Michael Jackson's Vision' DVD Boxed Set Available Everywhere Monday November 22

I just watched History on Film II DVD from 1995 and it is by far better than the Vision set all fill the screen of my LED screen and none appear pixelated. I'm not sure why a video produced in 1995 is better than one remastered in 2010. Wow. Even Mike MTV performance is pristine.

But how about the picture quality. Does it appear the same or different when you compare the two, disregardng frame size..

But how about the picture quality. Does it appear the same or different when you compare the two, disregardng frame size..

The picture quality is better on the History DVD. I've heard this before but never checked it out until today.

I just watched History on Film II DVD from 1995 and it is by far better than the Vision set all fill the screen of my LED screen and none appear pixelated. I'm not sure why a video produced in 1995 is better than one remastered in 2010. Wow. Even Mike MTV performance is pristine.

I understand what you are talking about. I've had similar experience. When I watched HIStory on Film II on my new wide-screen TV, the picture fill up the screen and the image doesn't look distorted much. The picture quality is good. When I watch Vision, there are black bars on the sides in the same video (TDCAU, YANA, SIM, etc.) :scratch:

Honestly, I prefer HIStory on Film than Vision. The black bars are quite distracting. If I watch in "wide zoom mode", the picture looks very distorted.

I know it doesn't make sense. But, HIStory on Film does look better on my TV.

I understand what you are talking about. I've had similar experience. When I watched HIStory on Film II on my new wide-screen TV, the picture fill up the screen and the image doesn't look distorted much. The picture quality is good. When I watch Vision, there are black bars on the sides in the same video (TDCAU, YANA, SIM, etc.) :scratch:

Honestly, I prefer HIStory on Film than Vision. The black bars are quite distracting. If I watch in "wide zoom mode", the picture looks very distorted.

Yes, HIStory on Film looks better on mine, too. I have a 46" plasma TV and Vision looks like shite on it. lol

Yes, HIStory on Film looks better on mine, too. I have a 46" plasma TV and Vision looks like shite on it. lol

I have a 46" LED-LCD TV. And, HIStory looks much better than Vision.

Hmmm..that's so weird. I mean a lack of improvement is one thing, but looking worse? That really sucks. Especially since they formatted it for widescreen TVs, you'd think it would look good on one. So what exactly about the picture looks worse..the color? The resolution? The sharpness? All of the above lol? Sorry for asking so many questions, it's just so mind-boggling for me that SONY, such a huge and professional company working on a product for MICHAEL JACKSON, greatest entertainer of all time, would release such a terrible product. It just doesn't make any sense to me strategically or financially. I mean everything else that doesn't matter about the product is absolutely wonderful..so how could what actually does matter..the content, be so screwed up? They even took the time to put intros for each video..so I just don't understand it. Such a shame..

Hmmm..that's so weird. I mean a lack of improvement is one thing, but looking worse? That really sucks. Especially since they formatted it for widescreen TVs, you'd think it would look good on one. So what exactly about the picture looks worse..the color? The resolution? The sharpness? All of the above lol? Sorry for asking so many questions, it's just so mind-boggling for me that SONY, such a huge and professional company working on a product for MICHAEL JACKSON, greatest entertainer of all time, would release such a terrible product. It just doesn't make any sense to me strategically or financially. I mean everything else that doesn't matter about the product is absolutely wonderful..so how could what actually does matter..the content, be so screwed up? They even took the time to put intros for each video..so I just don't understand it. Such a shame..

It seriously is worse. All of it. Some videos better than others. All in all, I'd rather watch HIStory on Film. The quality is outstanding compared to the crap they've churned out for the Vision DVD

All of the above!! It's like they lost the original video masters and used masters for broadcast television and not for DVD. I'm not sure why, but T.V. quality is not as good as DVD quality. If you watch TV Shows on DVD... compared to what airs on T.V. ,the DVD always seems better. Every video is mastered from another master for a particular purpose. A video could be mastered to play on Youtube and look sharp, but if you tried to used those youtube masters for DVD you'd get the quality we got on the Visions DVDs. lol.

It just looks as if they used a different set of masters than the History DVDs because the History DVD still look sharp despite not being HD. Something had to be up for them not use the same 5.0 used for History. Something happened that we're not aware of.

I know it doesn't make sense. But, it's true that the quality of Vision is nothing to cheer about.

There is a audio glitch at the beginning of Will You Be There and a green screen in the video of In the Closet.

I don't know whether they reformmated all videos for wide-screen. I see no improvement in resoluation and sharpness. For me, the black bars are just very distracting. The bars have a "squeezing" effect. They just make the screen very small.

Ok so I finally popped in my Vision DVD and compared it to HIStory dvd as well as Number Ones. First off I want to say that the quality of Vision was indeed sacrificed. It appears that they turned up the contrast like crazy, not taking into account how much that would distort the image. The color is a little over saturated as well. Billie Jean in particular looked so terrible I couldnt even watch it..EXTREMELY grainy in many scenes. Also Beat It and Dirty Diana have a small white box at the top of the screen when i view them on my comp for both Vision and Number Ones, but not History. From what I've seen, I feel like Number Ones probably had the best quality of them all. But to be quite honest, although I thought I would come out of this experiences hating Vision, I actually came out of it hating all the dvds lool. The quality on all of them is just not up to par with today's standards. It may look better on the TV screen, but when you examine the picture on a computer screen, you really get to see how poor the quality and transfers are. I was really disappointed to be honest. And it lead me to wonder...where exactly are the highest quality versions of Michael's videos? I'm actually getting quite annoyed and want to have these videos in high quality all of a sudden. So frustrating. I hate you Sony!

Ok so I finally popped in my Vision DVD and compared it to HIStory dvd as well as Number Ones. First off I want to say that the quality of Vision was indeed sacrificed. It appears that they turned up the contrast like crazy, not taking into account how much that would distort the image. The color is a little over saturated as well. Billie Jean in particular looked so terrible I couldnt even watch it..EXTREMELY grainy in many scenes. Also Beat It and Dirty Diana have a small white box at the top of the screen when i view them on my comp for both Vision and Number Ones, but not History. From what I've seen, I feel like Number Ones probably had the best quality of them all. But to be quite honest, although I thought I would come out of this experiences hating Vision, I actually came out of it hating all the dvds lool. The quality on all of them is just not up to par with today's standards. It may look better on the TV screen, but when you examine the picture on a computer screen, you really get to see how poor the quality and transfers are. I was really disappointed to be honest. And it lead me to wonder...where exactly are the highest quality versions of Michael's videos? I'm actually getting quite annoyed and want to have these videos in high quality all of a sudden. So frustrating. I hate you Sony!

The quality of Vision is indeed very disappointing. I can live with HIStory and Number Ones not up to par with today's standards. I mean, to be fair, they are not released in 2010.

However, the picture of Vision is so bad that it doesn't take a trained expert to notice the difference. Trust me, I don't sit there to pick on the picture quality. I just want to enjoy watching Michael.

Before buying Vision, I've already owned all of Michael's officially released DVD's and many other DVD's I downloaded online. So, Vision doesn't add much value to me to begin with. But, if I'm able to view all the videos in HD, then it's still a good purchase for me. I just can't imagine the quality of Vision being worse than HIStory.

The only saving grace is the video of APOM, which looks better than the unofficial one I downloaded.

The quality of Vision is indeed very disappointing. I can live with HIStory and Number Ones not up to par with today's standards. I mean, to be fair, they are not released in 2010.

However, the picture of Vision is so bad that it doesn't take a trained expert to notice the difference. Trust me, I don't sit there to pick on the picture quality. I just want to enjoy watching Michael.

Before buying Vision, I've already owned all of Michael's officially released DVD's and many other DVD's I downloaded online. So, Vision doesn't add much value to me to begin with. But, if I'm able to view all the videos in HD, then it's still a good purchase for me. I just can't imagine the quality of Vision being worse than HIStory.

The only saving grace is the video of APOM, which looks better than the unofficial one I downloaded.

Well, although these videos are many years old now, and several decades old in some cases, I still think they could have truly remastered these short films. The same way that the vast majority of movies released on DVD today and in the past 10 years have been digitally remastered and cleaned up. I was hoping they would do with these videos what they did with something like the original star wars trilogy. There's a very stark difference between the original and the cleaned up versions of those films even though they're over 30 years old. Sure it cost many millions of dollars, but hey they also sold many millions of copies on dvd and can now use the same high quality versions for the upcoming blu ray release.

I really think a priority for the estate should be to go back to the masters of these original 35 short films and clean them up to perfection. They will really look gorgeous. Plus, the real work is primarily on the first half, off the wall through bad. The rest are much better and easier to remaster i think. I first started getting excited about HD versions of these short films when i watched an extremely high quality cleaned up version of smooth criminal on youtube. I have to say it was a jaw-dropping experience. It looked sooo much better than any version I had ever seen. The color, the resolution, the details, all sharp and crystal clear. I realize that smooth criminal in particular was featured in moonwalker and so naturally has better quality, but all of MJ's films were shot on 35 mm, and theoretically, they could go back to the masters and get beautiful high resolution versions of them. My main excitement over Vision was that it had all 35 short films in one package. But like you said, it's all about enjoying Michael, so I guess until sony releases hd versions, I'l just sit back and enjoy what we have.

Well, although these videos are many years old now, and several decades old in some cases, I still think they could have truly remastered these short films. The same way that the vast majority of movies released on DVD today and in the past 10 years have been digitally remastered and cleaned up. I was hoping they would do with these videos what they did with something like the original star wars trilogy. There's a very stark difference between the original and the cleaned up versions of those films even though they're over 30 years old. Sure it cost many millions of dollars, but hey they also sold many millions of copies on dvd and can now use the same high quality versions for the upcoming blu ray release.

I really think a priority for the estate should be to go back to the masters of these original 35 short films and clean them up to perfection. They will really look gorgeous. Plus, the real work is primarily on the first half, off the wall through bad. The rest are much better and easier to remaster i think. I first started getting excited about HD versions of these short films when i watched an extremely high quality cleaned up version of smooth criminal on youtube. I have to say it was a jaw-dropping experience. It looked sooo much better than any version I had ever seen. The color, the resolution, the details, all sharp and crystal clear. I realize that smooth criminal in particular was featured in moonwalker and so naturally has better quality, but all of MJ's films were shot on 35 mm, and theoretically, they could go back to the masters and get beautiful high resolution versions of them. My main excitement over Vision was that it had all 35 short films in one package. But like you said, it's all about enjoying Michael, so I guess until sony releases hd versions, I'l just sit back and enjoy what we have.

Now, I'm thinking about getting the Blu-ray of Moonwalker. It's not available in retail in the US. May be I'll order from Amazon.

Thinking about watching SC and performance of MITM in HD get me excited.

Now, I'm thinking about getting the Blu-ray of Moonwalker. It's not available in retail in the US. May be I'll order from Amazon.

Thinking about watching SC and performance of MITM in HD get me excited.

Yes, yes, yes! Order it from amazon uk :wild:

(don't forget about Come Together :shifty:)

It's AWESOME

It's funny to read this thread because of peoples miscomprehension of how video technology works.

History was mastered as a full screen DVD. The TV in question is likely scaling the image to fill the whole screen either my stretching it or chopping off the top and bottom. Either way your distorting the video.

VISION on the other hand is mastered as a widescreen DVD. In order to do this they have to place the full frame videos within the pillarboxed frame - the black bars you see on the sides. You're getting the full image and not distorting it at all. Were they to master it the other way around they would have to letterbox the widescreen content (black bars at the top and bottom) and if you were to blow it up to fill the screen you'd be distorting that image quality.

Sony clearly decided that in todays days of Widescreen televisions it makes more sense to master in widescreen format. this is the RIGHT choice.

now bear in mind you have to blow up a 480i image to either 720p or 1080p. Thats a HUGE jump in resolution and for ANY DVD to look good is quite the wonder.

I have watched vision on my 32" tv and to my eyes it looks great. Remember, they never said they remastered the video, just newly colour corrected (which is what 98% of the fans are doing for their remastered concerts they upload here at MJJC). This doesn't mean they've cleaned up the video in any way, they are just shifting the colour balance, or changing the colours to look better.

Vision is the most definitive collection of Michael's short films we have to date, and to my eyes it looks great. Not perfect, but half of these videos are almost 20 years old and shot on crappy quality video. Video degrades, and it would make sense that a set mastered 10 years after the History set might look slightly different.

But there's no reason not to get this one. It looks great. It sounds REALLY great. And you get to see just about everything Michael put out as a solo artist.

Worth every penny in my books.

But to each his own I guess.

It's funny to read this thread because of peoples miscomprehension of how video technology works.

History was mastered as a full screen DVD. The TV in question is likely scaling the image to fill the whole screen either my stretching it or chopping off the top and bottom. Either way your distorting the video.

VISION on the other hand is mastered as a widescreen DVD. In order to do this they have to place the full frame videos within the pillarboxed frame - the black bars you see on the sides. You're getting the full image and not distorting it at all. Were they to master it the other way around they would have to letterbox the widescreen content (black bars at the top and bottom) and if you were to blow it up to fill the screen you'd be distorting that image quality.

Sony clearly decided that in todays days of Widescreen televisions it makes more sense to master in widescreen format. this is the RIGHT choice.

now bear in mind you have to blow up a 480i image to either 720p or 1080p. Thats a HUGE jump in resolution and for ANY DVD to look good is quite the wonder.

I have watched vision on my 32" tv and to my eyes it looks great. Remember, they never said they remastered the video, just newly colour corrected (which is what 98% of the fans are doing for their remastered concerts they upload here at MJJC). This doesn't mean they've cleaned up the video in any way, they are just shifting the colour balance, or changing the colours to look better.

Vision is the most definitive collection of Michael's short films we have to date, and to my eyes it looks great. Not perfect, but half of these videos are almost 20 years old and shot on crappy quality video. Video degrades, and it would make sense that a set mastered 10 years after the History set might look slightly different.

But there's no reason not to get this one. It looks great. It sounds REALLY great. And you get to see just about everything Michael put out as a solo artist.

Worth every penny in my books.

But to each his own I guess.

Is your 32" a 1080p HD tv? If so, can you elaborate on the picture quality, Im quite interested. Second, the whole formatting thing makes sense I guess, but when I watch, for example, don't stop till you get enough from vision on my computer and then watch it from number ones or history, the difference isn't just color. It's like they really turned up the sharpness, or the contrast i don't know, which gets distracting. But maybe doing so makes it look better on an HD 1080p tv..i don't know. Any thoughts?

I understand what you are saying. In fact, Live at Bucharest looks horrible on my TV. My TV stretches the image to fill the screen. As a result, Michael looks shorter and wider. I'm still trying to figure whether I can view that DVD in "letter box" format. I'm too lazy to read the manual.

HIStory, on the other hand, just doesn't look bad. I know it doesn't make sense. My TV probably stretches the image as well. But, the image just doesn't look distorted. My naked eyes really can't tell.

In terms of sound, needless to say, TII BR is the best.

Is your 32" a 1080p HD tv? If so, can you elaborate on the picture quality, Im quite interested. Second, the whole formatting thing makes sense I guess, but when I watch, for example, don't stop till you get enough from vision on my computer and then watch it from number ones or history, the difference isn't just color. It's like they really turned up the sharpness, or the contrast i don't know, which gets distracting. But maybe doing so makes it look better on an HD 1080p tv..i don't know. Any thoughts?

It's a 720p HD TV but my MacBook Pro IS a 1080p screen and it looks just as good on it. A little soft (especially since the MBP doesn't have any upscaling software) but still totally watchable.

As for contrast and sharpness - that's part of the colour correction process. I somehow doubt that the HIStory disc was timed like this was. We're all probably more used to the HIStory videos because that's what we've seen for so long, but if sony did their job PROPERLY and hired and actual colourist what we're seeing on VISION is the most accurate version of how those videos should look (beyond any specific colour timing decisions by individual directors).

Its standard def video my friends. It's never going to look perfect on an HDTV, especially when compared to an HD source.

In terms of sound, needless to say, TII BR is the best.

Absolutely. It's unparalleled.

It's a 720p HD TV but my MacBook Pro IS a 1080p screen and it looks just as good on it. A little soft (especially since the MBP doesn't have any upscaling software) but still totally watchable.

As for contrast and sharpness - that's part of the colour correction process. I somehow doubt that the HIStory disc was timed like this was. We're all probably more used to the HIStory videos because that's what we've seen for so long, but if sony did their job PROPERLY and hired and actual colourist what we're seeing on VISION is the most accurate version of how those videos should look (beyond any specific colour timing decisions by individual directors).

Its standard def video my friends. It's never going to look perfect on an HDTV, especially when compared to an HD source.

I see. Interesting stuff. By the way, what's color timing? Always wondered about that.

P.S. I know this is kind've random, but I was thinking of switching to a MacBook this summer and was wondering, can you play avi files on quicktime? As my entire movie library is in avi. Also, since macs don't have right-clicking, what's the alternative to right clicking on an image, online let's say, and saving it to your documents like you do on a pc. Thanks :)!

Colour Timing = Colour Correction (more or less).

Correction is the act of bringing colours back to their natural state (making whites white, blues blue, etc).

Timing is the act of giving a look or feel to your colour - saturating the image more, adding more blue to give a more cool look, adding yellow to make a shot more warm. Think of Steven Soderberg's "Traffic".

But essentially they're the same thing.

As for your second question: yes. you can play AVIs you just need to install the codec (usually divx), use a little preference pane called Perian, or use an app like VLC/Movist. As for right clicking, it does have it. Place two fingers on the trackpad and click. Away you go.

Feel free to contact me privately if you have any other questions.

Just ordered Moonwalker BR.... Can't wait... :wild:

Oh yay! It's simply superb :wild:

It is quite good. The colour is a little bit off (very saturated and vibrant) and the audio could be better (it's not the best mix i've ever heard) but all in all much better than the DVD.

Also, for our North American friends: I can confirm that the UK version you can buy WILL work in North American Bluray players. I got mine from Amazon.co.uk and plays just fine in both my Set-top bluray machine and my PS3 (in Canada)

http://cl.ly/5I5F

Thats one of the awesome things about blurays. A lot of them are region free (I think anything from Warners certainly is) and because they dont really have NTSC/PAL issues anymore (most are encoded with at 24p) if they are region free they'll play just about anywhere in the world. It's so much nicer than friggen DVDs.

Just ordered Moonwalker BR.... Can't wait... :wild:

awesome!! i live in cali and i bought it off ebay for $13! (hey!)

anyways.. as soon as i got it in the mail i popped in my PS3 and watched the entire thing on my 50" HD LED TV..

and i kid u not.. it was like watching it for the first time ALL OVER AGAIN!!

ur going to die watching it.. its amazing.. fill us in when u do finally watch it..

-Dal

It is quite good. The colour is a little bit off (very saturated and vibrant) and the audio could be better (it's not the best mix i've ever heard) but all in all much better than the DVD.

Also, for our North American friends: I can confirm that the UK version you can buy WILL work in North American Bluray players. I got mine from Amazon.co.uk and plays just fine in both my Set-top bluray machine and my PS3 (in Canada)

http://cl.ly/5I5F

Thats one of the awesome things about blurays. A lot of them are region free (I think anything from Warners certainly is) and because they dont really have NTSC/PAL issues anymore (most are encoded with at 24p) if they are region free they'll play just about anywhere in the world. It's so much nicer than friggen DVDs.

BR is awesome!!! I got my first BR disc player earlier this year and I fell in love with watching Blu-ray. Yes, being region free is a big plus. So, it doesn't matter where the disc is released anymore. You can play it anywhere.

I remember I used to buy my mom a cheap DVD player just for her to watch her pirated Chinese DVDs, becasue the name brand DVD players (Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc...) won't play her DVD's.

awesome!! i live in cali and i bought it off ebay for $13! (hey!)

anyways.. as soon as i got it in the mail i popped in my PS3 and watched the entire thing on my 50" HD LED TV..

and i kid u not.. it was like watching it for the first time ALL OVER AGAIN!!

ur going to die watching it.. its amazing.. fill us in when u do finally watch it..

-Dal

I ordered a copy yesterday from Amazon last night for USD $23 (including shipping). Oh well... the price is still decent...

I can't wait now. I'm so excited... :wild::wild::wild:

Off topic: I downloaded many DVD's (HIStory Munich, Dangerous Dairy, PHM, the Oprah Interview, Primetime Interview, etc....) online and burned them into DVD discs. I was able to play them on my laptop and my old DVD players; however, I can't play some of the downloaded DVD's with my BR disc player. Do you know why?

I burned them with Nero. But, I don't think Nero is the issue because I can view them with my laptop. My BR player just don't like some of my burned DVD's....

BR is awesome!!! I got my first BR disc player earlier this year and I fell in love with watching Blu-ray. Yes, being region free is a big plus. So, it doesn't matter where the disc is released anymore. You can play it anywhere.

I remember I used to buy my mom a cheap DVD player just for her to watch her pirated Chinese DVDs, becasue the name brand DVD players (Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc...) won't play her DVD's.

I ordered a copy yesterday from Amazon last night for USD $23 (including shipping). Oh well... the price is still decent...

Off topic: I downloaded many DVD's (HIStory Munich, Dangerous Dairy, PHM, the Oprah Interview, Primetime Interview, etc....) online and burned them into DVD discs. I was able to play them on my laptop and my old DVD players; however, I can't play some of the downloaded DVD's with my BR disc player. Do you know why?

I burned them with Nero. But, I don't think Nero is the issue because I can view them with my laptop. My BR player just don't like some of my burned DVD's....

$23 including shipping is a steal! That's a great price for BR, not to mention shipping inclusion....I can't remember how much I paid for my Moonwalker BR as I bought it last June...It must have been more than that, I'm thinking...(well, likely was being in CAD)

Well, careful now. Blurays can still be region locked or NTSC/PAL, its just a lot less common. Make sure to do research before you buy a disc from other countries as theres a chance it wont play. But some studios, Warner Bros. for example, are pretty much always region free.

Also, bear in mind, BRPlayers are still region coded and have an NTSC/PAL signal. Most of the DVDs here at MJJC are PAL and if your bluray player is NTSC you WONT be able to watch them. My PS3 cannot play PAL DVDs (of course if I copy them over as video files to the internal harddrive on the PS3 itself they play just fine).

Well, careful now. Blurays can still be region locked or NTSC/PAL, its just a lot less common. Make sure to do research before you buy a disc from other countries as theres a chance it wont play. But some studios, Warner Bros. for example, are pretty much always region free.

Also, bear in mind, BRPlayers are still region coded and have an NTSC/PAL signal. Most of the DVDs here at MJJC are PAL and if your bluray player is NTSC you WONT be able to watch them. My PS3 cannot play PAL DVDs (of course if I copy them over as video files to the internal harddrive on the PS3 itself they play just fine).

Thank you so much for your explanation. I live in the U.S. and own a Sony BR player. So, I guess my BR player has NTSC signal.

Why most of the DVDs here are PAL? Becasue they are orginated in Europe/Asia?

Why most of the DVDs here are PAL? Becasue they are orginated in Europe/Asia?

You got it! And sadly a PAL > NTSC conversion ain't easy. I've been trying for some time now. Thankfully with a PS3 I can just send the digital files over and play 'em that way.

You got it! And sadly a PAL > NTSC conversion ain't easy. I've been trying for some time now. Thankfully with a PS3 I can just send the digital files over and play 'em that way.

Hmm... shall I get a PS3 now? I'm not a gamer at all. I'm planning to buy either WII, PS3 or xBox to play the Experience.

I gave away my old DVD player too soon. I thought a BR player plays everything. Now, I have all these treasure that I can't play. I can still watch them with my laptop. But, I like to watch Michael on TV screen.

Back