Michael Jackson's Vision' DVD Boxed Set Available Everywhere Monday November 22

just got this set today in the mail from ebay.. $23 with shipping.. brand new.. cant beat that!!

im watching disc 1 right now.. so far the quality could def be improved.. but overall it's a pretty great set..

besides the awesome booklet it came with, and the hologram cover, the random mix option is awesome!

cant wait til all these are one day released on blu-ray..... one day.........

-Dal

The only thing I like about 'Vision' is having all the videos together. The sound/picture quality is atrocious on some songs. I was watching Don't Stop and the quality was great. Then, Billie Jean right after it, and the difference in sound was terrible. I do like having the unreleased stuff as well.

i watched Vision last night with my new TV. i finally understand the complaints about the black box. it's indeed quite ugly. the black borders fill up a good amount of the frame. i understand the videos are not shot with 35mm film. but, how come the same videos on HIStory Vol. II fill up the whole screen? I mean when I watch HIStory Vol. II, the videos of TDCAU, Scream, YANA etc. look fine. I check the wide screen mode and notice the videos on HIStory II are not stretched out. They are in "FULL MODE"... I hope you get what I mean. Also, the sound mix is just too loud.

Anyway, I feel the quality of Vision is worse than the DVD's released previously.

i watched Vision last night with my new TV. i finally understand the complaints about the black box. it's indeed quite ugly. the black borders fill up a good amount of the frame. i understand the videos are not shot with 35mm film. but, how come the same videos on HIStory Vol. II fill up the whole screen? I mean when I watch HIStory Vol. II, the videos of TDCAU, Scream, YANA etc. look fine. I check the wide screen mode and notice the videos on HIStory II are not stretched out. They are in "FULL MODE"... I hope you get what I mean. Also, the sound mix is just too loud.

Anyway, I feel the quality of Vision is worse than the DVD's released previously.

Are you watching the dvd on an older "sqaure" TV by any chance? If so I think they chose to master the entire dvd in "anamorphic widescreen", the problem is half the videos are not widescreen so black bars are placed on the sides of the image. When watched on a older tv it "letterboxs" the image creating the problem your talking about. A pretty crappy move on Sony's part, but they probably could care less about people who don't yet have a widescreen tv.

Oh, and 95% of MJ's videos were shot on 35mm film, that has nothing to do with Sony's mastering choices for this collection.

The videos wouldn't look that good on Blu-ray. They'd have to go right back to the absolute original first-gen masters and work those for release.

Half true, True the videos won't look good on Blu ray right now. Going back to the first gen masters wouldn't matter either, the first gen masters are 480i resolution, as the videos were shot on film, they were edited on video. In order to have a true HD version of MJ's videos the original film negative would have to be found, scanned and re-edited on a modern system. The only videos that are HD ready are Thriller, Moonwalker & Ghosts, those where shot and edited on film for theatrical release. A film master exists for all 3 of these and they could have very nice HD releases (moonwalker already does).

Are you watching the dvd on an older "sqaure" TV by any chance? If so I think they chose to master the entire dvd in "anamorphic widescreen", the problem is half the videos are not widescreen so black bars are placed on the sides of the image. When watched on a older tv it "letterboxs" the image creating the problem your talking about. A pretty crappy move on Sony's part, but they probably could care less about people who don't yet have a widescreen tv.

Oh, and 95% of MJ's videos were shot on 35mm film, that has nothing to do with Sony's mastering choices for this collection.

Half true, True the videos won't look good on Blu ray right now. Going back to the first gen masters wouldn't matter either, the first gen masters are 480i resolution, as the videos were shot on film, they were edited on video. In order to have a true HD version of MJ's videos the original film negative would have to be found, scanned and re-edited on a modern system. The only videos that are HD ready are Thriller, Moonwalker & Ghosts, those where shot and edited on film for theatrical release. A film master exists for all 3 of these and they could have very nice HD releases (moonwalker already does).

All true. If they used the original film negatives then we could have every video in 1080i HD. Even 1080i HD is a reduction in quality from film quality, but still much better than standard definition. I suspect either it was too costly or would take too much time to produce as to why they didn't release them on Blu Ray. Let's pray they decide to release these on BR.

All true. If they used the original film negatives then we could have every video in 1080i HD. Even 1080i HD is a reduction in quality from film quality, but still much better than standard definition. I suspect either it was too costly or would take too much time to produce as to why they didn't release them on Blu Ray. Let's pray they decide to release these on BR.

The other factor is not only finding the original film, it's recreating all those special effects. From Dangerous on, a lot of the videos started to incorporate a lot of post production special effects which were done on 480i video. All of the special effects for Black or White, Remember the time, Scream etc would all have to be redone. It would be time consuming and costly. I'm sure one day they will be remastered for Blu, but at this time it doesn't look to be happening.

Nope. I have a wide-screen Sony TV now. HIStory on Film looks good on both my old square TV and wide-screen Sony TV. However, when I watch Vision with my wide-screen TV, I see black boxes. I can either leave the black boxes there (which is quite ugly to be honest) or to strecth the picture to fill up the whole screen...

Nope. I have a wide-screen Sony TV now. HIStory on Film looks good on both my old square TV and wide-screen Sony TV. However, when I watch Vision with my wide-screen TV, I see black boxes. I can either leave the black boxes there (which is quite ugly to be honest) or to strecth the picture to fill up the whole screen...

Really? That's interesting. I thought the black borders on the top, bottom, and sides, were just on the square tv, and that with widescreen, there wouldn't bee any black border on the top and bottom, but only on the sides since it was shot in 4:3. Is this not the case?

I have a feeling that well will never get hi-def versions of MJ's videos. Granted, MJ was a master of the music video, in the end, these are still just music videos. It's probably not worth it financially to go back and take the time to make hi-def versions of music videos. Outside of Thriller, Ghosts, and Moonwalker, I doubt there will ever be hi-def versions of MJ's videos.

Really? That's interesting. I thought the black borders on the top, bottom, and sides, were just on the square tv, and that with widescreen, there wouldn't bee any black border on the top and bottom, but only on the sides since it was shot in 4:3. Is this not the case?

Actually, you are right. There isn't any black bar on the top and bottom, just on the sides. My bad. Sorry for my misleading description.

However, my question remains. How come the same video on HIStory on Film can fill up the entire screen on my wide-screen TV without any strectching or any black bars on the side. :scratch:

Now, I understand why so many people are wishing for the Blu-ray release. I am watching This Is It Blu-ray now. It LOOKS and SOUNDS amazing!!! The quality of picture and sound blows me away. It's really miles ahead of Vision.

Seriously, all Michael's short films derseve to be enjoyed in Blu-ray quality...

Now, I understand why so many people are wishing for the Blu-ray release. I am watching This Is It Blu-ray now. It LOOKS and SOUNDS amazing!!! The quality of picture and sound blows me away. It's really miles ahead of Vision.

Seriously, all Michael's short films derseve to be enjoyed in Blu-ray quality...

But not many people have blu-ray players.DVD is predominant for now,so I kinda understand their choise.

But not many people have blu-ray players.DVD is predominant for now,so I kinda understand their choise.

I understand DVD is still much more popular than Blu-ray disc. I just got a Blu-ray disc player about one month ago myself. I have only one Blu-ray, which is This Is It.

However, Sony released only DVD not because most fans don't have Blu-rays, but because it's not cost effective to convert the films to high def.

Actually, you are right. There isn't any black bar on the top and bottom, just on the sides. My bad. Sorry for my misleading description.

However, my question remains. How come the same video on HIStory on Film can fill up the entire screen on my wide-screen TV without any strectching or any black bars on the side. :scratch:

Hmmm. Well we know that the non-widescreen short films like, say Beat It for example where shot in 4:3, meaning a square picture. So when you play it on a widescreen tv, the only way it would fill up the screen would be if it were stretched. My guess is maybe, the picture from the HIStory dvd is stretched on the screen, but that it is not very noticeable? I don't know..

I understand DVD is still much more popular than Blu-ray disc. I just got a Blu-ray disc player about one month ago myself. I have only one Blu-ray, which is This Is It.

However, Sony released only DVD not because most fans don't have Blu-rays, but because it's not cost effective to convert the films to high def.

Well I don't know if that's the thing.I heard that they might release Bucharest on Blu-Ray soon.I really don't like that concert very much because of the fan shots lol.I would really REMASTER that concert,this meaning that I would re-arrange all the camera shots to look better.

I am living in Romania(yeah near Bucharest xD) and most people here don't have a Blu-Ray player just because they can't afford because of the reduced sallaries and the big taxes.I think nicu_mjj who is also from Romania posted a similar post at the opening of this thread.I am sure that this isn't the only country with this kind of problems.

Beside this,I think that they will release them on blu ray eventually later.IMO they made a compilation of Videos for the new generation of fans and they had to make it faster,or it might be just a marketing strategy to release the same thing to get some money.

@Moe Jack they can do something like this:

This is a fan-made upscale by me.It's not a really upscale,it's made just because youtube compresses the video very much.The main idea is that they can upscale the video and also keep the black borders.Cutting the video in 16:9 and/or stretching can make the video look very bad.

So basically yes,they can release the videos in Blu-Ray keeping the original aspect ratio for those shot in 4:3(black borders along sides) but in theory the video quality can be improved.I would also enjoy some 5.1 surround sound to it,but also there are countries where people can't afford that and also it will take some time for the videos to be proper remastered and the sound to be perfectly mixed(This Is It - I really think it had the audio horribly mixed).

Hmmm. Well we know that the non-widescreen short films like, say Beat It for example where shot in 4:3, meaning a square picture. So when you play it on a widescreen tv, the only way it would fill up the screen would be if it were stretched. My guess is maybe, the picture from the HIStory dvd is stretched on the screen, but that it is not very noticeable? I don't know..

I think you are right. When I pop in the HIStory DVD, my TV automatically plays it in "Full Mode". May be it is stretched, but the effect is not too distorted, so I can't notice it.

I really don't know much about electronics. I just pop in the disc and hit play. I'll try switching to "Full Mode" when I play Vision and see if the black bars on the sides disappear.

Well I don't know if that's the thing.I heard that they might release Bucharest on Blu-Ray soon.I really don't like that concert very much because of the fan shots lol.I would really REMASTER that concert,this meaning that I would re-arrange all the camera shots to look better.

I am living in Romania(yeah near Bucharest xD) and most people here don't have a Blu-Ray player just because they can't afford because of the reduced sallaries and the big taxes.I think nicu_mjj who is also from Romania posted a similar post at the opening of this thread.I am sure that this isn't the only country with this kind of problems.

Beside this,I think that they will release them on blu ray eventually later.IMO they made a compilation of Videos for the new generation of fans and they had to make it faster,or it might be just a marketing strategy to release the same thing to get some money.

@Moe Jack they can do something like this:

This is a fan-made upscale by me.It's not a really upscale,it's made just because youtube compresses the video very much.The main idea is that they can upscale the video and also keep the black borders.Cutting the video in 16:9 and/or stretching can make the video look very bad.

So basically yes,they can release the videos in Blu-Ray keeping the original aspect ratio for those shot in 4:3(black borders along sides) but in theory the video quality can be improved.I would also enjoy some 5.1 surround sound to it,but also there are countries where people can't afford that and also it will take some time for the videos to be proper remastered and the sound to be perfectly mixed(This Is It - I really think it had the audio horribly mixed).

I also wish there will be Blu-ray release of the BAD tour, Dangerous Tour, HIStory Tour and all of the short films in the future.

I guess if Blu-ray format becomes predominant like the way DVD replaced VHS. Sony has no choice but to upgrade all of Michael's recordings to high def. We'll see.

I also wish there will be Blu-ray release of the BAD tour, Dangerous Tour, HIStory Tour and all of the short films in the future.

I guess if Blu-ray format becomes predominant like the way DVD replaced VHS. Sony has no choice but to upgrade all of Michael's recordings to high def. We'll see.

Bad Tour was filmed with 35mm cameras(HD) as seen in the Moonwalker Blu-Ray and maybe he also used those cameras for the other concerts.Munich was filmed with HD cameras also,so it's likely to have them on Blu Ray

Dorian - I hope you are right.

Bad tour on Blu-Ray would be perfect. L.A og Wembley thanks.

Release 12 different BAD tour concerts on Blu-Ray!!

I have a feeling that well will never get hi-def versions of MJ's videos. Granted, MJ was a master of the music video, in the end, these are still just music videos. It's probably not worth it financially to go back and take the time to make hi-def versions of music videos. Outside of Thriller, Ghosts, and Moonwalker, I doubt there will ever be hi-def versions of MJ's videos.

There might be, hi-def will grow and grow, untill DVD is just like VHS is now. We are talking a matter of a few years, as long as MJ's name is big enough, they will keep putting new products out, and with the invention and development of new and current technology, these conversions will become cheaper and easier. It's economics, if there is a demand for the product, it will usually arrive.

New RIAA video certification: Vision goes Multi Platinum.

Artist
JACKSON, MICHAEL
Title
...MICHAEL JACKSON'S VISION
Certification Date
02/15/2011
Label
LEGACY
Award Description
5.00x MULTI PLATINUM
Format
VIDEO LONGFORM
got this from one of mj facebook pages

Michael Jackson's Vision DVD Box-Set
is now 5x Platinum in the U.S.A.
:punk:

:wub:
souldreamer7

I just watched History on Film II DVD from 1995 and it is by far better than the Vision set all fill the screen of my LED screen and none appear pixelated. I'm not sure why a video produced in 1995 is better than one remastered in 2010. Wow. Even Mike MTV performance is pristine.

Back