Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

This is a great news...They have to do it someday and I think this is great time for it. It's always nice to relive that golden era and those golden hits. But I wonder who will sing the "Who's Loving You".....any guesses????

Janet Jackson Joining Jackson 5 World Tour ;

This is a thread about:
Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

Keep on the topic, there are threads about news=BSs!

MJ'S US SALES THIS WEEK

-THIS IS IT plunges from #22 to #37 (down 45%), selling 15,200 copies.

-NUMBER ONES falls from #46 to #47 this week (down 25%), selling 12,800 copies.

-Jackson's catalogue sold 66,000 albums this week down from 86,000 the week before.

-Expect sales to continue to fall slightly before bottoming out at around 40,000 to 50,000 albums per week until something big MJ happens. The months of June and August will be big for MJ album sales in 2010.

-Worldwide album sales are expected to drop much less due to the release of the THIS IS IT Dvd in many key markets including the UK yesterday and in the days to come.

Id recommend to release the official DVDs for BAD tour and reedition of Ghosts (in terms of infamous 1st year of MJs demise). The movie is so much underrated and many people would see the mastership of MJ and the visual effects (as for the year 1997)... and if it gets great promo... than wow...

Official Numbers of This Is It DVD;

MJ's This Is It has sold 1,514,843 DVDs in it's first week alone in US.
So it has earned $24,222,340 million within the first week alone!

By the way this number does not included Blu-Ray and HD DVD sales.

Official Numbers of This Is It DVD;

MJ's This Is It has sold 1,514,843 DVDs in it's first week alone in US.
So it has earned $24,222,340 million within the first week alone!

By the way this number does not included Blu-Ray and HD DVD sales.

I seen that. Unreal, if it makes over 24 million dollars in the first week in the US alone, plus we know it made over 20 million in it's first DAY in Japan... This thing is going to bring in hundreds of millions of dollars. We don't know the UK numbers yet, it will be huge there plus the rest of Japan's numbers. I believe TII will bring in over $200 million in DVD revenue alone. Wow. Btw The link is below:

http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/weekly/thisweek.php

Last edited:
MJ'S GLOBAL SALES AND 2010 UPDATE SO FAR:

-This Is It drops to #21 from #18 last week. Sales fell to 43,000.

-Jackson sold 150,000 albums this week around the world.

2010 Sales Update:

-Globally, Jackson has sold 1,475,000 albums so far this year

-This Is It accounts for 560,000 of that amount

Just a prediction, I am throwing out my first sales estimate for 2010: MJ will sell 10 million albums this year around the world making him among one of the biggest selling artists of the year again.

Can I ask - seriously, Michael has to have topped 800million records sold now surely? Its been 750million for so long...

Can I ask - seriously, Michael has to have topped 800million records sold now surely? Its been 750million for so long...

yeah, for 20 years now. lol
but all these numbers are false. also these 2 billion? now, for elvis. lol or the beatles. lol

yeah, for 20 years now. lol
but all these numbers are false. also these 2 billion? now, for elvis. lol or the beatles. lol

lol I always find it funny when fans of said acts will be so quick to defend the billion numbers, but are so quick to knock down the 750 million number. I say if you think that the billion number is correct than so is the 750 million. It's just not possible. Though, I do agree that MJ will have a stellar year again. I hope that it can keep up throughout the decade.

I seen that. Unreal, if it makes over 24 million dollars in the first week in the US alone, plus we know it made over 20 million in it's first DAY in Japan... This thing is going to bring in hundreds of millions of dollars. We don't know the UK numbers yet, it will be huge there plus the rest of Japan's numbers. I believe TII will bring in over $200 million in DVD revenue alone. Wow. Btw The link is below:

http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/weekly/thisweek.php

So... ... TII DVD has earned over 50 mill. so far... for a month... (?), and been sold over lets say 3,5 mill....

Just a prediction, I am throwing out my first sales estimate for 2010: MJ will sell 10 million albums this year around the world making him among one of the biggest selling artists of the year again.

You mean with a new album if it releases...? :scratch:

10 mill. is acceptable, but Im still expecting the professional promotion and professional agenda to keep MJs music legacy up.

No other re-edition of GHs is needed..., I would recommend to release the old Motown solo albums, Ghosts movie, and Bad tour as the official products. (the clearest example was non-existing trademarks before MJs death, that was a serious professional failure..., and I wondered why Michael Jackson the artist, didnt have registered trademarks...)

And every five years in July there should be something special in terms of the anniversary....

105397-money_makers_617_409.jpg

TOP40
http://www.billboard.com/#/news/money-makers-page-1-1004071200.story

Michael Jackson
$17,301,639
Michael Jackson was the No. 1 earner in CD and ringtone royalties in 2009, with physical album sales pulling in $13.2 million and ringtones totaling $255,000. In addition, "This Is It" became the top-grossing concert film of all time, earning $72 million at the box office, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.

MJ'S US ALBUM SALES THIS WEEK: (week of March 3rd)

-This Is It drops to #46 (down 22%), selling only 11,800 copies.

-Number Ones drops to #49 (down 13%), selling 11,100 copies.

-Jackson's catalogue sold 58,000 albums this week (down from 66,000 the week before).

-Expect US sales to bottom out around 40,000 to 50,000 per week going into the next several months.

In it's 2nd week in US MJ's This Is It DVD has sold 562,461 units.
Totalling 2,077,304 million units within 2 weeks period.
Total earnings from DVD sales so far $33,216,091 million.
Note: These numbers are without Blu-ray and HD DVD sales.

Great numbers for a Concert-Movie but actually HD-DVD format does not exist anymore and This is it wa never put on sale for that format so I won't count HD-DVD in the missing sales.

Last edited:
I don't know why it takes so long for that website to calculate DVD sales. Regardless, 2 million units is incredible for the US only. When all is said and done, I'd say 5 million units sold in the US is reasonable. I'm curious to hear about international sales too.

wow, almost 4 million units sold worldwide in 2010? That's fantastic!

^ There is no way of knowing how many copies the TII DVD has sold so far. US sales for the first two weeks are approaching 2.1 million units. (it's on its 6th week being out so sales are obviously much higher now but calculating sales takes a long time).

Japan sales were over 500,000 in the FIRST DAY (all time record), with over 1 million that week. From there, there are no further updates.

UK sales were very high but no figures were given. In Italy, TII sold 10,000 copies in it's first day (a new record) but no first week figures were given.

There are missing reports from dozens of countries all around the world. The only body can that accurately give a global sales number is Sony who knows exactly how many they shipped and how many of those have sold.

Here's my guess in the meantime:

When All Is Said And Done, Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT will sell 10 MILLION units worldwide, earning approximately $220 million dollars.

What is a record for a music DVD in the USA, UK....? I mean generally...

In fact, there is almost no information about the success of TII DVD and BR...., it seems that media ignores TII DVD...

What is a record for a music DVD in the USA, UK....? I mean generally...

In fact, there is almost no information about the success of TII DVD and BR...., it seems that media ignores TII DVD...

MJ holds the record for music DVD sales in the US and worldwide. Well music home videos.

Moonwalker is the all time top seller with 3.3 million

The Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller is the 2nd with 3 million.

But thats just music home videos. I'm not sure if this is it counts as that thought. music home videos I think are music releases that go straight to DVD. I think. Does anyone know?

as for DVD, I mean lets say U2, Britney... or whoever... who sold most?

this is DVD era, and Sony or whoever has the rights should release all MJs stuff as official products..., Ghosts, BAD or The Jacksons tours..., MJs 70s solo albums...

^ There is no way of knowing how many copies the TII DVD has sold so far. US sales for the first two weeks are approaching 2.1 million units. (it's on its 6th week being out so sales are obviously much higher now but calculating sales takes a long time).

Japan sales were over 500,000 in the FIRST DAY (all time record), with over 1 million that week. From there, there are no further updates.

UK sales were very high but no figures were given. In Italy, TII sold 10,000 copies in it's first day (a new record) but no first week figures were given.

There are missing reports from dozens of countries all around the world. The only body can that accurately give a global sales number is Sony who knows exactly how many they shipped and how many of those have sold.

Here's my guess in the meantime:

When All Is Said And Done, Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT will sell 10 MILLION units worldwide, earning approximately $220 million dollars.

I meant 4 million units worldwide including albums, singles, DVD sales, etc. Sorry for not making myself clear :p

MJ'S GLOBAL SALES THIS WEEK (week of March 5th 2010)

-THIS IS IT climbs from #21 to #14 on the global album charts due to increased demand from the release of the DVD in many key markets around the world. The album sold 51,000 copies all around the world, up from 43,000 the week before.

-His other titles also saw a small uptick in sales as well, but nothing serious.

-Overall album sales this week were 162,000 (up from 152,000 last week), that's a small increase.

-So far in 2010, Jackson has sold 1.63 million albums around the world.

Thanks for the updates smooth_criminal05. I know it's going to be really quiet probably if/when the trial starts up. I hope that he continues to sell as the decade goes on. I also hope that we get some more albums during that time.

MJ'S US SALES THIS WEEK (March 10th 2010)

-This Is It drops out of Top 50 for first time, selling only 10,000 copies

-Number Ones is #50, selling 10,700 copies

-MJ sold 54,000 albums this week in the US, down from 57,000 the week before

In it's 3rd week, This Is It sold another 337,000 copies in the US taking its total sales to 2.38 million units in the US so far. This does not include Blu-Ray units. It fell to #4 on the best sellers list from #2 last week. The DVD alone has earned close to $38 million in the US (does not include Blu-Ray).

Back