Michael Jackson death had more impact Than 9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but if you're going to allow a debate on this kind of subject you can't seriously expect it to remain civil. It's a bit of an emotional subject, don't you think?

It's also a bit strange you didn't speak on the issue when other members were ranting and raving anti-American sentiment and claiming that Bush (who I do not like at all, btw) set up these attacks and murdered his own citizens. If you don't stop the debate there, then you will get these type of responses.

In fact, I'd appreciate it if you lock the thread. There really isn't much it can accomplish within these parameters outside of starting a huge intra-MJ fan fight.

All you have to do is say "I don't agree". Calling people delusional could have, and may very well have, been interpreted as an insult.

I personally don't believe that Bush masterminded a conspiracy and attacked his own people in order to give him a reason to declare war on Iraq. I don't believe that he would do that. That is my opinion and I have a right to my opinion. If others believe otherwise, then they have a right to an opinion as well WITHOUT being insulted.

:blink:Wow...ok, some on here are really sayin hurtful things, and i dont know if its because of the sensitiveness or if its just plain stupidity! I'm not trying to insult anyone but reading some of the comments have me going to the *Gold Pants thread*!:unsure::blush:

But in whole Honesty, This thread will be closed soon, its the same B.S. that has made other threads close too.

remember R-E-S-P-E-C-T? well looking at this thread...*shakes head* Personally, i think its really childish! If you dont agree with the comments posted, then leave it be or if you have to reply to it do it in a nice way... Dont degrade or insult others. Cuz we're all here for the same reason...Just keep that in mind!

L.O.V.E.
Romi

Last edited:
http://nymag.com/news/articles/wtc/1year/numbers.htm

Death, destruction, charity, salvation, war, money, real estate, spouses, babies, and other September 11 statistics.

The initial numbers are indelible: 8:46 a.m. and 9:02 a.m. Time the burning towers stood: 56 minutes and 102 minutes. Time they took to fall: 12 seconds. From there, they ripple out.

* Total number killed in attacks (official figure as of 9/5/02): 2,819

* Number of firefighters and paramedics killed: 343

* Number of NYPD officers: 23

* Number of Port Authority police officers: 37

* Number of WTC companies that lost people: 60

* Number of employees who died in Tower One: 1,402

* Number of employees who died in Tower Two: 614

* Number of employees lost at Cantor Fitzgerald: 658

* Number of U.S. troops killed in Operation Enduring Freedom: 22

* Number of nations whose citizens were killed in attacks: 115

* Ratio of men to women who died: 3:1

* Age of the greatest number who died: between 35 and 39

* Bodies found "intact": 289

* Body parts found: 19,858

* Number of families who got no remains: 1,717

* Estimated units of blood donated to the New York Blood Center: 36,000

* Total units of donated blood actually used: 258

* Number of people who lost a spouse or partner in the attacks: 1,609

* Estimated number of children who lost a parent: 3,051

* Percentage of Americans who knew someone hurt or killed in the attacks: 20

* FDNY retirements, January–July 2001: 274

* FDNY retirements, January–July 2002: 661

* Number of firefighters on leave for respiratory problems by January 2002: 300

* Number of funerals attended by Rudy Giuliani in 2001: 200

* Number of FDNY vehicles destroyed: 98

* Tons of debris removed from site: 1,506,124

* Days fires continued to burn after the attack: 99

* Jobs lost in New York owing to the attacks: 146,100

* Days the New York Stock Exchange was closed: 6

* Point drop in the Dow Jones industrial average when the NYSE reopened: 684.81

* Days after 9/11 that the U.S. began bombing Afghanistan: 26

* Total number of hate crimes reported to the Council on American-Islamic Relations nationwide since 9/11: 1,714

* Economic loss to New York in month following the attacks: $105 billion

* Estimated cost of cleanup: $600 million

* Total FEMA money spent on the emergency: $970 million

* Estimated amount donated to 9/11 charities: $1.4 billion

* Estimated amount of insurance paid worldwide related to 9/11: $40.2 billion

* Estimated amount of money needed to overhaul lower-Manhattan subways: $7.5 billion

* Amount of money recently granted by U.S. government to overhaul lower-Manhattan subways: $4.55 billion

* Estimated amount of money raised for funds dedicated to NYPD and FDNY families: $500 million

* Percentage of total charity money raised going to FDNY and NYPD families: 25

* Average benefit already received by each FDNY and NYPD widow: $1 million

* Percentage increase in law-school applications from 2001 to 2002: 17.9

* Percentage increase in Peace Corps applications from 2001 to 2002: 40

* Percentage increase in CIA applications from 2001 to 2002: 50

* Number of songs Clear Channel Radio considered "inappropriate" to play after 9/11: 150

* Number of mentions of 9/11 at the Oscars: 26

* Apartments in lower Manhattan eligible for asbestos cleanup: 30,000

* Number of apartments whose residents have requested cleanup and testing: 4,110

* Number of Americans who changed their 2001 holiday-travel plans from plane to train or car: 1.4 million

* Estimated number of New Yorkers suffering from post-traumatic-stress disorder as a result of 9/11: 422,000

Read more: September 11 by Numbers http://nymag.com/news/articles/wtc/1year/numbers.htm#ixzz0aOwUVfQn

Whoa, hold up one second here!!!!! :agree:

No matter which way you look at it; when you lose a family member it HURTS. It doesn't matter where they die or how they die, it hurts. So in terms of death, Michael's death to US as fans was hurtful and made a huge impact because to most of us it felt like losing a family member. The deaths in the 9/11 terrorist attack were JUST as hurtful and made JUST as much impact for the family members of the people who lost their lives.

I did not lose anyone in the 9/11 attacks, so to me Michael's death is more important. That does not mean I don't care about 9/11, it does not mean I don't care about America or any other country in the world. But for me, personally, Michael's death made more impact.

Now, for someone in America who appreciates Michael's music (but nothing further) and who lost a family member in the terrorist attacks, I can imagine that to them, 9/11 has made more impact than Michael's death.

It's a personal thing, and we all have a right to feel what we want. However for the article's author to say it's ridiculous that some people find Michael's death made more impact than 9/11, is ignorant and calling Michael 'just' a pop singer, is even more ignorant. In fact, that's kinda stupid. :lol:

http://nymag.com/news/articles/wtc/1year/numbers.htm

Death, destruction, charity, salvation, war, money, real estate, spouses, babies, and other September 11 statistics.

The initial numbers are indelible: 8:46 a.m. and 9:02 a.m. Time the burning towers stood: 56 minutes and 102 minutes. Time they took to fall: 12 seconds. From there, they ripple out.

* Total number killed in attacks (official figure as of 9/5/02): 2,819

* Number of firefighters and paramedics killed: 343

* Number of NYPD officers: 23

* Number of Port Authority police officers: 37

* Number of WTC companies that lost people: 60

* Number of employees who died in Tower One: 1,402

* Number of employees who died in Tower Two: 614

* Number of employees lost at Cantor Fitzgerald: 658

* Number of U.S. troops killed in Operation Enduring Freedom: 22

* Number of nations whose citizens were killed in attacks: 115

* Ratio of men to women who died: 3:1

* Age of the greatest number who died: between 35 and 39

* Bodies found "intact": 289

* Body parts found: 19,858

* Number of families who got no remains: 1,717

* Estimated units of blood donated to the New York Blood Center: 36,000

* Total units of donated blood actually used: 258

* Number of people who lost a spouse or partner in the attacks: 1,609

* Estimated number of children who lost a parent: 3,051

* Percentage of Americans who knew someone hurt or killed in the attacks: 20

* FDNY retirements, January–July 2001: 274

* FDNY retirements, January–July 2002: 661

* Number of firefighters on leave for respiratory problems by January 2002: 300

* Number of funerals attended by Rudy Giuliani in 2001: 200

* Number of FDNY vehicles destroyed: 98

* Tons of debris removed from site: 1,506,124

* Days fires continued to burn after the attack: 99

* Jobs lost in New York owing to the attacks: 146,100

* Days the New York Stock Exchange was closed: 6

* Point drop in the Dow Jones industrial average when the NYSE reopened: 684.81

* Days after 9/11 that the U.S. began bombing Afghanistan: 26

* Total number of hate crimes reported to the Council on American-Islamic Relations nationwide since 9/11: 1,714

* Economic loss to New York in month following the attacks: $105 billion

* Estimated cost of cleanup: $600 million

* Total FEMA money spent on the emergency: $970 million

* Estimated amount donated to 9/11 charities: $1.4 billion

* Estimated amount of insurance paid worldwide related to 9/11: $40.2 billion

* Estimated amount of money needed to overhaul lower-Manhattan subways: $7.5 billion

* Amount of money recently granted by U.S. government to overhaul lower-Manhattan subways: $4.55 billion

* Estimated amount of money raised for funds dedicated to NYPD and FDNY families: $500 million

* Percentage of total charity money raised going to FDNY and NYPD families: 25

* Average benefit already received by each FDNY and NYPD widow: $1 million

* Percentage increase in law-school applications from 2001 to 2002: 17.9

* Percentage increase in Peace Corps applications from 2001 to 2002: 40

* Percentage increase in CIA applications from 2001 to 2002: 50

* Number of songs Clear Channel Radio considered "inappropriate" to play after 9/11: 150

* Number of mentions of 9/11 at the Oscars: 26

* Apartments in lower Manhattan eligible for asbestos cleanup: 30,000

* Number of apartments whose residents have requested cleanup and testing: 4,110

* Number of Americans who changed their 2001 holiday-travel plans from plane to train or car: 1.4 million

* Estimated number of New Yorkers suffering from post-traumatic-stress disorder as a result of 9/11: 422,000

Read more: September 11 by Numbers http://nymag.com/news/articles/wtc/1year/numbers.htm#ixzz0aOwUVfQn

how many bodies, or body parts should it take before a death is taken seriously? one.

in truth, there should be no comparison between these two events.

but in this world, the article writer is a classic example of how, no one can tell, anymore, if a person is sympathetic, and has a heart, or not, or if it's just a matter of making a point to express hate for an individual.

I'd say that despite the article being dumb, there's likely no ill will meant toward MJ. To many, he was not a bad guy or a saint, he was just a man and a pop star, and I think that's what this article is trying to (poorly) convey.

Obviously, I agree they shouldn't be compared though.

I'd say that despite the article being dumb, there's likely no ill will meant toward MJ. To many, he was not a bad guy or a saint, he was just a man and a pop star, and I think that's what this article is trying to (poorly) convey.

Obviously, I agree they shouldn't be compared though.

i don't know that he was looked at as just a man who was a pop star, considering the mass coverage his death has received. even the media, apparently saw him as more than that, despite the words that came out of their mouths. even the man that wrote the article that is the subject of this thread, has admitted that he left his usual gig, to make a commentary on this. so his actions betray his words.

I agree, those things should not be compared. USA is not the only country that suffered from terrorist attacks. People in Europe, Asia also died in explosions. And it doesn't matter how many people die, even if it's only one person, it's still a tragedy. It's violence and it shouldn't be happening. I remember how horrified I was watching live broadcast from NY on 9/11. And when a second plane hit the second tower, it was unbelievable, the tv news person could not even find words to comment. It was like watching a movie, only that was real life. There were explosions in Moscow also. People were killed in metro bombings. Several houses were bombed during the night when people were asleep in their beds. There was an attack on a theatre during a musical show and people were held hostage by terrorists for several days. There were bombings in London, Madrid, in Asia. And every time it was a tragedy.

Michael's passing affected me deeply. I lost a person who I loved for so many years. It was like losing someone close, a friend or a family member. I became a fan when I was 15. And ever since he was like a teacher to me, like a spiritual adviser. And in many aspects he made me what I am today. So, yes, what happened in summer affected me very very deeply. and I am still grieving.

But, once again, I think we shouldn't compare. It's not something to make top lists of...

Last edited:
This thread is really really uncomfortable for me to read. Thread closed for review.

EDIT: Thread closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back