Ne-Yo covered Lady in My Life for his new album

It's a cover song
Not vocal competition
and Ne_Yo does it beautifully
no one said he was Michael or trying to be Michael
He loves Michael and is a great fan and so why shouldnt
he do a song of someone he admires as an artist.
GREAT Work Ne-Yo

Last edited:
I get a real kick out of watching other artists and bands play Michael's music. I love to watch the way they get down, and how they copy MJ's mannerisms and sounds. I love the way the audience get SO excited when they hear the first cord and recognise the beat. in fact, it is almost a must do now at many concerts to do an MJ number. A band I have been watching on utube for a while was just posted on one of our news thread, because they were becoming famous, mainly because they play Beat it. So yea, they get real popular by doing MJ, so MJ has become a must. I believe that was what happened to fOBs too.
I love it. It has become my favourite passtime on utube.

If you dont do an MJ cover or tribute
Then you ain't NOBODY :) give props to the King

Last edited:
:puke: Michael's just one of those artists who shouldn't be covered, lol. His timing and phrasing is just too distinctive.

Last edited:
No I don't, cause Ne-Yo isn't world class. I'm not underestimating sh*t. I just have high standards and apparently, you don't. Ne-Yo's voice ISN'T even a fraction as good as Michael's and if you don't know that, then you don't know much about singing. Ne-Yo's voice is passable and good enough to make the songs work, that's about it.

Look wannabe, I'm not interested in arguing with your 5 dollar ass today. I've been here before with you (remember MJNO?). All I'm saying is you DON'T have to be a five-star, "world class" (whatever that means) superstar in order to cover a Michael Jackson song. Because every couple of months a young star like Usher, or Justin Timberlake, or Chris Brown, or Ne-Yo pays homage to MJ with a song or a performance, and a thread like this one get's started. And the usual ensures: half of fans bitch, complain, & lose their marbles and the other half is mature enough to know that they're just harmless tribute's to the King of Pop.
Guess which category you fit into?
I'm going to respect the MJJC forum rules and end this so-called argument. Because if this continues, I'm gonna hurt more than just your feelings, and somebody's gonna get banned.
Peace.

Hollaback.

Look wannabe, I'm not interested in arguing with your 5 dollar ass today. I've been here before with you (remember MJNO?). All I'm saying is you DON'T have to be a five-star, "world class" (whatever that means) superstar in order to cover a Michael Jackson song. Because every couple of months a young star like Usher, or Justin Timberlake, or Chris Brown, or Ne-Yo pays homage to MJ with a song or a performance, and a thread like this one get's started. And the usual ensures: half of fans bitch, complain, & lose their marbles and the other half is mature enough to know that they're just harmless tribute's to the King of Pop.
Guess which category you fit into?
I'm going to respect the MJJC forum rules and end this so-called argument. Because if this continues, I'm gonna hurt more than just your feelings, and somebody's gonna get banned.
Peace.

Hollaback.

lol. Major dork. I was only on MJNO for a couple weeks when this board was down and I don't recall ever speaking with YOUR ass. All I recall is some absurd argument you and I had on this board over Chris Brown in which you were reduced to hurling personal attacks because you couldn't get it together to actually make a point. Come on man, why don't you actually say something of substance instead of trying to insult me with your crude and crass remarks?

All I'M saying is, what's the point in hearing an average singer cover a song when it's already been done by a world class (meaning competitive with the elite in the world!) vocalist.

Last edited:
There is really no need for people to get angry up here. We just need to learn to handle disagreements respectfully. Agree to disagree and leave it.

Oh I would, but eveytime I say something this person disagrees with, instead of just saying they disagree respectfully and saying why, they come at me cursing and talking down to me like I'm a moron. It's hard to stay civil when the person you're talking to doesn't have an ounce of civility in them.

Those who are so blidnly happy about this, really must not understand the impact it has on the original song...

Yes as far as Neyo is concerned, ya he will be paying homage etc.. But it does have negitive effects on Michael and HIS song...

Watch the effect it has on people.. Those who hear Neyos version before ever hearing Michaels version will wind up saying things like.. "Neyo's version washes Michaels version out the water." etc.. Watch, and you will see it.. It will be more appearent to you now that we have youtube and stuff. READ the comments when it's released.

IN MOST CASES.. People fall in love with the version they hear first...

Just like Movie remakes.. Those who watch the original film when it was released usually never feel like the NEW remake lived up to the original.. BUt all the 'newbies' think it's the best thing, and thinks it's much better than that old @$$ movie..

It has very simular reaction.........

^ mate i don't know if it's personal experience that has brought you to this unfounded theory of who likes what first etc. but i'm not going to condemn an artist singing a song written by someone else (which happens to have been famous and sung before lol) just because of fan insecurities about their artist - again, unfounded.

the flaw in your worries is that those folk you're on about would not have heard The Lady In My Life in the first place and Ne-Yo has just introduced it to them LOL thank him, i say.

I'm not worried about people thinking Ne-Yo's version will be better. If they think that, then it's their problem and they should get their ears checked, lol. I just don't see the point in trying to cover this song, as I've already explained. It'll just make Ne-Yo sound bad because he'll get compared to Michael then and people will hear the difference, unless they're deaf, kind of like Chris Brown gets compared to Michael when he tries his routines. The wanna be's expose their shortcomings when they do this.

Last edited:
Those who are so blidnly happy about this, really must not understand the impact it has on the original song...

Yes as far as Neyo is concerned, ya he will be paying homage etc.. But it does have negitive effects on Michael and HIS song...

Watch the effect it has on people.. Those who hear Neyos version before ever hearing Michaels version will wind up saying things like.. "Neyo's version washes Michaels version out the water." etc.. Watch, and you will see it.. It will be more appearent to you now that we have youtube and stuff. READ the comments when it's released.

Just like Movie remakes.. Those who watch the original film when it was released usually never feel like the NEW remake lived up to the original.. BUt all the 'newbies' think it's the best thing, and thinks it's much better than that old @$$ movie..

so what are you saying ???
That people shouldnt do cover song of other Artisist
becuase someone might like it better than the original

I dont feel it will habd ANY impact on Michaels
version except to draw attention to that Michael
did it first and allow people to listen to MJ's version
who may not otherwise have heard it.

and as far as some (FEW) saying Ne-Yo's version is better
any real music lover just has to listen to Michaels awesome
vocals and adlibs to see his version will NEVER be topped _
They have been trying for yrs with no success ... No one
can do Michael or duplicate .. only try to imitate

Michael's version will ALWAYS Stand as the BEST :)
A few ne_yo fans will say they like his best
No big deal - its expected ..

Last edited:
As a fan of Michael Jackson for years I think it's nice to see new artists like Ne-Yo and Chris Brown paying tribute to him. I think they are cute.

Michael Jackson is deff, and never will be a has been. His music lives on. Imagine that. 25 years after Thriller were released those songs hasn't been so much sampled as it has the last two years. Maybe there's something to do with the 25' marking of the Thriller album, you know.

:punk:

What I'm saying is that it does have downfalls.. Not saying he should or shoudn't.. It's a good move for Ne-yo...

I was just stating something that WILL happen in result of a cover..

It always happens, it's not a theory..

Not saying EVERYONE will like Neyo's version better.. But new versions always have a cult like fallowing..

Homages are great, thats what I love. IF people think things like it being Neyo's song, or its better than Mike's, fine, they don't know. It won't make any real difference, cause ones who are smart enough to know will know that MJ's takes the cake over anyone's covers. But I guess thats just me, cuz I don't think about the negatives or the downfalls, the positive always outshines everything else.

Last edited:
What I'm saying is that it does have downfalls.. Not saying he should or shoudn't.. It's a good move for Ne-yo...

I was just stating something that WILL happen in result of a cover..

It always happens, it's not a theory..

Not saying EVERYONE will like Neyo's version better.. But new versions always have a cult like fallowing..

you seem very worried??

it won't be released as a single so only the fans and a few others will hear it.

People always love the original version.

worried about what??? no not at all lol!!

I guess, so much gets lost without word and vocal expression when you cannot actually HEAR the way I mean it..

No, I just tossed that in there as an effect.. IDK wutever.. I'm not going to even try.. I'm not worried.. lol!

Nah, MJ ain't put nothing out a new single in like five years so boredom has set in. :lol:

I say "get used to it". Even though I nag sometimes, I actually don't mind the wannabes. And I don't mind it when someone covers MJ.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea but so what, aye! :kickass:

:lol:

And besides didn't some of y'all say you think MJ doing things with young artists was gonna get him ATTENTION with the young folks? Well this is the same thing. So I guess who's calling the pot kettle black?

Hold my hand? :)

Oh great, I bet all the little teens and people in their early 20's who don't know any better, will think it's Ne-Yo's song and probably fawn over how great it is.
True, most of the kids on my school thought Fall Out Boy wrote ''Beat It''.
When ''Wanna Be Starting Something 08'' came out, people were like '' MICHAEL JACKSON STOLE RIHANNA'S MAMASEMAMASAMAMACOOSA'', like what the hell is going on ...

True, most of the kids on my school thought Fall Out Boy wrote ''Beat It''.
When ''Wanna Be Starting Something 08'' came out, people were like '' MICHAEL JACKSON STOLE RIHANNA'S MAMASEMAMASAMAMACOOSA'', like what the hell is going on ...
OMFG I hate that..,. lmfao. :hysterical::mello: I like the song, I mean I hate that people think that..

I first got into R&B/Old-School soul by listening to No Limit Records (Master P/etc.) back in the mid-late 90's. I heard the hooks and the chorus on the songs, then would be shopping for clothes and hear the originally sampled songs on the radio system. You know what? I don't like the sampled/covered songs better. I'm a HUGE D'Angelo fan, but I like Roberta Flack's version of "Feel Like Makin' Love" better than his. I heard Luther Vandross/Beyonce's version of "The Closer I Get To You" before Donny Hathaway's/Roberta Flack's, but I like the original more.

Now, maybe this is my taste and nobody else's, but without those covers/samples, I wouldn't be listening to the original artists. Same thing with MJ... I don't like some of his covers more than the original, but I got into artists like Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson because of the covers. I enjoy Stevie's version of "Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Do-Da-Day" and Smokey's version of "The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage" WWAAAAAYYYY more than I do MJ'/The J5"s, but you know what?? I like still like the covers because they were nicely done and it doesn't have to be a competition.

The song likely won't even be a single. Perhaps people who really like Ne-Yo will take time to dig around and see where the orginal version came from.

I guess I just don't see the big deal? It seems like fans want to have their cake and eat it too. They love to refer to MJ as being sampled, covered, respected, admired... but then love to down the people who do just those things. Seems like a catch-22.

Last edited:
Back