MJ's religious beliefs.

148hjx3.gif

We're not getting everywhere with this "discussion". You have a nice day.

Well the point was making a difference between a sect and a religion. Contrary to a religion, sects are much more mind-controling giving you very little room for your own interpretation. Everything must be accepted as such and all others are considered fully worong and influenced by evil forces such as Satan. Now if you think that you have choice to believe what you chose to believe or question, then you know you have the freedom of thought. If you realize that you can't decide for yourself, that it's always imposed by unquestionable authoritarian hierarchy, then there is no freedom of thought.

But why do you have to share the religion of your friends? Isn't what Michael wanted the world to know is that we can all be togehter, be friends, without having the same religion/faith/nationallty/race and so on? So I don't at all see how the fact that he had friends of all religions says he wasn't a person who had a beliefe that could be conected to one religion? I have friends of all religions and doesn't mean I don't have my own or that I can't because of this.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I would say reading the Bible and saying that's where you get your strenght from would at least hint to me he did have a religion. I never heard him say he read the Holly book of any other religion, just the Bible. I never heard anyone who knew him say that either, what we have heard is that he read the Bible.

Maybe it was wrong of me to say it hints Michael believed in Jesus as God, but note the word hint, just what I got from hearing him talk and also from what Pastor Coruch, Dr Patrick (what's his last name again, they guy he spent time with in Irland) and others. They have all said that the Michael they knew had a faith that they feel was Christina. But I shouldn't have said that.

As for living in the middle east, Michael moved to Ireland after that - does the whole "you are what religion of the country you live in" fallow there too?

@font-face { font-family: "Arial"; }@font-face { font-family: "Times"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }h1 { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 24pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-weight: bold; }a:link, span.MsoHyperlink { color: blue; text-decoration: underline; }a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { color: purple; text-decoration: underline; }p { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }span.Heading1Char { font-family: Times; font-weight: bold; }span.z-BottomofFormChar { font-family: Arial; display: none; }span.title-span { }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } http://www.michaeljackson.com/us/node/629093

Michael Jackson **GOD**

By: Michael Jackson from Dancing the Dream

It's strange that God doesn't mind expressing Himself/Herself in all the religions of the world, while people still cling to the notion that their way is the only right way. Whatever you try to say about God, someone will take offense, even if you say everyone's love of God is right for them.

For me the form God takes is not the most important thing. What's most important is the essence. My songs and dances are outlines for Him to come in and fill. I hold out the form. She puts in the sweetness.

I've looked up at the night sky and beheld the stars so intimately close, it was as if my grandmother had made them for me.

"How rich, how sumptuous," I thought. In that moment I saw God in His creation. I could as easily have seen Her in the beauty of a rainbow, the grace of a deer

bounding through a meadow, the truth of a father's kiss. But for me the sweetest contact with God has no form.

I close my eyes, look within, and enter a deep soft silence.
The infinity of God's creation embraces me. We are one.

Written By: Michael Jackson

I don't think anybody denied that Michael said he read the bible, his Jesus quotations etc.

Some people here continuously implied that he was still following the teachings of the Witnesses, "still had his childhood faith".

I don't think anyone denied that Michael still held onto the roots of Christianity- and most obviously he was curious enough to study other material as well.
And yes, it was stated by those who spoke to him that he not only owned more than one copy of the Bhagavad G?t?, but that he also read it.
That of course doesn't make him a Hindu, the point was that he simply was well educated.
People simply added that stuff for a more complete picture, not to reassert some personal direct knowledge of his direct habits.

But then again in the US it's some kind of sport to 'certify' and define who is a (usually meaning "born again') "Christian" and who isn't. Meaning, some people in all honestly deny that Catholics are Christians. So that kind of definition game is rather tiring, because these attempts of definition are very colored by each proponents own view.

And in all honesty, if the man found comfort in in revisiting places of old- a Kingdom Hall, a Methodist Church= who am I to pick that apart until nothing's left.

And honestly, I appreciate Dr. Patrick Tracey and everyone else speaking up for Michael- but Michael didn't ram down his beliefs anyone's throat- and a taped deposition video is NOT a public statement and it would be nice if people wouldn't try to rip him apart. There's a reason the public persona of Michael Jackson did not go into this- and I think he was right to do so.

One of the reasons I appreciated June Gatlins reply to this question was that she essentially refused to define him either way- that was respectful and polite toward him.

I also think it weird to hound every last associate of his in an attempt to bring to light what he maybe meant to keep in his heart, imagine someone is quizzing and interviewing every last one of your friends and associates to get to the bottom of your 'religious beliefs'- I would find that thought somewhat distressing, it paints a picture of Michael being chased like deer- all in the name of God.

Last edited:
The disclaimer is there for a precise purpose. It is clearly a justification regarding his faith. Why would he put such a disclaimer then? Why didn't he put the same kind of disclaimer before Captain EO or before Ghosts?

There are zombie-like soldiers in Captain EO, so it could be representative of the occult.

It has nothing to do with me believing that. Freedom of thought is something that you have when you don't need to ask others what you can do or what you cannot do.

Now, can Jehovah's Witnesses:

-vote for a political party?
-do a military service if they choose to do so or fight for their country if it's attacked by another military force?
-celebrate their birthdays, Christmas, Easter...?
-give blood or accept blood for medical reasons?
-get married with someone who is not a Jehovah's Witness?
-talk to or socialize with people who left the Jehovah's witnesses?

etc.

Now honestly answer those questions.

I wouldn't see a reason why Michael would leave other than because he was asked to do so. For me the disclaimer before Thriller says it all. It is indeed extremely unusual to see such a disclaimer before a movie. I am personally not aware of any other example.

Read my posts, and you'll see that I am saying exactly the same. Michael Jackson did not follow a religion. He had a strong faith in God and admired people like Jesus, Mother Theresa, Ghandi, and all those who have positively contributed to the humanity. He was a philanthropist, let's not forget that.

Having a faith is one thing, having a religion is another. MJ did not seem to follow any religion, except Jehovah's Witnesses when he was younger. Now, regarding his faith, it is not that people are afraid to be offended, but it is a fact that MJ was extremely curious and very spiritual. He did have lot of friends with different religions and he did read and talked with them about their respective spirituality. Michael Jackson spent some time in Bahrain, it is practically impossible to be friends with a Sultan, to spend months with him and never talk about religion. Likewise, MJ had Jewish friends such as Rabbi Schmuley, or Uri Geller, ... Indeed, many friends probably disappointed him as far as friendship is concerned, but it doesn't remove the fact that MJ was extremely curious about all the religions, at least the three monotheistic ones.

That's a big cocktail of assumptions there. Michael never said that he believed that Jesus was God and I don't believe he ever thought so, and for a reason. First he was raised as Jehovah's Witness, and JWs don't believe that Jesus was God. Second, even when he was not a JW he was hanging around with a rabbi. I highly doubt that this latter would ever teach him that Jesus was God, as Jews even don't believe that Jesus was a messiah and even less God. And when he was hanging around with his Muslim friends, I also strongly doubt they'd teach him that Jesus was God, as Muslims do believe that Jesus was a messiah, but not God.

But I agree, MJ did respect everyone and probably everyone could identify themselves in MJ.

Well, there will be always two versions circulating. Some believe that MJ left the JW, some believe that he was requested to leave them. As far as I am concerned, from the news I read back in the 80s he was excommunicated.

But I think he was pushed to leave, which, for me is the same as excommunicating him. The reason was probably because he was also instructed not to talk to his sister La Toya any more, which he refused.

Bumper, please listen to people who do know. I am a JW and I know for a fact that MJ was not disfellowshipped. Nor do witnesses "push" people to leave. If they were going to do that then they would of just disfellowshipped him. And he did not leave right after Thriller. He left right before Bad. I remember being a little girl and having the letter read off to the congregation. So listen to this carefully and understand please. He disassociated himself right before Bad was released. He was not asked to leave nor was he pushed to leave. Also, the statement before Thriller WAS acceptable to the elders in the congregation.

As for freedom of thought, I know I very much have that freedom. Freedom of thought does not mean that you cannot have restrictions on what you allow yourself to do. Freedom of thought means that you are able to reason on certain aspects and because of this reasonong you can make an educated decision about what is correct and what is not to you. Just because you do not personally agree with the things mentioned above (which you are incorrect in some of them BTW) does not mean that a person follows them because they have no freedom to do anything else or because they do them just because they cannot think and so follow blindlessly.

Each person is given an opportunity to make up their own mind before they are baptized. If aspects of the religion are not agreeable to you or you misunderstand, you simply do not become part of the religion. It's very simple. I know my reasons for believing as I do. I know the logic and I know the basis. I have freedom of thought as much as I want. Thank you very much.

JWs believe in principles vs laws. Most ways of life are bound to principles, therefore, every manner of your life is not dictated to you and you have a lot of room for choice. JWs are not a sect in the negative connotation that you are giving it as if those who believe are mindless zombies who don't know up from down.

It really angers me when I read such misinformation about JWs; especially by people who are sure of what they think they know.

Bumper, please listen to people who do know. I am a JW and I know for a fact that MJ was not disfellowshipped. Nor do witnesses "push" people to leave. If they were going to do that then they would of just disfellowshipped him. And he did not leave right after Thriller. He left right before Bad. I remember being a little girl and having the letter read off to the congregation. So listen to this carefully and understand please. He disassociated himself right before Bad was released. He was not asked to leave nor was he pushed to leave. Also, the statement before Thriller WAS acceptable to the elders in the congregation.

As for freedom of thought, I know I very much have that freedom. Freedom of thought does not mean that you cannot have restrictions on what you allow yourself to do. Freedom of thought means that you are able to reason on certain aspects and because of this reasonong you can make an educated decision about what is correct and what is not to you. Just because you do not personally agree with the things mentioned above (which you are incorrect in some of them BTW) does not mean that a person follows them because they have no freedom to do anything else or because they do them just because they cannot think and so follow blindlessly.

Each person is given an opportunity to make up their own mind before they are baptized. If aspects of the religion are not agreeable to you or you misunderstand, you simply do not become part of the religion. It's very simple. I know my reasons for believing as I do. I know the logic and I know the basis. I have freedom of thought as much as I want. Thank you very much.

JWs believe in principles vs laws. Most ways of life are bound to principles, therefore, every manner of your life is not dictated to you and you have a lot of room for choice. JWs are not a sect in the negative connotation that you are giving it as if those who believe are mindless zombies who don't know up from down.

It really angers me when I read such misinformation about JWs; especially by people who are sure of what they think they know.

Everything that i was trying to say articulated so much better lol. I applaud you Ginvid.

But why do you have to share the religion of your friends? Isn't what Michael wanted the world to know is that we can all be togehter, be friends, without having the same religion/faith/nationallty/race and so on? So I don't at all see how the fact that he had friends of all religions says he wasn't a person who had a beliefe that could be conected to one religion? I have friends of all religions and doesn't mean I don't have my own or that I can't because of this.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I would say reading the Bible and saying that's where you get your strenght from would at least hint to me he did have a religion. I never heard him say he read the Holly book of any other religion, just the Bible. I never heard anyone who knew him say that either, what we have heard is that he read the Bible.

Maybe it was wrong of me to say it hints Michael believed in Jesus as God, but note the word hint, just what I got from hearing him talk and also from what Pastor Coruch, Dr Patrick (what's his last name again, they guy he spent time with in Irland) and others. They have all said that the Michael they knew had a faith that they feel was Christina. But I shouldn't have said that.

As for living in the middle east, Michael moved to Ireland after that - does the whole "you are what religion of the country you live in" fallow there too?

I understand what you mean, but the matter of the fact is that all the friends of different religions who knew Michael witnessed that he was very interested in their respective religions. If you read what rabbi Schmuley said, you'd understand. If I remember correctly the rabbi even tried to convince him to go back to the roots of the Christian religion as he was raised in a Christian family, because apparently Michael did not really identify himself as belonging to one particular religion once he wasn't a member of the JW.

Jermaine on the other hand, also confirmed that Michael was actually reading everything. If I remember correctly Janet witnessed the same. Michael literally devoured all kinds of books, among which religious, of course.

No doubt, Jesus was probably one of his references regarding some aspects of his lifestyle such as being close to children and their innocence, but let's not forget that Michael was also quite reserved. In his songs, right now I don't recollect that he was mentioning Jesus. However, Michael did mentioned God in his songs which wasn't necessarily referring to Jesus.

And just to add a little note, Michael did mention Abraham in his "Earth Song" which is probably a deliberate choice: Abraham is a common figure (forefather) to Jews, Christians and Muslims.

As we can see, Michael was quite universal rather than sticking to one dogma of a particular religion.

ginvid;3434132 said:
Bumper, please listen to people who do know.

Ginvid, believe me I wouldn't speak about something that I don't know, it would be pretentious from my part. I also want you to know that I am not disrespecting anyone's belief, I am simply elaborating some points. Now if you wish we can openly debate in all due respect in a new thread, I am willing to take up the challenge.

ginvid;3434132 said:
I am a JW ...

And trust me that all the JW who knocked on my doors I warmly welcomed them without even knowing them, but each time, after the discussion they left perplex to the point they were sending me letters weeks after to justify things that they couldn't justify while discussing about things they actually did not have a clue, except what they have been taught/instructed to say to people. I could give you concrete example, but I don't wanna go too much off topic. That's why I said, if you want we can open a new thread and have a debate.

ginvid;3434132 said:
and I know for a fact that MJ was not disfellowshipped. Nor do witnesses "push" people to leave.

According to La Toya who was disfellowshipped Michael was criticized for being idolized as he was a victim of his own success. As she was disfellowshipped (or did she quit?), they instructed him not to talk to her any more. So I am not inventing anything. I am merely reporting what has been said in the media in the 80s.

But all in all, I realize there are conflictual versions of the facts, so all I can draw as a conclusion is that no one among us who didn't speak to Michael will ever know what really happened. Michael was extremely respectuous and descrete.

ginvid;3434132 said:
If they were going to do that then they would of just disfellowshipped him. And he did not leave right after Thriller. He left right before Bad. I remember being a little girl and having the letter read off to the congregation. So listen to this carefully and understand please. He disassociated himself right before Bad was released. He was not asked to leave nor was he pushed to leave. Also, the statement before Thriller WAS acceptable to the elders in the congregation.

I kno that La Toya had already lied about Michael regarding his relationship with kids, but did she lie about his relationship with the JW? I can't tell. Michael never denied it. On top of that, when I se the disclaimer before Thriller starts i find it extremely unnecessary. Why and to whom does he have to even justify whether he believs in the occult or not? Can you imagine if each horrot movie starts with such a disclaimer for each actor, director and the team?

ginvid;3434132 said:
As for freedom of thought, I know I very much have that freedom. Freedom of thought does not mean that you cannot have restrictions on what you allow yourself to do.

There is a big difference of imposing restrictions to yourself and being imposed restrictions by others. If you believe in God, and you meet another person who believes in God. You both believe that God created you. You fall in love with that person and the person falls in love with you. But you are imposed by others not to have right to get married with the person with whom you have fallen in love. Where is the freedom of thought there? Two people, believing in God, but not belonging to the same group cannot get married?! Who decided so? You? Or your dogma? That's just one example of lack of freedom of thought. And let's say, you decide anyway to get married to that person why would you all of sudden cease to be JW? Who decides what you are? You or others?
ginvid;3434132 said:
Freedom of thought means that you are able to reason on certain aspects and because of this reasonong you can make an educated decision about what is correct and what is not to you. Just because you do not personally agree with the things mentioned above (which you are incorrect in some of them BTW) does not mean that a person follows them because they have no freedom to do anything else or because they do them just because they cannot think and so follow blindlessly.

Among those restrictions, I have a question. If you see a child in need of blood. Would you let that child die or would you give your blood? What would your freedom of thought dictate to you in that case?

Which one of the examples I mentioned are not correct? All the examples I mentioned come from JW themselves, not from me. By the way, if there is a freedom of thought it means that some things can be questioned. Now, why can't you for example celebrate your birthday if you feel like it? Why having a restriction on that? Even if you say that it is in pagan's tradition to do it, it doesn't mean that because you celebrate a birthday you are a pagan. Just as some of you mentioned here, it is not because Michael was friends with jews or muslims that he was a jew or a muslim.

ginvid;3434132 said:

In religion, if you don't know the original lanuage and the scripture, the logic could simply vanish in the translations, don't forget that. I will give you a simple example. Go to www.wordreference.com it is a good dictionary. Select two indo-european languages, let's say French and English. Then type the word in French "FLEUVE" and translate it into English. When you have finished, do the same and instead of typing "fleuve", type "RIVIÈRE" and translate it into English. If you do that for both words you ill have exactly the same translation even though those two concepts are quite different. Now imagine a blurry concept when you translate from Jesus's mother tongue Aramaic (which was not an Indo-European language) into an Indo-European language such as Ancient Greek, then Latin and finally into all other languages... Although the message is there, some concepts are clearly lost.

Now, a very simple question: How many books does the Bible contain? How many translations are out there?

You say you can think for yourself based on logic. But whose logic? we all depend on what translators chose to translate how they seem to understand the words bearing in mind that translators are certainly far from being perfect, translations even less, and the difference between language families aggravayes even more the situation. What I am trying to say, there is not one logic, but many, hence different religions and sects claiming all to detain the ultimate truth. In other words, people start excluding each other in the name of someone's exegesis imposing it to others.

ginvid;3434132 said:
JWs believe in principles vs laws. Most ways of life are bound to principles, therefore, every manner of your life is not dictated to you and you have a lot of room for choice.

A choice among things I numbered?

ginvid;3434132 said:
JWs are not a sect in the negative connotation that you are giving it as if those who believe are mindless zombies who don't know up from down.

I never said that. By the way, I did not invent the definition for a sect. JW happen to fall into that category of definition based on the very principles you evoked, I didn't coin that. Some find it positive, some negative. But frankly speaking, I don't know how can anyone say that not saving someone's life by blood transfusion could be viewed as a positive thing.

ginvid;3434132 said:

Why are you angered by the things that are said by JW themselves? You know they often knock on my door and they speak with me. By the way I have colleagues at work who are JW, I am in very good terms with them, but it is they who say all what I said. Again I did not misinformed, I reported. If I misinformed anyone, tell me which of the points are not true. Thanks.

BUMPER SNIPPET;3434374 said:
Ginvid, believe me I wouldn't speak about something that I don't know, it would be pretentious from my part. I also want you to know that I am not disrespecting anyone's belief, I am simply elaborating some points. Now if you wish we can openly debate in all due respect in a new thread, I am willing to take up the challenge.

And trust me that all the JW who knocked on my doors I warmly welcomed them without even knowing them, but each time, after the discussion they left perplex to the point they were sending me letters weeks after to justify things that they couldn't justify while discussing about things they actually did not have a clue, except what they have been taught/instructed to say to people. I could give you concrete example, but I don't wanna go too much off topic. That's why I said, if you want we can open a new thread and have a debate.

As with any religion, the depth of their knowledge is going to be based on how much they are willing to put in the study of it. As with speaking with a variety of people, there are going to be times that someone will ask you a question about something that you have not had asked before and are unfamiliar with. If that happens to me, I don't try to make it up. I simply inform them that I don't know at the moment and will get back to them. There is nothing wrong with not knowing the answer to everything someone asks you. The religion very much teaches that each person has mastery over their oen spirituality and they have to be students themselves instead of relying on others for their solutions. Some take this very much to heart and it shows. Some will actually say, "Well if the Watchtower says it, then it must be so." If that is how a person wants to be, that is on them. But it is not indicative of the religion, it is a reflection upon themselves.

According to La Toya who was disfellowshipped Michael was criticized for being idolized as he was a victim of his own success. As she was disfellowshipped (or did she quit?), they instructed him not to talk to her any more. So I am not inventing anything. I am merely reporting what has been said in the media in the 80s.

That right there shows it is misconstrued. Did Rebbie stop talking to MJ altogether after '87? No. So that shows you that she again is exagerating what takes place. When a person is disfellowshipped, the assocation with that person is then cut off, or in the case of a family member, limited. As family, you will have to discuss some things. Some correspondence will have to take place. But I am not going to pretend as if your relationship with someone who is disfellowshipped is going to be like it was before. I was aware of this when I decideed to be a JW and I agreed with it then and agreed with it even when I had to apply it myself because my father became disfellowshipped. I do noit agree in making a commitment to something and then turn my back on it because the commitment becomes difficult for me. The same thing that made it reasonable in my eyes, makes it reasonable even when it is difficult to follow.

But all in all, I realize there are conflictual versions of the facts, so all I can draw as a conclusion is that no one among us who didn't speak to Michael will ever know what really happened. Michael was extremely respectuous and descrete.

All I know is at the time Michael was no longer a JW, they differentiated between a person who was Disfellowshipped and a person who was disassociated. the letter read was disassociated meaning MJ left of his own volition, not being kicked out.

I kno that La Toya had already lied about Michael regarding his relationship with kids, but did she lie about his relationship with the JW? I can't tell. Michael never denied it. On top of that, when I se the disclaimer before Thriller starts i find it extremely unnecessary. Why and to whom does he have to even justify whether he believs in the occult or not? Can you imagine if each horrot movie starts with such a disclaimer for each actor, director and the team?

Every person who makes a horror movie is not a JW. Why would they need to make a disclaimer. Sometimes you do things you do not have to do in order to not stumble your brothers or sisters. For instance, my sister does not listen to rap music of any kind. I listen to a limited amount. However when we are dancing together or I am playing music, I make sure I do not play any rap. Do I have to do it? Not at all. But I want to be respectful of what my sister wants for herself. I find it annoying often (especially when I skip the rap interlude in some songs) but I do this out of love for my sister. This principle is taken from the Apostle Paul, who when talking about the need to no longer abstain from certain kinds of meat said ,"But in order to not stumble one of my brothers I would not eat meat at all." This goes back to principles. When something is not wrong, you still may at times choose not to partake of something just out of regard for your brothers and sisters. "Not all things are wrong, but not all things are advantageous". Even though Thriller was not necessarily wrong, you can imagine the impact it might have had on the people in the congregation who might be confused for themselves. To put the disclaimer on the video was a small thing (and probably an annoyance), but it was a loving thing to do to care about the spirituality of those in the congregation.

There is a big difference of imposing restrictions to yourself and being imposed restrictions by others. If you believe in God, and you meet another person who believes in God. You both believe that God created you. You fall in love with that person and the person falls in love with you. But you are imposed by others not to have right to get married with the person with whom you have fallen in love. Where is the freedom of thought there? Two people, believing in God, but not belonging to the same group cannot get married?! Who decided so? You? Or your dogma? That's just one example of lack of freedom of thought. And let's say, you decide anyway to get married to that person why would you all of sudden cease to be JW? Who decides what you are? You or others?

No one makes you a JW. You choose to be one yourself. It is not even something you are born into. Each person has to decide for themselves if the restrictions are something they want to live by. If you do not, then you don't have to be a JW. Therefore any restrictions they have you take upon yourself. The restrictions are not imposed upon you but you agree to take them upon yourself. Also, you should ask how many JWs marry outside of the religion. Do you know what happens in the congregation when they do? Nothing. Marrying outside of the religion is not encouraged, but if it is what someone wants to do, what can anyone say? My sister married a person who was not a JW. Guess what? It happens. It is based on principles not laws again in this case. She is living according to the principles as she fells coompelled to. She has to answer to God no one else.

Among those restrictions, I have a question. If you see a child in need of blood. Would you let that child die or would you give your blood? What would your freedom of thought dictate to you in that case?

My dear Bumper, you act as if it is such an open and shut case. In life the choice is not either getting blood or die. There are often many choices in between. No parent, even JWs want their loved ones to die. If they did they would not go to doctors at all. I would not give my child blood, no matter what. But there are numerous things you can do in between to combat this before it gets desperate. JWs have a commitee set up whose sole purpose is to speak to hospitals about Bloodless treatments. In fact JWs have become pioneers in pushing this kind of treatment something that JWs and non JWs have benefitted from. People are so programmed in thinking that blood is an only choice when there are an array of treatment options instead of blood. The fact that this programming is even among doctors and staff is alarming as well. The Liason Committee, goes to hospitals in order to explain these treatments to them. They also make a list available to members of doctors who specialize in treatments without blood or doctors who are willing to work with witnesses on even complicated procedures without blood. Besides this, every year witnesses are given refresher courses on nonblood treatments so they are aware of what treatments are out there that accomplish the goal of blood transfusions without having blood. Then, there is the decision by each member whether or not they will take blood fractions or not. It is not wrong if you choose to do so, it is left up to you.

So the connotation that JWs will not accept blood and just sit back and let their children die is tired. They are working everyday in order to provide for their loved ones while still having a clean conscience.

Which one of the examples I mentioned are not correct? All the examples I mentioned come from JW themselves, not from me. By the way, if there is a freedom of thought it means that some things can be questioned. Now, why can't you for example celebrate your birthday if you feel like it? Why having a restriction on that? Even if you say that it is in pagan's tradition to do it, it doesn't mean that because you celebrate a birthday you are a pagan. Just as some of you mentioned here, it is not because Michael was friends with jews or muslims that he was a jew or a muslim.

People have to stop being so self centered. People do anything they want just because it makes them happy. They think they are all that matters. What JWs teach is try to think of how things affect God. He is a real person with whom you can have a relationship. From the Bible a precedence has been set about showing how God feels about birthdays reasonably. But I will let you know something, there is a difference betwen how secular holidays are viewed versus religious holidays. And this effects what you can decide upon yourself to celebrate or not. Although it will be frowned upon if you celebrate them. You have to make that personal decision.
Besides this, it is not like you cannot give yourself parties whenever you want. Not celebrating birthdays will not ruin your life. Have a party another day. Give youself as many gifts as you want. Or have people give you gifts as much as you want.

In religion, if you don't know the original lanuage and the scripture, the logic could simply vanish in the translations, don't forget that. I will give you a simple example. Go to www.wordreference.com it is a good dictionary. Select two indo-european languages, let's say French and English. Then type the word in French "FLEUVE" and translate it into English. When you have finished, do the same and instead of typing "fleuve", type "RIVIÈRE" and translate it into English. If you do that for both words you ill have exactly the same translation even though those two concepts are quite different. Now imagine a blurry concept when you translate from Jesus's mother tongue Aramaic (which was not an Indo-European language) into an Indo-European language such as Ancient Greek, then Latin and finally into all other languages... Although the message is there, some concepts are clearly lost.

I don't need to cross translate something to understand this concept. A perfect example is the Greek word love. In Greek there are four different words for love. However, when it is translated into English, it only comes across as love "love". without the original texts with it, what kind of love that is meant in that verse may be entirely lost to you. So you may not get a full understanding of what is being conveyed.

Now, a very simple question: How many books does the Bible contain? How many translations are out there?

The Bile contains 66 books that are canonized. There are thousands of translations.

You say you can think for yourself based on logic. But whose logic? we all depend on what translators chose to translate how they seem to understand the words bearing in mind that translators are certainly far from being perfect, translations even less, and the difference between language families aggravayes even more the situation. What I am trying to say, there is not one logic, but many, hence different religions and sects claiming all to detain the ultimate truth. In other words, people start excluding each other in the name of someone's exegesis imposing it to others.

We do depend on Bible translators. But does it not say something that over the thousands of years that Bibles have been translated, between versions of those that went in with the intention of following the texts as much as possible, there has been very little variation. Also, the prevalence of so many religions is often not because of an attempt to remain true to scripture, but, because someone wants to make scripture fit their way of living. People like to have their "ears tickled" becuase they do not think they should have to conform to religion but religion should conform to the way they want to live. For most people God is not a real person. He is some far away entity that they cannot imagine influencing their life. If that is how you see God, no wonder you feel you should be able to live anyway you choose. With the programming that goes on constantly with individuals today through TV, through music, through books, you can argue whether anyone really has freedom of thought. Or, is it an illusion. Instead of confining me, I find my religion to be very freeing. As a matter of fact, in my philosophy class in school we had that very topic on the illusion of freedom.

A choice among things I numbered?

I never said that. By the way, I did not invent the definition for a sect. JW happen to fall into that category of definition based on the very principles you evoked, I didn't coin that. Some find it positive, some negative. But frankly speaking, I don't know how can anyone say that not saving someone's life by blood transfusion could be viewed as a positive thing.

See comment above.

Why are you angered by the things that are said by JW themselves? You know they often knock on my door and they speak with me. By the way I have colleagues at work who are JW, I am in very good terms with them, but it is they who say all what I said. Again I did not misinformed, I reported. If I misinformed anyone, tell me which of the points are not true. Thanks.

JWs are many and varied. Some are more strict and some are more secular while still falling in the category of being a JW. Some will also explain things in detail and some will give a cookie cutter kind of answer when asked things. Sometimes, just because they do not believe the person asking honestly wants to know. Sometimes it is because the person themselves have not looked deeper into the teachings of their own religion. Again as I said, it is indicative of the person not the religion.

I have gotten flack for studying philosophy. I have gotten flack for studying evolution. I have gotten flack for other decisions I have made in my life. But I think I have come out the better for some of my decisions. Sometimes people do not fully understand the difference of principles. They think just because they choose it for themselves, then you have to do it. They try to make it a rule when it is not. I can imagine MJ got that all of the time. I know at some point it was frustrating for him. Some are more easily stumbled than others are and it can be difficult to be around those who are constantly offended at what you do. However, know what the Bible says. I studied it. If someone does not like my personal decisions, then I don't know what to say to them. Later on for them. your relationship with God is between you and him. No one else. You alone have to answer for what you do in life. No one else.
I am not going to say that people trying to impose their particular decision about things upon another has not been a problem. There have been much counsel about this. I have to admit that from the time I was little til the now, people have gotten a lot better. Prince is an example. I think if he would have done some of the things he does now around the time MJ was a witness, he might have gotten in some trouble. But, I will say this as I said before, JWs are not stagnant. The are an evolving religion. What was considered right 20 years ago, is no longer accepted. Something that was considered wrong 20 years ago is now ok. (boy I could tell stories. LOL).

Please do not see my answer as a personal attack. My arguments are directed towards the exegesis of the JW, not towards you as a person. You are my MJ fan friend no matter if you are a JW, a Jew, a Baptist, an Amish, a Mormon, a Catholic, an Evangelist, a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Taoist, a Hindu, a Sikh, ..... :)

As with any religion, the depth of their knowledge is going to be based on how much they are willing to put in the study of it. As with speaking with a variety of people, there are going to be times that someone will ask you a question about something that you have not had asked before and are unfamiliar with. If that happens to me, I don't try to make it up. I simply inform them that I don't know at the moment and will get back to them. There is nothing wrong with not knowing the answer to everything someone asks you. The religion very much teaches that each person has mastery over their oen spirituality and they have to be students themselves instead of relying on others for their solutions. Some take this very much to heart and it shows. Some will actually say, "Well if the Watchtower says it, then it must be so." If that is how a person wants to be, that is on them. But it is not indicative of the religion, it is a reflection upon themselves.

A student who does not study by heart usually questions the teachings of his teachers based on their own intelligence. In many instances a student can surpass the teacher. Do you question your teachers? Do they ever question themselves as teachers?

That right there shows it is misconstrued. Did Rebbie stop talking to MJ altogether after '87? No. So that shows you that she again is exagerating what takes place. When a person is disfellowshipped, the assocation with that person is then cut off, or in the case of a family member, limited. As family, you will have to discuss some things. Some correspondence will have to take place. But I am not going to pretend as if your relationship with someone who is disfellowshipped is going to be like it was before.

And this exactly shows that there is no freedom of thought. Why would your relationship with someone change because that someone decided to change his/her opinion? If my kids decide to be Jews or Christians or Muslims or Buddhists, why would I ever change my attitude towards them? They are still my kids, I'd still love them as much and my attitude towards them wouldn't change a bit. The society is made of different people, different opinions and that's fine.

I was aware of this when I decideed to be a JW and I agreed with it then and agreed with it even when I had to apply it myself because my father became disfellowshipped. I do noit agree in making a commitment to something and then turn my back on it because the commitment becomes difficult for me. The same thing that made it reasonable in my eyes, makes it reasonable even when it is difficult to follow.

So the commitment clearly encourages to take distances with people who changed their mind. In other words people's freedom of thought is quite limited as they risk to be completely cut off from their friends.

Again, if we think logically and your best friends who is let's say a Christian, all of sudden decides to become a Buddhist, I don't see any logic why I would ever change my relationship with my best friend. In other words, you are saying that if your best friend who is a JW decided to convert to another religion, your best friend would be cut off and wouldn't be your best friend any more. That very criteria of being reclusive is quite a sectarian attitude.

All I know is at the time Michael was no longer a JW, they differentiated between a person who was Disfellowshipped and a person who was disassociated. the letter read was disassociated meaning MJ left of his own volition, not being kicked out.

But we do not know for a fact if he felt obliged to leave or not as there are different versions around hich Michael never really addressed publicly.

Every person who makes a horror movie is not a JW. Why would they need to make a disclaimer. Sometimes you do things you do not have to do in order to not stumble your brothers or sisters. For instance, my sister does not listen to rap music of any kind. I listen to a limited amount. However when we are dancing together or I am playing music, I make sure I do not play any rap. Do I have to do it? Not at all. But I want to be respectful of what my sister wants for herself. I find it annoying often (especially when I skip the rap interlude in some songs) but I do this out of love for my sister.

It is noble from your part to do things for your sister like that. But how about her love towards you? Does she play sometimes some rap out of her love for you? As far as the disclaimer for Thriller is concerned, it is not made out of love, but out of justification. I mean, who on Earth would ever believe that because you make a movie with zombies means that you believe in the occult? No one should be judged like that, hence no justification is necessary. The real friends would never be offended. They'd simply not judge him and they'd trust him. So again, the disclaimer wasn't neither necssary nor done out of love.

This principle is taken from the Apostle Paul, who when talking about the need to no longer abstain from certain kinds of meat said ,"But in order to not stumble one of my brothers I would not eat meat at all."

If Michael had followed that logic, he wouldn't have shot the movie in the first place, but he did.

This goes back to principles. When something is not wrong, you still may at times choose not to partake of something just out of regard for your brothers and sisters. "Not all things are wrong, but not all things are advantageous". Even though Thriller was not necessarily wrong, you can imagine the impact it might have had on the people in the congregation who might be confused for themselves.

No, honestly, I cannot imagine at all. Why would anyone be confused by a fiction? Michael did invent a musical short movie,but he didn't invent the zombies. They were there long before (see Romero's movies and John Landis's "An American Werewolf In London"). Only those who would have judged him would have been confused.

By the way, Thriller actually mesmerized the general public. It has become a classic around the world. The disclaimer indicates that he actually either had no freedom of thought at that time and had to justify the short movie by it or that his thoughts were closely watched by his JW's friends. Later on, when he wasn't a Jehovah's Witness any more, he never put such a disclaimer, despite his video Ghosts, Moonwalker (when he transforms in a robot or a starship, etc.). Why would he.
To put the disclaimer on the video was a small thing (and probably an annoyance), but it was a loving thing to do to care about the spirituality of those in the congregation.

Justifying oneself is not a loving thing. It's a justifying thing. How about their trust in him? How about let him do what he felt he wanted to do without him feeling even obliged to put such a disclaimer? It is quite tiring to feel observed and to feel the need to justify oneself for each action one does.

No one makes you a JW. You choose to be one yourself. It is not even something you are born into. Each person has to decide for themselves if the restrictions are something they want to live by. If you do not, then you don't have to be a JW. Therefore any restrictions they have you take upon yourself. The restrictions are not imposed upon you but you agree to take them upon yourself.

Are those restrictions questioned? Are those restrictions necessary? What for? I can understand some personal restrictions, but not intervening in saving someone's life by a blood transfusion, I just don't see any logic nor any good out of it.
Also, you should ask how many JWs marry outside of the religion. Do you know what happens in the congregation when they do? Nothing. Marrying outside of the religion is not encouraged,

By whom?

but if it is what someone wants to do, what can anyone say? My sister married a person who was not a JW. Guess what? It happens. It is based on principles not laws again in this case. She is living according to the principles as she fells coompelled to. She has to answer to God no one else.

She has to answer to God for getting married to someone who is not a JW? Is that a bad thing, not to get married with the one you are in love with? Is God a racist?

My dear Bumper, you act as if it is such an open and shut case.

Well, yes it is an open or shut case in this case. A JW does not give his/her blood to save a life and that is a shut case. Why not open it?

In life the choice is not either getting blood or die. There are often many choices in between. No parent, even JWs want their loved ones to die. If they did they would not go to doctors at all.

Going to see a doctor does not imply necessarily giving your blood. I was specifically talking about giving or accepting blood in order to save someone's life. It is not a detail, we are talkig about someone who is in grave danger knowing that there is a possibility to save a person's life by giving him/her your blood.

I would not give my child blood, no matter what.

This is one of the biggest reason why the Jehovah's Witnesses are considered as a sect.

We are not talking about playing games, but about someon's life and death. It is an extremely serious matter. Saying that you wouldn't give your blood to your own child no matter what is extremely grave.

Can you imagine a situation, which I wish to no one of course, where you have your child bleeding to death because of a car accident. This child being in an extreme danger and close to death if he doesn't immediately get a blood transfusion. Are you saying that your freedom of thought and logic is telling you that you wouldn't give blood to your own child?

If only that is not a sectarian practice, I don't know what it is then. Enlighten me what logic is behind refusing to help someone to survive, especially when it comes to your own child?

Last edited:
But there are numerous things you can do in between to combat this before it gets desperate. JWs have a commitee set up whose sole purpose is to speak to hospitals about Bloodless treatments. In fact JWs have become pioneers in pushing this kind of treatment something that JWs and non JWs have benefitted from. People are so programmed in thinking that blood is an only choice when there are an array of treatment options instead of blood.

It is also good to have other treatments. But it's not because you have other treatments that we should refuse what we have at our disposal right now. One does not exclude the other. If I eat one brand of chocolate, it doesn't mean that I should exclude all other brands.

The fact that this programming is even among doctors and staff is alarming as well.

"Programming"? "Alarming"? So, being programmed not to give blood no matter what including someon's risk to die is less alarming than being "programmed" to give blood in order to save lives?

The Liason Committee, goes to hospitals in order to explain these treatments to them. They also make a list available to members of doctors who specialize in treatments without blood or doctors who are willing to work with witnesses on even complicated procedures without blood. Besides this, every year witnesses are given refresher courses on nonblood treatments so they are aware of what treatments are out there that accomplish the goal of blood transfusions without having blood. Then, there is the decision by each member whether or not they will take blood fractions or not. It is not wrong if you choose to do so, it is left up to you.

So JWs go to all the trouble explaining to hospitals how to do treatments without blood which is seemingly much more complex, make a huge deal when it comes to blood transfusion, but at the end of the day you are said to decide if you want to do it or not.

If there was no mind programming regarding blood transfusion within JW's congregation, this wouldn't even be a subject of debate. If someone is really given a choice to give or accept blood, why bother advocating against it? This is not really a freedom. It sounds as a false freedom where on psychological level they (JW's scholars) first give you remorse to do it, then they tell you do it if you want it.

So the connotation that JWs will not accept blood and just sit back and let their children die is tired. They are working everyday in order to provide for their loved ones while still having a clean conscience.

The fact that your conscious is not clean when talking about blood is alarming when you know that your blood can save lives. Why saving lives would be a source of unclean conscious at all?

People have to stop being so self centered. People do anything they want just because it makes them happy.

Let's not swing from one extreme to another. I was not talking about anything to be happy, but about serious things such as saving lives. How can we even compare "anything to be happy" with "saving someone's life"?

They think they are all that matters. What JWs teach is try to think of how things affect God.

The Perfect Almighty God, Creator of all, is affected by things??? A human can be affected. But God?

He is a real person with whom you can have a relationship.

Just as any religion or sect would claim. But does He tell you not to save lives when you can?

From the Bible a precedence has been set about showing how God feels about birthdays reasonably.

"Reasonably"? So a tiny little insignificant human being lost in the vaste universe affects the Almighty Creator of that universe when that tiny little insignificant human being celebrates his/her birthday? I am not being sarcastic, I am using my logic.

But I will let you know something, there is a difference betwen how secular holidays are viewed versus religious holidays. And this effects what you can decide upon yourself to celebrate or not. Although it will be frowned upon if you celebrate them.

Again? Why? By whom?

If you adopt the logic of St paul not eating meat in presence of people who don't eat meat out of respect, why would anyone frown upon the fact that you celebrate religious holidays with people out of respect knowing clearly that you do not believe in your friends' religion.

If a Jew or a Muslim is invited to celebrate Christmas in a Christian family, why would it be a problem for a JW to celebrate it too? It is not as if anyone converted. It is merely a gathering between people of different religions and showing respect towards them, just as not eating meet in presence of people who don't eat meat.

If, like you said, have a real relationship with God, God knows you. So why being constantly afraid of what others might think of you? That same fear pushed Michael actually to put his disclaimer on Thriller.

You have to make that personal decision.
Besides this, it is not like you cannot give yourself parties whenever you want. Not celebrating birthdays will not ruin your life. Have a party another day. Give youself as many gifts as you want. Or have people give you gifts as much as you want.

So again, to me it sounds as giving remorse before doing a thing. At the same time you say it is a personal choice (after giving you remorse). you say you can give parties whenever you want, but at the same time if you want to have those parties at Christmas, birthdays, etc. you actually can't.

So why another day if you want them that day? Again, where is the freedom of choice here?

I don't need to cross translate something to understand this concept. A perfect example is the Greek word love. In Greek there are four different words for love. However, when it is translated into English, it only comes across as love "love". without the original texts with it, what kind of love that is meant in that verse may be entirely lost to you. So you may not get a full understanding of what is being conveyed.

And that was my point. Ho can we even pretend to know any truth when everything has been translated and many things lost in translation?

The Bile contains 66 books that are canonized. There are thousands of translations.

So, some Christians who say that there are more than 66 books are wrong? Among those thousands of translations only the JW's is the good one?

We do depend on Bible translators. But does it not say something that over the thousands of years that Bibles have been translated, between versions of those that went in with the intention of following the texts as much as possible, there has been very little variation.

Very little variation? Have you read them? I'll give you two examples of "little variations" (see my next post).

Also, the prevalence of so many religions is often not because of an attempt to remain true to scripture, but, because someone wants to make scripture fit their way of living. People like to have their "ears tickled" becuase they do not think they should have to conform to religion but religion should conform to the way they want to live. For most people God is not a real person. He is some far away entity that they cannot imagine influencing their life. If that is how you see God, no wonder you feel you should be able to live anyway you choose. With the programming that goes on constantly with individuals today through TV, through music, through books, you can argue whether anyone really has freedom of thought. Or, is it an illusion. Instead of confining me, I find my religion to be very freeing. As a matter of fact, in my philosophy class in school we had that very topic on the illusion of freedom.

Are you saying that rabbis, monks, priests, buddhist monks, imams, and non JW see God as distant? Are you saying that mother Theresa who said "In every tear He (God) is there" considers God as distant?

Are you saying that A Buddhist Monk experiencing close-to-Nirvana peace of mind is far from God and His peace?

Are you saying that Muslims who pray five times a day believing that God is closer than their jugular veine is distant and that all the prayers and every day deeds from the people of all religions and actually non-religions are further from God than JW?

To claim such a thing you must have read all the books and lived with all the people around the world. Did you? I personally didn't, but I don't claim that others are tailoring necessarily religion to their own needs. However, I never stumbled across any religion which encourages you not to give blood in order to save someone's life.

How can we therefore come to a logical conclusion that JW is not a sect when deliberately advocating not to give blood or frown upon a simple thing such as celebrating one's birthday?

Here is a preface of the Revised Standard version of the Bible with a following disclaimer:

"Yet the King James Version has grave defects!"

ad_chap3preface.jpg

As far as the Catholic Bible is concerned, there are 73 books and not 66! This is not what I call a minor variation!

Last edited:
Bumper I am ont going to keep going back and forth with you when it is obvious you have a problem with blood refusal. Every argument you make goes back to that. It comes down to something very asic and it is your view of life. If a person thinks that the only life we have is the one we live now, then of course, even if it means commiting a wrong, they do whatever they can to continue living. We will do whatever we can to continue living until it means commiting a wrong. This life is not all their is. To die is not the end of it all. Death is a sleep. Those who sleep will be awaken.

You harp on things like blood because life again on Earth is something you cannot fathom. So you say why not take blood if it will save your life? More important than the life now to us is the realtionship you have with Jehovah. Yes we do believe him to be real. Yes we do believe him to be affected by what we do. As I said above, we exhaust every option available in order to try to save the lives of our loved ones, while still remaining faithful. But should they die, we have the opportunity to see them again. This is my belief for my sister and my father who both died.

We do not have "a" teacher. We have many teachers. And we are all teachers to one another. Of course, if I have a question, I can ask it. Of course if some matter of doctrine seems incorrect to me, I can question. But the point of the matter is this, if there is something in the teachings that you find so incorrect that you no longer want to be a JW, then leave. No one makes you stay. No one makes you stop questioning. Being a JW does not mean you are devoid of any critical thinking. On the contrary, it the ability of critical thinking advocated by them that draws me to the religion.

The Scriptures say that God even numbers the hairs on your head. He is that close to us. He is my friend. Whatever I do, affects him. When I look at nature and learn about him in order to draw closer to him, he is affected. When I read his word, to draw closer to him, he is affected. When I choose to follow his word even when it is difficult he is affected. When I take care of the planet because it is my home and a gift from him, he is affected. When I worship him, he is affected. When I take care of the stray cats on my block and feed them and take care of them, he is affected. When I pause before each meal to pray to him, he is affected. When I spend time with my family and honor my mother, he is affected. When I put the feelings of others above my own he is affected. And yes, when I choose to do something as simple as not celebrating birthdays, he is affected.

About the Bible books, I said 66 canonized. The other books part of the Catholic Bible is not canonized. That is why most Bible translations do not recognize them.

Oh yes The King James version has many defects in it. But even with the KJV, a person can still find the truth in God's word. When it comes to the translation of Bible truths and themes, the Bible throughout history has been remarkably consistent. When you play the game telephone, often by the time it gets to the end, the phrase is completely different that what the original is. Not so with the Bible. That is the point I was making. And, it is because of finding of older manuscripts and Biblical texts, as you have quoted above, that now makes it more possible than ever before to have a accurate translations.

Are you saying that rabbis, monks, priests, buddhist monks, imams, and non JW see God as distant? Are you saying that mother Theresa who said "In every tear He (God) is there" considers God as distant?

Are you saying that A Buddhist Monk experiencing close-to-Nirvana peace of mind is far from God and His peace?

Are you saying that Muslims who pray five times a day believing that God is closer than their jugular veine is distant and that all the prayers and every day deeds from the people of all religions and actually non-religions are further from God than JW?

To claim such a thing you must have read all the books and lived with all the people around the world. Did you? I personally didn't, but I don't claim that others are tailoring necessarily religion to their own needs. However, I never stumbled across any religion which encourages you not to give blood in order to save someone's life.

How can we therefore come to a logical conclusion that JW is not a sect when deliberately advocating not to give blood or frown upon a simple thing such as celebrating one's birthday?

Now comeon Bumper, where did I even imply that? I never said or implied that non JWs view God as distant. I said that most people view God as a distant figure. If I thought it was all non JWs I would have said that all people not JWs view God as distant. Can you not see the difference between what I said and the conclusion you jumped to? It is a fact that we are in an increasingly secular world. Many people do not believe in God at all. Many people are agnostic and don't know whether he exists or not, or if he does, if he has any power. Many people claim to believe in God, but he has no bearing in his life. They may even have an outward appearance of serving him, but what they actually think and what they do behind closed doors belie something different. Many people will wear a cross around their neck, but God has no real affect in their life. This is what makes up the majority of people. When God is viewed this way, is it no wonder that many will choose the religion that caters the lifestyle they already have as opposed to changing their life to conform to the religion.

I don't have to read every book, or talk to every person to come to a deduction about what is common. Stop taking my words and making them finite when they are not. I said that new religions are often not because of differences indoctrine (I cannot say never because of course new religions do come about because of this reason) but because people make attempts to make religion fit their way of living instead of vice versa. I have studied the evolution or religions (I should say Christian religions). Not at my kingdom Hall, but in school. I can tell you this happens very often.

Anyway Bumper, I have to go. I am only on lunch and I have not even eaten yet. I will be back later. Although, from now on, I will answer your questions via PM. I highjacked this thread enough.

And I do not take your questions as an attack on me. Of couse not. Just because a person is curious, it is not necessarily negative and it does not mean they are in attack mode.

Bumper I am ont going to keep going back and forth with you when it is obvious you have a problem with blood refusal.

Every argument you make goes back to that. It comes down to something very asic and it is your view of life. If a person thinks that the only life we have is the one we live now, then of course, even if it means commiting a wrong, they do whatever they can to continue living. We will do whatever we can to continue living until it means commiting a wrong. This life is not all their is. To die is not the end of it all. Death is a sleep. Those who sleep will be awaken.

You harp on things like blood because life again on Earth is something you cannot fathom. So you say why not take blood if it will save your life? More important than the life now to us is the realtionship you have with Jehovah. Yes we do believe him to be real. Yes we do believe him to be affected by what we do. As I said above, we exhaust every option available in order to try to save the lives of our loved ones, while still remaining faithful. But should they die, we have the opportunity to see them again. This is my belief for my sister and my father who both died.

We do not have "a" teacher. We have many teachers. And we are all teachers to one another. Of course, if I have a question, I can ask it. Of course if some matter of doctrine seems incorrect to me, I can question. But the point of the matter is this, if there is something in the teachings that you find so incorrect that you no longer want to be a JW, then leave. No one makes you stay. No one makes you stop questioning. Being a JW does not mean you are devoid of any critical thinking. On the contrary, it the ability of critical thinking advocated by them that draws me to the religion.

The Scriptures say that God even numbers the hairs on your head. He is that close to us. He is my friend. Whatever I do, affects him. When I look at nature and learn about him in order to draw closer to him, he is affected. When I read his word, to draw closer to him, he is affected. When I choose to follow his word even when it is difficult he is affected. When I take care of the planet because it is my home and a gift from him, he is affected. When I worship him, he is affected. When I take care of the stray cats on my block and feed them and take care of them, he is affected. When I pause before each meal to pray to him, he is affected. When I spend time with my family and honor my mother, he is affected. When I put the feelings of others above my own he is affected. And yes, when I choose to do something as simple as not celebrating birthdays, he is affected.

About the Bible books, I said 66 canonized. The other books part of the Catholic Bible is not canonized. That is why most Bible translations do not recognize them.

Oh yes The King James version has many defects in it. But even with the KJV, a person can still find the truth in God's word. When it comes to the translation of Bible truths and themes, the Bible throughout history has been remarkably consistent. When you play the game telephone, often by the time it gets to the end, the phrase is completely different that what the original is. Not so with the Bible. That is the point I was making. And, it is because of finding of older manuscripts and Biblical texts, as you have quoted above, that now makes it more possible than ever before to have a accurate translations.

Now comeon Bumper, where did I even imply that? I never said or implied that non JWs view God as distant. I said that most people view God as a distant figure. If I thought it was all non JWs I would have said that all people not JWs view God as distant. Can you not see the difference between what I said and the conclusion you jumped to? It is a fact that we are in an increasingly secular world. Many people do not believe in God at all. Many people are agnostic and don't know whether he exists or not, or if he does, if he has any power. Many people claim to believe in God, but he has no bearing in his life. They may even have an outward appearance of serving him, but what they actually think and what they do behind closed doors belie something different. Many people will wear a cross around their neck, but God has no real affect in their life. This is what makes up the majority of people. When God is viewed this way, is it no wonder that many will choose the religion that caters the lifestyle they already have as opposed to changing their life to conform to the religion.

I don't have to read every book, or talk to every person to come to a deduction about what is common. Stop taking my words and making them finite when they are not. I said that new religions are often not because of differences indoctrine (I cannot say never because of course new religions do come about because of this reason) but because people make attempts to make religion fit their way of living instead of vice versa. I have studied the evolution or religions (I should say Christian religions). Not at my kingdom Hall, but in school. I can tell you this happens very often.

Anyway Bumper, I have to go. I am only on lunch and I have not even eaten yet. I will be back later. Although, from now on, I will answer your questions via PM. I highjacked this thread enough.

And I do not take your questions as an attack on me. Of couse not. Just because a person is curious, it is not necessarily negative and it does not mean they are in attack mode.

I think you just reversed the logic. I personally have no problems with blood-related medicine. And, my point was not blood at all. My point was saving one's life. That is important.

I meant by that, if you see someone drawning, you would hopefully jump into water and try to save him. If you see someone crossing the street who doesn't see a crazy driver heading towards him, you would probably stop him crossing the street. It is a logic of survival, no matter what as long as you don't put yourself in danger.

But letting someone die in front of your eyes because of a creed when you clearly can avoid that?! I will never understand that. And it is as much dangerous as people who commit suicide in the name of God believing that this life is nothing and that there is afterlife anyway.

Believing in afterlife doesn't give anyone the right to stop people living their present life. Every life on earth represents billions of potential future generations. If we let someone die, especially a young child, not only that child would die, but his entire potential descent would die with him too. Life is a precious gift and should be cherished and thanked for, not neglected in the name of a creed that advocates "letting die rather than helping out because of blood taboo".

p.s. Enjoy your meal.

p.p.s. I'd rather we open a new thread so other people could also bring their insight, as the pm is quickly full.

Last edited:
The last time Michael mentioned being a JW was in a 2001 interview (I don't remember which one unfortunately). The interviewer asked if he was still one. Michael answered "yes" and he goes in disguises to do door-to-door witnessing.

Wow, Michael must have really stretched his beliefs thin then if he sought out mediums giving him readings, June Gatlin for example- she has him on tape in 2009. She clearly describes herself a seer, I thought anything 'occult' was to be shunned according to JW doctrine?

How all of this is to be reconciled with being a Jehovah's Witness specifically- I have no idea.

Guess only Michael knows.

The last time Michael mentioned being a JW was in a 2001 interview (I don't remember which one unfortunately). The interviewer asked if he was still one. Michael answered "yes" and he goes in disguises to do door-to-door witnessing.

Well that's quite contradicting with what some JW say in this very thread claiming that MJ left JW around 1987.

I found it:
tv guide reporter
Are you still a Jehovah's Witness?
Yeah. I've done, you know, we call it pioneering. We do 90 hours a month. I don't do as much now because I'm busy. You go door to door. I wear a fat suit, pop-bottle glasses, mustache, buck teeth, and, like, an Afro wig. And I knock on the door and say we're Jehovah's Witnesses.

I found it:
tv guide reporter
Are you still a Jehovah's Witness?
Yeah. I've done, you know, we call it pioneering. We do 90 hours a month. I don't do as much now because I'm busy. You go door to door. I wear a fat suit, pop-bottle glasses, mustache, buck teeth, and, like, an Afro wig. And I knock on the door and say we're Jehovah's Witnesses.

What is the reference?

Cassie I think I remember the article you mention. But I think they were quoting from an earlier article. I don't think MJ was saying that at that time. I remember reading that article and being surprised at the comment until I remember something that gave me the indication it was old. I'm sorry I couldn't help more. But this is what I remember.

What tips me off is that if you say it is from the early 2000's, by them pioneers did not get 90 hours, they got 70. Also by then, I don't think brothers would go door to door with afros. I think this was taken from an older interview. I will try to find it, but I am really bad at internet research . :) I'll see what I can come up with.

I don't like the Jehovah Witness philosophy. Way too much interference in your private life. People should be free to do whatever they want to do with their lives, as long as it's not against the law.

Cassie I think I remember the article you mention. But I think they were quoting from an earlier article. I don't think MJ was saying that at that time. I remember reading that article and being surprised at the comment until I remember something that gave me the indication it was old. I'm sorry I couldn't help more. But this is what I remember.

What tips me off is that if you say it is from the early 2000's, by them pioneers did not get 90 hours, they got 70. Also by then, I don't think brothers would go door to door with afros. I think this was taken from an older interview. I will try to find it, but I am really bad at internet research . :) I'll see what I can come up with.

Now I remember that article and I think you're right :yes:

@Cassie, I looked and found a series of articles that were released around 2000 and 2001. But all of them had him speaking about past pionerring. Not current as of 2000/2001.

I di not find any info on the particular article you posted. Sorry.

I don't think anybody denied that Michael said he read the bible, his Jesus quotations etc.

Some people here continuously implied that he was still following the teachings of the Witnesses, "still had his childhood faith".

I don't think anyone denied that Michael still held onto the roots of Christianity- and most obviously he was curious enough to study other material as well.
And yes, it was stated by those who spoke to him that he not only owned more than one copy of the Bhagavad G?t?, but that he also read it.
That of course doesn't make him a Hindu, the point was that he simply was well educated.
People simply added that stuff for a more complete picture, not to reassert some personal direct knowledge of his direct habits.

But then again in the US it's some kind of sport to 'certify' and define who is a (usually meaning "born again') "Christian" and who isn't. Meaning, some people in all honestly deny that Catholics are Christians. So that kind of definition game is rather tiring, because these attempts of definition are very colored by each proponents own view.

And in all honesty, if the man found comfort in in revisiting places of old- a Kingdom Hall, a Methodist Church= who am I to pick that apart until nothing's left.

And honestly, I appreciate Dr. Patrick Tracey and everyone else speaking up for Michael- but Michael didn't ram down his beliefs anyone's throat- and a taped deposition video is NOT a public statement and it would be nice if people wouldn't try to rip him apart. There's a reason the public persona of Michael Jackson did not go into this- and I think he was right to do so.

One of the reasons I appreciated June Gatlins reply to this question was that she essentially refused to define him either way- that was respectful and polite toward him.

I also think it weird to hound every last associate of his in an attempt to bring to light what he maybe meant to keep in his heart, imagine someone is quizzing and interviewing every last one of your friends and associates to get to the bottom of your 'religious beliefs'- I would find that thought somewhat distressing, it paints a picture of Michael being chased like deer- all in the name of God.

Well let's just agree to disagree.
I very much believe - not that it matters to me, but from what I've heard michael say over the years and also what he did not say - that he did have a faith that is very much like the Christian faith.

I very much believe - not that it matters to me, but from what I've heard michael say over the years and also what he did not say - that he did have a faith that is very much like the Christian faith.

Well that's not difficult, is it? :) All major religions are alike.

You just QUOTED me where I said that he held onto the roots of Christianity while educating himself on other things as well?? Did you read what you quoted?

What exactly are you disagreeing with, since you quoted my entire posting? That Tracey is speaking up for him, you disagree with the assessment that it was polite of Gatlin to refuse define him?

I allowed for plenty of possibilities, I even said "Christian", so I am not sure what exactly it is you're disagreeing with.

What are people trying to prove? That he's Christian and still a Jehovah's Witness? Christian only?

MJ was a bit more multifaceted than a one liner on a bumber sticker.

Last edited:
Well that's not difficult, is it? :) All major religions are alike.

Yes every religion is very much alike but there are things that make them different and it's not that easy to mistake a jew for a muslim or a muslim for a christina and so on. Usally but he way people live, what they say, and talk it's not hard to know what religion people belong to - even if many religions are alike. So I'm sure you know what I ment when I said that.. =)

Back