Michael - The Official New Album - Out December 14th - General Discussion Thread

Which tracks are you most looking forward to hearing in full/Want on Album!

• All I Need

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Carry On

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Breaking News

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Monster

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Much Too Soon

Votes: 66 71.0%
  • Do You Know Where Your Children Are

Votes: 68 73.1%
  • Another Day

Votes: 76 81.7%
  • Hold My Hand

Votes: 54 58.1%
  • A Place With No Name

Votes: 65 69.9%
  • Love Never Felt So Good

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Blue Gangsta

Votes: 57 61.3%

• Total voters
Re: The Official New Album Thread - Discussion Only - ALL DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE

ok, side note.....I may be ignorant in saying this...but what makes the deal that the estate and Sony the biggest in history? I thought there were bigger contracts that were made before....? I don't know....i'm obviously wrong...lol

Alanna, when the announcement was made back in spring when the Estate signd the deal with Sony, it's widely reported that the $200 million deal is the largest deal in recording history.

There might be larger deals signed by other artists, but those deals usually include touring, etc... But, this $200 record deal is so significant becasue it doesn't include touring for obvious reason. It includes 10 projects till 2017. This Is It was retroactively included. So, there are 9 more projects to go.

The administrators attest that the deal is indeed the largest in history. They even mentioned it in the management report, which is attached here a few pages before.

Re: The Official New Album Thread - Discussion Only - ALL DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE

Alanna, when the announcement was made back in spring when the Estate signd the deal with Sony, it's widely reported that the $200 million deal is the largest deal in recording history.

There might be larger deals signed by other artists, but those deals usually include touring, etc... But, this $200 record deal is so significant becasue it doesn't include touring for obvious reason. It includes 10 projects till 2017. This Is It was retroactively included. So, there are 9 more projects to go.

The administrators attest that the deal is indeed the largest in history. They even mentioned it in the management report, which is attached here a few pages before.

ahhh..i see....Ok, I understand now...Thanks :D Not that I was doubting it...but I just didn't know the full story...and wasn't it $250 mil?

^ The $250 million dollar deal was the largest in history period. No artist has ever been offered that much money , and in fact even artists like Madonna and Jay Z whose deal included albums, AND touring were still not over $200 mil.

The fact that the estate got $250 mil for 10 projects (mostly album related) is unreal. This doesn't even include the rights to MJ's music! On top of this, MJ's estate also got higher royalties sold on each album. (approx 25%!)

Here's a great read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/22/business/media/22jackson.html

^^ NICE! :punk: Thanks! :D

Last edited:

^ The $250 million dollar deal was the largest in history period. No artist has ever been offered that much money , and in fact even artists like Madonna and Jay Z whose deal included albums, AND touring were still not over $200 mil.

The fact that the estate got $250 mil for 10 projects (mostly album related) is unreal. This doesn't even include the rights to MJ's music! On top of this, MJ's estate also got higher royalties sold on each album. (approx 25%!)

Here's a great read:

Just a thought:
Sony execs must've heard at least some part of the material they paid for. It means they considered it good enough to sign such a deal...
I have faith there is some amazing music going to be released soon.

You do know that I'm defending MJ here, don't you?

Michael Jackson's wig possesses more talent and originality than GM's entire body could ever dream of.
I believe discussion on MJ's wig is forbidden on this website:)

Here's a great read:

Thanks Smooth. If the Estate gets 25% royalties, does that mean the Estate get $2.50 for each album sold (assuming the sales price is $10.00). So on top of $250 million, the Estate earns $$ on each album sold?

Could someone explain how music royalties work?

Just a thought:
Sony execs must've heard at least some part of the material they paid for. It means they considered it good enough to sign such a deal...
I have faith there is some amazing music going to be released soon.

exactly. i cannot imagine sony execs agreed to pay $250 million on songs that they have no idea of.

by the time the deal was signed, sony said there are at least 60 songs in the vault. sony must hear the songs and consider them worthwhile investment.

^ Yes , in addition to the $250 million Sony will pay the estate over the next 7 years... the estate will also receive 25% of all royalties on MJ albums sold.

For example, since MJ's death he has sold approximately 35 million albums globally. So the amount of money the estate received from album sales would be 35 X 2.50= 87.5 million or $87,500,000.00 . Not bad at all! That's assuming the average price for an album is $10 (for easy math).

Derek1984 are you really sure there will be an announcement next week? Or are you just guessing?

*sigh* Derek is prolly being sarcastic.

SC05... whats the news have they settled on a title yet? have you got an idea of what it might be for the album?

Here's a great read:

This can't be true because MJ already had the highest royalties in industry:

In 1980, he secured the highest royalty rate in the music industry: 37 percent of wholesale album profit.[22] 22 ^ Taraborrelli, p. 191

So if Sony gave the Estate higher royalties it has to be around 40% on each album sold.

You can find this information on wikipedia or in Taraborrelli book...

And when the album comes out, the MJ fan community will:

asterix144.jpg
:lol:

Exactly! A great celebration! :wild: :punk: :dance: :cheers:

Come on then what do you think the album will be called, it will be announced soon? Here is my three guesses:

Legacy
Another Day (why not? all MJ albums have always contained the album name as a track)
MICHAEL

Whoever gets it right, must have some inside information, do you see what I'm gettin at?

^ 37% of wholesale profit is much less than 25% of the final CD list price in stores.

^ Smooth do you know what the album is called, I just wondered, obviously if you did know you wouldn't be able to say, do you know yes or no? I'm just curious thats all!

P.S I personally believe every thing you say on this thread is true.

Ok .. so Im not an 'insider' or anything, but I deal with some people in the industry and one of my clients told me (works for Sony Music Marketing) that they were expecting a couple of announcements regarding releases this year this coming Tuesday and again on the 5th of October.

Im hoping one of those is the MJ thing ..... he didnt know what the announcement was about. He's just assuming it's Michaels thing since that's the rumour.

I hope so!!!

Im not asking to be called a liar in this thread. 90% of this thread is mental.

Just saying is all that it MIGHT be on one of those dates.

This can't be true because MJ already had the highest royalties in industry:

In 1980, he secured the highest royalty rate in the music industry: 37 percent of wholesale album profit.[22] 22 ^ Taraborrelli, p. 191

So if Sony gave the Estate higher royalties it has to be around 40% on each album sold.

You can find this information on wikipedia or in Taraborrelli book...

Wikipedia is not reliable. Anyone can add their own stuff to anything posted on there. As far as Taborrelli's book. he's been known to stretch the truth. He's not as legit as some would make you think

next week will be great. - or the next week. :lol:

Derek1984 could very well be right. Only a few days ago MJStar posted this: "MJSTAR are very excited about the news they have heard! Not long now!".

Also going by what arnspecs said above, its very likely we could FINALLY be getting an announcement next week.

Well, amazon.com generally reveals details about albuns (like track list) two months before the releases. So the next week would be perfect for it.

Derek1984 could very well be right. Only a few days ago MJStar posted this: "MJSTAR are very excited about the news they have heard! Not long now!".

Also going by what arnspecs said above, its very likely we could FINALLY be getting an announcement next week.

MJstar is not reliable. For years they've made claims on stuff that has been proven to be untrue. They probably won't reveal anything until official word gets out, and then they'll claim it was them who knew it all along.

I hope Get Out Of The Rain and I really, really like that song! I love his lauging in it. UGH! Im on pin and needles. I just wan't this to be good for MJ. We need to make this cd number One globally!

It could be great if we could get a special edition of the new album. A double CD! One with final touches by the current artists involved in the project and the other one untouched, just as Michael left it.

It could be great if we could get a special edition of the new album. A double CD! One with final touches by the current artists involved in the project and the other one untouched, just as Michael left it.

yes, i hope it will be what you're saying

j'en reve

Just a thought... Since MJ recorded a song called "Imma miss you" or "Miss you" with Will. I. Am for the new album, it would be very fitting to put this song on the album, if it´s good enough. Yes, I know Will has said that his recordings with Michael won´t see the light of day, but at least he could look between the fingers with this song. I mean, MJ recorded it as a tribute to James Brown after his passing, but here he could be in the position of singing to himself :)

It would be fantastic for fans to have that song released, I would assume.

Im really hoping that this Hold My Hand is a different version where MJ sings the majority of it.

I am really not a big fan of the one we have all heard.

The will.i.am tracks are classic MJ. Next week is the time a new era begins.

You've been very confident about those Will tracks haven't you...

That's a really good idea! I really like that. :) I doubt they'll think of doing that but it would be really amazing if they did.

The wait... Is ... Kill.. me.. ;_;

It is a great idea!!
I can't wait!!! I want to hear Another Day Complete!

Back