Paul Anka Claims 'This is It' is a Rip-Off

This is the fault of Sony. Michael isn't even here and he's getting the blame!!!!!!!!

Paul never said that Michael stole the song. He said they "stole" the tapes. Michael sent one of his people to pick up the tapes from Paul's studio.
It's the media who are mixing it up and making it look bad.
and nice you believe it, so some write they some say HE.

Paul never said that Michael stole the song. He said they "stole" the tapes. Michael sent one of his people to pick up the tapes from Paul's studio.
It's the media who are mixing it up and making it look bad.

Check the VERY FIRST ANKA video on TMZ. He clearly said MJ STOLE his song.

Than go on the New York Times site, he is quoted as saying MJ stole from him.

He changed it to "THEY" in the last interview he gave to TMZ, after they gave him 50% of the song's rights.

Check the VERY FIRST ANKA video on TMZ. He clearly said MJ STOLE his song.

Than go on the New York Times site, he is quoted as saying MJ stole from him.

He changed it to "THEY" in the last interview he gave to TMZ, after they gave him 50% of the song's rights.

He said stole the tapes, not stole the song. Big difference. Also he meant "stole" as in took without notifying Paul. Paul co-wrote the song so he might have wanted a copy as well. And he didn't do it personally, he sent someone to pick it up on his behalf. That's why it's he/they.

"Anything for money...anything, anything"

That's right, grab a piece of "Michael Jackson", slap a lawsuit on it, and carry on just as before. Nothing's changed.

God, why can't they just SEE?!

Paul also said John McClain told him, "Now we know why the song was so good ... it wasn't the type of Michael Jackson song that he could write."

That quote just wrecks my nerves...

I really wish they would have a press conference and a few knowledgeable MJ fans could attend and set the whole damn lot of them straight... We the fans don't even have access to all the "inside" info but yet we can still figure out sh*t that Sony/Branca/McClain couldn't figure out..

Last edited:

That's right, grab a piece of "Michael Jackson", slap a lawsuit on it, and carry on just as before. Nothing's changed.

Anka has a right to recieve money from his own song. If MJ's estate didn't give a cut to Anka, they would be steating from Anka.

I for one, dislike anything TMZ. Vultures.

Anyways, its unfortunate this happened. Mmm.. oh well. :/

This is the fault of Sony. Michael isn't even here and he's getting the blame!!!!!!!!
what do u exepct, everythings mikes fault

That quote just wrecks my nerves....

Yeah, it's a horrible statement, especially coming from Mike's camp... especially as the VAST majority of fans believe that MJ's vocal talent is what makes an otherwise average song great.

I really wish they would have a press conference and a few knowledgeable MJ fans could attend and set the whole damn lot of them straight... We the fans don't even have access to all the "inside" info but yet we can still figure out sh*t that Sony/Branca/McClain couldn't figure out..

:clapping::clapping:

lack of common sense makes people unable to see the simplest facts. :doh:

Anka has a right to recieve money from his own song. If MJ's estate didn't give a cut to Anka, they would be steating from Anka.

first, his OWN would apply to a song HE wrote.. NOT co-wrote.

But I agree.... he should get a cut. NO ONE IS SAYING that he shouldn't get a cut.

me too and I can't get it out of my head, I'm in a very bad mood :tickingtimebomb

Yes thats a great idea

People are saying Michael ripped the song from Safire, how the heck is that possible when Michael clearly recorded this song in the 80's and Safire sang it 1991? I hate media, they love twisting things up to make Michael look bad.

If Michael where alive, the facts would have been right from the beginning. This song was probably found in his audio vault with no documentation and how could anyone know if a co-writer existed or who it was.

It would be impossible to know about a co-writer in a case like this. Just glad that all are happy now. No harm no foul !!

Guys, this is a matter for the estate attorneys and Paul Anka to resolve. They seem to be reaching an amicable agreement, despite the bad publicity. Michael did NOT choose this song. It's an OLD song, anyway. Sony reps looked through many pieces of music and found the "This is It" song. The title matched the film, so they selected it, but obviously without knowing the history? I'm sure this will be resolved, and we'll just have to weather the bad PR. OK?

He said stole the tapes, not stole the song. Big difference. Also he meant "stole" as in took without notifying Paul. Paul co-wrote the song so he might have wanted a copy as well. And he didn't do it personally, he sent someone to pick it up on his behalf. That's why it's he/they.

He said, he got bigheaded and stole the tapes. Isn't that just as bad?

I dont disagree with what Paul W. Anka is asking for, but there is a way to go about it

He is entitled to 50% for that song, fair enough.

But speak to the estate, dont go bad mouthing a dead man that can't defend himself

People are saying Michael ripped the song from Safire, how the heck is that possible when Michael clearly recorded this song in the 80's and Safire sang it 1991? I hate media, they love twisting things up to make Michael look bad.

once again another thing to wreck my nerves. can't rip stuff from an artist that you f'n gave them to sing... and mj f'n co wrote the song.....

um where is safire's career right now???

This is simply a DISASTER.

I cannot believe they are reporting MJ stole a freaking song he co-wrote. And now, ABC is askign if people like the original (aka Sa Fire) version better.

WHAT A FREAKING JOKE!!!

exactly Tom.. give him his credit on the song, but there was no need for him to some out chatting to TMZ and other outlets to say MJ took something and imply something shady went down on MJ's part...

As always.. They manage to make everyone look like Michaels fault.. Making Michael look like the fool... As always.. Why am I not surprised.. Nothing has changed.

As always.. They manage to make everyone look like Michaels fault.. Making Michael look like the fool... As always.. Why am I not surprised.. Nothing has changed.

yea, cuz it always Mike's fault:smilerolleyes:

I dont disagree with what Paul W. Anka is asking for, but there is a way to go about it

He is entitled to 50% for that song, fair enough.

But speak to the estate, dont go bad mouthing a dead man that can't defend himself

Exactly!!! Paul Wanka is acting like such a f*ckwad over this. He could have taken the NORMAL way of doing this - by having his lawyers straighten it out QUIETLY.

But here's a message to Paul Anka, from Florida:

I always believed if you write a song alone and composed it alone, you get all the money and the publishing and copyrights but if you co-wrote a song with someone,Yes both should have a copy of the song so they can go home and tweak it and return with the changes so they can come to an agreement before copywriting and publishing it. Being that the song was concieved in 1983,If Anka has this copy and he suddenly hears this song eventhough some of the lyrics have been changed but the music sounds simular,I think Anka does get the cash. 50%?,you know he's getting half the gravy since this has been discovered, As far as Michael stealing the tapes,I wonder ? I mean,I don't believe that Michael would steal anything,Songwise or otherwise. I know somepeople in my lifetime would do that so they could get the glory by trying to out smart a friend who helped you write the song.You know what they say about that,and not you snooze you lose.This song is not Mike's feel if he wanted to put it out himself, It should go to Babs Striesand or any contemporary singer at the time. It's not really an R&B feel.And what I'm hearing is a demo as usual and you know some of his demos are not completed or the lyrics are not sung the way he wanted it like a rough draft aka DSTYGE.Working Day And Night, Fall Again Ect.. and you can hardly hear what are the real lyrics before he records the master. SONY should have putout another song because if the song "THIS IS IT" was to be on the setlist for The Concerts at the O2 and wherever was next ,then I can see why "THIS IS IT" Should be put on the New Collectable CD. The song "THIS IS IT" is good but how did I know the Jackson brothers were to put their background voices on the song. Man. I mean if Michael was to ask his bros if they would put their voices on the song,I guess that's the way the song would have been presented,maybe it would have been on The Victory Album if the song was polished the way Michael wanted the song to be heard but you know Michael could do his own background vocals and he would put his own touches on the song with Anka's blessing but the Jackson Bros did it after Michael died. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.,It's all SONY and They should be very careful when they put out a song of Michael's that is either written by Michael or he co-wrote a song with someone else,therefore Michael's estate would not have been sued in this way.SONY IS EMBARRASSING THEMSELVES, NOT MICHAEL"S FAMILY. THE JOKE IS ON THEM. It seems that Michael,either deceased or alive just can't get away from lawsuits,even if the lawsuits are legit.

You know what I hate so much about this situation? Just like is said before; they make it look like it's Mike's fault again. I SO HATE THAT! WHY?! This wasn't his choice, he didn't want it...the man is gone, why does the media still makes up stories as if it was HIS choice?:angry:

I'm getting so freakin' mad......AAAAAAAAAAARGH!
Fuck Sony, fuck the press.....I just can't take this, I feel so powerless for him.:cry:

This wasn't his choice, he didn't want it...the man is gone, why does the media still makes up stories as if it was HIS choice?:angry:

I'm getting so freakin' mad......AAAAAAAAAAARGH!
Fuck Sony, fuck the press.....I just can't take this, I feel so powerless for him.:cry:

I know how you feel.. It's All SONY'S FAULT.
SONY REALLY SUCKS BIGTIME. I wonder what else they intend for Michael to fail at since Michael's spirit is somewhere annoyed and he's somehow rolling over in his casket pissed ?:(:no:

I wonder if he was somewhere alive(wishful thinking but I know he's gone) what he would say about this whole mess?

I know how you feel.. It's All SONY'S FAULT.
SONY REALLY SUCKS BIGTIME. I wonder what else they intend for Michael to fail at since Michael's spirit is somewhere annoyed and he's somehow rolling over in his casket pissed ?:(:no:

I wonder if he was somewhere alive(wishful thinking but I know he's gone) what he would say about this whole mess?
I bet he would be very annoyed, but this wouldn't happen in the first place cuz Michael had STYLE. He brought out numbers and albums very carefully and well-thought and he would never just drop a demo as a single like that. :doh:

It's just that what I was so afraid for.....that his whole unique style of Michael will be destroyed because they are gonna drop singles and albums just on a regular base and whatever seems cashing-in.
Now the media got enough to bitch about because hey, a demo doesn't sound 'good'! And that's alllll Michael's fault!
People will really be thinking like that cuz 80% of them are so stupid they actually believe it....even though they know he's gone 'it might have been his choice or whatsoever'. They can twist the stories so good.
Seriously....THINK, people? Where did intelligence go? Guess it died with Mike. :(

Be very prepared that anyother singles for now on will put Michael in a bad light but Maybe if more people complain about it to SONY ,maybe they would straighten up and fly right if we hear songs that are more Michael's style. I know he does have a couple of songs outhere that he has given to other artist and I also know that there might be Demos of these songs but I also would like to hear New Material he did up to the time of his untimely death. I feel any new song from that period will make everything great in a better light than old material that he had stated that he could put out at any given time. You have to wonder how many more songs he was suppose to do for The O2 concerts because that was just half the songlist.Maybe that's the way he wanted it. I'm not sure.

So does this mean that if Sony have already printed out the OST booklets, that they credit TII solely to MJ? Will they have to reprint?

Wouldn't be the first time the booklet credits the wrong people, the PYT remix using MJ's original demo on Thriller 25 credited the writer's of the finished (and complelety different) song.

Back