MJ's religious beliefs.

Just because somebody makes a film about zombies and ghosts, it doesn't necessarily mean they believe in those things............

I know Dracula doesn't exist, but that doesn't stop me pretending he does while I watch a Dracula film!!!!!

I don't think you could pin him down to a specific faith. He loved to read about all sorts of topics, spirituality and religion among them, undoubtedly. His approach to life is much different than most practicing Christians', that's for sure. Organized religion is not something I would associate with his life/spiritual philosophy. Dancing the Dream gives you a much better idea of who he was and what he believed in as a human being than anything anyone else writes or says about him. The entire book is a major reflection on life, and I greatly recommend it to all.

Although, as others have pointed out, he did believe in the teachings of Jesus. However, he seems to be pretty opposed to the horrible parts of the Bible, judging by his deeds.

Michael was spiritual and he firmly believed in God. But at the same time he was living his faith liberated of religious dogmatic chains. Why would he anyway tranch himself behind dogmatic walls? If there is a Superior Being with a Superior Intelligence who is our creator, He's neither a racist nor does he have a chosen people under labeled denominations such as Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists,.. It doesn't matter to which religious group individuals are sorted by others. What matters are deeds.

Do you think that God cares if Mother Theresa was a Catholic, Ghandi a Hindu or Averroes a Muslim?

Michael was spiritual and he firmly believed in God. But at the same time he was living his faith liberated of religious dogmatic chains. Why would he anyway tranch himself behind dogmatic walls? If there is a Superior Being with a Superior Intelligence who is our creator, He's neither a racist nor does he have a chosen people under labeled denominations such as Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists,.. It doesn't matter to which religious group individuals are sorted by others. What matters are deeds.

Do you think that God cares if Mother Theresa was a Catholic, Ghandi a Hindu or Averroes a Muslim?

Thank you for this very wise post.

Great! :clapping:

I beleive he was very spiritual and a believer but I don't think he was religious. I hope this makes sense because for me religion and belief are two completely different things.

I couldn't agree more, Great post.

I definitely agree on the spiritual vs religious point, and I think it's pretty evident from his interviews and Dancing The Dream that he was a very spiritual person.

http://reflectionsonthedance.blogspot.com/2011/06/amazing-guestbook-entry-i-encourage-all.html
Amazing Guestbook Entry I Encourage All To Read....
Michaelcryingwithfan.jpg

Below is an entry that showed up late last night on the website guestbook entry. I read this and started to cry. It's a beautiful testament not only to Michael, his strong faith in Jesus Christ, and what kind of person he truly was, by another person who had the blessing of knowing him for 2 years, but it is also one of many, many confirmations I continue to receive about the validity of what is on the website and how accurately it portrays what kind of person Michael was. I take no credit for that, but thank my Heavenly Father, because this is all God's doing. He brought me the right people and the right information because, as all of you know, I never had the blessing to know Michael personally. Praise God for continuing to validate what kind of man Michael was. The truth is getting out there! God will vindicate His child...the truth cannot be hidden.

jbwills Tuesday, 6/28/11, 11:49 PM
I first of all I would like show my appreciation for the time and effort put forth in compiling this website. The world has been exposed to many images of Michael often being harsh and unfair. I personally have had a chance to know Michael over a two year period and I have seen an image of an individual that I wish more people had known. Most have a defined view of such an iconic figure as his media image can't be escaped. When I met him I was facing serious life challenges and transitions, way insecure. It truely was not a time I felt confident to meet such a notable public figure. In my personal struggle I found a graceous,compassiona te,and honoring man. He is a gentle person that loves people. He loves to laugh and his joy, his big huge smile can light up a room. My moments with him over this period of time are filled with life as he belived in living life to its fullest. He forever has touched my heart in deep ways that have impacted my life. The expressions of Michael throughout this site are consistent to the man I knew. His faith is true and he was a humble expression of Christ's love. As he walks in heaven this day his life can give testiment to many things, but i know he'd like most of all to underscore his faith in Jesus Christ. It opens ones eyes to see the impact we have on others, to truely make a difference this is the greatest part of his legacy. He would encorage everyone to reach out and make a difference to make the most of the short years God graceously grants. The world is a bit sadder without his presence but his life still speaks.~

Amen Jb and God Bless You for sharing this.

http://www.reflectionsonthedance.com/GuestBook.html

I think his faith still had very much to do with JW, and a mix with Christian faith. Over the years when you've listen to Michael talk about his faith he have called God "Jehova", he said he reads the Bible, we have had his bodygaurds say he read it every day. We know he every now and then went to the Kingdom Hall even if he left the JW church many years ago.We do know he spent time with Pastor Coruch just weeks before he died and Pastor Coruch have said Michael did have a faith like that. So has many people around him during his last yeras. It doesn't mean he wasn't interested in alla religions ans mostley ACCEPTED AND RESPECTED ALL RELIGIONS, but from what I've heard him say until the very end it is to me very clear he did have a faith that can be seen as "belonging" to one religion, and that the faith he was raised in. I really don't think it's hurtful to other people of different faiths to say this or to act like he didn't. I mean if he was comfortable enough in his faith to say he reads the Bible, that that's where he gets his strength from and so on, why do we have to act like he didn't have a specific faith?
http://www.reflectionsonthedance.com/His-Faith.html
Here some things Michael have said about his faith over the years and I think it's very clear that he did have a strong faith and that it was the one he had his whole life.

Again, this is just my opinion from what I've gotten from him and what he said about his faith.

I must agree with Indra. Reflections On the Dance is a fantastic site by the way. I bookmarked it a few years ago and always go back to it and see what's happening. The fact that Michael himself has spoken of reading the Bible once a day, and that others have also spoken of this proves to me that he kept his core faith in Christianity. I would say he kept his JW traditions while implementing a Christian apologetic faith after he left the JW church. One also doesn't read the Word daily or even weekly if they don't get something out of it. And I don't mean just good morals. With the way he seems to plow through books, my guess is he's been through the Bible a few times!

EDIT: i'm also not saying that because of this he wasn't interested in other religions because clearly he was, haha! Its good to be knowledgeable about the other beliefs so you can further learn and discover your own faith. It makes you sure of the truth. He really did his best trying to live as Jesus did and loved everyone.

I think his faith still had very much to do with JW, and a mix with Christian faith. Over the years when you've listen to Michael talk about his faith he have called God "Jehova", he said he reads the Bible, we have had his bodygaurds say he read it every day. We know he every now and then went to the Kingdom Hall even if he left the JW church many years ago.We do know he spent time with Pastor Coruch just weeks before he died and Pastor Coruch have said Michael did have a faith like that. So has many people around him during his last yeras. It doesn't mean he wasn't interested in alla religions ans mostley ACCEPTED AND RESPECTED ALL RELIGIONS, but from what I've heard him say until the very end it is to me very clear he did have a faith that can be seen as "belonging" to one religion, and that the faith he was raised in. I really don't think it's hurtful to other people of different faiths to say this or to act like he didn't. I mean if he was comfortable enough in his faith to say he reads the Bible, that that's where he gets his strength from and so on, why do we have to act like he didn't have a specific faith?
http://www.reflectionsonthedance.com/His-Faith.html
Here some things Michael have said about his faith over the years and I think it's very clear that he did have a strong faith and that it was the one he had his whole life.

Again, this is just my opinion from what I've gotten from him and what he said about his faith.

He had not left the Jehovah Witnesses, they excluded him.

Actually, they did NOT. He very privately and quietly left that faith.

It's VERY clear from his songs and writing, that Michael was inclusive of ALL religions. I first became aware of this with the lyrics to the song, "Jam." Very inclusive, very critical of dogma, and very loving.

"Jam"

Nation To Nation
All The World
Must Come Together

Face The Problems
That We See
Then Maybe Somehow We Can Work It Out
I Asked My Neighbor
For A Favor
She Said Later
What Has Come Of
All The People
Have We Lost Love
Of What It's About

I Have To Find My Peace Cuz
No One Seems To Let Me Be
False Prophets Cry Of Doom
What Are The Possibilities
I Told My Brother
There'll Be Problems,
Times And Tears For Fears,
We Must Live Each Day
Like It's The Last

Go With It
Go With It
Jam
It Ain't Too Much Stuff
It Ain't Too Much
It Ain't Too Much For Me To
Jam
It Ain't
It Ain't Too Much Stuff
It Ain't
Don't You

The World Keeps Changing
Rearranging Minds
And Thoughts
Predictions Fly Of Doom
The Baby Boom
Has Come Of Age
We'll Work It Out

I Told My Brothers
Don't You Ask Me
For No Favors
I'm Conditioned By
The System
Don't You Talk To Me
Don't Scream And Shout

She Pray To God, To Buddha
Then She Sings A
Talmud Song
Confusions Contradict
The Self
Do We Know Right
From Wrong

I Just Want You To
Recognize Me
In The Temple
You Can't Hurt Me
I Found Peace
Within Myself

Go With It
Go With It
Jam
It Ain't
It Ain't Too Much Stuff
It Ain't Too Much
Jam
It Ain't
It Ain't Too Much Stuff
It Ain't
Don't You
Jam
It Ain't Too Much Stuff
It Ain't Too Much
Jam
It Ain't
It Ain't Too Much Stuff
It Ain't
Don't You

[Rap Performed By Heavy D]
Jam Jam
Here Comes The Man
Hot Damn
The Big Boy Stands
Movin' Up A Hand
Makin' Funky Tracks
With My Man
Michael Jackson
Smooth Criminal
That's The Man
Mike's So Relaxed
Mingle Mingle Jingle
In The Jungle
Bum Rushed The Door
3 And 4's In A Bundle
Execute The Plan
First I Cooled Like A Fan
Got With Janet
Then With Guy
Now With Michael
Cause It Ain't Hard To...

[Michael]
Jam
It Ain't
It Ain't Too Much Stuff
It Ain't Too Much
Jam
Get On It
It Ain't Too Much Stuff
It Ain't
Don't Stop
Jam
It Ain't
It Ain't Too Much Stuff
It Ain't
Don't You
Jam
It Ain't
It Ain't Too Much Stuff
It Ain't
Don't You

It Ain't Too Hard For Me
To Jam [9x]
Get On It
Jam
It Ain't
It Ain't Too Much Stuff
It Ain't
Don't You
Jam
It Ain't Too Much Stuff
It Ain't Too Much
Jam
It Ain't Too Much Stuff
It Ain't Too Much
Jam
Too Much
It Ain't Too Much Stuff
It Ain't
Don't You

Get On It
Get On It
Give It Baby
Give It To Me
Come On
You Really Give It Too Me
Got To Give It
You Just Want To Give It

Thats not true.

That is very true. He even felt obliged to justify himself as not believing in the occult. You can see it in the beginning of the short movie Thriller. But for JW that was not enough, so they excluded him.

BTW, from what I could see in my personal experience, a colleague of mine who is a JW said she liked MJ's music (like many people after MJ's death). But few days after, when she learned that he was excluded from the sect, she all of sudden claimed she liked MJ's music, but only the pre-Thriller era, in other words before he was excluded.

Actually, they did NOT. He very privately and quietly left that faith.

It's VERY clear from his songs and writing, that Michael was inclusive of ALL religions. I first became aware of this with the lyrics to the song, "Jam." Very inclusive, very critical of dogma, and very loving.

I never said he was JW, I said they excluded him. Two different things.

That is very true. He even felt obliged to justify himself as not believing in the occult. You can see it in the beginning of the short movie Thriller. But for JW that was not enough, so they excluded him.

BTW, from what I could see in my personal experience, a colleague of mine who is a JW said she liked MJ's music (like many people after MJ's death). But few days after, when she learned that he was excluded from the sect, she all of sudden claimed she liked MJ's music, but only the pre-Thriller era, in other words before he was excluded.

I never said he was JW, I said they excluded him. Two different things.

It's not true and I really don't feel like arguing this right now but just so you know he WAS a Jehovahs Witness and he CHOSE to leave of his own accord in 1987 years after Thriller.

Edit: And it's not a sect.

It's not true and I really don't feel like arguing this right now but just so you know he WAS a Jehovahs Witness and he CHOSE to leave of his own accord in 1987 years after Thriller.

Edit: And it's not a sect.

I am not arguing. I am providing info based on what happened when the short movie THRILLER was released.

Explain the disclaimer, why did he feel obliged to write this at all:

"Due to my strong personal convictions, I wish to stress that this film in no way endorses a belief in the occult."

When watching "Captain EO", no such disclaimer has been issued, which indicates that he wasn't a JW any more before BAD.

And yes, it is a sect. As opposed to religions, there is no freedom of personal thought. Also, PaceMioDolceCuore is right, a sect also means 'religious body' or 'group'.

I am not arguing. I am providing info based on what happened when the short movie THRILLER was released.

"Due to my strong personal convictions, I wish to stress that this film in no way endorses a belief in the occult."

When watching "Captain EO", no such disclaimer has been issued, which indicates that he wasn't a JW any more before BAD.

And yes, it is a sect. As opposed to religions, there is no freedom of personal thought. Also, PaceMioDolceCuore is right, a sect also means 'religious body' or 'group'.

I still dont see what the disclaimer has to do with him being "excluded". The video does have images of the occult so I dont see why you have a problem with the disclaimer. Captain EO is a completely diffferent video there isn't anything representative of the occult in the video so why would it need a disclaimer?

"No freedom of personal thought"? :lol: I'm not even going to touch that you continue to believe that I'd you want to.

Okay, I really don't know if Michael left or if he was asked to leave. My point is that there seems to be this beliefs that you can't say Michael really had a faith that can be conceded to one religion because of people would admit that then it would be like saying you're against all other religions. I see many comments here and in other forums saying that Michael was a spiritual person but didn't really belong to any religion - as if people are scared of insulting someone of a different religion. In my opinion I don't see how it's so hard to see that he did have a faith and that it was very much the one he was raised in and towards the Christian faith. That doesn't mean you're against any other religion, that you don't respect, that you don't have a interest, that you don't love people of other religions. It just means that you (in my opinion Michael) are happy with your faith and want everyone else to have whatever they want. To me it is more hurtful if people act like Michael did not have a certain faith considering he did talk about it a lot and did express in a very clear way what it was. We always say that we should listen to Michael and no one else, Michael asked us to do that too, but somehow when it comes to religion we should ignore his words so that we don't hurt others, ourselves or whoever can be hurt by the fact that Michael had a religion that maybe I/you/he/she doesn't...

If people would listen to Michael than it wouldn't even be too much of a discussion if you ask me. We should all do as him, respect all religions, people and faiths... that includes Michael - respect that he did have a faith and it did involved reading the Bible, going to JW/churches, talking about Jesus in a way that surely hints Michael thought Jesus was God and so on.

Just my opinion =)

Immediately AFTER that statement (first bolded, in the quote), he left the Jehovah's Witnesses. They did NOT "disfellowship" him. He left, through personal decision.

I still dont see what the disclaimer has to do with him being "excluded". The video does have images of the occult so I dont see why you have a problem with the disclaimer.

The disclaimer is there for a precise purpose. It is clearly a justification regarding his faith. Why would he put such a disclaimer then? Why didn't he put the same kind of disclaimer before Captain EO or before Ghosts?

Captain EO is a completely diffferent video there isn't anything representative of the occult in the video so why would it need a disclaimer?

There are zombie-like soldiers in Captain EO, so it could be representative of the occult.

"No freedom of personal thought"? :lol: I'm not even going to touch that you continue to believe that I'd you want to.

It has nothing to do with me believing that. Freedom of thought is something that you have when you don't need to ask others what you can do or what you cannot do.

Now, can Jehovah's Witnesses:

-vote for a political party?
-do a military service if they choose to do so or fight for their country if it's attacked by another military force?
-celebrate their birthdays, Christmas, Easter...?
-give blood or accept blood for medical reasons?
-get married with someone who is not a Jehovah's Witness?
-talk to or socialize with people who left the Jehovah's witnesses?

etc.

Now honestly answer those questions.

Okay, I really don't know if Michael left or if he was asked to leave.

I wouldn't see a reason why Michael would leave other than because he was asked to do so. For me the disclaimer before Thriller says it all. It is indeed extremely unusual to see such a disclaimer before a movie. I am personally not aware of any other example.

My point is that there seems to be this beliefs that you can't say Michael really had a faith that can be conceded to one religion because of people would admit that then it would be like saying you're against all other religions.

Read my posts, and you'll see that I am saying exactly the same. Michael Jackson did not follow a religion. He had a strong faith in God and admired people like Jesus, Mother Theresa, Ghandi, and all those who have positively contributed to the humanity. He was a philanthropist, let's not forget that.

I see many comments here and in other forums saying that Michael was a spiritual person but didn't really belong to any religion - as if people are scared of insulting someone of a different religion. In my opinion I don't see how it's so hard to see that he did have a faith and that it was very much the one he was raised in and towards the Christian faith. That doesn't mean you're against any other religion, that you don't respect, that you don't have a interest, that you don't love people of other religions. It just means that you (in my opinion Michael) are happy with your faith and want everyone else to have whatever they want. To me it is more hurtful if people act like Michael did not have a certain faith considering he did talk about it a lot and did express in a very clear way what it was. We always say that we should listen to Michael and no one else, Michael asked us to do that too, but somehow when it comes to religion we should ignore his words so that we don't hurt others, ourselves or whoever can be hurt by the fact that Michael had a religion that maybe I/you/he/she doesn't...

Having a faith is one thing, having a religion is another. MJ did not seem to follow any religion, except Jehovah's Witnesses when he was younger. Now, regarding his faith, it is not that people are afraid to be offended, but it is a fact that MJ was extremely curious and very spiritual. He did have lot of friends with different religions and he did read and talked with them about their respective spirituality. Michael Jackson spent some time in Bahrain, it is practically impossible to be friends with a Sultan, to spend months with him and never talk about religion. Likewise, MJ had Jewish friends such as Rabbi Schmuley, or Uri Geller, ... Indeed, many friends probably disappointed him as far as friendship is concerned, but it doesn't remove the fact that MJ was extremely curious about all the religions, at least the three monotheistic ones.

If people would listen to Michael than it wouldn't even be too much of a discussion if you ask me. We should all do as him, respect all religions, people and faiths... that includes Michael - respect that he did have a faith and it did involved reading the Bible, going to JW/churches, talking about Jesus in a way that surely hints Michael thought Jesus was God and so on.

That's a big cocktail of assumptions there. Michael never said that he believed that Jesus was God and I don't believe he ever thought so, and for a reason. First he was raised as Jehovah's Witness, and JWs don't believe that Jesus was God. Second, even when he was not a JW he was hanging around with a rabbi. I highly doubt that this latter would ever teach him that Jesus was God, as Jews even don't believe that Jesus was a messiah and even less God. And when he was hanging around with his Muslim friends, I also strongly doubt they'd teach him that Jesus was God, as Muslims do believe that Jesus was a messiah, but not God.

But I agree, MJ did respect everyone and probably everyone could identify themselves in MJ.

Immediately AFTER that statement (first bolded, in the quote), he left the Jehovah's Witnesses. They did NOT "disfellowship" him. He left, through personal decision.

Well, there will be always two versions circulating. Some believe that MJ left the JW, some believe that he was requested to leave them. As far as I am concerned, from the news I read back in the 80s he was excommunicated.

But I think he was pushed to leave, which, for me is the same as excommunicating him. The reason was probably because he was also instructed not to talk to his sister La Toya any more, which he refused.

Last edited:
Its abundantly clear to me that Michael was spiritual and not religious.

To me, being spiritual is having faith, but not belonging to a particular one. Michael made a point of distancing himself from the Kingdom Hall, and you barely heard him speak about those days later on in his interviews. Just because you've read the Christian bible or you like what Jesus was preaching/teaching, doesn't mean that you're religious. Religious and spiritual are two very, different things. I don't think Michael was religious in the Church-going sense. It's very much a structured way of living, and I personally don't see Michael living that way later in life.

It has nothing to do with me believing that. Freedom of thought is something that you have when you don't need to ask others what you can do or what you cannot do.

Now, can Jehovah's Witnesses:

-vote for a political party?
-do a military service if they choose to do so or fight for their country if it's attacked by another military force?
-celebrate their birthdays, Christmas, Easter...?
-give blood or accept blood for medical reasons?
-get married with someone who is not a Jehovah's Witness?

etc.

Now honestly answer those questions.

All those those things that you listed have CLEAR BIBLICAL reasoning as why as to why we abstain from them. And if you CHOOSE to live life by GODS (not men) standards then there are things that are expected of you. It has nothing to do with asking somebody whether or not you can do something. You answer to god not men.

This is just untrue, my aunt left a long time ago and speak with her and go see her almost everyday.

I think we're veering off topic the only point I'm trying to make is that Michael wasn't pushed out or excommunicated he CHOOSE to leave in 1987 which has been said by many people who knew Michael and Michael himself.

to be a "spiritual" person he talked about Jesus a lot :p
He even had a Jesus portrait in his room, you guys saw the picture, I don't know what's the big deal of calling him a Christian :scratch:
Because, believe it or not people, there are good and tolerant Christians in the world :lol:
And just because you hang out with a lot of people with different religions doesn't meant that you are adopting their faith.

All those those things that you listed have CLEAR BIBLICAL reasoning as why as to why we abstain from them. And if you CHOOSE to live life by GODS (not men) standards then there are things that are expected of you. It has nothing to do with asking somebody whether or not you can do something. You answer to god not men.

You did not answer my questions because you have no freedom of thought. You abide by what you have been told to believe.

So all those who answer yes to those questions don't read the Bible correctly?

to be a "spiritual" person he talked about Jesus a lot :p
He even had a Jesus portrait in his room, you guys saw the picture, I don't know what's the big deal of calling him a Christian :scratch:
Because, believe it or not people, there are good and tolerant Christians in the world :lol:
And just because you hang out with a lot of people with different religions doesn't meant that you are adopting their faith.

The thing is, Jesus is not only a Biblical figure. Some other religions recognize him as a messiah and a prophet. So calling him a Christian would be too restrictive. But we can agree that he was raised in JW's family, later on surrounded by other Christians, nevertheless often seen with jews and muslims.

Regarding the painting, in some countries you see in the Court room a painting of Jesus, but it doesn't mean that the Court itself is Christian (as it's supposed to be neutral). I think it's more a cultural thing. By the way MJ was mesmerized by art in general.

BUMPER SNIPPET;3433960 said:
The thing is, Jesus is not only a Biblical figure. Some other religions recognize him as a messiah and a prophet. So calling him a Christian would be too restrictive. But we can agree that he was raised in JW's family, later on surrounded by other Christians, nevertheless often seen with jews and muslims.

Regarding the painting, in some countries you see in the Court room a painting of Jesus, but it doesn't mean that the Court itself is Christian (as it's supposed to be neutral). I think it's more a cultural thing. By the way MJ was mesmerized by art in general.

Depends on what is your definition of Christian. Some people call themselves Christians but they don’t believe Jesus was God on earth. Also there’s no need to have only Christian friends to be a Christian.

About the painting, it was above MJ’s bed. That’s a typical place Christians place their Jesus portraits, could be a coincidence though. But why not put it in the living room or the library? That’s curious.

And this :
[youtube]ZhDS284Vr8k&feature=related[/youtube]

MJ was about to struggle with probably the biggest problem of his life, and he decided to go to a Christian church. You can call it Methodist Episcopal Church, but still.
They don’t talk about the Torah there or Mahoma or Ghandi, just saying :unsure:

Last edited:
Back