad that all had MJ vocals on them! It says a lot about BN! BN being a "stacked" song isn't even the beginning of the whole story with that song! SMH

I stil defer to michaels more recent producers about the track and what I hear when I listen to the songI

Think its funny that quincy can admit he doesn't know yet others are insisting they know its not yet they've never been in the studio with mj. I think people should just admit they are expressing their belief. Nott factsI

can you express that same enthusiasm for the people that insist that it IS MJ?

Both sides should cut it out. I'm sick of seeing people trying to push the "fake vocals" thing as a fact, and vice versa. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it seems some of us are trying to push our opinion on to others as well, which isn't fair at all.

now he says that after doggin him in 05 and after his death and havin nerve 2say mike wasnt that talented...bullshit. he can eat it. And after WATW25 and this new PYT we all KNOW the driving force and talents behind Otw-BAD and it aint QJ

I remember strange things being said by Quincy, concerning Michael's vitiligo. But apart from that, did he say more negative things? Wasn't aware of that.

What is meant with stacked though?

- nothing much to think. not once the family thank me for doing what I did ... not once nobod

that's the best I can do. hope it helps.

The family dont have to thank him at all! he should be thanking michael, not the other way round

So Quincy can't tell? Didn't that Estate statement claim he was one of those ex-producers of MJ who said for sure it's him. Seems like the Estate were lying. Just like we expected.

Can you provide the exact quote from the estate?

thx

objectively speaking, no matter what we think of quincy, he had great talent, and he can't feel breaking news, according to that video,
which is in stark contrast to what sony/cascios and 'forensic musicologists said that quincy said.
at the same time quincy acknowledges that Michael was a great songwriter and artist, who believed in quincy, when nobody else would on the off the wall and thriller projects. it's astounding what people won't believe, despite the fact that the evidence is in front of their faces.

Jones does eat elegantly, imo. lol. he's showing his wealth and appreciation of fine cuisine mixed with his roots.

i believe roger freidman and harvey levin exemplify the world, when it comes to Michael. covetousness and disrespect, combined, which is why we never have to worry about MJ's legacy.

Again, can you link me to the exact quote?

Unless, you are referring to a different Quincy interview, he seems to say he can't say because of the stacking...Are you running with the "stacking" part to support your personal belief that BN is fake?

Anyway, looking forward to reading your estate/Sony quote.

OT

I still classify Quincy as a senile man...even though he got browny points for calling Joe Jackson a liar (I'd go further and say I think Joe isn't the only one...but I digress)

What is meant with stacked though?

see my this previous post

and I also checked with one of my musician friends and apparently I was right about "stacked". My friend told me that stacked means the mixing of the vocals with lower and higher notes and in some instances even doubling them to make it sound richer. Stacked means several vocal - background vocal tracks and harmonies mixed together. He's not describing acapella, I don't think he listened to it.

According what I'm told "stacking" is when you take all the vocal tracks (lead, background, harmonies etc) that you recorded and combine them together - in other words "stack" those different vocals on the top of the other. Hence according to my friend it refers to multiple vocal tracks combined and not a single vocal track.

thx

Again, can you link me to the exact quote?

Unless, you are referring to a different Quincy interview, he seems to say he can't say because of the stacking...Are you running with the "stacking" part to support your personal belief that BN is fake?

Anyway, looking forward to reading your estate/Sony quote.

OT

I still classify Quincy as a senile man...even though he got browny points for calling Joe Jackson a liar (I'd go further and say I think Joe isn't the only one...but I digress)

for now, i'm tired, and Ivy already addressed me about that, and i responded to her. aside from that, not that i ever heard, or had to deal with a stacked MJ recording in the past, nor did i have to think about any recording i've listened to of MJ in the past, and i have a copy of album credits that were taken down from the site that don't list MJ as a vocalist, on this song..

and whatever one might think of Jones, he has an ear and suddenly he has to think about who is on a song?

are you passing over Roger Friedman listening to the same stacked track and claiming that it's definitely MJ on it?

Last edited:
He's senile because you don't agree with some of his views?

I have declared him senile since 2007...Check his past interviews and judge for yourself...then take a listen to WATW 25 and PYT.

he still get browny points for the Joe Jackson quote though...that is the most I can do when it comes to Q.

Quincy didn't produce the tracks on Soul Bossa Nostra.

Yes, WATW 25 is not a very good song, but that doesn't mean he's senile. I get that you're probably not totally serious and saying he's literally senile, but I don't think we should discredit this interview because a couple of disappointing tracks.

I don't remember Quincy's name being mentioned on the estate statement plus to me he sounds like he listened to the online version (as he says stacked) and not the raw vocal tracks.

the raw vocal tracks (accapella) is 'stacked' - there is no 'unstacked' accapella in existence according to the cascios

My take on this - RF is being paid by sony to 'ameliorate' the dissident fan problem in exactly the same way that Sony employed Raffles on a consultant basis to help 'manage' the TINI problem.

Re Stacked Vocals: Lead Vocals are normally recorded one take per track on a multitrack recorder - in other words each take is distinct and discreet and can be listened to in total isolation without FX.

These individual takes are then 'comped' or composited into a master lead vocal track which can also be listened to on it's own without fx and in complete isolation.

What you hear on the BN accapella is an awful (both from a technical and tech-aesthetic perspective) compilation of all the vocal tracks mishmashed into one. Whoever assembled that comp either didn't care about the quality of the comp or wanted to confuse/disguise the component parts of the comp. Either way it's a scandalously shameful standard of work. My cat could edit and comp better than that!

I fiond Quincy's silence quite telling - and his remarks about the way Michael the album has been 'assembled' quite damning.

Meanwhile, why all the hate on Q? he's got a track record as long or longer than pretty much any arranger/producer/composer on the planet - give the guy the credit he's worked a lifetime for fer chrissakes

Last edited:
Superstition;3087341 said:
Quincy says he can't tell. That says it all for me...

Quincy probably listened to the song and not the a capella. And he’s right, in the song it is hard to tell.

The a capella reveals the vocals are MJ.

Why is Quincy's word on listening to the complete track more proof than Riley who listened to the a capella over and over and over and over, 1,000 times while producing the track??

Fentman;3088104 said:
Quincy probably listened to the song and not the a capella. And he’s right, in the song it is hard to tell.

The a capella reveals the vocals are MJ.

Why is Quincy's word on listening to the complete track more proof than Riley who listened to the a capella over and over and over and over, 1,000 times while producing the track??

maybe because money has a funny habit of clouding one's judgement?
Besides, Teddy would have been hard pushed to listen to the track more than 100 times given that he says he did the whole thing in less than five hours

thx

Oh sorry. It was Dominic Cascio who claimed Quincy Jones said it was Michael. (Just take a look at your own thread about it!) Then it's him who is lying. It doesn't make the Cascio defence much stronger.

BTW, anyone who watched this interview can tell how biased Friedman is when it comes to the Cascio tracks. The amount of leading questions were ridiculous. Too bad for him that not even so he was able to get Quincy say it was Michael on BN.

Oh sorry. It was Dominic Cascio who claimed Quincy Jones said it was Michael. (Just take a look at your own thread about it!) Then it's him who is lying. It doesn't make the Cascio defence much stronger.

BTW, anyone who watched this interview can tell how biased Friedman is when it comes to the Cascio tracks. The amount of leading questions were ridiculous. Too bad for him that not even so he was able to get Quincy say it was Michael on BN.

He also didn't say it wasn't him on BN. So... RF should just try to stay neutral and write on his scoops. He's taking this way too personally.

"His family didn't have a clue what he did in the studio"
That quote stands out to me and I am not sure why...:scratch:

Kitty10;3087480 said:
The family never thanked him? Why should the family thank him? Did Frank Sinatra's family thank him? Is there anyone who worked with Michael who isn't whining that they didn't get enough money or recognition?

This is not in defense of Quincy Jones,
But when Joe Jackson says he was in the studio all the time, and the family
taking all the credit for Michael, is disgusting cause all the hard work was done
when Quincy which Michael himself said,
Michael sings, Quincy says is perfect but can we do just another one,
and they kept on doing that until 7 in the morning,
Now come and tell me why the family is stealing all the credit.
Quincy quietly sits and eat his food.

At least when those leeches go out in the media and taking all Michael´s credit
a thank you from the family should have been issued to Quincy for helping Michael to reach his goal.

Back