Ne-Yo covered Lady in My Life for his new album

so Teddy Riley is one of the producers? Almost ironic. He's the only one NOT being rumoured to be on Michaels album.

Not heard this yet.

Michaels cover of 'killing me softly' was breathtaking!!

Come togther was okay.

I don't see anything wrong with Ne-Yo covering MJ's song.......He's a great artist and he sang it pretty well at the BET awards....
I think we, as fans, shouldnt forget what an inspiration MJ is to other artists, who themselves are also fans. If they wish to pay MJ a tribute by covering his song, we should applaud it -because I don't think Ne-Yo ruined the song at all.....He did it pretty well....
And It's not a competition about who does it better than who. I don't think Ne-yo was trying to top MJ - He was just covering the song...and so we should also just look at it as a cover song and not a competition.

I fount so when i went on hmv and look at his new track list, i was going to post it earier but did't bother it wasnt a big deal lol.

I don't see anything wrong with Ne-Yo covering MJ's song.......He's a great artist and he sang it pretty well at the BET awards....
I think we, as fans, shouldnt forget what an inspiration MJ is to other artists, who themselves are also fans. If they wish to pay MJ a tribute by covering his song, we should applaud it -because I don't think Ne-Yo ruined the song at all.....He did it pretty well....
And It's not a competition about who does it better than who. I don't think Ne-yo was trying to top MJ - He was just covering the song...and so we should also just look at it as a cover song and not a competition.
Good point.:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Michael jackson songs will die if artists do not cover the, Beat it is kicking a..ss at the moment because it is so popular among rock bands.,

too much right now.. Unless he actually were to keep MJ vocals in it..

The only cover that mikes done i love is come together

He covered a lot of material in Motown. :huh:

Rockin' Robin was originally recorded in '58 by Bobby Day
You've Got a Friend is a Carole King song
Everybody's Somebody's Fool is a cover of a doo-wop song
With a Child's Heart is a Stevie Wonder cover

I think it's great that he covered the track. Keeps his music alive and kickin'. Now I haven't heard it yet, so I can't comment on the singin' yet, but it's still very thoughtful.

I know with a childs heart is a stevie song. I just love come together, the way mike sings it with energy.

I have been a fan 30 years i know he has covered songs, i just said the one i liked better.

And music and me is one of my fav albums

His cover of Come together is hot as hell. Now, many Lennon fans and Beatles fans don't have much love for that version, but me, I have a LOT of love for it (it has nothing to do with the Moonwalker video, I swear I swear :innocent: )

Some cover versions can be really good, while others fail badly. Janis Joplin covering Erma Franklin's "Piece of my heart". They are both great songs. And so different. I've heard when Erma first heard Janis singing the song, she didn't recognized it was actually hers song at first. Now that a good cover =)

He covered a lot of material in Motown. :huh:...
i'd be careful there mate, you may be in contempt of artistically comparing our Mikey to one of his wannabes.
shock2.gif

Ya'll didn't love "Smile"? lol. Michael's covered very few songs in his adult career anyway, so to say you only like a few of his "cover songs" sounds pretty silly, lol.

Now, people are going to say what they want. I don't look at it as a competition, I look at it as what's the point. I don't listen to songs from Ne-Yo to hear him sing, I listen to them because his songs are good, and his voice is passable enough not to make it unlistenable. I know most here probably do the same. Ne-Yo isn't someone whose record you would buy just to hear him sing, his voice isn't good enough, not nearly. That's why I said earlier that he doesn't have a standards quality voice and why he wouldn't make it as just a vocalist. Well, maybe now he would since there's no standards, but not like 15 years ago or so.

Now you want to bring Michael in to it, I can see and understand why he would do a cover of any song because he's got a world class voice and what I consider to be the best quality voice I've ever heard. I would buy an album, as would many others who know what a good singer is, just to hear him sing, whether the material was original or not.

Last edited:
"The Lady In My Life" was written for Michael too, so I don't understand the point in saying Michael didn't write it. So what? It's his song.

Michael jackson songs will die if artists do not cover the, Beat it is kicking a..ss at the moment because it is so popular among rock bands.,

Michael's song's won't die if they aren't covered by mediocre singers, lol. That's kind of insulting to Michael and the fact that he's put his voice to record, which will last as long a human kind does. They won't die, they'll just be waiting. True art never dies.

Last edited:
The more covers of a song, they more closer to death the original becomes...

Usually the first version people hear are the ones they USUALLY enjoy most.. U wont find many people that heard MJ's BEAT IT before FALL OUT BOYS's version that like theres better.. But you will find those who heard Fall Out Boy's version first saying it's better than MJ's..

Same with Smooth Criminal, and any other cover by other artists..

It's just the way it is..

I think the Beatles version is the worse version.... :)

The more covers of a song, they more closer to death the original becomes...
Usually the first version people hear are the ones they USUALLY enjoy most.. U wont find many people that heard MJ's BEAT IT before FALL OUT BOYS's version that like there's better.. But you will find those who heard Fall Out Boy's version first saying it's better than MJ's..
Same with Smooth Criminal, and any other cover by other artists..
It's just the way it is..

True. You are talking about kids. Kids that just has began listening to music. They weren't around for the Thriller, Bad, Dangerous or even the Invincible era. So it isn't odd that they haven't heard Beat it, Wanna be startin' something, etc. Kids and teens are an important marketing mechanism for new artists.

The cool thing is, if you are genuinely interested in music, when you grow a little, you learn about so many great and wonderful artists in music history that bands like Fall out boy ain't that special as they were when you were younger. Music is SO much more than that. I'm 28 and I'm still hearing "new" music from a time I wasn't even born yet.

As much as I sometimes hate when people mess with the classics, it's cool to listen to how other artists and bands are playing the song out their own way. Some suck and some don't.

Well, I guess my problem with it is I just don't see the point. Why would I want to listen to someone who's voice isn't even a fraction as good as Michael's sing one of his songs when I can just go listen to Michael sing it?

When a vocalist does a cover of another song, I can only understand it if said vocalist has a world class voice, in which case you're paying to hear that voice, on any sort of material. Ne-Yo is a talented song writer, and he's got a good enough voice to sing his own songs and I don't mind hearing his voice on his own work. But you don't buy a Ne-Yo album to hear him sing, you buy it because his songs are catchy as hell. He doesn't have a standards or cover quality voice. If a singer is going to sing a song which has already been done, I only want to hear it if that singer is going to bring something special to the recording, or somehow make it memorable vocally, and Ne-Yo isn't able to do that, especially since the original is so flawless. I just don't see the point I guess. Instead of wasting that space covering a song with an at best passable voice, he should fill it with a song he wrote.

That's the goofiest sh!t I've read all day, lol.
You don't buy a Ne-Yo album to hear Ne-Yo sing?
Really?
I don't think anybody's gonna make a trip all the way to Circuit City, buy his new cd, and then say, "Man, Ne-Yo sucks, but he can write the hell out of a song!" To be honest, Ne-Yo's voice is better than a fraction of Michael's. Don't underestimate dude like that. Not everybody who covers one of MJ's songs has to be Jesus Christ or a five-star music legend. Some of you folks here seem to think only superstars like Stevie Wonder, Whitney Houston, and Mariah Carey are worthy of covering Mike's back catalog.
You don't have to earn a shot at covering an MJ song.
That's a f#ckin' insult to todays young musician's. All you have to know how to do is sing...and Ne-Yo does that quite well.

Hollaback.

That's the goofiest sh!t I've read all day, lol.
You don't buy a Ne-Yo album to hear Ne-Yo sing?
Really?
I don't think anybody's gonna make a trip all the way to Circuit City, buy his new cd, and then say, "Man, Ne-Yo sucks, but he can write the hell out of a song!" To be honest, Ne-Yo's voice is better than a fraction of Michael's. Don't underestimate dude like that. Not everybody who covers one of MJ's songs has to be Jesus Christ or a five-star music legend. Some of you folks here seem to think only superstars like Stevie Wonder, Whitney Houston, and Mariah Carey are worthy of covering Mike's back catalog.
You don't have to earn a shot at covering an MJ song.
That's a f#ckin' insult to todays young musician's. All you have to know how to do is sing...and Ne-Yo does that quite well.

Hollaback.

No I don't, cause Ne-Yo isn't world class. I'm not underestimating sh*t. I just have high standards and apparently, you don't. Ne-Yo's voice ISN'T even a fraction as good as Michael's and if you don't know that, then you don't know much about singing. Ne-Yo's voice is passable and good enough to make the songs work, that's about it.

Last edited:
Back