Quincy Jones talks Michael Jackson with Roger Friedman (video)

Can somebody please give us some hint on what this man is saying?
I can't hardly understand a thing with all the food he's got in his mouth (sorry, but that is so disgusting to me... not his fault, but mines... I guess :puke:).

Can somebody please give us some hint on what this man is saying?
I can't hardly understand a thing with all the food he's got in his mouth (sorry, but that is so disgusting to me... not his fault, but mines... I guess :puke:).

Yes... And it is lack of education eating with his mouth full. Quincy does not seem to be comfortable.

not word by word

Q = did you heard new tracks?

- I heard about them somebody asked me ... to identify them

Q= did you heard breaking news?

- yeah they played that for me

Q= sounds like Michael

- how can you tell though sounds stacked up.

Q= melody is Michaelish

- hi -himm

- ... I can't tell there's too many stacks on. It could be I don't know.

Q= there's been a lot of controversy

- when you stack a voice that much it's hard to tell ....

some talk about sauces

- his family doesn't have a clue what we did in the studio ...

Q = Joe Jackson says that he was always in the studio

- he's a liar

Q= what do you think of Joe?

- I take the fifth. what do you think of him?

Q= I don't think much of him

- nothing much to think. not once the family thank me for doing what I did ... not once nobody

Q= Did Michael thank you.

- of course. Michael knows what happened though

- company didn't want me to do it in the beginning

Q= They thought you were too jazzy

- He started on the "Wiz" and said I'm going to do my solo album help me find producers. (I said) Michael I don't want to talk about it, right now we got a picture and that's what they shoot for and you really have to be on target. everything is ... these are great directors. I didn't really wanted to do the "Wiz" (talks about how he became involved with Wiz)

Q= was Michael a good songwriter?

- God yes. That don't stop till you got enough is .... (talks about art and how he arranged the songs).

- Brad? and I were smoking cigarettes .. at the end of the tape I hear this (hums human nature melody). we already had thriller and billie jean ... had him lay it live? pyt, human nature and beat it. I said I wanted ... black rock n roll. it's what it is anyway. and he selected the song with all the voices? on so we went to his house at Hayvenhurst ... put the voices? on we waited in the hall and that's it. .... when you got a song like Billie Jean just like a monster? with 3 chords on it and then you have this kaleidescope of colors, harmonic information? it's astounding. One producer should do an album. We started the whole thing with multiple producers but one producer should do it. It's like a film director it is. You have to design the whole piece .. what follows what proceeds.

Q= African thing on Wanne be starting something?

- Michael came up with it.

Q= Man in the mirror

- It's on Bad. .. Little ballad.

- It's a process. It's a never ending process. you have to use .... judgement. a lot of love a lot of trust. When you tell to artists like Frank Sinatra to Ray Charles to jump without a net you better know what you're talking about. they don't play man. I was ready for ... I've been doing this since I'm 13. You better have it together because they are watching like a hawk. ....

that's the best I can do. hope it helps.

objectively speaking, no matter what we think of quincy, he had great talent, and he can't feel breaking news, according to that video, which is in stark contrast to what sony/cascios and 'forensic musicologists said that quincy said. at the same time quincy acknowledges that Michael was a great songwriter and artist, who believed in quincy, when nobody else would on the off the wall and thriller projects. it's astounding what people won't believe, despite the fact that the evidence is in front of their faces.

Jones does eat elegantly, imo. lol. he's showing his wealth and appreciation of fine cuisine mixed with his roots.

i believe roger freidman and harvey levin exemplify the world, when it comes to Michael. covetousness and disrespect, combined, which is why we never have to worry about MJ's legacy.

Last edited:
objectively speaking, no matter what we think of quincy, he had great talent, and he can't feel breaking news, according to that video, which is in stark contrast to what sony/cascios and 'forensic musicologists said that quincy said. at the same time quincy acknowledges that Michael was a great songwriter and artist, who believed in quincy, when nobody else would on the off the wall and thriller projects. it's astounding what people won't believe, despite the fact that the evidence is in front of their faces.

Jones does eat elegantly, imo. lol. he's showing his wealth and appreciation of fine cuisine mixed with his roots.

now he says that after doggin him in 05 and after his death and havin nerve 2say mike wasnt that talented...bullshit. he can eat it. And after WATW25 and this new PYT we all KNOW the driving force and talents behind Otw-BAD and it aint QJ

not word by word only Quincy

- I heard about them somebody asked me ... to identify them

- yeah they played that for me

- how can you tell though sounds stacked up.

- hi -himm

- ... I can't tell there's too many stacks on. It could be I don't know.

- when you stack a voice that much it's hard to tell ....

- his family doesn't have a clue what we did in the studio ...

- he's a liar

- I take the fifth. what do you think of him?

- nothing much to think. not once the family thank me for doing what I did ... not once nobody

- of course. Michael knows what happened though

-

will update as I listen

Thanks for the post, Ivy. Who did Quincy say was lying and what is it that he wants to be thanked for now?

now he says that after doggin him in 05 and after his death and havin nerve 2say mike wasnt that talented...bullshit. he can eat it. And after WATW25 and this new PYT we all KNOW the driving force and talents behind Otw-BAD and it aint QJ

my keyword was 'was'. i don't know that quincy has it anymore. i know Michael had a genius talent for being a producer's producer..able to bring out the best in everyone, including jones. hell..MJ brought out the best in gordy, without writing a note, and he was just a little boy. MJ said, when he was a boy, that he knew what sounded good, and he was right. here, jones doesn't approve of Michael's father. indeed Michael was the golden child. able to eat the fish and throw away the bones, and bring out the magic, concerning everyone in his life. when he left the room, so did the magic.

my keyword was 'was'. i don't know that quincy has it anymore. i know Michael had a genius talent for being a producer's producer..able to bring out the best in everyone, including jones. hell..MJ brought out the best in gordy, without writing a note, and he was just a little boy. MJ said, when he was a boy, that he knew what sounded good, and he was right. here, jones doesn't approve of Michael's father. indeed Michael was the golden child. able to eat the fish and throw away the bones, and bring out the magic, concerning everyone in his life. when he left the room, so did the magic.

So in other words u agree. Michael was the driving force QJ was the puppet who was touched by the magic and now that the magic has left earth we have the horrid products of the pyt,WATW and that el debarge remake...so sad. Tis all.

who is a liar?

Thanks for the post, Ivy. Who did Quincy say was lying and what is it that he wants to be thanked for now?

finished it now and I added the questions as well so it should be clearer I think.

He says Joe is lying as he said he was always in the studio when Michael was recording and he says no one from the Jackson family ever thanked him for his work with Michael.

I thought RF stuff wasn't suppose to be posted here?

It's actually a video that we can see - not a story he writes - plus the main point is Quincy's comments so I think it's okay.

he can't feel breaking news, according to that video, which is in stark contrast to what sony/cascios and 'forensic musicologists said that quincy said.

I don't remember Quincy's name being mentioned on the estate statement plus to me he sounds like he listened to the online version (as he says stacked) and not the raw vocal tracks.

So, Quincy was one of the people that was asked to identify the authenticity of the tracks. Hence, why the Cascios mentioned him. But since he "couldn't tell", his view was left out of the official statement from the estate as well.

And, is it just me, or is Roger Friedman really trying to convince Quincy that Michael is on the tracks? Continually emphasising of how Michaelish the controversial song sounds, pointing out signature melodies and such? Quite surprising, coming from RF.

I don't remember Quincy's name being mentioned on the estate statement plus to me he sounds like he listened to the online version (as he says stacked) and not the raw vocal tracks.

he says he was asked. secondly, it can't make a difference if you are a producer with the cred of Jones, no matter what we think of him, however his success came, it still is success..and he says he can't tell. the estate said these people listened to acapella...but, i have my doubts. Jones infuses reasonable doubt. as in the court of law..to me..that resonates..

everybody here, and at sony and the estate speaks about how theworld associates Michael' s pinnacle success wth working with Jones..now they ignore the jones part of the equation because it doesn't suit them, when it comes to matters like these?

So, Quincy was one of the people that was asked to identify the authenticity of the tracks. Hence, why the Cascios mentioned him. But since he "couldn't tell", his view was left out of the official statement from the estate as well.

And, is it just me, or is Roger Friedman really trying to convince Quincy that Michael is on the tracks? Continually emphasising of how Michaelish the controversial song sounds, pointing out signature melodies and such? Quite surprising, coming from RF.

i agree...totally.

Last edited:
he says somebody, it could be a fan. (why would he refer to the estate/ McClain / Sony as somebody?) I even emailed and asked Bruce Swedien. A lot of fans are asking people that knew Michael about their opinions on the song.

and I also checked with one of my musician friends and apparently I was right about "stacked". My friend told me that stacked means the mixing of the vocals with lower and higher notes and in some instances even doubling them to make it sound richer. Stacked means several vocal - background vocal tracks and harmonies mixed together. He's not describing acapella, I don't think he listened to it.

anyway we already know that there's at least 2 vocals on breaking news.

Well, unless they put the acapella on the album, all we have to go by is what was on the website. And if that's not representative of what's going to be on the album, they shouldn't have streamed it at all.

he says somebody, it could be a fan. I even emailed and asked Bruce Swedien.

and I also checked with one of my musician friend and apparently I was right about "stacked". My friend told me that stacked means the mixing of the vocals with lower and higher notes and in some instances even doubling them to make it sound richer. Stacked means that there are several vocal - background vocal tracks and harmonies mixed together. It's not the acapella that he listened.

i

but jones still has an ear.

there was never any need for listening to acapella before MJ died.

to me...as long as we are not dealing with autotune, i don't know why listening to acapella is necessary.

as far as jones saying 'somebody..who knows either way? jones strikes me as somebody who won't give you a second look unless you really make an impact. somebody said 'hi' to him, while he was talking in the video and jones looked and didn't return the greeting, looked back to rf and never disturbed the flow of his conversation.

doubt is planted

Thanks again, Ivy, for the posting.

People shouldn't be reading too much into QJ's statement about the song because he said he couldn't tell but also why he couldn't tell; in other words he didn't flat out say that those are not Michael's vocals so people shouldn't take it as such.

Thanks again, Ivy, for the posting.

People shouldn't be reading too much into QJ's statement about the song because he said he couldn't tell but also why he couldn't tell; in other words he didn't flat out say that those are not Michael's vocals so people shouldn't take it as such.

it's not possible to read into. saying it's definitely Michael, or not, or not sure, are all opinions, coming from experts. opinions....experts.

some used, some not asked.

The family never thanked him? Why should the family thank him? Did Frank Sinatra's family thank him? Is there anyone who worked with Michael who isn't whining that they didn't get enough money or recognition?

I don't think anyone is reading that much into this. He's asked if its Michael Jackson on Breaking News, and Quincy never gives an affirmative answer. At best, he says "It could be". That's not very promising to me. If I have a doubt about a track, and someone who had as close a working relationship to Michael Jackson as Quincy can only say "It could be", that's not a good sign.

Plus, I was interested in the opinions of people without any attachment to this album. We got one.. and it wasn't very positive.

So Quincy can't tell? Didn't that Estate statement claim he was one of those ex-producers of MJ who said for sure it's him. Seems like the Estate were lying. Just like we expected.

The family never thanked him? Why should the family thank him? Did Frank Sinatra's family thank him? Is there anyone who worked with Michael who isn't whining that they didn't get enough money or recognition?

My thoughts exactly.... Thank him for what? he should thank them for bringing MJ in this world so he had a part in the best allbum ever. Quincy is a egotistical pig...

It's not surprising if you know his history about these Cascio tracks. He was the one who first reported about them and he is so proud and protective of them as if they were his own. :smilerolleyes:

Back