Michael - The Official New Album - Out December 14th - General Discussion Thread

Which tracks are you most looking forward to hearing in full/Want on Album!

• All I Need

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Carry On

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Breaking News

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Monster

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Much Too Soon

Votes: 66 71.0%
  • Do You Know Where Your Children Are

Votes: 68 73.1%
  • Another Day

Votes: 76 81.7%
  • Hold My Hand

Votes: 54 58.1%
  • A Place With No Name

Votes: 65 69.9%
  • Love Never Felt So Good

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Blue Gangsta

Votes: 57 61.3%

• Total voters
Re: The Official New Album Thread - Discussion Only - ALL DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE

yes the dvd boxset is a good idea for new fans, if you don't own any of his short-films then its a dream. That is catering to new fans. The people who are most looking forward to a release are already fans that have already purchased all of the dvds out there. An option should be available for the fans to purchase just the new material, I admit I will be disappointed if I have to buy the whole boxset just so that I can get the unreleased material.

You just start to wonder is there anything stopping Sony from releasing this boxset the following christmas just with another disc of unreleased material.

Re: The Official New Album Thread - Discussion Only - ALL DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE

Oh thanks for the information guys! But I thought OMC wasn't finished?

I will buy the Vision, for sure. Easy to have all videos at one package + the new stuff!

This album and especially the video game will CREATE new fans. Kids. People will experience MJ's music for the first time! When they fall in love with MJ, what would u rather them have promoted at the front row of store shelves as the MJ DVD for sale? A.) number ones or B.) Vision a comprehensive boxed set featuring all MJ's old clips plus new stuff as well.

The releases make a lot of sense.

It does make sense, to encourage a whole new generation, but MJ has already got millions of fans all over the world, surely there would be a greater success to bring something new to masses in terms of the boxset DVD, I personally think it would be better to show Michael performing live, not many people have had the experience of a MJ live concert, imagine blu-ray concert of BAD or Victory tour, it would sell buckets and buckets.

yes the dvd boxset is a good idea for new fans, if you don't own any of his short-films then its a dream. That is catering to new fans. The people who are most looking forward to a release are already fans that have already purchased all of the dvds out there. An option should be available for the fans to purchase just the new material, I admit I will be disappointed if I have to buy the whole boxset just so that I can get the unreleased material.

You just start to wonder is there anything stopping Sony from releasing this boxset the following christmas just with another disc of unreleased material.

No, next Xmas is when they re-release the same boxset on BluRay with improved video and audio! :cheeky:

I think we will see all the blu ray releases of lots of MJ concerts, MK genie is there also going to be a release of this boxset on BLURAY , i mean come on it has to! It is NOW THE FORMAT!!

Terry

Two discs full of re-re-re-recycled old stuff? I hope not. Why not just release one DVD with new material then?

Agree, they should do a full box set for those that don't own the old stuff, then a single disc for those that just want the new stuff.

I wish this record would change, MJ is back - bigger than ever, there's no reason to complain. If what has been said is true, this boxset will be something a lot of us have been waiting for years. Yes, we have many of the videos that will probably be on the first 2 discs - but why not celebrate it? It's genius, all of the videos are. The set is called 'Vision' because Michael was a pioneer with a vision. Simples.

Don't like it, don't buy it - I can't see it being expensive, just treasure what it is and the reason for it.

Agree, they should do a full box set for those that don't own the old stuff, then a single disc for those that just want the new stuff.

They could've released TII (the song) as a single but instead they decided to create a "soundtrack" album.

They could've released the 13 unreleased songs/demos on The Ultimate Collection as a single disc of rarities, but instead they released a five disc boxset.

Sony aren't stupid. As long as it sells, they will continue to do stuff like this.

Some people need to remember that Sony is a business not a Michael Jackson fan club. Sony wants to make money, that is all.

Some people need to remember that Sony is a business not a Michael Jackson fan club. Sony wants to make money, that is all.

Exactly, and Sony caters to us as well. Sony has sometimes released Michaels unreleased tracks as B-Sides to singles (Shout, etc.), the big deal here that anytime Sony has had an opportunity to release new Michael material they have also took that time to promote Michael's HIStoric back catalog. I think they've done an amazing job of bringing his legacy into the eye's of every new generation of fans, rather we like their promotion techniques for Invincible or not, Sony absolutely made sure if you were buying Invincible you saw shelves stocked with Michael's other 5 solo masterpieces.

1995 - HIStory is released as a two disk set containing Michael's old hits.

1997 - BODTF is released alongside the HIStory on Film DVD set which contains a nice
collection of Michael's videos up to that point.

2001 - Invincible is released alongside special edition re releases of his Epic solo releases (-BODTF)

2003 - Michael is only releasing the single "One More Chance" but again Sony took a chance on putting out another greatest hits package.

Over the years I've grown from hating Sony to realizing that you can't have a grudge against a company for trying to make money. When they didn't have new material from Michael to release they figured out creative ways to keep Michael on the charts and relevant to newer generations

And what we had was....

They could've released TII (the song) as a single but instead they decided to create a "soundtrack" album.
An excellent soundtrack to an incredibly popular feature film (most features have soundtracks) including some nice demos as a bonus (they didn't HAVE to add those in - it would have been a sufficient release as a standard soundtrack without them) The This Is It song is the worst part of the soundtrack so releasing it as a single would have been foolish. The Estate made the right call here (remember, post MJ passing its the ESTATE, not Sony, who think up and put forward the releases)

They could've released the 13 unreleased songs/demos on The Ultimate Collection as a single disc of rarities, but instead they released a five disc boxset.
The BEST Michael Jackson release to date. An incredible selection of classic Jackson 5, Jacksons, and Michael Jackson tracks spanning his entire career with 13 unreleased rarities slotted in, in approximate chronological order PLUS the first official release of Live In Bucharest. Doesn't get much better than that as a boxed set. Releasing the demos on a stand alone disc would have been crap in comparison in my opinion. I'd much rather have The Ultimate Collection with 4 discs of gold and a DVD concert.

And the way they're running the new era, perfect from what I can see so far.

Will there be a Blu-Ray release?? And I mean, REAL High Definition.. New scans from the original film prints?? We all know that MJ recorded ALL his videos on film..

cool. Thank you everyone for the info. I am getting too excited.

I don't mind the re-release of videos if it means they include all the ones that we haven't been able to purchase in the past such as She's Out of My Life, Blame It on the Boogie, Another Part of Me, etc, etc. That to me would be worth buying. I just hope they don't give us only one or two leaving other old videos to be released in the future.

And what we had was....

An excellent soundtrack to an incredibly popular feature film (most features have soundtracks) including some nice demos as a bonus (they didn't HAVE to add those in - it would have been a sufficient release as a standard soundtrack without them) The This Is It song is the worst part of the soundtrack so releasing it as a single would have been foolish. The Estate made the right call here (remember, post MJ passing its the ESTATE, not Sony, who think up and put forward the releases)

The BEST Michael Jackson release to date. An incredible selection of classic Jackson 5, Jacksons, and Michael Jackson tracks spanning his entire career with 13 unreleased rarities slotted in, in approximate chronological order PLUS the first official release of Live In Bucharest. Doesn't get much better than that as a boxed set. Releasing the demos on a stand alone disc would have been crap in comparison in my opinion. I'd much rather have The Ultimate Collection with 4 discs of gold and a DVD concert.

Totally agree with you. I think it's a great idea to release a boxset. The already released short films are the true Michael Jackson vision. I'd rather the new generation of fans be introduced to the works Michael himself approved. The new materials can be excellent, but we cannot argue the fact that they are put together by others. We'll never know whether they are really Michael's vision. With the boxset, fans can have a chance to own both the true classics and new material.

I can't believe the comments I read in the last few pages. None of us see the boxset yet, but already complained about it. We tend to project what we like/what we want to what Sony/the Estate should do. Releasing a DVD of new materials alone do not make much business sense. Of course, fans like us, who own every DVD available and see every youtube vide clip, want unseen stuff. But, honestly, will the general public buy a disc of studio footage, alternative version of existing videos, etc.? I bet not. The groundbreaking short films, like Thriller and Black or White, are still the most marketable materials. Fans who own every single Michael Jackson release are not the representative figure/target audience.

If everything in the Dangerous Short Films, HIStory Vol. I and II are included in the new boxset, how about buying the new boxset and donating the old DVD's that you own to local library or gifting to people who cannot afford the purchase? So that, we can help spreading Michael's legacy.

The groundbreaking short films, like Thriller and Black or White, are still the most marketable materials.

Granted, but the older DVDs (History I & II, and Dangerous Short Films) are still in print. So it's not like they're unavailable commercially and need to be put back onto the marketplace.

"Ghosts", on the other hand... :)

Granted, but the older DVDs (History I & II, and Dangerous Short Films) are still in print. So it's not like they're unavailable commercially and need to be put back onto the marketplace.

But these DVD's are not complete sets. You can't even buy ALL the previously existing MJ dvd's and have all his videos. It's impossible. This ONE boxed set makes it possible.

Not about the new album..but I don't know where to put this and you are talking about other releases here.. so:

Are they going ahead with the Thriller/Ghosts thing for Halloween that Michael Jackson was planning for last year?

Frank Dileo mentioned in his interview with Raffles Van Exel a long while ago..

Exactly, I was hoping they would do this.

But these DVD's are not complete sets. You can't even buy ALL the previously existing MJ dvd's and have all his videos. It's impossible. This ONE boxed set makes it possible.

no idea about the first single, but my source said the detailed announcement will come soon... I asked him if its next week, he said no comments...WTF.

updates on boxset

The boxset will be really deluxe. Color: golden.

There will be some animation-like special effects on the cover of the DVD boxset when you move the box sleeve. There are many lattices on the cover to show the classic video scenes, maybe that's how the animation effect look like, I don't know how to imagine that.

And my source said the first two discs may include old videos, and the third disc may include the new materials, as well as ONE MORE CHANCE video. But he hasn't seen the tracklist, so this would be his reliable guess.

And there will be a photo booklet inside.

:eek:

:wild:

Oh Michael... :cry:

Could it be that One More Chance is included on the new album and re-relased as a single?

I'm very surprised about the OMC vid for one simple reason : the director of the video said to the French fan mag B&W that they only filmed Michael from behind. Then Michael surrendered to the police and it was over. It doesn't make any sense....

I'm very surprised about the OMC vid for one simple reason : the director of the video said to the French fan mag B&W that they only filmed Michael from behind. Then Michael surrendered to the police and it was over. It doesn't make any sense....

Is that in the final issue of B&W from last year?

Is it true that he filmed an "Unbreakable" music video?

Is it true that he filmed an "Unbreakable" music video?

Nope, it was rumored at the time but nothing was filmed.

And what we had was....

I dont think that the TII soundtrack was a good idea as for the old album version songs.
They should release a LIVE version of the soundtrack, on several MJ boards there is a download of the DVD version.
It was just another GH compilation, nothing special, I didnt buy it.
I wont buy any other GH comp.
And of course, TII song was a total professional disaster.

UC was to be released instead of all these never-ending GH compilations in 2003. That would have been a HIT.

SONY should release DVD/BR of all world tours, from the Jackson5 era to HIStory + special bonuses and behind the scenes.
That would have been an awesome smash hit.

I dont know what to think about the new album or another GH compilation... enough is enough.

Could it be that One More Chance is included on the new album and re-relased as a single?

God, I hope not.

Terrible idea.

God, I hope not.

Terrible idea.

I totally agree.....It'd be too weak to release, IMO...I've never really liked One More Chance....:ninja: But I'd love to see the video...

Back