Michael Jackson's Vision' DVD Boxed Set Available Everywhere Monday November 22

Please can someone answer me?
Do you get a green flash during the In The Closet video on your dvd?

Here's a pic. It was hard to take because it's very quick:

ITC-Vision.jpg

You should probably return you DVD then...cuz even if someone else has it, it still shouldn't be there...

But why are the videos in 4:3 and sme full screen?
is it because of the picture quality
If I watch them on history I must say they're not so good in quality as in the new dvd
But i still prefer full or widescreens

That's weird...
Some of us (including me) got this green flash and it seems like some others didn't...

That's weird...
Some of us (including me) got this green flash and it seems like some others didn't...
Hmmm... well that's interesting. I guess I might as well keep it if it's not just mine. I would probably end up with another copy with the same problem if I sent it back. :p

I hope I don't have that problem. :no:

But the green flash is very very short. I didn't notice it until Nova showed it.

But in fact, I don't think that Sony put much work in this DVD Set. The videos don't look remastered, they have 4:3 ratio and now some of us notice production errors...

Oh, thanks for your feedback regarding the green flash, guys. Much appreciated.

Guys, the reason why the majority of the videos are 4x3 is because that was the aspect ratio the videos were filmed for. Surly most of you are old enough to remember that Tv's used to be square. With the exception of Thriller, Moonwalker and Ghosts. All of Mj's videos were made to be shown on TV, therefore the frame is 4x3. These videos being shown in 4x3 are not a glitch, error or screw up on Sony's end, they are the proper way to present the videos.

Some of the videos in the 90's up until OMC were shot with different aspect ratios. I don't have the dvds yet, but everyone is saying that the videos filmed for widescreen are presented in 16x9, which is the proper way to present these videos. Although someone has said that the 16x9 videos look bad, my fear is that they "zoomed" in on the old transfers to create an anamorphic image, which would explain why they look bad.

Well I agree with most of you've said SKIZZORPUPPY but videos like Bad, TWYMF, Dirty Diana, Black or White, etc... were shot with 35mm/ Panavision optical. Since the 50's moviemakers had the choice to shoot at 1:85 or 2:35 but then they were able show them 1:33 (4/3) for homescreen of that time. Just like they did with Thriller (35mm - 1:85 - panavision) : widescreen edition when released in Theather (yeah it was) and 4:3 for homevideo.

Sony and the Estate don't want to make Widescreen/HD transfert right now because it costs a little bit time and money, but they want to make cash RIGHT NOW.

Anyway i'm gonna buy it for my collection and especially for OMC

35MM is basically square, the way you get a 1.85:1 image is by matting off the top and bottom of the frame. To get a 2.35:1 image you use an anamorphic lens set up. MJ's videos being shot on films does not mean there is are widescreen versions for all of them. If they were to go an make new masters from the film neg for a widescreen tv they would have to chop the top and bottom of the frame. The videos were framed for 4x3 therefore you would be loosing image that was intended to be seen.

Unlike the case for Thriller, it was framed to be shown in 1.85:1, but the matts are open for tv viewing. The lighting rig being visible in the graveyard seen is proof, Landis didn't intend for that to be seen, but opening the matts for TV is less expensive than pan scanning. Letterboxing was not as common or accepted at the time. Compare the Blu Ray framing of Moonwalker's Smooth Criminal to the framing on the full screen dvd of Smooth Criminal. You'll see that while Blu Ray has a widescreen image it actually contains less image, the top and bottom of the frame have been cut off. The Blu Ray is probably the proper framing though and Moonwalker was intended to be shown in theaters.

Now when the Blu Ray of MJ's videos comes they will have to go back to the original film neg (Which should be easy for anything before the dangerous videos as they were edited on film, anything after was edited on video and will require A LOT of work to put back together for HD.) they might create widescreen versions, but they will be cutting away image that was not meant to be cut away.

Here are the proper framing for all of MJ's videos on vision.
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough 1.33:1
Rock With You 1.33:1
She's Out of My Life 1.33:1
Billie Jean 1.33:1
Beat It 1.33:1
Thriller 1.33:1 tv version, Theater screenings in 84 were matted at 1.85:1. I'm unsure if Landis framed it this way. But the lighting flub in the graveyard may have meant to be matted off.
Bad 1.33:1
The Way You Make Me Feel 1.33:1
Man In the Mirror (1.33:1 for news/montage version/ Matted 1.85:1 Moonwalker version)
Dirty Diana 1.33:1
Smooth Criminal (1.33:1 tv version/ Matted 1.85:1 Moonwalker version)
Another Part of Me 1.33:1
Speed Demon 1.33:1 tv version/ Matted 1.85:1 Moonwalker version
Come Together 1.33:1 tv version/ Matted 1.85:1 Moonwalker version
Leave Me Alone 1.85:1 (because it was created using optical effects it has a fixed Aspect ratio, this is why even in Full Screen versions of Moonwalker it is letterboxed)
Liberian Girl 1.33:1
Black or White 1.33:1
Remember The Time 1.85:1
In the Closet 1.33:1
Jam 1.66:1
Heal The World 1.33:1
Give In To Me 1.33:1
Who Is It 2.35:1
Will You Be There 1.85:1 (Although someone mentioned that it appears anamorphic on the vision dvd. Strange because the video uses footage from the MTV special, which was early 90's broadcast video, which certainly wasn't anamorphic. I'm interested to see what the deal is quality wise for this video. EDIT: I have learned the letterboxing was done in the edit in 1992. By that doesn't make the video in true 16x9, in fact when blown up to 16x9 is looses so much quality it's probably not worth it.)
Gone Too Soon 1.33:1
Scream 1.33:1
Childhood 1.85:1
You Are Not Alone 1.33:1
Earth Song 1.33:1
They Don't Care About Us 1.33:1 Both versions
Stranger In Moskow 1.85:1
Blood On The Dancefloor 1.33:1 All versions
Ghosts 1.33:1 tv version/ Matted 1.85:1 theater version
You Rock My World 1.85:1
Cry 2:35:1

Last edited:
I got mine yeserday, box looks good and quality is very good of short films imo,
i like the whole package about time we had all MJ s short films in one box .
Nice to see one more chance on there as well i LOVE IT !

i also received my box from Amazon in the US today.
The packaging and booklet are very nicely done, especially the cover, really neat.
I haven't compared directly with the HIStory or Dangerous DVD's, but
here are some thoughts after quickly skimming through the DVD's:

I really don't think much remastering or restoration went into these.
Most of the videos look very soft, lack of definition, while some videos have boosted colors.
Remember The Time, Jam, Will You Be There, Who Is It, Childhood, Stranger In Moscow, U Rock My World and Cry are 16x9 while the rest are 4x3.
However, I believe that Remember, Jam, WYBT are cropped to fill the 16x9 frame, not sure why they did that.
And also DVD's only have 2.0 LPCM audio, that is really unacceptable in 2010 for a major release like this.
Yes folks, this is another cash grab from Sony.
This is NOT the definitive MJ short films package we all wanted as far as actual video/audio quality goes.
I'm sure they will release it on BD in the future, we'll see what they give us then.
I'm kinda disappointed with this.

Last edited:
Though I should say it's nice to have all MJ videos in one handy collection, it really isn't an upgrade in my opinion over the HIStory/ Dangerous DVD's.
Also, where is the video he did with Edddie Murphie in 92/93? It should have been included on the bonus disc.

i also received my box from Amazon in the US today.
The packaging and booklet are very nicely done, especially the cover, really neat.
I haven't compared directly with the HIStory or Dangerous DVD's, but
here are some thoughts after quickly skimming through the DVD's:

I really don't think much remastering or restoration went into these.
Most of the videos look very soft, lack of definition, while some videos have boosted colors.
Remember The Time, Jam, Will You Be There, Who Is It, Childhood, Stranger In Moscow, U Rock My World and Cry are 16x9 while the rest are 4x3.
However, I believe that Remember, Jam, WYBT are cropped to fill the 16x9 frame, not sure why they did that.
And also DVD's only have 2.0 LPCM audio, that is really unacceptable in 2010 for a major release like this.
Yes folks, this is another cash grab from Sony.
This is NOT the definitive MJ short films package we all wanted as far as actual video/audio quality goes.
I'm sure they will release it on BD in the future, we'll see what they give us then.
I'm kinda disappointed with this.

...well, this is a remarkable bummer...:no:

I personally love it! I don't mind the black bars. This is a great collection. Its good to have videos on there that you never really see on tv e.g. Speed Demon, Gone too Soon etc.
10/10 from me.
Also, the song intro's are awesome :D

Remember the time probably isn't cropped too much as the letterbox ratio is 1.85:1.
Jam however probably is cropped a bit to fit the 16x9 frame.

WYBT was letterboxed from video, but it will never look that great in true 16x9 because it used footage from 480i video cameras. When cropping it like that to be blown on on a widescreen display the actual images probably only have around 375i lines of resolution.

Strange that they chose to do this, Also even though these are now 16x9 I am almost certain that they just blew up the old masters to fill the screen. Which is very disappointing, they really could look so much better than this! They have been using the same broadcast masters for almost 30 years in some cases. Yes it would require a lot of work and money to bring these to today's HD standards, but it's not like they wouldn't get their money back! I guess maybe this boxset will be used to bankroll future projects... One can hope.

Hopefully someone at Sony will put up the money to bring these videos to Blu Ray.

Hopefully someone at Sony will put up the money to bring these videos to Blu Ray.

Really hope so. have not bought this dvd as i have most of them already, but would happily buy again on blu ray. hope sony give mj some blu ray loving.

The fact that the picture quality may not be improved is a bummer, but most importantly, I hope it's not any WORSE than the previous releases :(!! What do you guys who've received it think?

IT Beats changing DVD's to watch different eras of Music videos!!! I dont know when I'm getting mine but I hope its soon!!!

L.o.v.e.
Romi

I agree. But I was just a bit worried about some comments regarding quality of the videos. Hope it's not noticeably worse than previous versions...

Back